Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops LOVE! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2748 Views )

Gyudon
4th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Customer

"Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops LOVE!" , posted Fri 12 May 00:07:post reply

With all the attention MGS4 is getting, it's no wonder this one is overlooked. Anyway, opinions. If I didn't already have a PSP, I'd have one for this! I mean, you get to play as Ocelot and Sniper Wolf!

Movie clip here:

http://dl.qj.net/click.php?pid=111&fid=7672

Unashamedly cut and pasted media release:

---------------------------------------------

Metal Gear Solid evolves as Konami announces an all-new action-packed single player campaign and innovative online play.

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops redefines the stealth action genre for handheld gaming systems with an original storyline that follows from the events of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and boasts ground-breaking online play that lets gamers recruit comrades to form a unique fighting force.

The single-player campaign of Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops follows the events of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, as Naked Snake establishes FOXHOUND in an attempt to hunt down the treacherous FOX unit, which has started a bloody revolt in South America. Set in 1970, the game will be the missing link in the ongoing Metal Gear saga, as players will learn more about returning characters such as Para-Medic, Major Zero and Sigint and also witness Naked Snake's greatest tragedy – a loss that sets into motion the events of later games in the Metal Gear Solid timeline.

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops delivers the series' trademark stealth-based action to PSPTM while introducing several new elements that add even more depth and variety to Naked Snake's new adventure. Using an intuitive new third-person camera that is optimised for handheld play, gamers will be able to see more of Snake's surroundings, identifying threats while also targeting the best areas for sneaking and hiding. The story of Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops will be told through fully voiced cinematics featuring 3D models and original artwork by acclaimed illustrator Ashley Wood.

As players progress through the single player campaign of Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, they can recruit comrades to create their own fighting unit. In addition to regular enemies and soldiers, players can also recruit unique NPCs depending on their actions in key situations, building an armed force to fit their style of play. Through the wireless capabilities of the PSP system, players can also search for volunteer soldiers via wireless access points.

Refining the gameplay of the online multiplayer mode from Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops lets players engage in online skirmishes through the PSP system's wireless infrastructure functionality. Players will be able to use their squadron from the single-player portion of the game as well as recruiting new members and trading with other players, unleashing their distinctive abilities and wreaking havoc across the game's numerous multiplayer levels.

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops also introduces a new "White Flag" system to the game's multiplayer modes, letting players choose to surrender and live to fight again in each round or fight to the death until the next game begins. Placing emphasis on stealth gameplay, the White Flag System further evolves online play for the Metal Gear series and creates a bond between the player and their team as they work together to achieve their objectives.

It's supposed to come out this winter. It is still some time away, so I hope that it's great by the time it comes out.

-----------------------------------------

Damn, I should've posted this in the new games thread. Oh well.. that'll learn me.

[this message was edited by Gyudon on Fri 12 May 00:10]

Replies:

Sensenic
1487th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops LOVE!" , posted Fri 12 May 05:36post reply

quote:
With all the attention MGS4 is getting, it's no wonder this one is overlooked. Anyway, opinions. If I didn't already have a PSP, I'd have one for this! I mean, you get to play as Ocelot and Sniper Wolf!

YOU'RE NOT ALONE! (hm? wasn't this a FF song? eh... whatever)

I'm also dying to get to play this! The missing link! If done right, it could be so smooth...

One thing, tho': I haven't played MGS3, so maybe this is a spoiler for me... But I'd say the gal is... Eva was his name? The chick from MGS3, I mean.
If she's Sniper Wolf... Keep in mind this is 1970, and MGS takes place later than 1999... If that's the case, she DOES have the secret of everlasting youth or sth...

Time for some long due Samus Aran love...

"It's you know like when you die and you can't quite believe it"
An undead friend.

Mav
154th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops LOVE!" , posted Mon 15 May 03:05post reply

quote:

If she's Sniper Wolf...

I won't bother answering this as a spoiler, so I'd just say play Metal Gear 3. But then again, I'd say that to anyone who hasn't played it, even if they asked me a question about a burning sensation when they pee.

Anyone else notice the presence of Norio Wakamoto (GGX's Johnny, Chiyochichi, etc) in the trailer? Him and Akio Otsuka in the same place makes my head explode with awesome.

Gyudon
4th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops LOVE!" , posted Mon 15 May 13:36post reply

quote:

If she's Sniper Wolf...

Eva and Sniper Wolf do look very similar. But the costume's IS Eva's. I just mistook her for Sniper at a glance. Still, the fact they're now going to bridge the gap between games is awesome, and I still hold out hope they'll do a Metal Gear NES remake.

I wonder which other classic Foxhound members will make their "first" appearances...

Burning Ranger
1429th Post

"Eva/Sniper Wolf Wierdness" , posted Tue 16 May 06:48post reply

I've wondered too if somehow Eva and Sniper Wolf are related...

Spoiler Ahead...

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -

The ending of MGS3 states Eva vanished in Hanoi, Vietnam, I think in the 1970s. Not that it means anything...

Unless Sniper Wolf is a clone of Eva. It certainly makes sense, right?

End of Spoiler

Nevermind...

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

Burning Ranger
1430th Post

"Eva/Sniper Wolf Wierdness" , posted Tue 16 May 06:49post reply

I've wondered too if somehow Eva and Sniper Wolf are related...

Spoiler Ahead...

The ending of MGS3 states Eva vanished in Hanoi, Vietnam, I think in the 1970s. Not that it means anything...

Unless Sniper Wolf is a clone of Eva. It certainly makes sense, right?

Oh yeah, I think Boss is Psycho Mantis's mother. Her lover (the Sorrow) was a telepath/psychic after all.

End of Spoiler

Nevermind...

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

Kyouji
47th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):The Boss' family tree" , posted Tue 16 May 08:41post reply

quote:
*Spoiler stuff about The Boss*

There's a CODEC conversation you can have with EVA right after the first Ocelot fight in MGS3 that basically reveals The Boss' son as Ocelot. This also indirectly explains why Ocelot is able to channel Liquid's spirit; his father was The Sorrow.

End of Spoiler

deisied
409th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):The Boss' family tree" , posted Tue 16 May 09:04post reply

quote:
*Spoiler stuff about The Boss*

No. It vaguely alludes to a possibility, it doesn't explain it.

Olivier Hague
74th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):The Boss' family tree" , posted Tue 16 May 09:17post reply

quote:
It vaguely alludes to a possibility

You call that "vague"?
quote:
it doesn't explain it.

What is there to explain anyway?

deisied
410th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):The Boss' family tree" , posted Tue 16 May 09:22post reply

quote:
You call that "vague"? What is there to explain anyway?

Yes, I call it vague, as it isn't the answer. I mean it's a "convenient" "coincidence", yeah. But that's about it so far. It's hardly the end of the discussion. And trust me, there's been a lot of discussion.

Besides, Kojima said it's yet to be explained, and will be in MGS4.

Sensenic
1497th Post

"Re(5):The Boss' family tree" , posted Wed 17 May 06:39:post reply

DAMMIT! I lost the post x_x
quote:
You call that "vague"? What is there to explain anyway?

Yes, I call it vague, as it isn't the answer. I mean it's a "convenient" "coincidence", yeah. But that's about it so far. It's hardly the end of the discussion. And trust me, there's been a lot of discussion.

Besides, Kojima said it's yet to be explained, and will be in MGS4.

Ehem... again...
Way to go, I spoiled myself big time... damn my curiosity :( Well, not that I'm going to play MGS3 anytime soon, tho'.

And it can be explained in MGS4 or in this one! Let's not forget this one's "canon" (and let's not forget this thread was originally about Portable Ops ).

Anyway, they have a good chance to wrap it all up nicely here. Here's to hoping Kojima and co. will do fine! ( ^_^)/

EDIT: fu, not fuu

Time for some long due Samus Aran love...

"It's you know like when you die and you can't quite believe it"
An undead friend.

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Wed 17 May 06:40]

Olivier Hague
75th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):The Boss' family tree" , posted Wed 17 May 09:44post reply

quote:
Kojima said it's yet to be explained, and will be in MGS4.

Wait. I think we're not talking about the same thing, here.

I was talking about Ocelot being the Boss' son.

Were you talking about Liquid being able to control Ocelot's body because Ocelot was the Sorrow's son? If so, we agree: that's just speculation.

End of Spoiler