Udon's Rival Schools #1 comes out tomorrow - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3182 Views )

Shin Ramberk
265th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Copper Customer

"Udon's Rival Schools #1 comes out tomorrow" , posted Wed 17 May 00:55post reply

Just a heads up, Udon's Rival Schools #1 comes out tomorrow.

And if you like Dark Horses's Conan, the third hard cover ships tomorrow. I love these Conan books. :)

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Replies:

Freeter
4335th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Udon's Rival Schools #1 comes out tomor" , posted Wed 17 May 12:06post reply

Buzzscope preview

Coppin' this one tomorrow, don't let me down Rey...

Iron D
2694th Post

"Re(2):Udon's Rival Schools #1 comes out tomor" , posted Wed 17 May 12:54post reply

Man, I miss Rival Schools.

That's it. I'm off to go play some Project Justice...

Zelkin. Pimped.

GekigangerV
1227th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Udon's Rival Schools #1 comes out tomor" , posted Wed 17 May 14:22post reply

I'll try and pick it up as well. However, I am disappointed that the Edayan cover won't becoming out in power foil or plain paper version.

HAYATO
609th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):Udon's Rival Schools #1 comes out tomor" , posted Wed 17 May 17:19post reply

quote:
I'll try and pick it up as well. However, I am disappointed that the Edayan cover won't becoming out in power foil or plain paper version.

Judging by that guy's art, this comic isn't for RS lovers, but for everyone who despises it... Capcom must hate RS even more than Cafe members hate Star Gladiator...

"I PITY DA FOOL WHO BUYS RS JUDGING BY COVER 1B"

Pollyanna
1802th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):Udon's Rival Schools #1 comes out tomor" , posted Wed 17 May 17:34post reply

quote:

Judging by that guy's art, this comic isn't for RS lovers, but for everyone who despises it... Capcom must hate RS even more than Cafe members hate Star Gladiator...

We hate Star Gladiator? I didn't know...

I always wanted to cosplay June...

Iggy
7707th Post

"Re(6):Udon's Rival Schools #1 comes out tomor" , posted Wed 17 May 20:14post reply

quote:
We hate Star Gladiator? I didn't know...

I didn't know either.
I really like Star Gladiator.
I even always wanted a good game to be made out of the franchise.

Ishmael
2480th Post

"Re(1):Conan schools you tomorrow" , posted Wed 17 May 21:44:post reply

quote:
And if you like Dark Horses's Conan, the third hard cover ships tomorrow. I love these Conan books. :)

What is in those Conan books? Are there original stories or are they all adaptations of the old pulps? From what I've seen it looks like a quality product but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on illustrated versions of stories I've already read.

EDIT: Wait a sec, that RS comic is 200 pages? Wow, you're going to get a lot of bang for your buck out of that one.

[this message was edited by Ishmael on Wed 17 May 21:59]

HAYATO
611th Post

"Re(2):Conan schools you tomorrow" , posted Wed 17 May 23:06post reply

quote:
Wait a sec, that RS comic is 200 pages? Wow, you're going to get a lot of bang for your buck out of that one.

Well, with such stylish and refined artwork, the author may well draw this amount of pages every month... perhaps in a fortnight.

Toxico
4184th Post

"Re(2):Conan schools you tomorrow" , posted Wed 17 May 23:29post reply

I never commented on the 'quality' of the comic before, but Ishmael; isn't your new avatar from it? ...The sight of it sent my head spinning like crazy, apparently activating a -until now unknown- self destruction sequence...

See??? He is a God...

samson
68th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Conan schools you tomorrow" , posted Wed 17 May 23:45post reply

OMG that sure is crapy art.
How can this can be published ?
Is that an american guy trying to draw like a japanese guy ?

Capcom and SNK have such great artists, it's a shame what those comics look like.

Hum Nona should draw a KOF graphic novel.
No wait. He should draw any kind of graphic novel. ;)

TiamatRoar
753th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Conan schools you tomorrow" , posted Thu 18 May 00:29post reply

quote:
I never commented on the 'quality' of the comic before, but Ishmael; isn't your new avatar from it? ...The sight of it sent my head spinning like crazy, apparently activating a -until now unknown- self destruction sequence...

The sight of it is even more disturbing if the first time you saw it was within the actual comic (or its preview pages, which is where it came from)

*shudder*

shin ramberk
266th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Conan schools you tomorrow" , posted Thu 18 May 00:44post reply

quote:

What is in those Conan books? Are there original stories or are they all adaptations of the old pulps? From what I've seen it looks like a quality product but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on illustrated versions of stories I've already read.

They are adaptions of the original stories. So, I don't know if they interest you. I never read the original stories but I am really enjoying the conan comic. The art is beautiful and of course, the stories are really fun.

I don't know if any new modern day conan material is being produced though.

crazymike
1233th Post

"Re(3):Conan schools you tomorrow" , posted Thu 18 May 01:02post reply

Yay, another project for Udon to get excited about then go on hiatus 6 months down the line to do a Bionic Commando comic.

Toxico
4185th Post

"Re(4):Conan schools you tomorrow" , posted Thu 18 May 02:21post reply

quote:
Yay, another project for Udon to get excited about then go on hiatus 6 months down the line to do a Bionic Commando comic.

At least THAT I'm used to see with low res art and pixelated lay out.... I'm not saying that the Rival Schools comic will be bad, but right now the Art is not one of the strong points of the product... I remember that many mangas start with low profile/bad arts to get really better drawings when the series has it's time running, this doesn't seem to be the case but at least I'm hoping that they don't screw up the storyline as it's one of the game strongest points.

Those french version Rival School comics where fun back in the day ;P

See??? He is a God...

HAYATO
612th Post

"Re(5):Conan schools you tomorrow" , posted Thu 18 May 18:02post reply

quote:

At least THAT I'm used to see with low res art and pixelated lay out.... I'm not saying that the Rival Schools comic will be bad, but right now the Art is not one of the strong points of the product... I remember that many mangas start with low profile/bad arts to get really better drawings when the series has it's time running, this doesn't seem to be the case but at least I'm hoping that they don't screw up the storyline as it's one of the game strongest points.

I bet this series isn't going to endure enough on the shelves... it'll be canned around #3 or so (just wishing here, heh ).

What I cannot understand is the reason that drove UDON to put "Darkstalkers" on hiatus just to produce this shit. I always thought that UDON adopted this measure because there was a lack of time for them to produce 2 series at the same time but I guess I was wrong...

GekigangerV
1229th Post

"Re(6):Conan schools you tomorrow" , posted Fri 19 May 06:27post reply

So I got Rival Schools today and the first thing I noticed was that it as not 200 pages, but more like 50.

The introduces Batsu to Taiyo HS where he has a lengthy fight with Hayato which takes up half the issue. When they were doing their special moves and "Burning Vigor attacks"(they actually said that aloud in the comic which came off kind of corny) they would also put the input command in a corner of the panel. There as a little bit of Hyo in there are several other characters.

Now that I have seen this artists work for a while I am getting used to his art and it looks better in black and white unlike the previews that have been in color, but I still don't like the way he draws faces.

I can't say that I didn't like the comic, but for $5 an issue I don't see myself picking this up again until the first trade paperback

At the end of the book there is an advertisement for some Sakura thing that will be out August 2006, but I can't tell if it is a comic book of Sakura or something else.

Olivier Hague
76th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Conan schools you tomorrow" , posted Fri 19 May 10:45post reply

quote:
it looks better in black and white unlike the previews that have been in color

There are black and white previews available on the site mentioned above, actually. And I think they're ugly as hell.
(not that the art is the only problem, from what I can tell)

Nate
772th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(8):Conan schools you tomorrow" , posted Fri 19 May 13:11post reply

quote:

There are black and white previews available on the site mentioned above, actually. And I think they're ugly as hell.
(not that the art is the only problem, from what I can tell)

Something's definitely wrong with the faces. I don't know what, but they're ugly. The proportions are kind of weird, but that's not as bad to me.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

KumagaiToshiro
115th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Udon's Rival Schools #1 comes out tomor" , posted Fri 19 May 18:27post reply

This book is just flat out terrible. Only reason I bought my copies is because my comics guy ordered it and it would've been a slap in the face not to. Needless to say, though, no other issues will be picked up.

Ishmael
2484th Post

"Re(7):Sakura will save us all" , posted Fri 19 May 23:28post reply

quote:
At the end of the book there is an advertisement for some Sakura thing that will be out August 2006, but I can't tell if it is a comic book of Sakura or something else.

Does anyone have any more information on this Sakura-centric offering?

Freeter
4337th Post

"Re(8):Sakura will save us all" , posted Sat 20 May 03:14post reply

"Street Fighter Legends: Sakura"
Ken Siu-Chong + Omar Dogan

Sakura spinoff with art by Dogan? Salvation indeed...

Ikari Loona
133th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Sakura will save us all" , posted Sat 20 May 07:12post reply

quote:

I wonder what kind of plot they'll tack on to this, with ryu mostly taken in the SF comic and the R crew in their own (which I'll probably buy anyway just to help support Udon - I'd really like to see them eventually taking on SNK stuff considering their SF stuff... but giving a comic to Rey, who's contribution were the least interesting, when not simply stupid, is in the very least an odd move...)... there's only so much you can do with Karin, Kei and Sakura's kid brother (not to mention the unlikely Sunburned Sakura - Gouki did praise her atitude at some point in the SF comic...)... then again, Siu-Chong did work very well with themes like Guile's marriage and his wife being Eliza's sister, which seemed extremely minor details in the official canon...

Maybe they'll find a way to toss in plenty of reference to other Capcom games, like Slam Masters or Metro City as part of some Sakura training program?...

BTW, anyone seen this?

http://www.capcom.co.jp/sfz_fg/

There's some interesting screenshots in there, where SFA ISMs (including the secret ones) seems to be mixed with the SFA2 system, and Evil Ryu gets at least Gouki's aerial kick he also had in the the CvS games (is that a parry Guile's using on the move?...), not to mention the presence of Sunburned Sakura (I wonder how much she'll be changed, other than the likely removal of her beam super).
At least this should help fix some issues with the Potuguese fighting game tournament scene, where SFA2 has remained a peculiar staple so far...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

shin ramberk
267th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(10):Sakura will save us all" , posted Sat 20 May 07:45post reply

quote:
There's some interesting screenshots in there, where SFA ISMs (including the secret ones) seems to be mixed with the SFA2 system, and Evil Ryu gets at least Gouki's aerial kick he also had in the the CvS games (is that a parry Guile's using on the move?...), not to mention the presence of Sunburned Sakura (I wonder how much she'll be changed, other than the likely removal of her beam super).
At least this should help fix some issues with the Potuguese fighting game tournament scene, where SFA2 has remained a peculiar staple so far...

I didn't believe you until I saw the screenshots. This is... very interesting. Although, I don't understand what you mean by the mixing of ISMs with the SFA2 system.

That does look like Guile performing a parry. But I'm not holding my breath. I'm still expecting this to be a 100% cut and paste job from Capcom.

Except that also HAS TO be Sunburned Sakura... and she's never been in any SFA games... very weird.

And in Portugal (or is it Brazil?) they still play SFA2 in tournies?!?!? Damnit, I got to move there.

SFA2 FOR LIFE.

Actually SFA2 - minus the broken custom combos + the complete SFA3 cast + parries = heaven.

Ikari Loona
134th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Sakura will save us all" , posted Sun 21 May 01:01post reply

quote:
I didn't believe you until I saw the screenshots. This is... very interesting. Although, I don't understand what you mean by the mixing of ISMs with the SFA2 system.

It seems you can use the SFA2 system/bar while fighting someone using one of the SFA3 ISMs - that what this screenshot that some people found, but which still can't be seen on the site seems to indicate:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/sfz_fg/screen/zero3_09.jpg

The other odd thing about it is Balrog block-pushing like in the Versus games, bt maybe it's something from Bison's own boss ISM from SFA3...

quote:
That does look like Guile performing a parry. But I'm not holding my breath. I'm still expecting this to be a 100% cut and paste job from Capcom.

Well, did did edit one sprite for Evil Ryu at least (or then again, they could have gotten it from one of the Mugen versions... =P )

quote:
Except that also HAS TO be Sunburned Sakura... and she's never been in any SFA games... very weird.

Yep... it'd look a little less odd if they weren't reusing her ugly fireball effects from MSHvSF though...

Well, at least Udon have something else they can try and toss in that Sakura-centric comic...

quote:
And in Portugal (or is it Brazil?) they still play SFA2 in tournies?!?!? Damnit, I got to move there.

SFA2 FOR LIFE.

Portugal. The guy who originally started organizing tournaments is a big fan of the game, and since people have begun training for that game for more than other more recent SFs, there's been some inertia that kept newer games out, but things are improving on that matter, and this game should really help with that.

quote:
Actually SFA2 - minus the broken custom combos + the complete SFA3 cast + parries = heaven.

The SFA2 CCs might still be there in the SFA2 mode... but maybe the regular SFA3 ISMs attacks will be stronger to make up for that?...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Shin Ramberk
268th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Sakura will save us all" , posted Sun 21 May 04:22post reply

quote:

It seems you can use the SFA2 system/bar while fighting someone using one of the SFA3 ISMs - that what this screenshot that some people found, but which still can't be seen on the site seems to indicate:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/sfz_fg/screen/zero3_09.jpg

The other odd thing about it is Balrog block-pushing like in the Versus games, bt maybe it's something from Bison's own boss ISM from SFA3...

As far, as I can tell, there are like 8 -isms in this game.

We have the traditional X- A- and V- isms.
Then a "classic" ism with no super bar and no gaurd gauge.
Then an A2 ism.
Plus possibly green, blue and red Shadowloo Isms.

Sunburned Sakura has a red Shadowloo Ism bar.
Guile has a blue Shadowloo Ism bar plus parrying?
Balrog has a green Shadowloo Ism bar plus push blocking?

Very curious indeed. Maybe this won't be a total cut paste job and will function like the SF2 Anniversary game where you can choose any character and any system. I was hoping for that all along.

We'll find out in a few days when it gets released in Japan.

Ishmael
2486th Post

"Re(10):Sakura will save us all" , posted Tue 23 May 01:11post reply

quote:

Ah, that is nice. Hopefully it will be as much fun as the Sakura Ganbaru manga.

quote:
BTW, anyone seen this?

http://www.capcom.co.jp/sfz_fg/

That's nice too. So now not only are the console only characters confirmed via screenshots but there are new characters and gameplay. Is there a definitive version of SFA3 out there? There are so many different versions of the game it's hard to keep track.

Toxico
4191th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Sakura will save us all" , posted Tue 23 May 02:16post reply

quote:
Is there a definitive version of SFA3 out there? There are so many different versions of the game it's hard to keep track.

I'm judging via screenshots and title games; but theorically speaking the most 'complete' version of Zero 3 was the latest 'Street Fighter Zero 3 upper'; cast wise I think that the best zero 3 upper was in GBA (or was it DS?) where they included all of the PSX character + some characters from CvS 2; in hardware/fps the best version was the Sega Dreamcast Zero 3 version, and I think that a Naomi port was created based on this version.

Of course as a fan we are hoping for a 'perfect' version with all the extra characters and all the fps and speed of the original game.

By the way, the pic of Sakura and Dan being freaked out by evil Ryu was priceless, man Chun li was unintentionally funny too >_<.

See??? He is a God...