haven't read the book = confused

TiamatRoar
754th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Da Vinci Code - movie thread -" , posted Sun 21 May 02:16post reply

quote:
Discuss.

I can't comment on it because I fell asleep during it!

Rid
7071th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Da Vinci Code - movie thread -" , posted Sun 21 May 02:17post reply

c'mon, it can't be worse than the book :)

majoria's news

kofoguz
347th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Da Vinci Code - movie thread -" , posted Sun 21 May 07:49post reply

quote:

I never read the book before the movie. I guess its because I think that it will spoil the fun and never satisfies me if I'll read it. Cause most of the people who read the book (of any movie), are saying the book is better. Thats why I wont read Harry Potter : Order of the Phoenix, Cause probably movie wont satisfy me at all.
What do you prefer?
Read the book ==> Watch the movie
Watch the movie ==> Read the book

shin ramberk
269th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Da Vinci Code - movie thread -" , posted Sun 21 May 08:19post reply

quote:

I never read the book before the movie. I guess its because I think that it will spoil the fun and never satisfies me if I'll read it. Cause most of the people who read the book (of any movie), are saying the book is better. Thats why I wont read Harry Potter : Order of the Phoenix, Cause probably movie wont satisfy me at all.
What do you prefer?

Because I know that the book is going to be better, I'd rather read the book first and then watch the movie. That way, I won't be spoiled while reading the book. I'd rather preserve all the surprises for the book then the movie. Because the book is better then the movie!

But I never do this because there has never been a movie that's made me want to read the book first. I read the Lord of the Rings many times before the movies came out. I read the Narnia books when I was a kid.

I have no inclination to read the Harry Potter or the Da Vinci Code books. I don't even have any inclination to watch those movies.

So this question is kind of pointless for me. :)

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Variable Savior
364th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Da Vinci Code - movie thread -" , posted Sun 21 May 08:47post reply

quote:
What do you prefer?

The book is always better. ALWAYS. I've never seen a movie based on a book that was better than the novel.

Unless Ice Pirates was a book - I just can't believe that gem could get any shinier.

Blood marks heaven's path

Pollyanna
1808th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):Da Vinci Code - movie thread -" , posted Sun 21 May 08:57post reply

quote:

Because I know that the book is going to be better, I'd rather read the book first and then watch the movie. That way, I won't be spoiled while reading the book. I'd rather preserve all the surprises for the book then the movie. Because the book is better then the movie!

So you're saying, since the book is better, you don't want the movie to spoil the superior experience, even in the least?

I can agree with that, especially since watching the movie first cripples your sense of imagination when reading the book. I'd rather enjoy the inferior product (the movie) less than have the experience of the superior producy spoiled.

As for Harry Potter, I don't see any pain in watching the first 2 movies before the books (or even skipping the books), and I can even say you could watch the 3rd movie, then just read the last 50 pages of the book (trust me, that's the way to go), but the 4th movie is just a joke. It's a fast-paced, fun action film, but it's completely lacking everything (other than random excitement) that made the book good.

kofoguz
348th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Da Vinci Code - movie thread -" , posted Sun 21 May 10:43post reply

Actually I should have more experince the other way around.
The only experience I got Bridget Jones' Diary 2, first I read the book then watch the movie . In the movie they couldnt dare to -even- illusion of Mark as a young asian boy fetish, they use lesbian assistant who falls in love with Bridget for fall apart reason. Both ways were good but its not a good example cause its Bridget Jones...
The better one is a turkish novel "Zıkkımın Kökü"/"Root of the Poison". First I read the book than watch the movie and I couldnt enjoy the movie. Maybe other way around I could enjoy the both. I might cause seeing story getting deeper and better (knowing the original one is the book).
Well, I'm gonna read the Da Vinci Code then see it weather it works or not. If I enjoy the book more than the movie, then that means, it works for me.

By the way Polly, do you like the movie? Or have you watched it yet?

D`Cloud
136th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Da Vinci Code - movie thread -" , posted Sun 21 May 10:56post reply

uh how about LOTR?

Where Life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live.
the empty room

shin ramberk
270th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(8):Da Vinci Code - movie thread -" , posted Sun 21 May 11:21post reply

quote:
uh how about LOTR?

LOTR was damn good, but it was not better then the books. It was damn damn damn good but it was not better then the books.

HARO
43th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(9):Da Vinci Code - movie thread -" , posted Sun 21 May 13:18post reply

quote:
uh how about LOTR?

LOTR was damn good, but it was not better then the books. It was damn damn damn good but it was not better then the books.

As someone who read the books first, I'd have to disagree. I remember forcing myself through most of that shit in gradeschool only because one of my friends was ape shit over it.

I felt the movies were paced much better. One of the few instances where I actually appreciated a condenced version over the original book. I liked the emphasis they placed on the romance between Arwin and Aragorn as well.

shin ramberk
271th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(10):Da Vinci Code - movie thread -" , posted Sun 21 May 14:13post reply

quote:
uh how about LOTR?

As someone who read the books first, I'd have to disagree. I remember forcing myself through most of that shit in gradeschool only because one of my friends was ape shit over it.

I felt the movies were paced much better. One of the few instances where I actually appreciated a condenced version over the original book. I liked the emphasis they placed on the romance between Arwin and Aragorn as well.

I respectfully disagree. Peter Jackson was able to match beauty that Tolkien created but never the scope-- LOTR is far to big to be contained in three movies.

Watching LOTR the movies is like falling in love with the person you will marry. Reading LOTR the books is like living your entire life with the person you are madly in love with. Its all a matter of scope.

But hey, to each his own. Tolkien's style is not for everyone.

Pollyanna
1809th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(7):Da Vinci Code - movie thread -" , posted Sun 21 May 14:26post reply

quote:

By the way Polly, do you like the movie? Or have you watched it yet?

I haven't seen it. I actually don't go to the movies very much. I see like....2 movies a year, maybe.

As for LOTR, the books and the movies are just different. The movies "feel" quite different, even if they visually bring the books to life. I can see someone having a negative opinion of either the books or the movie based on which they encountered first, since they aren't comparable in a "better/worse" sort of way.

Ammadeau
1508th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(10):Da Vinci Code - movie thread -" , posted Sun 21 May 18:17post reply

quote:

Umm, LOTR isn't really a grade school book, unless you're in love with fantasy so much you pass over 80% of the book you won't understand. Try reading it now, as I recently have been doing. Actually, skip the first half of the first book and get right to where shit starts happening. It starts off really slow, but after that it weaves an adventurous tale.

Though I can't say it's better than the movies because as Polly already said, they are very different in the details, and they have to be because there are things in the novel that just wouldn't work in a visual medium, while on the flip side there's something an actor can do with just a look that's less elegant in a book. I wouldn't really put them above each other, especially considering the time constraints imposed on the movies that forced it to cut a lot of material.

As for Da Vinci Code, can you make a good movie out of a terrible novel? Maybe, but I have no desire to see it.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

kofoguz
349th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Da Vinci Code - movie thread" , posted Sun 21 May 23:29post reply

quote:

Though I can't say it's better than the movies because as Polly already said, they are very different in the details, and they have to be because there are things in the novel that just wouldn't work in a visual medium, while on the flip side there's something an actor can do with just a look that's less elegant in a book. I wouldn't really put them above each other, especially considering the time constraints imposed on the movies that forced it to cut a lot of material.

Valid.

quote:
As for Da Vinci Code, can you make a good movie out of a terrible novel? Maybe, but I have no desire to see it.

Is it because the catholic taboo thing or did you really find it boring -bad-awful?

simonbelmont
100th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Da Vinci Code - movie thread -" , posted Mon 22 May 01:22post reply

quote:

I can't comment on it because I fell asleep during it!

I wish I could have fallen asleep! I just wanted the damn thing to end. So boring. The only reason I went was because my friends already bought a ticket for me and I couldn't back out. Didn't read the book nor do I have any desire to now. I did read the Malleus Maleficarum in a witchcraft class I took in college. It was interesting to see that book referenced in the movie. If you want to watch a real holy grail movie check out watch 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade' or 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' again. Boo Ron Howard! Lousy ginger director needs to hire a better editor.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I can just see the idiots now digging up the Louvre looking for 'the grail'

End of Spoiler

Ammadeau
1509th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Re(10):Da Vinci Code - movie thread" , posted Mon 22 May 12:35post reply

quote:
Is it because the catholic taboo thing or did you really find it boring -bad-awful?

I find it mysterious that a book obviously written by a third grader could be so popular. Perhaps I had high expectations coming into it, but... gah, what a poorly written sack of garbage.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Rid
7074th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Re(10):Da Vinci Code - movie thread" , posted Tue 23 May 02:59:post reply

quote:
Personally, being an atheist, but at the same time quite familiar with the catholic beliefs (went to catholic high school and universities), I had expectations of some of the theories on the book, as I've read about them before. But no, the theories mostly don't make sense, and show a lack of knowledge about the subject.

And I won't even go on the writing abilities of Dan Brown, because he has none. The "action" scenes and twists were stupid. He has used the SAME plot twists from Angels & Demons.

And Angels & Demons is quite worse, it feels like the research was done on a few hours of internet digging. Pocket antimatter container LOL.

majoria's news

[this message was edited by Rid on Tue 23 May 08:05]