What happened to all the new IP? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1737 Views )

shin ramberk
260th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Copper Customer

"What happened to all the new IP?" , posted Sat 6 May 14:06post reply

So I haven't followed the industry that closely for a while-- I still keep an eye on it though and it seems to me like there really hasn't been any new IP (Intellectual Property) being developed by the big developers for a while.

So my question to you guys, who follow the industry a lot closer, what new properties and franchises have the big Japanese developers made in the last three years?

Would Custom Robo by Capcom count? I don't count any games that have licensed characters for obvious reasons. AFAIK, Viewtiful Joe is the only new thing from Capcom in a long while.

I could be totally wrong on this. I remember when the PS1 came out, it seemed like every company was rushing out with new properties, new characters, new ideas. Now its a bit stagnant. :(

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Replies:

Korigama
102th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):What happened to all the new IP?" , posted Sat 6 May 15:06post reply

Increasing budgets and decreasing creativity (be it as a result of ineptitude of designers or developers lacking the nerve to take risks) is what.

Ishmael
2468th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):What happened to all the new IP?" , posted Sun 7 May 10:56post reply

quote:

Would Custom Robo by Capcom count? I don't count any games that have licensed characters for obvious reasons. AFAIK, Viewtiful Joe is the only new thing from Capcom in a long while.

What about Killer 7, Okami, and God Hand? They may not be your cup of tea so they slipped your mind, but as for me Capcom has been putting out some pretty neat stuff recently.

CHAZumaru
392th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):What happened to all the new IP?" , posted Sun 7 May 20:15:post reply

quote:

So my question to you guys, who follow the industry a lot closer, what new properties and franchises have the big Japanese developers made in the last three years?

Hmm off the top of my head...

★★★God-like level new IPs:
Nintendogs
Brain Training

★★Top-tier new IPs:
Monster Hunter
Kingdom Hearts
Yawaraka Atama Juku
Daredemo Asobi Taisen
Mushiking

★Mid-tier new IPs:
A.C.E.
Katamari Damacy
Sangokushi Taisen
Pro Yakyuu Spirits
Made in Wario
Gyakuten Saiban
Lumines(?)

☆Probably missed the train:
Siren
Viewtiful Joe

That's keeping it to japanese devs and mainstream stuff. A.C.E., Kingdom Hearts and Made in Wario obiously cheat a bit since they use pre-existing licenses. Of course I assume you meant new IPs that have any significant impact on sales and/or a chance to stay in the headlines for the next few years. I also cheated a bit the year some of these series began (i.e. before 2003).

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!

[this message was edited by CHAZumaru on Sun 7 May 20:16]

Rid
7055th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):What happened to all the new IP?" , posted Sun 7 May 22:18post reply

Don't forget Ibara/Pink Sweets =3

And yes, there has been lots of new licenses lately. But usually those aren't discussed on this board, as people here seem to be more interested in games with recycled 10+ year old sprites.

majoria's news