Enjoy,
Sushi

Replies:

Gyudon
0th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Customer

"More Transformers related crap" , posted Thu 4 May 01:48post reply

Gah, Optimus Prime with a mouth and gunmetal gray in colour? Someone explain how this movie was geared for the FANS!!

Here's some interview highlights from Don Murphy's Q&A session at TransformersCon

- General Motors is involved in a major way
- Soundwave may not appear until the second movie
- 5 Auobots and 5 Decepticons
- No mass shifting
- $120 Million Plus budget for the film
- Scorponok is in the film, and will have a huge battle with the military
- Classic transforming sound is in the movie

More: http://www.d13satellite.com/donmurphy/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10063

Not movie news, but... GYOOH! Behold the glory of the Masterpiece Starscream!

http://globe.visualmedia.com.hk/vm.php?art_group=talk.transformers&article_id=49679

http://globe.visualmedia.com.hk/vm.php?art_group=talk.transformers&article_id=49682

http://globe.visualmedia.com.hk/vm.php?art_group=talk.transformers&article_id=49680

http://globe.visualmedia.com.hk/vm.php?art_group=talk.transformers&article_id=49681

YeldellGW
510th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):More Transformers related crap" , posted Thu 4 May 05:17post reply

quote:
Gah, Optimus Prime with a mouth and gunmetal gray in colour? Someone explain how this movie was geared for the FANS!!

Sounds more like Primal than Prime.

Speaking of which, is Beast Wars getting a DVD release anytime soon?

Getting the original voice actors to reprise their roles could be tricky considering aging and the fact that some are dead now, but more power to them if they can pull it off.

sushi_bunny
392th Post

Silver Customer

"Tom Hanks: Optimus Prime Voice Actor" , posted Thu 4 May 11:17post reply

Uhh, is this true?

I read this somewhere in an article, I think it was Parade or Entertainment Weekly, but I don't think he's leadership enough to do the role.

Sushi

Gyudon
1th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):More Transformers related crap" , posted Thu 4 May 12:35post reply

Soundwave was jokingly stated to be a CD player that shoots out walking CD minions. I say they should have made him a PSP and have him shoot out UMDs when twisted.

quote:

Speaking of which, is Beast Wars getting a DVD release anytime soon?

Getting the original voice actors to reprise their roles could be tricky considering aging and the fact that some are dead now, but more power to them if they can pull it off.

Not sure about Stateside, but season 1's available at my local stores and online.

From what I understand, they were considering casting the original actors for Megatron and Prime (Cullen and Welker). If they don't sound too old that is.

Tom Hanks is an old rumour... but he's such a big fan that he'll SING the Transformers theme song for you!

Burning Ranger
1422th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):More Transformers related crap" , posted Fri 5 May 08:07post reply

Apparently, Jon Voight and someone else is confirmed to appear in the movie:

http://www.aint-it-cool.com/display.cgi?id=23207

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

YeldellGW
512th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):More Transformers related crap" , posted Fri 5 May 23:36post reply

quote:
That's still exciting to grown-ups? I can understand kids liking it, though I myself was always a He-Man kid. But, seriously, there are people over the age of twelve who are excited over a movie version of a boring cartoon about a bunch of emotionless robots?

Emotionless robots?! I can't help but laugh at this statement.

Gyudon
7th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):More Transformers related crap" , posted Wed 24 May 00:41:post reply

More misc news on the movie which somewhat impressed me in mostly negative ways...

Apparently the script reviews are out. They say it's from fairly reputable sources.

http://latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=25

http://www.iesb.net/dreamworks2006/052106.php

Basically:

1. Movie will have 5 Autobots and 8 Decepticons.

Autobots (close to confirmed)
Optimus Prime (Truck)
Bumblebee (Camaro)
Jazz (Exotic Sportscar)
Ironhide (Pickup Truck)
Ratchet (Ambulance)

Decepticons (names not confirmed, most are placeholders)
Megatron (Alien Jet Plane - unconfirmed mode)
Starscream (F-22 Raptor Jet)
Devestator (M1 Abrams Tank)
Bonecrusher (Mine Clearing Vehicle)
Vortex (MH-53 PAV SPECIAL OPS CHOPPER)
Brawl (Police Car)
Scorponok (Mechanical Scorpion)
Soundwave (life size radio/boombox)

2. The Transformers are searching for the "Energon Cube". A supreme power that imbues the Transformers with the gift of “spark” – the life force within all the Transformers. Hopefully they'll revise it to the Matrix later on...

3. Soundwave is a boombox that transforms into a 4 1/2 foot robot that shoots out CDs. They pretty much gimped Soundwave's presence in into some grunt who hacks into Air Force One. Although the character is rumoured to be renamed Soundbyte. Which leaves the real Soundwave to appear in the second movie.

4. Megatron appears in flashbacks, but doesn't fully appear until the end of the movie.

5. Megatron doesn't transform into a gun, tank, cannon or even a T-Rex. Nothing he is recognised for. He's now an alien jet.

quote:
Michael Bay has gone on record saying that this is not the final script and that the names are also not final. This is a sign of hope, as long as Megatron is not an alien jet then we are doing just fine.

These changes make any TF fan cringe naturally. Although it was kind of expected. The ties to the G1 universe is very very loose. They did quote quite a few battle scenes that sound great, on paper at least. The sad thing is that many TF fans hating the changes to the TF universe are now just hoping the action scenes will save the film from being a total disaster for them.

[this message was edited by Gyudon on Wed 24 May 13:26]

threesixtee
891th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(6):More Transformers related crap" , posted Wed 24 May 02:17post reply

I totally marked out when they said prime and megatron would fight ON TOP OF THE HOOVER DAM. that makes me feel giddy and a great nod to old fans. I've been patiently optimistic with this movie. if it unfolds as a trilogy as planned I can only hope the size and scope is befitting of the transformers universe. I'm hoping the second movie has starscream as the lead villain after betraying megatron, while the third movie ends up having the earth under attack by unicron (thus making it transformers: the movie: the movie).

too bad chris latta passed away ; ; starscream hasn't been the same since.

GekigangerV
1230th Post

"Re(7):More Transformers related crap" , posted Wed 24 May 11:32post reply

A couple of Masterpiece Starscream shots

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=7&itemid=9486

I am kind of disappointed to hear that Bumblebee will be a camaro instead of a VW bug and Soundwave/Soundbyte sounds pretty lame. I wonder how Scorponok will find his Earth form(monster truck rally I would be my guess).

Burning Ranger
1432th Post

"Images of the Transformer Vehicles..." , posted Thu 1 Jun 13:08post reply

According to AICN, these are images of the vehicles used in the Transformers movie.

http://www.aint-it-cool.com/display.cgi?id=23472

I only have one question:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -

How does Bumblebee evolve (?) from the 1970s Camaro to the recent Camaro concept?

And for some reason, the Decepticon Police Mustang looks cool.

End of Spoiler

GekigangerV
1247th Post

"Teaser Trailer on you tube" , posted Fri 30 Jun 03:19post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-uKst1Hd9c

Just a teaser

Gyudon
8th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Teaser Trailer on you tube" , posted Fri 30 Jun 12:34post reply

quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-uKst1Hd9c

Just a teaser

Already removed!? That was certainly quick...

Same trailer as from www.transformersmovie.com I guess...?

sushi_bunny
400th Post

Gold Customer

"Crappy Website Teaser Trailer" , posted Thu 6 Jul 19:07post reply

I don't think this teaser trailer is enough. Is that Megatron's shadow?

sushi

Samson
84th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):New Transformers Movie News" , posted Fri 7 Jul 00:00post reply

Forgive my ignorence, but isn't Transformers a toy line made into a cartoon aimed at very young kids ? Like GI-Joe, He-Man and such ?

Am I missing something ?

Ikari Loona
143th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):New Transformers Movie News" , posted Fri 7 Jul 00:17post reply

quote:
Forgive my ignorence, but isn't Transformers a toy line made into a cartoon aimed at very young kids ? Like GI-Joe, He-Man and such ?

Am I missing something ?

Years and years of accumulated fandom tend to have an interesting effect on things, such as the (re)interpretation of Optimus Prime as the ultimate example of leadership (disregarding details like most of his truck form appearing and dissapearing whenever it's convenient).

Not that different from things like trying to make sense of the plots of over-a-decade-old fighting game franchises, I guess.

Who knows what'll happen to the likes of Pokemon in a decade or two...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Ishmael
2548th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):New Transformers Movie News" , posted Fri 7 Jul 01:53post reply

quote:

Am I missing something ?

Years and years of accumulated fandom tend to have an interesting effect on things, such as the (re)interpretation of Optimus Prime as the ultimate example of leadership (disregarding details like most of his truck form appearing and dissapearing whenever it's convenient).

Not that different from things like trying to make sense of the plots of over-a-decade-old fighting game franchises, I guess.

Who knows what'll happen to the likes of Pokemon in a decade or two...

My apologies to the Transformer fans out there but I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who is perplexed by this movie. It must be hard for people to write parodies of the way Hollywood conducts business because a live action Transformers movie directed by Michael Bay sounds so ridiculous that it's difficult to believe that it's real.

So do the Transformers have some sort of cohesive, agreed upon story, mythology and universe? Or is the story a hodgepodge from the cartoons, what was written on the back of the toy boxes and whatever fans have dreamt up over the years? If it's the latter this movie isn't going to make anyone happy since it won't agree with their own personal interpretation of the Transformers.

I've written the word "Transformers" more in this post than I have anywhere else in the past ten years.

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):New Transformers Movie News" , posted Fri 7 Jul 02:45post reply

quote:

My apologies to the Transformer fans out there but I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who is perplexed by this movie. It must be hard for people to write parodies of the way Hollywood conducts business because a live action Transformers movie directed by Michael Bay sounds so ridiculous that it's difficult to believe that it's real.

So do the Transformers have some sort of cohesive, agreed upon story, mythology and universe? Or is the story a hodgepodge from the cartoons, what was written on the back of the toy boxes and whatever fans have dreamt up over the years? If it's the latter this movie isn't going to make anyone happy since it won't agree with their own personal interpretation of the Transformers.

I've written the word "Transformers" more in this post than I have anywhere else in the past ten years.

Transformers has a tremendously strong fan base and has had several successful comic book series adaptions (some that are still running). It's also spawned a few TV spin-offs, which are doing at least moderately well to this day.

All in all, it's no more ridiculous than a Mission: Impossible or Pirates of the Carribean movie, given their own inspirations.

shin ramberk
276th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):New Transformers Movie News" , posted Fri 7 Jul 05:29post reply

quote:

Am I missing something ?

I could write an essay on all of this. But I'll try to be concise here.

Yes, there exists a Transformers mythology.
Yes, there is a strong cult following for the toys and stories.

The best way to think of this is to compare it to Street Fighter fandom. There are people who only play one or two SF games and use only one or two characters and don't care about anything else. And then there are people who want to know every single bit of history and personality to every single SF game and character. That's the same with Transformers. There are folks who only like a particular toyline and particular characters and don't care for the story or other extra materials. And then, there are folks who are in love with the mythology and characters set in 1984. The story, the characters, the toys are great. Period.

And as far as this whole, "I can't believe they are making a TF movie" way of seeing things well, I'll just tell you a few things.

First, Transformer mythology is not extremely deep but it is interesting. Second, the purpose of this movie of course is to make a lot of money and sell a lot of toys. But for a hardcore fan such as myself, the opportunity of getting a TF movie is the opportunity to...

...explore cool science fiction themes with an awesome setting. This is a war of sentient, alien, transforming, robots that are fighting a covert war on Earth.
...make a really, really, really, really, kick ass summer action movie.

We'll see how the movie turns out. I'm a little worried about it (not sure if the script is good enough). I'm sure the CGI and action and special effects will be great. But without a good story, no one is gonna care about TFs in the long term. I know enough people will go watch it to make it a success.

WHO THE HELL DOES NOT WANT TO SEE A MOVIE ABOUT TRANSFORMING CARS AND PLANES THAT DUKE IT OUT ON US HIGHWAYS AND CITIES!

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

ONSLAUGHT
3605th Post

"Re(4):New Transformers Movie News" , posted Fri 7 Jul 09:57post reply

I might sound like a heretic, but I never liked the Transformers. Beast Wars on the other hand was great! Great characters, great storylines, great toys, I wish I could complete my Beast Wars collection, I'm missing a few key players.

shin ramberk
277th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):New Transformers Movie News" , posted Fri 7 Jul 14:03post reply

quote:
I might sound like a heretic, but I never liked the Transformers. Beast Wars on the other hand was great! Great characters, great storylines, great toys, I wish I could complete my Beast Wars collection, I'm missing a few key players.

Beast Wars was the Transformers series with the best stories. Bar none.

Interestingly enough, Hasbro has been celebrating the 10th anniversary of Beast Wars this year with the re-release of several Beast Wars toys. Go to transformers.com or your favorite online retailer (like bigbadtoystore.com ) for more info on the anniversary toyline.

bootation
530th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):New Transformers Movie News" , posted Fri 7 Jul 18:44post reply

quote:

Beast Wars was the Transformers series with the best stories. Bar none.

Interestingly enough, Hasbro has been celebrating the 10th anniversary of Beast Wars this year with the re-release of several Beast Wars toys. Go to transformers.com or your favorite online retailer (like bigbadtoystore.com ) for more info on the anniversary toyline.

beast Wars sucked my bal sack.

I wouldnt mind watching the beast wars anime they released in japan however. the non cgi one.

Pretty please check out my neato sweet awesome webpage

Ishmael
2549th Post

"Re(5):New Transformers Movie News" , posted Fri 7 Jul 22:19post reply

quote:
Yes, there exists a Transformers mythology.
Yes, there is a strong cult following for the toys and stories.

The best way to think of this is to compare it to Street Fighter fandom. There are people who only play one or two SF games and use only one or two characters and don't care about anything else. And then there are people who want to know every single bit of history and personality to every single SF game and character. That's the same with Transformers. There are folks who only like a particular toyline and particular characters and don't care for the story or other extra materials. And then, there are folks who are in love with the mythology and characters set in 1984. The story, the characters, the toys are great. Period.

So is there a consistent storyline that runs through all the various permutations of the TF brand or does the story re-boot periodically? If there is a single, unified story that's pretty impressive since it not only has to be entertaining in it's own right but also has to explain all the stuff that the toy manufacturers crank out every year.

While your comparison with SF sounds accurate I do hope that what it is that makes TF work is more successfully translated into a live action movie than the stealth boat silliness of the SF film. Here's to hoping it does work since transforming robots in a live action movie has the potential to be pretty cool. Who knows, this may be the first Michael Bay movie that I like.

shin ramberk
278th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):New Transformers Movie News" , posted Sat 8 Jul 02:38post reply

quote:

So is there a consistent storyline that runs through all the various permutations of the TF brand or does the story re-boot periodically? If there is a single, unified story that's pretty impressive since it not only has to be entertaining in it's own right but also has to explain all the stuff that the toy manufacturers crank out every year.

While your comparison with SF sounds accurate I do hope that what it is that makes TF work is more successfully translated into a live action movie than the stealth boat silliness of the SF film. Here's to hoping it does work since transforming robots in a live action movie has the potential to be pretty cool. Who knows, this may be the first Michael Bay movie that I like.

There have been three distinct Transformers "histories" or "universes". They are the following...

G1 + Beast Wars: Roughly spans from 1984 to 1998 and runs across approximately 10 toylines. This is the original and most loved "history" in Transformers. The original G1 toys from 1984-1986 are constantly updated into newer toys, are re-released and recreated in PVC figures or other junk. The movie is basing itself on the G1 mythology. G1 created all the important elements of Transformers mythology.

Car Robots/Robots In Disguise: Roughly spans from 1999-2001 and is only one toyline. This was the first Transformers reboot and is basically a re-imagining of G1.

Armada-Energon-Cybertron: From 2001 to 2006, three toylines. Another reboot that's basically another re-imagining of G1 with a few new things added to the mix.

A few thoughts on the TF mythology. I find the TF mythology interesting but in reality its not very deep. Transformers have a dark god and creator god (Unicron and Primus). They were also at one point a slave race for the Quintessons. The leader of the Autobots is somehow chosen by the Matrix of Leadership (some doohicky that sticks in your chest). That's basically it. There's a few smaller elements but thats the gist of it.

What makes Transformers more then just a 'toyline' is the history and characterization of its characters. G1 and Beast Wars had great characters. Beast Wars had great stories but G1 had great epic battles.

So, in conclussion, think of Transformers like SF. Some folks would find the idea of an SF movie or anime as totally dumb. While other people would see the opportunity to use a great mythology and characters to make a great, epic story.

Of course, Transformers very easily turns into a crappy anime about robots duking it out with other robots for whatever dumb reason.

Baines
160th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):New Transformers Movie News" , posted Sat 8 Jul 18:04post reply

quote:
I might sound like a heretic, but I never liked the Transformers. Beast Wars on the other hand was great!

Beast Wars being based on G1 Transformers... Lots of bits of Beast Wars directly related back to (or forward to) G1.

Beast Wars might have been even better if the creators didn't have as much interference in their writing. The toy company forced them to scrap a few ideas because the planned toy line promotions wanted focus on different characters (or altered characters.) And some stories had to be edited because they were considered too "dark" for the market.

sushi_bunny
402th Post

Gold Customer

"Q/A For Ramberk: Beast Machines" , posted Sat 8 Jul 19:18post reply

Ramberk,

What about Beast Machines? Was that enjoyable to watch from your opinion? I thought it was ok.

Sushi.

shin ramberk
279th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Q/A For Ramberk: Beast Machines" , posted Sun 9 Jul 01:07post reply

quote:
Ramberk,

What about Beast Machines? Was that enjoyable to watch from your opinion? I thought it was ok.

Sushi.

I felt the same way. The stories were less interesting, the characterization less interesting. I also thought the show was too dark. The idea of Cybertron controlled by Megatron was interesting but having the Maximals getting chased all the time got tiresome quickly.

The show just didn't have any magic for me. It was too dark. The stories weren't as fun or interesting. And the characters simply weren't as likable or fun-- even though a lot of them were from Beast Wars.

I really didn't like Beast Machines. Its a very 'controversial' TF show because its the sequel to the very loved Beast Wars. And IMO, its just not as good.

They had some interesting "philosophical" discussions on that show but it wasn't enough to make up for its poorer writing. Still better then "robots duking it out" but it was too dark, depressing and not fun.

Amakusa
675th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Q/A For Ramberk: Beast Machines" , posted Sun 9 Jul 04:12:post reply

quote:

The show just didn't have any magic for me. It was too dark. The stories weren't as fun or interesting. And the characters simply weren't as likable or fun-- even though a lot of them were from Beast Wars.

I really didn't like Beast Machines. Its a very 'controversial' TF show because its the sequel to the very loved Beast Wars. And IMO, its just not as good.

Beast Wars was good, but I don't think it was anywhere near as good as people make it out to be. The same way people think G1 is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, they tend to forget that it too had its fair share of stinkers.

When people remember Beast Wars they remember season 2... that's it. They don't remember stuff like Rhinox farting in Megatron's face or Megatron building a giant cannon with the help of a proto-human girl (which harkens back to G1-style plots in of itself). Or how about the Simon "I must raise the body count" Furman killing everyone off at the end of the show, even randomly.

When people remember Beast Machines they don't remember such things as Obsidian and Strika's intro, or Cheetor coming into his own, or the very last battle between Optimus and Megatron. They remember stuff like "they butchered Rattrap" and "Buddha Monkey" and stuff that made the show different from Beast Wars. No, the problem wasn't that Beast Machines was a bad show-- the problem was that it wasn't Beast Wars.

Get over it. Take it for what it is. The show is as much a test of character for the Transformers as it was for the viewers, and by and large it just went and showed that a lot of the fandom is filled with a bunch of petty fools, considering how this one show managed to bring out the worst of the fandom has ever seen or probably ever will (even this new TF movie won't elicit such strong reactions).

quote:

beast Wars sucked my bal sack.

I wouldnt mind watching the beast wars anime they released in japan however. the non cgi one.

You have no idea what you're asking for.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

[this message was edited by Amakusa on Sun 9 Jul 04:15]

shin ramberk
281th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Q/A For Ramberk: Beast Machines" , posted Sun 9 Jul 16:55post reply

quote:

Get over it. Take it for what it is. The show is as much a test of character for the Transformers as it was for the viewers, and by and large it just went and showed that a lot of the fandom is filled with a bunch of petty fools, considering how this one show managed to bring out the worst of the fandom has ever seen or probably ever will (even this new TF movie won't elicit such strong reactions).

Wow, everything you just said about pettiness and bringing out the worst in the fandom, is applicable to your own comment. I did not think i was petty or nasty in my original post, so I think its odd that you even mention that. Your post was rather defensive-- whats that all about?

Look, I just gave my opinion on Beast Machines. Frankly, Beast Machines was too dark, too boring and it also made a lot of mistakes with the characters. That last one can be debated, but I doubt you'd change my mind on that.

Beast Wars was not the greatest show ever, it did have clunkers and silly stuff. BUT the vast majority of the show had great episodes, great characterization and great story archs that extended over multiple episodes. Beast Machines had bad characterization, boring plots, themes that got too dark and uninteresting.

The premise of Beast Wars was so simple but the writers made that show so fun and you cared for the characters. Just about every character on that show had a fully developed personality. Dinobot was an honorable warrior. Megatron was a cunning leader with a bad temper but intelligence and sense of style. Optimus Primal had self doubt but conviction. Waspinator was just too damn fun to watch. Rattrap was a cowardly inventor who always loved to pick on Dinobot. Rhinox was the loyal right-hand bot for Optimus, smart and dependable. Cheetor was the young, naive soldier that always rushed into battle.

Beast Machines didn't have any of that. Optimus because this crazy messiah figure with hallucinations and whacked out plans ("trust me, this is a suicide mission and I don't have proof of why we should do it, but i had a vision.") Rattrap became a dishonorable coward. Rhinox a traitor. Megatron a lunatic.

But hey, its a matter of opinion. I don't think Beast Machines was complete -trash- but it was a let down from Beast Wars and it was just too damn dark and with very bad characterization. IMO. The show did have some interesting ideas but not enough.

BTW, what do you mean "a test of character for the Transformers as it was for the viewers"? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Spoon
1335th Post

"Re(4):Q/A For Ramberk: Beast Machines" , posted Sun 9 Jul 18:34post reply

Beast Wars.

I remember a scene where Rhinox and the ant guy started punching each other and then suddenly it became rock'em sock'em robots, with Rhinox winning by popping the any guy's top.

Optimus commenting on the "lost art" of die-cast construction.

There is little else I can recall with the same clarity as those two bits. And for having given me that much, I can't say Beast Wars was a failure. I simply can't remember enough to say whether or not it was good.

Baines
163th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Q/A For Ramberk: Beast Machines" , posted Mon 10 Jul 06:48post reply

quote:
Look, I just gave my opinion on Beast Machines. Frankly, Beast Machines was too dark, too boring and it also made a lot of mistakes with the characters. That last one can be debated, but I doubt you'd change my mind on that.

Beast Machines just wasn't a very good show.

Graphically, the world was dead and bland. While it was a point in the story, I think it was more a cop-out for cheaper CG work. Beast Wars managed to look somewhat alive with rock and plants despite hardly ever showing any indigenous life. Beast Machines looked like it was filmed at night in a warehouse district. Such a move certainly helps on costs, but it makes the project look cheap and lazy. G1 Cybertron had much more details, even if it sometimes looked like a patchwork quilt.

Beast Machines required that you know Beast Wars to get the impact of some of the character plots. Particularly on the poor saps that ended up working for Megatron in Machines. Machines had ties to the past, but you didn't really miss much if you didn't really know the connections.

Beast Machines pacing was awful. It would be weeks before anything really "happened," and then it would just be some minor thing like finding out the real identity of one of Megatron's lackeys. You could chop the series down to around five episodes and probably get roughly the same amount of story. Now, this is true for many shows... But Beast Machines failed in that the individual shows were so blandly generic visually and blandly lacking in story, that you had little to no reason to even watch any particular episode other than in the hope that it might be an episode where a fragment of plot were revealed. The story was dead.

And that is without really starting to analyze where Beast Machines fails (or the very few things that it managed to do right.)

sushi_bunny
403th Post

Gold Customer

"Q/A For Ramberk: Beast Machines" , posted Mon 10 Jul 15:31post reply

I don't think the dialogue was that great either. I just thought it was a different take for Beast Machines, but I couldn't quite follow too well either.

I still love classic Transformers episodes.. You just can't come up a classic Transformers phrase from Megatron:

"Your incompetence overshadows your stupidity Starscream! You couldn't lead androids to a picnic!"-God, where can you EVER find dialogue like that again? Megatron was the man.

As for story, did you ever watch Exo Squad? A friend of mine mentioned that show had a good story, but it didn't fall through. (Sorry, different subject)

Sushi

Baines
165th Post

Regular Customer

"Re: Exo-Squad" , posted Mon 10 Jul 17:15post reply

quote:
As for story, did you ever watch Exo Squad? A friend of mine mentioned that show had a good story, but it didn't fall through. (Sorry, different subject)

Exo-Squad was pretty good.

Unfortunately, it went downhill fast near the end. ("End" being before it was dropped, not before the story ended.)

The Neosapian/animal hybrids introduced around the last arc were just stupid. They basically turned a serious futuristic war story into a Saturday morning cartoon. They looked stupid. They had stupid abilities.

And it was stupid that they were effectively invulnerable. They were bulletproof and had insane healing abilities. Because they were fighting guys that used machine guns and missiles, and this was still a cartoon, so you couldn't show flesh-based creatures getting shot to pieces... So they were made invulnerable. Which basically meant the Exo-Squad couldn't do anything to them. They ignored bullets and direct missile hits only knocked them down. And they were stronger, faster, and more agile than exo-suits.

Around that point, I stopped caring. And the show didn't last much longer.

Bootation
533th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Re: Exo-Squad" , posted Tue 11 Jul 04:29post reply

quote:

Exo-Squad was pretty good.

Unfortunately, it went downhill fast near the end. ("End" being before it was dropped, not before the story ended.)

The Neosapian/animal hybrids introduced around the last arc were just stupid. They basically turned a serious futuristic war story into a Saturday morning cartoon. They looked stupid. They had stupid abilities.

And it was stupid that they were effectively invulnerable. They were bulletproof and had insane healing abilities. Because they were fighting guys that used machine guns and missiles, and this was still a cartoon, so you couldn't show flesh-based creatures getting shot to pieces... So they were made invulnerable. Which basically meant the Exo-Squad couldn't do anything to them. They ignored bullets and direct missile hits only knocked them down. And they were stronger, faster, and more agile than exo-suits.

Around that point, I stopped caring. And the show didn't last much longer.

I also liked exo squad quite alot. Cool story awesome mechs. They had some weird exo squad robotech tie in the toy stores. No doubt some cheap gimmick the toy companies to make a quick buck.

Bastards.

Wolf Bronson was the man.

exodus
3444th Post

"exo squad" , posted Tue 11 Jul 05:48post reply

quote:
did you ever watch Exo Squad?

is it about me?

is it about....several of me?

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re: Q/A For Ramberk: Beast Machines" , posted Wed 12 Jul 10:02:post reply

quote:
I don't think the dialogue was that great either. I just thought it was a different take for Beast Machines, but I couldn't quite follow too well either.

I still love classic Transformers episodes.. You just can't come up a classic Transformers phrase from Megatron:

"Your incompetence overshadows your stupidity Starscream! You couldn't lead androids to a picnic!"-God, where can you EVER find dialogue like that again? Megatron was the man.

The movie (which, until recently, I would watch it at least monthly) had a number of notable quotes. Pretty much anything Megatron, Starscream, Rumble, Galvatron, or Unicron said was a keeper, and even Optimus, Hot Rod, Soundwave, Springer and Grimlock had some great lines.

And the voice acting in the movie was fabulous. Consider Megatron's (Frank Welker) bargain with Unicron (Orson Welles) or Galvatron's (Leonard ) betrayal of Unicron. There are few films, let alone cartoon movies, that have as well delivered dialog as those pieces. That they are accompanied by stunning visuals is just out of this world.

[this message was edited by emagius on Wed 12 Jul 10:25]

sushi_bunny
405th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Re: Q/A For Ramberk: Beast Machines" , posted Wed 12 Jul 14:13:post reply

I couldn't agree with you more - you cannot find so much emotion emphasized in that movie. Even Judd Nelson was perfect for the Hot Rod voice actor.. The pacing, the visuals, the voice emphasis.. Such a powerful film.

Delivery, Presentation, Voice Acting... they totally were serious about making this movie. Unfortunately, my dad fell asleep through this movie when I was 11 .. -_-

I highly think nothing can ever defeat that movie.. not even this new live action one coming out.. God, good scripting.. I wish I could go to Bot-Con to recite lines with people about this film. I still remember this quote to this day:

PRIME: "One shall stand... one shall fall"

MEGATRON: "Why risk your life so recklessly, Optimus PRIME?"

PRIME: "That's a question that you should ask yourself MEGATRON!"

- Oh, don't forget Erik Idle's quote as Wreck-Gar :

"Eliminates even the toughest stains!"

If you want more: read the script:

http://www.spudart.org/transformers/script.html

BTW: The Special Edition should come out this September or so. I can't wait to purchase it. I hope it's a widescreen version.

Sushi

[this message was edited by sushi_bunny on Wed 12 Jul 14:35]

GekigangerV
1251th Post

"Re(2):Re: Q/A For Ramberk: Beast Machines" , posted Wed 12 Jul 14:54post reply

I agree that there were some pretty go quotes in the original Transformers movie. Even though they overplayed that "Touch" song it was pretty good.

You got the touch
You got the PAWAAA!
YEAH!

BTW

Has there been any news on the toyline for the movie yet? I hope they release Altenators scale figures for the movie characters. But I guess that might be too much for the jets.

shin ramberk
283th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re: Q/A For Ramberk: Beast Machines" , posted Thu 13 Jul 05:50post reply

quote:
I agree that there were some pretty go quotes in the original Transformers movie. Even though they overplayed that "Touch" song it was pretty good.

You got the touch
You got the PAWAAA!
YEAH!

BTW

Has there been any news on the toyline for the movie yet? I hope they release Altenators scale figures for the movie characters. But I guess that might be too much for the jets.

No news on the Movie toyline. Hasbro is releasing a new series called "Transformers Classics". The toyline is basically an re-creation of many of the original, G1 toys with modern toy-making techniques. Basically, Classics look like G1 toys except they are bigger and a lot more poseable and arguably, better sculpted. I'm really excited about the line.

I am very fearful of the movie and its toyline. Everything is looking to me very slapped together and disorganized. As if there was no cohesive artistic mind behind the movie and just a junked out group-thought organization to it.

Oh friggen well. Hasbro-- I hope you didn't blow the best chance to make Transformers #1 and mainstream again.

YeldellGW
530th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re: Q/A For Ramberk: Beast Machines" , posted Thu 13 Jul 09:55post reply

All this talk about Beast Wars and Beast Machines reminded me, I saw the Beast Machines series on DVD already but still haven't seen heads or tails of the Beast Wars series yet.

Time to do some digging...

sushi_bunny
405th Post

Gold Customer

"Ramberk: Die - Cast and Synth music" , posted Sat 15 Jul 05:13post reply

No news on the Movie toyline. Hasbro is releasing a new series called "Transformers Classics". The toyline is basically an re-creation of many of the original, G1 toys with modern toy-making techniques. Basically, Classics look like G1 toys except they are bigger and a lot more poseable and arguably, better sculpted. I'm really excited about the line.

-I'm not convinced Hasbro America will make them die-cast, nor bring back Megatron as a Walther P38 die cast. Optimus's smoke stacks will be altered too, from what I heard from friend of mine... Japanese Takara stuff is really expensive...

sushi

BTW, I also liked "Dare", not to mention I love Vince DiCola's music, especially from Rocky 4. Synth music like Vangelis or DiCola can never be recreated again since the generation now may think it's outdated. I don't think so.

shin ramberk
284th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Ramberk: Die - Cast and Synth music" , posted Sat 15 Jul 09:58post reply

quote:

-I'm not convinced Hasbro America will make them die-cast, nor bring back Megatron as a Walther P38 die cast. Optimus's smoke stacks will be altered too, from what I heard from friend of mine... Japanese Takara stuff is really expensive...

sushi

BTW, I also liked "Dare", not to mention I love Vince DiCola's music, especially from Rocky 4. Synth music like Vangelis or DiCola can never be recreated again since the generation now may think it's outdated. I don't think so.

Transformers Classics, will be plastic. The toyline includes an Optimus Prime that looks like a modern semi-truck. A Megatron that looks like a nerf gun (its an acceptable choice I think). A Starscream that looks like an F15 jet but has a much better robot form. A Hot Rod that looks like a G1 Hot Rod but very poseable and much better looking robot mode. An Astrotrain figure that has a modern bullet train mode, a decent space shuttle mode and a very good robot mode. Plus a Bumblebee that sorta looks like a VW bug but has a great robot mode. Go to www.transformers.com for pictures.

Hasbro and Takara both released G1 reissues. These are basically re-releases of the old G1 toys. Takara released G1 "gun" Megatron but Hasbro couldn't because modern toy laws dictate you can't sell realistic looking toy guns. The smokestacks on G1 Prime had to be shortened because of modern safety standards-- there was a fear that the long stacks would break and a kid would choke on them. Both companies used diecast in their figures. But Hasbro had to make other changes like longer missiles, to accomodate modern saftey laws. Takara figures were just about exact replicas of the originals.

Interestingly enough, Hasbro is releasing a new Transformers sub-line called Transformers Titanium that uses diecast in the figures. This line takes figures from different toylines and puts them in 3" and 6" sizes. Only the 6" size figures can transform.

And Beast Wars has been released on DVD, but it might be hard to find.

I did love TF the movie. The music and everything. Still watch it routinely. Unicron's theme is very memorable. And it did have great lines.

Gyudon
10th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Ramberk: Die - Cast and Synth music" , posted Sun 16 Jul 01:38post reply

Posted on Aint it Cool News (and since removed for some reason...)

Behold what is presumed to be the Real Optimus Alternate Form in the new movie.

The flames make him stronger!

GekigangerV
1253th Post

"Re(2):Ramberk: Die - Cast and Synth music" , posted Sun 16 Jul 09:53post reply

quote:
The smokestacks on G1 Prime had to be shortened because of modern safety standards-- there was a fear that the long stacks would break and a kid would choke on them.

I always thought that was hogwash. Those smokestacks were short enough. The thing they had to watch out for was Optimus' loose hands. I remember having those in my mouth from time to time.

quote:
Posted on Aint it Cool News (and since removed for some reason...)

Behold what is presumed to be the Real Optimus Alternate Form in the new movie.

The flames make him stronger!

That paint schemes Decepticon-ish to me. If that is the real thing I wonder how his transformation will go. If its similar to G1, they will need to fold up the grill a lot and I don't see the back folding down to make the legs long enough. But maybe they will just slide out a little to add some length.

On a side not, I can't stand the aintitcool talkback board.

sushi_bunny
407th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Ramberk: Die - Cast and Synth music" , posted Sun 16 Jul 10:22post reply

"So here we are. Below I have a still taken by a long-time and trusted spy deep within Dreamworks' infrastructure from some exterior shooting of TRANSFORMERS. It is of the vehicle form of Optimus Prime. Yes, he's a truck. Yes, he's red. Yes, he's totally Michael Bay-ized."

I hope Optimus isn't Michael "Gay-ized" -- need to go back, relax and dig up my Transformers Animated Movie..

sushi

shindekudasai
116th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Ramberk: Die - Cast and Synth music" , posted Sun 16 Jul 12:52post reply

FUCK. I can only now pray that that photo was a fake ... it's dissapointing that they're going with the "Laser Rod" Prime from G2. I was really hoping to see a be-all-end-all-kick-ass-and-take-no-prisoners version of the G1 body ... sigh.

This must be karma taking revenge on me about the Valis porn.

Wither Blister Burn + Peel

GekigangerV
1261th Post

"Optimus Prime voice actor announced." , posted Sat 22 Jul 11:40post reply

quote:
FUCK. I can only now pray that that photo was a fake ... it's dissapointing that they're going with the "Laser Rod" Prime from G2. I was really hoping to see a be-all-end-all-kick-ass-and-take-no-prisoners version of the G1 body ... sigh.

Interesting . . . I've never seen the toy to "Laser Rod" Prime before. Although that trucks seems accurate to that Prime, I was hoping for G1.

Also in other news. Peter Cullen the original and true voice of Optimus Prime will voice him in the movie.

http://superherohype.com/news/transformersnews.php?id=4540

Bootation
534th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Optimus Prime voice actor announced." , posted Sat 22 Jul 13:52post reply

quote:

Interesting . . . I've never seen the toy to "Laser Rod" Prime before. Although that trucks seems accurate to that Prime, I was hoping for G1.

Also in other news. Peter Cullen the original and true voice of Optimus Prime will voice him in the movie.

http://superherohype.com/news/transformersnews.php?id=4540

Awesome! I love that guys voice. They should use the old school megatron son.

sushi_bunny
408th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Optimus Prime voice actor announced." , posted Sat 22 Jul 18:32post reply

The original voice of Transformers' Optimus Prime, Peter Cullen, will also voice the character in Paramount's anticipated big screen adaptation. Cullen made the announcement over the phone during the studio's presentation at the San Diego Comic-Con today.

This has to be a late April Fool's joke... If this is super true, I don't know how many people had roared hearing that at SDCC... Peter Cullen better do Ironhide too if possible. If I was there and that was true, I'd roar too.

I hope that they get the original voice actor for Bumblebee / Goldbug. Still, I didn't like Bumblebee being a Camaro. I think a Mini-Cooper would of been good too. It's sad that Volkswagen doesn't want to promote their vehicle used for war purposes to remind people of the World Wars.. But then again, it's an Autobot...

Just watching old TF eps made me smile.... I wish they made Defcon a materialized toy.

PLEASE BRING BACK VINCE DICOLA!!! PLEASE!!!!

PLEASE LET ALL THE CAST MEMBERS OF TF THE MOVIE BE AT BOTCON NEXT YEAR WITH VINCE DICOLA!!!!

Sushi

shindekudasai
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Optimus Prime voice actor announced." , posted Sat 22 Jul 21:51post reply

Here's a gallery of Laser Prime from G2, for those who haven't seen.

Tread Lightly

Wither Blister Burn + Peel

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Optimus Prime voice actor announced." , posted Sun 23 Jul 05:12post reply

quote:

Awesome! I love that guys voice. They should use the old school megatron son.

Frank Welker has sent in an audition tape for Megs. He's got to be a shoe-in for the part, given how prolific and talented he is as a voice actor. Now to get Casey Kasem back as his host of characters...

sushi_bunny
410th Post

Gold Customer

"This is the worst interview ever on MTV" , posted Wed 9 Aug 14:21post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQsfRLPavCU

Who the hell is MAGNATRON???

sushi

Mozex
323th Post

Bronze Customer

"Widescreen" , posted Wed 9 Aug 23:37post reply

quote:
BTW: The Special Edition should come out this September or so. I can't wait to purchase it. I hope it's a widescreen version.

From the wikipedia entry:
quote:
#
Despite the fact the the trailer hails the film as "spectacular widescreen action," Transformers: The Movie was actually animated in 4:3 "fullscreen" format (as proven by animation cels acquired by fans and Metrodome's Reconstructed DVD). The feature was vertically cropped to widescreen dimensions for theatrical showings - a practice was frequent with animated films during the 70s and 80s, including those from Disney - and released in fullscreen on home video and DVD. The 20th anniversary release of the movie by Sony, however, will again feature the cropped widescreen presentation.

Be kind to goblins.

GekigangerV
1266th Post

"Toy/Movie Conept pictures" , posted Sun 20 Aug 13:30post reply

These were released earlier this morning, but it appears most places have taken them down.

Blackout Toy

Movie Concept

Scorpinok toy

Starscream

Optimus Prime

You can tell they went for something definetly alien for the robot modes, but I am not digging it. Other than blackout, everyone else doesn't seem that interesting. Starscream just plain sucks.

D`Cloud
138th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Toy/Movie Conept pictures" , posted Sun 20 Aug 15:24post reply

OH... DEAR GOD NO!

Where Life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live.
the empty room

Burning Ranger
1441th Post

"Re(1):Toy/Movie Conept pictures" , posted Mon 21 Aug 07:19post reply

I also saw these on AICN.

I think the designs look interesting. It makes them look alien (which is what the Autobots and Decepticons really are). Whether I think they'll work or not, I'll just wait and see the movie in motion.

sushi_bunny
411th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Toy/Movie Conept pictures" , posted Mon 21 Aug 08:15post reply

quote:
I also saw these on AICN.

I think the designs look interesting. It makes them look alien (which is what the Autobots and Decepticons really are). Whether I think they'll work or not, I'll just wait and see the movie in motion.

I think they look like McFarlane's creations or something. They remind me of Cain from RoboCop 2, or even that lame Virus movie from Jaime Lee Curtis. Prime looks .... weird. Very different though.

Sushi

HAYATO
634th Post

"Re(1):Toy/Movie Conept pictures" , posted Mon 21 Aug 16:29post reply

quote:
These were released earlier this morning, but it appears most places have taken them down.

Blackout Toy

Movie Concept

Scorpinok toy

Starscream

Optimus Prime

You can tell they went for something definetly alien for the robot modes, but I am not digging it. Other than blackout, everyone else doesn't seem that interesting. Starscream just plain sucks.

Wow, I never thought Transformers could look that cool. I definitely prefer the new designs, they are much more stylish than the old ones...

trogdor
62th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Toy/Movie Conept pictures" , posted Mon 21 Aug 19:12post reply

The new designs look pretty sweet. I would like to see how their transformations are animated.

nobinobita
44th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):Toy/Movie Conept pictures" , posted Tue 22 Aug 00:53post reply

quote:

I think they look like McFarlane's creations or something. They remind me of Cain from RoboCop 2, or even that lame Virus movie from Jaime Lee Curtis. Prime looks .... weird. Very different though.

Agreed.

They all have a semi grotesque McFarlane feel to them.

The re-designs aren't as bad as I feared they'd be, but I think they could be better.

I think they look cool, but they don't have the iconographic appeal of the original designs. They just all look like cool killer robots, with very little distinction (and too many moving parts to be immediately striking).

For instance, in the new designs, Prime has the same silhouette as Bumble Bee.

I'm not saying they have to look just like the originals, just that they disregarded alot of what was cool about the G1 designs.

The G1 designs worked because the robots visually reflected the vehicles they turned into, which reflected something of their character.

Prime was big and sturdy and boxy like a truck. Bumblebee was squat and round and friendly like a Volkswagon Beetle. Megatron was sharp and aggressive and utilitarian like a gun.

I don't get any of that from the new designs, well, cept for the feeling that all the decepticons now scream "EVIL!!!".

Also, the decepticon faces look dumb.

But i'll still watch the movie, and maybe i'll feel different after i do.

Mokona
374th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Toy/Movie Conept pictures" , posted Tue 22 Aug 01:13post reply

When I see that, I wonder why they bother naming the characters like in the series... It's even worse than having a black Kingpin in Daredevil or changing Bosley to Bernie Mac in Charlie's Angels 2 (Which, thankfully, I haven't seen...)

I mean, these are transformers alright, they are robots that transform... But I thought they were aiming at something that was more the old-school G1 transformers type... this looks like the more recent transformers (that I haven't watched...)

I just don't know... I don't want to judge before having seen the movie. The story is what will do it for me in the end. I don't mind that much that they change all these things... just say: "we're doing a brand new transformers live action movie, it won't look like the originals that much, but you'll love it anyway!" Then I'd follow them with more faith...

Blah!

Ishmael
2594th Post

"Re(5):Toy/Movie Conept pictures" , posted Tue 22 Aug 01:38post reply

When people discuss the older look of the Transformers what exactly are they talking about? The original toys that would tranform into hunks of abstract art with gigantic, violent genetalia? The simplified designs seen on the cartoon? Whatever it is they picture the characters looking like in their mind's eye when they think about Transformers?

Nobinobita
45th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):Toy/Movie Conept pictures" , posted Tue 22 Aug 01:48post reply

quote:

this looks like the more recent transformers (that I haven't watched...)

I just don't know... I don't want to judge before having seen the movie. The story is what will do it for me in the end.

That's a good point. They DO look like the cg Beast Wars transoformers, which i thought were horrificially ugly at first (and still do), but I got over how they looked cos I enjoyed the story.

Still, somehow I don't see the Transformers movie having a really compelling story, unlike say Charlie's Angels 2, a modern allegory about Lucipher's fall from grace and man's relationship with God (no really!).

Nobinobita
46th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):Toy/Movie Conept pictures" , posted Tue 22 Aug 02:02post reply

quote:
Whatever it is they picture the characters looking like in their mind's eye when they think about Transformers?

I was thinking more along the lines of these:

transformers Binaltech series, where they turn from very realistic licensed vehicles to clunky, but neat robots:

http://www.microforever.com/BT08MeisterVRM.htm

or even these:
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2933/hj806mpss0re.jpg

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4273/primekibble0dq.jpg

Those last 2 were hotly debated designs(well, among transformers geeks). Alot of people hated them, but I think they worked out just fine.

If you really want to see some bitching and moaning about even the slightest deviations from the original designs, then check out this transformers forum:

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9026

D`Cloud
140th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Toy/Movie Conept pictures" , posted Wed 23 Aug 23:32:post reply

quote:
Whatever it is they picture the characters looking like in their mind's eye when they think about Transformers?

I was thinking more along the lines of these:

transformers Binaltech series, where they turn from very realistic licensed vehicles to clunky, but neat robots:

http://www.microforever.com/BT08MeisterVRM.htm

or even these:
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2933/hj806mpss0re.jpg

Those last 2 were hotly debated designs(well, among transformers geeks). Alot of people hated them, but I think they worked out just fine.

If you really want to see some bitching and moaning about even the slightest deviations from the original designs, then check out this transformers forum:

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9026

yep i agree.. atleast it should resemble the original.. you can alter some parts to make it realistic but not to totally alter everything into something that doesnt even resemble the old design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbK9rGhFYmQ this ones a fake but ressembles the original one.. they could adjust some parts here and there since this one transforms pretty lame

Where Life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live.
the empty room

[this message was edited by D`Cloud on Wed 23 Aug 23:40]

HAYATO
636th Post

"Re(7):Toy/Movie Conept pictures" , posted Thu 24 Aug 16:52post reply

quote:

LOL!!! I knew Optimus Prime was a tough guy, but it looks even more macho with this gal tatooed in its arm... And what does it have in its right arm? It looks as if it were lifting wheights...

GekigangerV
1267th Post

"Megatron" , posted Fri 25 Aug 07:34post reply

Alien Jet Mode

Zoom in of Robot Mode

head

head 2

Ishmael
2600th Post

"Re(1):Megatron" , posted Fri 25 Aug 10:02post reply

quote:
Alien Jet Mode

Zoom in of Robot Mode

head

head 2

I would check that Transformers forum that Nobinobita mentioned to see what they thought of Megatron's design but I'm guessing the place is on fire at the moment.

nobinobita
48th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Megatron" , posted Fri 25 Aug 15:43:post reply

quote:
Alien Jet Mode

Zoom in of Robot Mode

head

head 2

Oh man! Those are weird!

I almost like it, ALMOST. I mean, from a purely visual standpoint it kinda looks cool. It's a neat take on blending organic and mechanical forms.

I like the way the exterior plates recall both human muscles and beetle parts (i mean the insect)but it lacks cohesion and refinement.

I just feel like it's too busy, and it doesn't have a very good silhouette at all. The legs just go into the waist, there's no real pelvis.

I know it's not human, and doesn't need to adhere to human proportions, but it looks awkward.

Here are some designs that I think are similar, but more successful:

Last Man

Last man again

IBID

Guyver

But of course, I am heavily partial to Japanese stuff.

I feel like American conceptual artists tend to throw in too many parts in their mecha designs.

To me it doesn't read as more "realistic", it just makes it harder for me to concentrate on the whole form.

I felt the same way about the WETA Evangelion redesigns (which this Megatron seems to borrow his head from)

Also, if he turns from a cool bio-organic robot into a cool bio-organic jet, it sorta loses the novelty of transformation cos he doesn't really turn into something familiar.

Oh yeah, and one more thing...
That doesn't look like Megatron!!!

But it'll probably look real cool when its moving, and i'm going to see the movie anyway.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Fri 25 Aug 17:17]

sushi_bunny
414th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Megatron" , posted Sun 27 Aug 04:37post reply

Alien Jet Mode

Zoom in of Robot Mode

head

head 2

Ohhhhh no... (Sighhhhhhh....)

Sushi

D`Cloud
140th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Megatron" , posted Sun 27 Aug 14:19post reply

quote:
Alien Jet Mode

Zoom in of Robot Mode

head

head 2

what in the dog fuck is that!?!?! doesnt look half like megatron! micheal bay that fuckhead.

the empty room