New Super Mario Bros. - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2337 Views )

GekigangerV
1227th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"New Super Mario Bros." , posted Wed 17 May 14:05:post reply

They game came out today and I grabbed myself a copy and I am already 3 or so levels into it. The game is alright, but not as great as some of the previous 2D platformer Mario games.

The level designs seem to mesh Mario 1, 3 and Super Mario world altogether and come out with something rather bland and the overworld is pretty dull as well. I just can't get into the levels.

The items are pretty basic. You have your red mushroom and fire flower, but there are three new items you come across. The blue mushroom that shrinks you, but makes you faster and lets you jump higer, a blue shell that allows you to bounce off walls while running and a large mushroom that just makes you ridiculously large and allows you to plow through the level for a limited amount of time. Except for the large mushroom, I am not digging the new items. I would have liked to have gotten a flying item like the tanuki suit or the cape.

However, I really like the boss fights. They are pretty unique.

There are multiple brancing paths in the levels so I guess that will allow for some replay.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Wed 17 May 14:09]

Replies:

Iron D
2695th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Wed 17 May 14:40post reply

Wow. You sound pretty unexcited. I have to admit the lack of a flying power-up sucks, but it can't be game crippling, right?

How's the music?

Zelkin. Pimped.

GekigangerV
1228th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Thu 18 May 01:51post reply

quote:
Wow. You sound pretty unexcited. I have to admit the lack of a flying power-up sucks, but it can't be game crippling, right?

How's the music?

The music is okay I suppose. Pretty much your regular new school Mario tracks. However, they do throw in a couple of old school ones as well such as the old underground levels track.

They also put in the old fanfare/fireworks thing from Mario 1 when you hit the flag pole, but I think it is only done when you meet some certain requirements.

I feel that instead of trying to create the true 2D platformer successor to Super Mario World they relied too much on nostalgia and didn't really take the game as far as it could have gone.

The new items are rather forgetable, but maybe that is just me and my weird taste. After all, I did like the boot from Mario 3.

However, I did like the addition of the wall jump as it allowed for more exploring.

Pollyanna
1803th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Thu 18 May 04:23post reply

Really, I don't care about anything but level design. So, if the level design isn't compelling, then the game isn't worth my time.

Hmmm...well, I guess memorable music is an important part of the Mario Bros. Legacy as well, but when it comes down to old-school games, it's all about how cleverly a simplistic engine is used.

exodus
3371th Post

"Re(4):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Thu 18 May 04:27post reply

I played the first level, and it was ok! I'll play more later.

This morning a cute girl with a DS sat next to me on the train and we played two player. It was like a movie!

Pollyanna
1804th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Thu 18 May 05:06post reply

quote:

This morning a cute girl with a DS sat next to me on the train and we played two player. It was like a movie!

Holy crap! That's impressive! Like having sex with a mermaid! I wonder if she felt the same way!

Exclamation point!

Mokona
361th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Thu 18 May 05:09post reply

quote:
They game came out today and I grabbed myself a copy and I am already 3 or so levels into it. The game is alright, but not as great as some of the previous 2D platformer Mario games.

The level designs seem to mesh Mario 1, 3 and Super Mario world altogether and come out with something rather bland and the overworld is pretty dull as well. I just can't get into the levels.

The items are pretty basic. You have your red mushroom and fire flower, but there are three new items you come across. The blue mushroom that shrinks you, but makes you faster and lets you jump higer, a blue shell that allows you to bounce off walls while running and a large mushroom that just makes you ridiculously large and allows you to plow through the level for a limited amount of time. Except for the large mushroom, I am not digging the new items. I would have liked to have gotten a flying item like the tanuki suit or the cape.

There are multiple brancing paths in the levels so I guess that will allow for some replay.

It's funny, I was reading Gamespot's review of the game and they seem to have a completely opposite view: Levels are short but nice, but boss fights are meh and uninspired.

I want the game anyway, I'll pick it up in June (Already bought my "game of the month" for May (Lost Magic) and I have a strict budget...) Plus, my wife seems interested in it too.

Blah!

Shooo-rook
200th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Thu 18 May 05:36post reply

quote:

It's funny, I was reading Gamespot's review of the game and they seem to have a completely opposite view: Levels are short but nice, but boss fights are meh and uninspired.

I want the game anyway, I'll pick it up in June (Already bought my "game of the month" for May (Lost Magic) and I have a strict budget...) Plus, my wife seems interested in it too.

How is lost magic?

Also, was two player good? Its mario v. Luigi right? I saw videos of that, and it looked fun... What is the objective? TO see who collects the more stars out of an allotted time?

Are you slave to the blade?

exodus
3373th Post

"Re(6):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Thu 18 May 08:42post reply

quote:

Holy crap! That's impressive! Like having sex with a mermaid! I wonder if she felt the same way!

she had a big smile as she left the train, so who knows! I didn't ask her name or anything though, that'd ruin it. Then I'd have to find out about all her horrible problems and suchlike. That event was good just as it was.

Tai-Pan
122th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Thu 18 May 13:55:post reply

quote:

Exclamation point!

LOL, sounds like those situations that nerd kids from mangas experience! But REAL!!
It would be a good NDS commercial too

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

[this message was edited by Tai-Pan on Thu 18 May 13:57]

Toxico
4189th Post

"Re(7):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Thu 18 May 14:02post reply

quote:
she had a big smile as she left the train, so who knows! I didn't ask her name or anything though, that'd ruin it. Then I'd have to find out about all her horrible problems and suchlike. That event was good just as it was.

At least things of okay if you remember the correct car, the hour and the day that you found her, if that trip was part of her rutine then you could perhaps meet her again if you arrive early to her station, and who knows? Your relationship could even evolve to a full time stalking!!! After a long time you might even show up in TV!!! or get caught and to jail....

... Remember, don't drop that soup!!

See??? He is a God...

Red Falcon
5674th Post

"Re(1):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Thu 18 May 14:48post reply

Dumb question... but are the Koopalings back?

Best site EVER:Link Here

Freeter
4336th Post

"Re(2):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Thu 18 May 15:27post reply

quote:
Dumb question... but are the Koopalings back?

Nope, but Bowser Jr. has some of their moves.

Iron D
2696th Post

"Re(3):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Thu 18 May 17:04post reply

quote:
Nope, but Bowser Jr. has some of their moves.

THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Zelkin. Pimped.

Ishmael
2480th Post

"Re(7):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Thu 18 May 22:58post reply

quote:

Exclamation point!

LOL, sounds like those situations that nerd kids from mangas experience! But REAL!!
It would be a good NDS commercial too

"Perhaps it's because 'Train Man' (the story of an otaku who wins the heart of a pretty woman) was such a hit, but recently I've seen all these dorky guys walking around in thick glasses and checkered shirts and it pains my heart to think that they may be hoping to meet some pretty girl who's going to fall in love with them. Sorry guys, the chances of that happening are zero," Sakamoto tells Shukan Bunshun.

Mokona
363th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Thu 18 May 23:36:post reply

quote:
How is lost magic?

I like it, I'm not too far into it, since I also play several other games these days too. I've finally decided to get some time on Gran Turismo 4, it was sleeping somewhere in a closet and now I spend 2 hours every day on it...
I also need to finish Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

It's a weird game. It looks a lot like FFTactics in some ways (you move from place to place on the map the same way as FFT, no free-roaming in landscapes) and there is skills-building and leveling. The gameplay is really different though. You use the stylus to select units and tap where you want them to move. The camera is moved using either the arrows or ABXY buttons (depending if you're lefty or righty) and the shoulder button triggers the Rune display that allows you to cast your spells using the stylus.
All of this is in real-time though, no turns... so it can get pretty complicated in some levels, especially if you have lots of monsters on your team and need to split your units.
All in all, I'm not that far in the game, so I haven't experienced the story fully nor have I tried the more elaborate spells.
I did try the wifi multiplayer though, and it is kinda slow as the reviews stated. But I really didn't buy the game for multiplayer (even though it's a nice plus...)
The game has some loading times too. The battle screen takes 3 to 5 seconds to load. It's not that bad, especially considering the pace the game has, but noticeable nonetheless; although once you're loaded, the game runs smoothly (in single player mode that is).

I'll definitely spend some time on that one.

Blah!

[this message was edited by Mokona on Thu 18 May 23:38]

threesixtee
890th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(7):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Fri 19 May 02:17post reply

quote:

did you get her friend code before she left?

exodus
3374th Post

"Re(8):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Fri 19 May 04:58post reply

quote:
recently I've seen all these dorky guys walking around in thick glasses and checkered shirts

it's true...that's how I dress all the time ;_;

and I didn't get her friend code, I can't connect to DS wifi at home!

quote:
... Remember, don't drop that soup!!

it's true, I might get some on my pants! or my checkered shirt!

Shooo-rook
201th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Fri 19 May 08:35post reply

quote:
How is lost magic?

I like it, I'm not too far into it, since I also play several other games these days too. I've finally decided to get some time on Gran Turismo 4, it was sleeping somewhere in a closet and now I spend 2 hours every day on it...

I heard there are like 200 spells you can do with the stylus, but most of them aren't necessary... how are the spells in general and everything?

Are you slave to the blade?

Mokona
363th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Sat 20 May 00:28post reply

quote:
How is lost magic?

I heard there are like 200 spells you can do with the stylus, but most of them aren't necessary... how are the spells in general and everything?

So far I only have the basic spells... so I can't tell you.

Blah!

bootation
524th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Sat 20 May 04:51post reply

quote:
How is lost magic?

So far I only have the basic spells... so I can't tell you.

What up ya'all. It is i Bootation here again to tell you whats up.

2 words of advice for super mario bros new 2 dev team.

Cel-Shading....

Pretty please check out my neato sweet awesome webpage

Momo
77th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):New Super Mario Bros." , posted Sat 20 May 05:18post reply

quote:
2 words of advice for super mario bros new 2 dev team.

Cel-Shading....

I've been thinking for a long time that a cel-shaded Mario game would be the BEE'S KNEES. or possibly THE CAT'S VAGINAS.

anyway, I just got NSMB yesterday, and it's pretty much awesome. the level design is great, and all the little DS-hardware-powered graphical trickery really adds a lot. I don't think it's a CLASSIC on the level of Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island, but it is a damned fine Mario game. =w=

I wish Mario's control was tighter though! I would've gone for Mario World smooth control over the 'classic' SMB feel.