Silent Hill - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3148 Views )

DarkZero
1267th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Silent Hill" , posted Sat 22 Apr 15:48post reply

Wow, there's no thread about Silent Hill on opening night? WTF? I thought it was pretty great. I'm only a casual fan of Silent Hill, but lately I've become a massive fan of fucked-up horror films.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Only part that confused me was the ending. They set up in the third quarter or so of the movie that only the guilty are punished by evil, and I thought it was a great idea that all of these twisted monsters were actually dealing out justice instead of just being sadistic monsters... and then Alessa basically turns on the mother by trapping her in Twilight World forever. I thought the original ending of Silent Hill 1, or at least what I've read about it, made a lot more sense.

End of Spoiler

Replies:

Burning Ranger
1411th Post

"Re(1):Silent Hill" , posted Sat 22 Apr 15:53post reply

quote:
Wow, there's no thread about Silent Hill on opening night? WTF? I thought it was pretty great. I'm only a casual fan of Silent Hill, but lately I've become a massive fan of fucked-up horror films.

Ha! You posted when I posted! Do we continue here or my thread?

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

Pollyanna
1752th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Silent Hill" , posted Sat 22 Apr 16:16:post reply

quote:

Ha! You posted when I posted! Do we continue here or my thread?

This one, because thanks to you, it has more posts?
But then again...yours has a better title...

Anyway...
Not a great movie, but a wonderful Silent Hill movie. I have a series of complaints, but at the end of the day, it far exceeded my expectations and is turned out much better than it should have.

I enjoyed it very verrrry much. There were so many times I said "I can't believe I'm actually seeing this!"

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Sat 22 Apr 16:17]

Undead Fred
2670th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Silent Hill" , posted Sat 22 Apr 18:08post reply

quote:
I thought it was pretty great.
It is NOT a trick. Do NOT get an axe.

OH MY GOD I loved it. Like I said before, it looked to be the world's only accurate video game movie... and I wasn't disappointed. I had some things I was worried about from the teasers and all that, but they really pulled it off well. There were some moments where it was slightly on the cheesy side or dragged a little too long, but overall I was very very happy with it. "Not totally perfect" is WAY better than "massive steaming failure." The games' soundtrack as the musical score really helped set the tone, too.

And Jesus... Pyramid Head's really renewed my respect for him. The way he killed Anna... oh man.

End of Spoiler

Juke Joint Jezebel
3506th Post

"Re(4):Silent Hill" , posted Sat 22 Apr 18:24post reply

quote:

RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Evenor
381th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Silent Hill" , posted Sun 23 Apr 01:19:post reply

I really enjoyed this movie.I was setting myself up for dissapointment but in the end it was pretty satisfying. It was great seeing Pyramid Head and the Nurses on the big screen!

I would have loved it if they based the movie on Silent Hill 2.

Edit:

JJJ - is that screencap from the hideously awesome gurochan.net?

シュガーフォークフル

[this message was edited by Evenor on Sun 23 Apr 01:23]

Juke Joint Jezebel
3507th Post

"Re(6):Silent Hill" , posted Sun 23 Apr 02:33post reply

quote:

you wish!

Shooo-rook
169th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Silent Hill" , posted Sun 23 Apr 03:17post reply

quote:
you wish!

I find it funny in that link, that someone asked if it was better than doom... of course... any movie is better than doom... Anyways, the movie was great, probably one of the most well done video game movies ever... One thing that was a little bad in the movie was the writing

"It looked like their was a fire here!" "It looks like something really bad happened to this place"

End of Spoiler

I thought it was really good though... THe music was amazing, and the

dyke cop who was burned was hot (pun or not?)

End of Spoiler

Too bad Anna had to have her skin ripped off her, she was the only hot red headed fanatic...

End of Spoiler

Fin

Are you slave to the blade?

Burning Ranger
1412th Post

"Re(8):Silent Hill" , posted Sun 23 Apr 03:48post reply

"What box did you find that in?"
"Room 111"
"We need to go to Room 111"

End of Spoiler

DarkZero
1268th Post

"Re(9):Silent Hill" , posted Sun 23 Apr 06:54post reply

The odd thing is, there were a lot of complaints about the dialogue, but I really prefer something simple like "We need to go to Room 111" instead of the sort of dialogue that's in all the other "I'm looking for my child" horror/suspense movies like The Forgotten. If this was The Forgotten, it would've been "I have to grab that piece of paper in its mouth because I need to find my baby!" instead of just grabbing it out of its mouth, or "My kid could be in Room 111, we HAVE TO GO TO ROOM 111!!!". If they had added those lines, no one would've accused the main character of doing anything ridiculous, but the movie would've bugged the crap out of me.

The whole thing reminds me of the plot of Kingdom Hearts 2, in that it reminds me of how stupid an audience usually is. For both this and KH2, everyone asks "Why did this happen?" or "Why did this character do this?", even though they explained it... but the problem is they only explained it once, instead of repeating it five times to beat it into your head like the average Hollywood movie does. They only explain once that "Only the Dark One can open and close the door to Silent Hill", with the obvious inference that it was only opened for a few minutes to get Sharon in there and Cybil just happened to be close by, but everyone (even those familiar with the game!) still ask "Why couldn't the father and the detective see it?"

Then again, I still didn't understand the ending, really. I mean, I understood what happened, but not why it happened, 'cause it kind of went against the whole "moral" of the movie. It's like an action movie where the hero kills a bunch of bad guys, never hurts an innocent person, rescues the kidnapped girl... and then shoots her in the head. Was it because taking revenge on those people somehow made Rose a bad person? Or are you just not supposed to help demons, even if they give righteous justice to a little girl who was wronged by dozens of adults? Or did Rose not WANT to go back to the real world? No clue.

End of Spoiler

Shooo-rook
170th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Sun 23 Apr 14:09post reply

quote:

In response to Dark Zero's reply... on the whole explanation thing... I can see mass culture not liking the movie, based on you the fact that it wasn't scary, and I guess a lot of people are expecting it to scare the shit out of people... Also the whole moral thing... I think there is no moral... It's not like a Full House episode... ITs just that

They can't return to the normal world once they go into the fume laden world of silent hill

End of Spoiler

Undead Fred
2671th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Sun 23 Apr 14:53post reply

quote:
Darkzero's spoiler.
Yeah, there are two explanations I saw-

one is that once you are called to the town and enter, it keeps you forever. So, even though Rose was let out of the town, she wasn't let out of the Silent Hill dimension. The other's if that old theory I had (and I know I had heard from other people) about the first game's ending was that since both Cybil and Rose had wrecked their cars while entering the town, they were both actually dead.

End of Spoiler

If they wind up making a sequel, I'm pretty positive they'll be headed in the direction of Silent Hill 2's plot.

Chris had a pretty decent resemblance to James Sunderland, and he was still really wanting to find his wife again... and he's still being called by the town (cel phone calls and the scent of his wife's perfume).

End of Spoiler

And of course, like any time I really enjoy a horror movie, some dickhead a row behind me has to frat boy grunt THAT MOVIE SUCKED LOL right after the credits started rolling.

Burning Ranger
1413th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Sun 23 Apr 22:42post reply

quote:

And of course, like any time I really enjoy a horror movie, some dickhead a row behind me has to frat boy grunt THAT MOVIE SUCKED LOL right after the credits started rolling.

When I left the theater the other night, I heard some guys talking saying they thought it was based on a true story. I wonder how many people know it's was based on a game.

CharlesProphony
25th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Sun 23 Apr 22:46post reply

quote:

If they wind up making a sequel, I'm pretty positive they'll be headed in the direction of Silent Hill 2's plot.

and rose has some resemblance to mary/maria...
rose being in other dimensions, etc... I think Gans is really milking the plot for a second movie...

End of Spoiler

and one interesting thing I've noted is rose's family last name "da Silva"... here in brazil "of silva" is something in the way of smith in US, as it's a very common surname. maybe just a joke with john does, "oh, can be anyone here", etc

oh, and yes, I've not seem the movie, but read enough spoilers to not miss some details... (and I would be happy if I had any idea of when it will start showing here...)

just improving my english...

sushi_bunny
390th Post

Silver Customer

"Hot Cybil: Motocycle Cop" , posted Mon 24 Apr 04:53post reply

No pun intended.

This movie was ok, I thought that some parts dragged, but for the most part people overuse the concept of a posessed girl. For the most part, the computer graphics were awesome. Some parts were really gross at the end, but it seemed artsy to me.

Still, I thought Cybil was pretty hot in the leather and all, but too bad she was, well, watch the movie if you hadnt watched it. I can't believe she Martyred herself while the Gas Mask guys beat the crap out of her. She's much more smart than that.

All I could say at the end was, Hm.

Cheers,
sushi

Undead Fred
2672th Post

"Re(1):Hot Cybil: Motocycle Cop" , posted Mon 24 Apr 07:48post reply

quote:
Still, I thought Cybil was pretty hot in the leather and all, but too bad she was, well, watch the movie if you hadnt watched it. I can't believe she Martyred herself while the Gas Mask guys beat the crap out of her. She's much more smart than that.

USE SPOILER FLAGS PLS

And I'm not sure why people were uneasy about the ending, really... I thought it worked very well, especially in the context of the games' endings.

Spoon
1307th Post

"Re(1):Silent Hill" , posted Mon 24 Apr 08:54post reply

I have never played a Silent Hill game before.
Will this movie be at all worth my time?

Juan
4252th Post

"Re(2):Silent Hill" , posted Mon 24 Apr 08:58:post reply

I asked a couple friends that saw the movie without playing the games and they liked it ok. They had no problems understanding the structure of the movie and the messages on it.

For sure you might probably appreciate the visuals. Like they said before the atmosphere is nice, and they use a lot of actors in suits, so most of the fx will look a bit more real than the usual CG overload.

I would recommend playing a couple of them before seeing the movie. You will catch big and small references. They are all 20 bucks or below at the moment and they have entertaining stories.

Edit: no good at explainin'

oh Fred

quote:

[this message was edited by Juan on Mon 24 Apr 18:27]

Shooo-rook
171th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Silent Hill" , posted Mon 24 Apr 12:12post reply

quote:

I only played a little of the first level for SIlent Hill 2 and i still thought the movie was great... I couldn't play anymore... i was shitting in my pants...

Mav
144th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Silent Hill" , posted Tue 25 Apr 08:49post reply

Had a longer post and screwed it up by clicking elsewhere. So here goes the abridged version. Good movie. Great videogame movie. Best videogame movie ever, by my standards. Some dialogue stinks of a translation from Japanese to English. Perhaps purposeful postmodernism, as these games were Japanese, originally? I'm thinking a resounding no.

I liked how the monsters...

...followed the Silent Hill theme of fitting in to the plot and characters' experiences. Pyramid Head perhaps didn't fit, as he was the executioner for James' sins, and the heroine wasn't established as much of a bad person until her quest for her child turned her towards the darker powers for assistance. Otherwise, neat metaphors all around, as the better SH games do. Directorial and environmental.

End of Spoiler

I smell a sequel. Maybe more direct and like SH3, or a sidestory like SH2. I always thought SH2's storyline would translate best to the bigscreen.

Evenor
384th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Silent Hill" , posted Tue 25 Apr 09:05post reply

quote:

I would recommend playing a couple of them before seeing the movie. You will catch big and small references. They are all 20 bucks or below at the moment and they have entertaining stories.

I got a mental boner during the film when I saw that reference. I wanted to say it out loud " OMGZ CHERYL" when appeared on the screen.

Isnt Konami making a Silent Hill Collection ( 2-4) for the PS2?

シュガーフォークフル

exodus
3348th Post

"Re(4):Silent Hill" , posted Tue 25 Apr 12:48post reply

I watched it, and thought it didn't suck very much! I wasn't sure about how I felt when they totally mimicked camera angles from the first game's intro scenario.

DarkZero
1269th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Tue 25 Apr 14:07post reply

quote:

When I left the theater the other night, I heard some guys talking saying they thought it was based on a true story. I wonder how many people know it's was based on a game.

Actually, they were probably talking about the fact that one of the major plot points that was added for the movie really is based on a true story, rather than on the Silent Hill games themselves.

There really is a town in Pennsylvania where a fire ignited an underground coal mine. Several people really were killed and, as far as I know, the town really is still unhabitable (or was for decades?) because of the fumes. That was added entirely by the writers of the movie and is based on fact.

End of Spoiler

The more hateful reviews I've seen of this movie, and there really are many, I've sort of become convinced that an adaptation of Silent Hill 2 really would've made a better movie. I almost wonder if I liked the movie because I didn't play Silent Hill 1 and 3, because I think that if I was a big fan of those games, I would've had a problem with the replacement of a Lovecraftian cult with Christian religious zealots. I also think I liked Silent Hill 1's ending a lot better than Silent Hill: The Movie's. Shrug.

Undead Fred
2674th Post

"Re(5):Silent Hill" , posted Tue 25 Apr 14:15post reply

quote:
I watched it, and thought it didn't suck very much! I wasn't sure about how I felt when they totally mimicked camera angles from the first game's intro scenario.

If the movie wasn't true to the spirit of the games, then I'd have been pissed about the camera work. You know how it is- normally, when Hollywood "re-imagines" a movie or TV show or whatever, they totally miss the mark, then throw in a really stupid, superficial reference to the source material to pretend that the remake is valid. "You see, in the movie we have the bioforce gun LOL!!!!!!!!!!! ...........................you know, the old bioforce gun? ....the BFG?"

BUT, since the movie was actually true to its source material for once (GOD FORBID...), then the camera work was a successful reference to the games in my eyes. I need to see it again before it leaves theaters.

exodus
3350th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Tue 25 Apr 15:17post reply

quote:

I've sort of become convinced that an adaptation of Silent Hill 2 really would've made a better movie.

I thought so from the beginning! If it's successful enough for a sequel, maybe it will be...

And yeah, I felt like the movie was pretty faithful. Not bad!

Juan
4253th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Tue 25 Apr 16:07post reply

Where is Stabo post

Samson
64th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Wed 3 May 18:54post reply

I'm not a Silent Hill series fan, I've only played the second one, and I still have to finish it.

Cool things in the movie :
Monsters are cool (Pyramid head is great).
'World shiftings' are cool.
Music is more than cool.
End credits are cool.

Everything else is just crap :
Not even one good actor (the worst being the cop girl).
Useless and ridiculous lines.
Useless gore.

A good point for the movie: it makes me want to play SH2 again...

Undead Fred
2679th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Thu 4 May 15:52post reply

quote:
Useless gore.

Well, personally, I've seen much worse. If a horror movie's even middle of the road, they're still doing something right... too many horror movies dive face-first into the empty swimming pool of cheese and bad scares. I just really enjoyed how they stayed really true to the source material, and didn't really screw up in terms of dialogue and story and so forth. Yeah, they got a little cheesy here and there (I got really worried when the little girl was rolling on the ground screaming "SILENT HILL!!!" at the beginning), but overall, I can't complain.

I NEED TO SEE IT AGAIN

samson
65th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Thu 4 May 16:46post reply

quote:
Useless gore.
Well, personally, I've seen much worse. If a horror movie's even middle of the road, they're still doing something right... too many horror movies dive face-first into the empty swimming pool of cheese and bad scares. I just really enjoyed how they stayed really true to the source material, and didn't really screw up in terms of dialogue and story and so forth. Yeah, they got a little cheesy here and there (I got really worried when the little girl was rolling on the ground screaming "SILENT HILL!!!" at the beginning), but overall, I can't complain.

I NEED TO SEE IT AGAIN

I understand your point.
I 'judge' this movie as a movie, not as a horror movie, or as a video game movie.
I can stand 1 or 2 cheesy moments if the whole is very good, but in SH, I've seen 1 or 2 very good moments (pyramid 'undressing' the redhead) in 2 hours of cheesiness ;)

samson
66th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Thu 4 May 16:46post reply

quote:
Useless gore.

I NEED TO SEE IT AGAIN

I understand your point.
I 'judge' this movie as a movie, not as a horror movie, or as a video game movie.
I can stand 1 or 2 cheesy moments if the whole is very good, but in SH, I've seen 1 or 2 very good moments (pyramid 'undressing' the redhead) in 2 hours of cheesiness ;)

Variable Savior
350th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Fri 5 May 08:34post reply

quote:
(I got really worried when the little girl was rolling on the ground screaming "SILENT HILL!!!" at the beginning)

!!!
That's exactly how I felt

All and all I really liked the SH movie. Somehow, it just gave a good impression on what it'd be like to be in that situation. I've always felt SH was more disturbing/creepy than outright scary and the movie pulled that off pretty well.

Blood marks heaven's path

nobinobita
30th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Sun 7 May 07:01post reply

I liked the movie overall. In spite of how dumb it was. I thought it was an OK horror movie, the best videogame adaptation yet, but it was not a faithful Silent Hill Movie.

If you want to see a good Silent Hill movie, go watch Jacob's Ladder or Rosemary's Baby.

I liked Silent Hill the Movie, i really did. I thought it was incredibly beautiful to look at, and acheived some really thrilling momements far beyond other horror movies (anything with pyramid head was awesome). But man, the script was AWFUL. It was awkward, and it made changes that were against the basic spirit of Silent Hill (as i see it anyway).

What i liked about the games, aside from the creepy visuals and mood, is that they were intersting. They had some meaning. You could talk about them after beating them. Everything fell into place.

I liked the idea the games established about Silent Hill; that it was a place connected to hell, where some people upon entering are thrown into their own personal hell. That isn't a terribly original idea, but the execution of it (in the games) was awesome. The monsters all had some meaning.

The monsters in the first game were reflective of how an isolated little girl prefered monsters to actual people, and Silent Hill 2 was even better. I loved how all the monsters in that game represented Jame's sexual anxieties. And the ending was incredible.

I liked how it established that Silent Hill was a personalised hell, but you could overcome it once you accepted all facets of yourself and understodd what a lousy person you were.

I'm sure i'm not telling you guys anything new. I'm certainly not trying to show how clever i am by pointing out all these neat things from the game (although i wouldn't mind more discourse about that either).

My point is that, you can't talk about the movie like that. It didn't really have very much meaning behind it.

The monsters didn't reflect anything. They were just cameos from the game (except for the Janitor, who was cool and had a place and reason to be there).

And the ending was vague, and almost seemed deep, but not really, because it didn't really add anything to the story.

I guess it did work out, mood wise though.

But yeah, I enjoyed Silent Hill the Movie. I thought it was great to look at. I appreciated that they kept the music and visual style, and it could have been MUCH MUCH MUCH worse. But it also could have been alot better. It could have been great.

nobinobita
33th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Sun 7 May 07:16:post reply

doh, accidently posted twice... browser doing weird things ... i am confused ...

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sun 7 May 07:19]

nobinobita
32th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Sun 7 May 07:18post reply

oh and DarkZero,

I totally agree with your points. Especially about how extraneous dialogue doesn't make a movie better. I think far too often, people associate wordiness with intelligence, when its often quite the opposite. I can't stand movies that have to constantly tell me how i should be feeling through dialogue.

There's this weird stance in American culture that images are somehow inferior to words in sophistication, and that's just not true. Often times it takes more engagement and thought to analyze an image than to be told outright what something means.

There are moments in Silent Hill the movie, that i thought were raelly visually sophisticated, and communicated alot without words.

For instance, i LOVED pyramid head. He was so brutal and fourthright. I loved how aggressive and cold he was. For him, killing seemed to be business as usual. And that gave him personality.

my favorite scene in the movie is when he tears that poor girl's skin off. He first lifts her in the air making he completely helpless. Then he strips her naked with one stroke, immediately demeaning her. Then he kills her in a really really awful way. It was so cold and horrific and it was just so much better than anything else i've seen in a hollywood movie in a long time.

End of Spoiler

That said. I kinda wish Silent Hill didn't have any dialogue at all. I can't wait for the DVD to come out so i can find some way to take out the dialogue, but leave the noise and music. I think the movie works wonderfully as a surreal, visual and aural adventure (minus the dialogue).

Undead Fred
2680th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Sun 7 May 13:51post reply

quote:
I liked the movie overall. In spite of how dumb it was. I thought it was an OK horror movie, the best videogame adaptation yet, but it was not a faithful Silent Hill Movie.

Heh heh. Yeah, it could have been like a normal video game movie-
"I've finished the script for the Virtua Fighter movie!"
"Great! What's it about?"
"Okay, so two cartoon rabbits are sitting on the floor in an empty house masturbating. Then Batman jumps in through the window and cuts their heads off. Blood sprays everywhere while a laugh track loops for 30 minutes. Then, fade to black."
"Genius!"

But yeah, there were some un-Silent Hill sorts of things in the movie, but they really didn't bother me to the point where I couldn't overlook them. First off, they explained too much in the movie. BUT, if they hadn't, the non-SH players would have been totally excluded from the movie. I was worried about the cel phone from the previews, but it actually worked to me since

she can't REALLY call out from within the town... it's more like a ghost trying to make a phone call to the real world.

End of Spoiler

I was also worried about the number of people in the town, since the game's atmosphere really plays up on being alone and helpless... but that ended up working out pretty well too. There's the issue with the monsters being "re-appearances" too, but that was another element I was just able to overlook. I guess I was just so happy that they didn't make a train wreck out of ANOTHER one of my favorite game series and actually made a video game movie I could enjoy for once.

sabo10
1349th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Sun 7 May 15:55post reply

Silent Hill was a movie for homosexual nazi dragons.

sushi_bunny
394th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Tue 9 May 09:46post reply

quote:

Yeah, like YOU sabo10, go get a life fanboy, I hope you die breaking your back trying to suck your own cock.

sabo10
1351th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Tue 9 May 13:23:post reply

quote:

Yeah, like YOU sabo10, go get a life fanboy, I hope you die breaking your back trying to suck your own cock.

POLISH SUSHINGADA NEEDS YOU TO BUY BONDS NOW!

[this message was edited by sabo10 on Tue 9 May 13:26]

Undead Fred
2683th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Sat 13 May 14:43post reply

quote:

POLISH SUSHINGADA NEEDS YOU TO BUY BONDS NOW!

YOU HAVE BROUGHT FURIOUS CANDLE SLURPING INTO OUR SANCTUARY

BURN IN THE HEAT OF 1000 FLAME WARS!!! \m/

Ishmael
2509th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Silent Hill" , posted Tue 6 Jun 22:20post reply

Yes, I know I'm late to the party but I finally got around to seeing the Silent Hill movie and I felt like making a few comments on it.

SH put me in mind of the sort of thing Dario Argento was going for in some of his films. Like Susperia -or that one movie where Jennifer Connelly talks to bugs- the film wasn't set up to deliver scares by having things jump out from dark corners. Instead, the movie is more concerned with presenting strange, dream-like imagery. Also like Argento's stuff, the story becomes increasingly ridiculous when the script tries to explain the surreal happenings. Too bad, since if there was one thing SH loved it was exposition. But no matter how chatty the film became I have to give SH credit for taking itself seriously and not going for easy jokes or knowing self-parody. Maybe it's because I'm not all that familiar with the games the movie is based on but I found SH to be an entertaining enough film that was trying to tell a story in a style not normally seen in modern Hollywood movies.