Things to do in Dallas - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2615 Views )

Maese Spt
225th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Frequent Customer

"Things to do in Dallas" , posted Fri 28 Apr 20:35post reply

Hey, boys and girls.

I *might* go to Dallas in June on a 4 days business trip. The exact place is Lake Gravepine. It would be my first time in the States, so any tips or orientations would be most welcome.

Perhaps some fellow MMCafers know the place and could point me to any interesting place around Dallas, I really have no idea what to expect from there. Needless to say, knowing some fancy arcade centers and well stocked bookshops would rock. Thanks in advance /v/, err, I mean, MMCafe!

MATSUKEN SAMBA!!!

Replies:

Juke Joint Jezebel
3508th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Things to do in Dallas" , posted Sat 29 Apr 03:55post reply

chill out with Ferd, sex parties, etc

crazymike
1226th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Things to do in Dallas" , posted Sat 29 Apr 03:58post reply

Go to A-kon, rent a hotel room, get drunk, get laid, watch hentai.

Toxico
4171th Post

"Re(2):Things to do in Dallas" , posted Sat 29 Apr 04:48post reply

quote:
Go to A-kon, rent a hotel room, get drunk, get laid, watch hentai.

This advice is more like 'be in a hentai'; it even looks like your avatar is saying so...

By the way Maese, have you tried to search for Travel Agencies within Dallas?? Usually when I want to find libraries or musseum that I don't exactly recall WHERE they where I pretend to a turist and ask for info about the place that I'm looking for, if the travel agency is being sponsored by the state then odds says that the maps and tour promos are free, most of the time people are kind enough to mark in the map the place that I want to find and tell me what methods of transport can be used to reach there, I'm such a good actor, playing the foregein role like that in my own hometown

See??? He is a God...

Mav
148th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Things to do in Dallas" , posted Sat 29 Apr 09:09post reply

I live in Dallas! As for stuff to do, it's a better town to live in than visit...

A-kon is in early June, but is vast becoming a paragon of a stereotypically poorly-run convention* stocked with archetype otaku. Still, it's a massive 'con and there's always some good folks around and good times to be had.

All the best arcades in Dallas are gone. If you're in Grapevine, you'll find something to do at Gameworks. It's always more expensive than it's worth, but it's one of those where you're paying for environment. Supposedly!
A better arcade choice might be Cybertown in Firewheel mall. It's open almost as late, and has a stock of better-kempt newer arcade games at better prices. Some of the newer things to be found there include KOFXI, Mario Kart and the new House of the Dead. Also, the newest Tekken (Dark... something) and new-ish Samurai Showdown.
If you need, I can give directions to either place from your Grapevine location.

As for other cool stuff, well... we have a ton of gamers in Dallas, but not a lot to do. Depends on what you do for fun. I keep a lot of hobbies.

*Just look at the t-shirt design winner to fortify this arguement. Here's all the entries in their rigged contest. Guess which one won? Give up? It's Hightower. Convienently a friend of the committee! I wanna' nailbat anyone wearing that garbage. The "Pirates vs. Ninja" thing is some theme this year, which I would additionally nailbat, if it weren't a nebulous concept.

shotokan anime
28th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Things to do in Dallas" , posted Sat 29 Apr 10:13post reply

quote:
Hey, boys and girls.

I *might* go to Dallas in June on a 4 days business trip. The exact place is Lake Gravepine. It would be my first time in the States, so any tips or orientations would be most welcome.

Perhaps some fellow MMCafers know the place and could point me to any interesting place around Dallas, I really have no idea what to expect from there. Needless to say, knowing some fancy arcade centers and well stocked bookshops would rock. Thanks in advance /v/, err, I mean, MMCafe!

shotokan anime
29th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Things to do in Dallas" , posted Sat 29 Apr 10:17post reply

my bad on the bump
i live 5 minutes away for where you will be. its the gaylord texan (make your brokeback mountain joke here) that you'll prolly be staying at. Where are you coming from? If you want you can email me and I can show you around. I used to have an anime store here in the midcities which had an arcade but i got out of that racket a while back. There still might be an okay arcade in iring thoug, but i haven't been there in a while. The loss of an arcade is pretty sad as even the mall arcade closed this january ( it sucked though)

Mav
150th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Things to do in Dallas" , posted Sat 29 Apr 11:04post reply

quote:
The loss of an arcade is pretty sad as even the mall arcade closed this january ( it sucked though)

I haven't been there in ages, but it doesn't suprise me. That mall was on the crap side while Roger's arcade was there, and it only got worse. I was told he'd moved somewhere in Arlington or some place more remote and hadn't received a new product since he sent KOF:Neowave back. The small resurgence of arcades in the late 90s/early 2000s has already died. The only reason we have ONE good arcade left is because Cybertown can sell booze and it makes their boss happier than tokens ever could.

shotokan anime
30th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Things to do in Dallas" , posted Sat 29 Apr 12:02post reply

That sucks. i think that shotokan still might have one or two of their games. I haven't been there since the store moved to the old post office. It broke my heart to see the loss of Trajan and then have ben turn it into a magic shop. Magic the gathering is the antianime since the wonderful anime people are run off by the incredablity smelly magic 30 something losers. Its a shame about Roger. Did he ever get the fist of the north star game?

quote:
The loss of an arcade is pretty sad as even the mall arcade closed this january ( it sucked though)

I haven't been there in ages, but it doesn't suprise me. That mall was on the crap side while Roger's arcade was there, and it only got worse. I was told he'd moved somewhere in Arlington or some place more remote and hadn't received a new product since he sent KOF:Neowave back. The small resurgence of arcades in the late 90s/early 2000s has already died. The only reason we have ONE good arcade left is because Cybertown can sell booze and it makes their boss happier than tokens ever could.

aderack
254th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Things to do in Dallas" , posted Sat 29 Apr 15:12post reply

You can always do Debbie.

Mosquiton
1703th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Things to do in Dallas" , posted Sat 29 Apr 16:15:post reply

quote:
You can always do Debbie.

I thought about suggesting that earlier. Thanks for being a smartass so I didn't have to.

But actually, now that I think about it, wouldn't Debbbie do you?

Now back to looking for KOF:MI2 stuff.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Sat 29 Apr 16:16]

Undead Fred
2676th Post

"Re(2):Things to do in Dallas" , posted Sat 29 Apr 17:00post reply

quote:
chill out with Ferd, sex parties, etc

Heh heh. Yeah, I haven't been back in the area long, so I'm not the best person to ask. I used to live here YEARS ago, so all of the places I knew of are gone or suck now.

"Ooh, what about the West End Marketplace???"
"Ah, don't go there. It sucks now."

I WISH I knew where some arcades were around here... I had been to GameWorks years ago around the Fort Worth area, and it was pretty fun. They had Tekken 3 on a rig that let you stand up on a stage and throw kicks and punches to make your characters move and shooters you sit in little buckets and go up and down a fake skyscraper and all that... but that was around 6 years ago, so it's probably all NASCAR games and hunting games like a Wal-Mart arcade or something now. Heh heh. You could always find a Dave and Buster's, but they're pretty much only good for some interesting gun games and nothing else.

Mav
151th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Debbie to do in Dallas" , posted Sun 30 Apr 07:51post reply

quote:
Did he ever get the fist of the north star game?

Doubt it. Cybertown's manager told me they'd ordered that months ago, but maybe they just sent it to San Antonio, instead.

If (Dallas') Mayor Miller had her way, the entire clubbing area of Dallas would be turned into a similarly sappy collection of nicknack shops and restaurants, like the West End.

shotokan anime
31th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):Debbie to do in Dallas" , posted Sun 30 Apr 12:02post reply

where is cybertown now. What city? I hate all these microcities in the area. It drives me nuts. where are you located at? I'm in bedford

quote:
Did he ever get the fist of the north star game?

Doubt it. Cybertown's manager told me they'd ordered that months ago, but maybe they just sent it to San Antonio, instead.

If (Dallas') Mayor Miller had her way, the entire clubbing area of Dallas would be turned into a similarly sappy collection of nicknack shops and restaurants, like the West End.

Mav
152th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Debbie to do in Dallas" , posted Mon 1 May 03:49post reply

quote:
where is cybertown now. What city? I hate all these microcities in the area. It drives me nuts. where are you located at? I'm in bedford

Cyberzone became Cybertown and moved. They used to have a few locations across Dallas, but have abandoned them all in favor of the one location. I think there's still Cyberzones in San Antonio and abroad. Cybertown at Firewheel Mall is here. Basically deep Garland, at the end of Bush Tollway. I live in actual Dallas, and it's a fair drive for me to get there.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3509th Post

"DEAR FRED" , posted Mon 1 May 09:18post reply

off topic, won't be able to make it this weekend. i think next

Maou
837th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):DEAR FRED" , posted Mon 1 May 11:34post reply

I say, get some of the best barbeque around (though I'm partial to Carolina style). There was this one near the center of town, whose name I forget but which had a name that was basically a girl's name, and had curtains. Not very helpful, but if you have a list of BBQ places, this might work.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Undead Fred
2677th Post

"DEAR JJJ" , posted Mon 1 May 12:23post reply

quote:
off topic, won't be able to make it this weekend. i think next

Ah, okay cool. Yeah, I just got a new job recently, so my schedule's trying to settle itself again... so that'll probably be better.

Maese Spt
227th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):DEAR JJJ" , posted Mon 1 May 20:45post reply

Woah, thanks for the feedback, guys!

I'm totally taking Toxico's advice, is a good idea.

And yes, Shotokan Anime is right, the place is that Gaylord resort. What a great name indeed. When I know for sure if I'm going or not, perhaps I'll bother you asking some more questions, if you don't mind.

And as for arcades goes... well, coin-op scene in my city (and pretty much in my whole country as well) is more than dead since late 90s, so I guess I won't be very picky wich whatever I could get around Dallas.

MATSUKEN SAMBA!!!

shotokan anime
32th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):DEAR JJJ" , posted Tue 2 May 08:17post reply

why are you coming anyways.That was the gayest name before the brokeback mountain flix. Now its just kinda sad. It's a gross mockery of all things texas. Make sure to see the faux tree is the same one in houston that cost over 210,000. Pay 12 for parking. Check out the over priced restuants!
Go Gaylord!

quote:
Woah, thanks for the feedback, guys!

I'm totally taking Toxico's advice, is a good idea.

And yes, Shotokan Anime is right, the place is that Gaylord resort. What a great name indeed. When I know for sure if I'm going or not, perhaps I'll bother you asking some more questions, if you don't mind.

And as for arcades goes... well, coin-op scene in my city (and pretty much in my whole country as well) is more than dead since late 90s, so I guess I won't be very picky wich whatever I could get around Dallas.