Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2559 Views )

Ishmael
2448th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Marvel: Ultimate Alliance" , posted Wed 19 Apr 23:54post reply

I'm sure offical screenshots will be coming along soon enough but until then you can get your comic geek on with these pages pulled from Game Informer.

http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ultall6qg.jpg

http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ultall24uw.jpg

http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ultall3large7ck.jpg

http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ultall4large9pq.jpg

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ultall5large7vt.jpg

http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ultall6large5zp.jpg

Replies:

ONSLAUGHT
3573th Post

"NO" , posted Thu 20 Apr 00:39post reply

Looks shitty.
I have yet to see a good Marvel game aside from the ones made by Capcom.

And why are they mixing Ultimate characters with 616 characters?

Digitalboy
301th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):NO" , posted Thu 20 Apr 02:26post reply

Because some of the 616 continuity characters are crap.

This game could have some sort of potential...

quote:
Looks shitty.

And why are they mixing Ultimate characters with 616 characters?

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

ONSLAUGHT
3574th Post

"Re(2):NO" , posted Thu 20 Apr 02:54post reply

quote:

There are not crappy characters, just crappy witters.

Spoon
1304th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):NO" , posted Thu 20 Apr 03:04post reply

quote:
Looks shitty.

Konami made the 4-player arcade beat'em up, and I think that it qualifies as a good game.

ONSLAUGHT
3575th Post

"Re(2):NO" , posted Thu 20 Apr 03:11post reply

quote:

Konami made the 4-player arcade beat'em up, and I think that it qualifies as a good game.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one, awesome 6-player game that required 2 screens to be played.
I've heard Hulk Ultimate Destruction is quite good, but I haven't played it.

Gojira
1957th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):NO" , posted Thu 20 Apr 08:32post reply

quote:

There is a crappy everything

Burning Ranger
1406th Post

"Re(1):Marvel: Ultimate Alliance" , posted Thu 20 Apr 11:35post reply

The geek in me wonders why the game is a mix of the regular Marvel and Ultimate designs. Look at Captain America--but then Nick Fury is white (in the Ultimate universe, he's black).

Still, it looks somewhat interesting. I haven't played X-men Legends 1 or 2, but when I get free time, I might want to.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

Hungrywolf
3132th Post

"Re(2):Marvel: Ultimate Alliance" , posted Thu 20 Apr 14:52post reply

quote:
The geek in me wonders why the game is a mix of the regular Marvel and Ultimate designs. Look at Captain America--but then Nick Fury is white (in the Ultimate universe, he's black).

Still, it looks somewhat interesting. I haven't played X-men Legends 1 or 2, but when I get free time, I might want to.

Well, X-men Legends 1 and 2 are both excellent games. In these games you start with Ultimate costumes but are able to unlock a lot of different costumes for the characters (hence why you are seeing Ultimate and 616 costumes in these shots). If this is anything like X-men Legends 2 (which it looks like it is), then it will be a great game, especially for multi-player.

Digitalboy
303th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):NO" , posted Fri 21 Apr 00:13post reply

True, however, I still believe that the Ultimate line is better than 616 line. I prefer The Ultimates over The Avengers not only because of the writer but the costumes design.

quote:

I don't know how to live

ONSLAUGHT
3576th Post

"Re(4):NO" , posted Fri 21 Apr 00:44post reply

quote:
True, however, I still believe that the Ultimate line is better than 616 line. I prefer The Ultimates over The Avengers not only because of the writer but the costumes design.

I used to be a huge comics fan, well, I still am, but I'm more into the Ultimate universe, not because the 616 is crap, but because the Ultimate line is better.
I also love Supreme Power, which I think is the Ultimate Squadron Supreme.

Ishmael
2449th Post

"Re(2):Marvel: Ultimate Alliance" , posted Fri 21 Apr 02:54post reply

quote:

The games seem to pick and choose whatever would work best when it comes to what is taken from the comics. That was a wise decision as far as can tell since it captures the spirit of the characters without getting the whole thing hopelessly bogged down in continuity. Although now that I think about it, in XML2 the Nick Fury that did a cameo was the Ulimate version of Fury. Does that mean that Fury will be able to flop back and forth between being a white guy and a black guy? Neat trick if you can do it.

quote:

True.

Digitalboy
304th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Marvel: Ultimate Alliance" , posted Fri 21 Apr 03:25post reply

Same here about being a fanboy. Superhero comics lost their hold with me. I just prefer some independent comics nowadays.

quote:
I used to be a huge comics fan, well, I still am, but I'm more into the Ultimate universe, not because the 616 is crap, but because the Ultimate line is better.

WTF?! With graphics like that it could be a Nintendo64 game.

quote:

True.

I don't know how to live

Burning Ranger
1407th Post

"Re(5):NO" , posted Fri 21 Apr 07:57post reply

quote:

I too am more into the Ultimate universe than the original universe (I'm not comfortable calling it by a number--that belongs to DC). The only exception is Ultimate Fantastic Four... I didn't like the direction they took.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

Undead Fred
2669th Post

"Re(3):Marvel: Ultimate Alliance" , posted Fri 21 Apr 14:10post reply

quote:
True.

Christ, SNK's starting to really depress me. "Yay, another classic series is 3D now LOL!!!!!!!"

Iron D
2683th Post

"Re(3):NO" , posted Fri 21 Apr 18:09post reply

quote:

Egg Fu begs to differ.

Zelkin. Pimped.

samson
57th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):NO" , posted Fri 21 Apr 22:24post reply

quote:

The only Marvel things I really dig these days are :
Astonishing X-Men (thanks to Cassaday)
The Ultimates (everything is brilliant and non-cliché)
Daredevil (Bendis/Maleev run)
Supreme Power (Justice League in the real world)

Everything else is read and forget IMO.

I used to be a X-Men fan in the old days. I kind of like a good beat them all game. Why can't I play any X-Men Legends game more than a few minutes ? I want to like those games but I just can't...

GekigangerV
1221th Post

"Re(6):NO" , posted Sat 22 Apr 08:38post reply

X-Men Legends was a good game. The second one was a bit too easy, especially the last boss. The only downside of both games is that Wolverine is too powerful. I took out the last boss in XML2 with just him.

I have pretty high hopes for the Marvel one. It will get the bad taste of Marvel Nemesis out of my mouth, that's for sure.

I have liked most of the recent Marvel games. Hulk was great and I liked Punisher. However, Ultimate Spider-Man was a dissapointment. It was a real downgrade gameplay-wise over Spider-Man 2. But it did have a good story telling technique which would have been cool if I just wanted to read the damn comic.

On the comic side, I am getting bored of both regular and ultimate marvel. The only comic that really entertains me now is Cable/Deadpool. But Marvel Zombies is one of the coolest concepts Marvel has kicked out in a while. Every character in Marvel ultimate Alliance better have a Marvel Zombies skin.

Count Hihihi
44th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):NO" , posted Sun 23 Apr 06:18post reply

Don't forget X-men 2: Clone Wars, on the Genesis.

"Dont bother. Your gonna be hammered by some git hammering buttons as Horwang or Christy anyway." - RR

Ishmael
2451th Post

"Re(7):NOOOOOOOO" , posted Sun 23 Apr 06:48post reply

quote:
X-Men Legends was a good game. The second one was a bit too easy, especially the last boss. The only downside of both games is that Wolverine is too powerful. I took out the last boss in XML2 with just him.

Actually, I found most of the characters could be built up to be pretty powerful... except for Colossus, that poor guy was terrible across the board. From Nightcrawler being able to kill bosses pretty much instantly to Iron Man being stupidly strong there was no shortage of crushing abilities in the game. While I like the games I think they were intentionally designed not to be overly frustrating.

Baines
154th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):NOOOOOOOO" , posted Mon 24 Apr 09:31post reply

quote:
Actually, I found most of the characters could be built up to be pretty powerful... except for Colossus, that poor guy was terrible across the board. From Nightcrawler being able to kill bosses pretty much instantly to Iron Man being stupidly strong there was no shortage of crushing abilities in the game. While I like the games I think they were intentionally designed not to be overly frustrating.

Some of that power came from bad/lazy design and a ton of glitches.

Nightcrawler with 0EP Teleport Frenzy (as it actually used the EP cost for Teleport Attack)? Double counting item damage bonuses under certain circumstances? Getting item damage bonuses on each tick of radiation damage (under certain circumstances)? Iron Man's broken Motion Amp, which boosted all his attacks, not just his melee. Gambit apparently had a broken boost. Deadpool broke the game when you applied his points correctly, due to certain overpowered abilities.

That's without even needing the two character abuses (to do things like get effectively infinite EP.)

On the other hand, some others were weakened by glitches, like Jean who had a skill that didn't actually do anything. (Instead of boosting all her mental damage, it only boosted equipped items that did mental damage.) And the broken XP system could hurt any player that fell behind the XP curve.

But yes, the game had no shortage of intentional crushing abilities.

As for single characters, there are people who beat the game using only one character from the start, at least everywhere the game lets you use only one character. (Importing a character with equipment can make it fairly trivial. It is a bit harder otherwise, particularly as many characters will be locked out of getting optional items and boosts due to lacking flight and/or teleport.)