April's new anime - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3254 Views )

Holiday
2546th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"April's new anime" , posted Thu 6 Apr 02:51post reply

Nipa~

Hey, what did you think of the new Higurashi anime? I guess Zepy and Prof has seen it already?
Other than superoversaturation, I think it was fine?
Didn't expect so much comedy though, but then again, looks like we can expect to see Squishy Things happen in the near future, based on the op.

My favourite so far for this month is still Suzumiya.
Disgaea was

Replies:

Zepy
1221th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):April's new anime" , posted Thu 6 Apr 03:06post reply

Higurashi kami anime kettei. The pacing is good, and It looks like they got the atmosphere right. All's left is if the later parts are scary enough.

The first ep for the Haruhi anime was 漢. Their website is 漢. I love it. The ed has more animation than the entire Fate/stay night series.

Holiday
2547th Post

"Re(2):April's new anime" , posted Thu 6 Apr 04:32post reply

Oh yeah, Haruhi's a better contraction for the series
Love the dancing bit www

I'm stupid because I don't know what to do with the website.

Hmm, other series I've watched:

Soul Link
Simoun
Strawberry Panic

Protip - don't watch Simoun and Strawberry panic back to back. You might die.

Utawarerumono
Aria the Natural
Yoshinaga-san'chi no Gargoyle

Looking forward to Yume Tsukai?

Arngrim
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):April's new anime" , posted Thu 6 Apr 04:56post reply

I won't miss Higurashi, Simoun, Air Gear and Nana and I'm considering watching xxxHolic, Tsubasa 2nd season and Ergo Proxy.

Is Higurashi good? I haven't been able to play the game due to my lack of japanese knowledge, but it surely looks interesting, I think it's the anime that has me more hyped about (quite followed by Air Gear, since I love the manga).

I know that Air Gear is all about fan-service and non-sense techniques but... hey! it's really funny! and the character designs are amazing (I love Oh! Great's drawings). I hope the anime does a good job about this work.

Also, from what I've read and seen about Simoun I already love it. Damn... I love lesbian warriors characters clichés , I utterly love characters like Arisugawa Juri from Utena and Shizuru from Mai-HiME... I'm already sold to this anime ^^

Death!!! But in this place... there is no happiness.

Iggy
7642th Post

"Re(2):April's new anime" , posted Thu 6 Apr 05:21post reply

quote:
The first ep for the Haruhi anime was 漢. Their website is 漢. I love it.

I don't know this use for 漢, what does it mean ?

Because even though I loved it, the episode was totally lacking of any 漢 I know of.

Maou
819th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):April's new anime" , posted Thu 6 Apr 05:42post reply

Perhaps he is referring to our world's HOTBLOODED YOUTH, the 熱血漢 and the 正義感. Who knew they could be found in animation?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Zepy
1222th Post

"Re(3):April's new anime" , posted Thu 6 Apr 12:48post reply

quote:
Because even though I loved it, the episode was totally lacking of any 漢 I know of.

We have very different interpretations of the word 漢, I'm afraid we'll have to break up.

Pollyanna
1725th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):April's new anime" , posted Fri 7 Apr 05:17post reply

quote:

I know that Air Gear is all about fan-service and non-sense techniques but... hey! it's really funny! and the character designs are amazing (I love Oh! Great's drawings). I hope the anime does a good job about this work.

The Air Gear anime is trash. Trash trash TRASH.

It's another one of those junk anime aimed at profit with no regard for artistry or creative integrity. Junk art, ugly colors, base direction, uninspired VA performances, poor execution, cheap animation.

I would say that the selling points of Air Gear are its excellent art/sense of design, humor, sex appeal and well-executed sense of action and motion. The TV series is missing all of these.

Of course, I've only seen one episode, but it was so horrendously poor and typical of the crap that most studios shovel out that it's evident what KIND of show it is, even if the budget increases later.

I don't know why people get excited about TV series of manga they like when 9 times out of 10 they turn into some cheap commercial affair.

Buuuut...some people don't care about that sort of thing, as long as it moves and it's in color. Just like some people pick favorite VAs and enjoy their performances even if they're misguided or the same old crap they've been doing for years. Air Gear does indeed move (barely) and is in (ugly) color...and the VA performances are uninspired, which might mean they're typical of someone famous. So...maybe it delivers.

Arngrim
120th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):April's new anime" , posted Fri 7 Apr 06:02:post reply

Wo... how sad.

I know your opinion is reliable, Pollyana, and that's just what I was afraid the Air Gear anime would turn out to be T__T

I'll wait for the subs anyway, I hope that at least it keeps "watchable" (read it as "not horrible").

Well, at least I still have Nana, Simoun and Higurashi... T__T

[this message was edited by Arngrim on Fri 7 Apr 07:30]

Zepy
1223th Post

"Re(6):April's new anime" , posted Fri 7 Apr 09:18post reply

quote:
I'll wait for the subs anyway, I hope that at least it keeps "watchable" (read it as "not horrible").

Most will agree that it's the worst anime of the season. Or 2nd worst.

Maybe if you closed your eyes.

Pollyanna
1726th Post

"Re(7):April's new anime" , posted Fri 7 Apr 09:24post reply

quote:

Most will agree that it's the worst anime of the season. Or 2nd worst.

Maybe if you closed your eyes.

So it wasn't just me. Well, I mean...I tend to be very intolerant of cheap crap. Hahaha...or I should say I have a tendency to find the bad in things rather than praise the good.

Working in the industry has done this to me, I guess.

Zepy
1225th Post

"Re(8):April's new oricon song" , posted Fri 7 Apr 22:04post reply

Bring the haruhi ed to no.1 on the oricon charts ⊂二二二( ^ω^)二⊃ ブーン

VIP quality

Host club is great. Pripri is... okay. Gakuen Heaven is... not watched.
And I'm pretty surprised that Biblos crashed and backrupted, that's a chunk of BL gone from the market.

Arngrim
120th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):April's new anime" , posted Fri 7 Apr 22:39post reply

Wo... what a letdown...

Air Gear anime is becoming exactly what I didn't want it to become... I want to kill Toei... having so much potential and wasting it... -___-

I must see it for myself yet... but I find your opinion very reliable.

Well, I hope Simoun, xxxHOLIC, Nana and Higurashi make this season memorable... also... The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya... I've heard it's interesting, I'll watch it tonight ^^

Gojira
1953th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(10):April's new anime" , posted Sat 8 Apr 02:45post reply

For example's sake, could you compare the treatment of Air Gear to some other show that you felt was similarly treated? Just to give me an idea of what you see when you look at it.

Maou
824th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Re(10):April's new anime" , posted Sat 8 Apr 03:04:post reply

quote:
For example's sake, could you compare the treatment of Air Gear to some other show that you felt was similarly treated? Just to give me an idea of what you see when you look at it.

Not watching either one, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's like what the apparently crappy Tenjou Tenge TV was compared to what the pretty (if violent and sexist) original comic looked like.

edit: sepelling

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 8 Apr 03:04]

Bata kun
2864th Post

"Boku to Shigatsu no atarashii no anime" , posted Sat 8 Apr 03:05post reply

As far as I know, this is the month with the most anime being aired ever?

"Air Gear's" anime is horrid? Well, that's not a surprise. Too bad Touei got the nod to do the anime.

Hajime's 29? I figured he'd be much younger than that. 20 at the oldest. Then again, I never read "Yumetsukai" outside of that thread a long time ago. Never the less, I'm going to look forward to "Yumetsukai" because Kawasumi Ayako-san, Hisakawa Aya-san, Noto Mamiko-san and Seki Tomokazu-san are in it. Plus, Madhouse is doing the anime. So, that's good.

Pollyanna
1728th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):April's new anime" , posted Sat 8 Apr 06:19post reply

quote:

Maou has a good guess. The Tenjou Tenge anime wasn't so hot. Actually, most Jump anime is pretty poor (with the exception of Naruto, and Bleach to a lesser extent). So...take your pick of those.

I don't demand a gorgeous budget blowout like Honey and Clover to be satisfied, though. If you take a look at a show like Beck on its worst episode (and it hit some pretty low points in terms of art quality and animation) it's still good enough for me, because the show maintains a degree of artistry in terms of overall visual style and (especially) direction.

When a show like Air Gear comes along that has no redeeming qualities, it's only good for people who, for whatever reason, really hate manga.

Zepy
1228th Post

"Re(1):Boku to Shigatsu no atarashii no anime" , posted Sat 8 Apr 15:01post reply

quote:

I am glad that you're using boku, because as this site shows, it means that you're not a noobie(perhaps about to change to 2nd class), and it means you're cute.

The record for "most anime" keeps getting renewed every year in april, so nothing new. We'll probably get 60 or 70 next year, then the industry crashes on itself and dies.

Bata kun
2867th Post

"Re(2):Boku to Shigatsu no atarashii no anime" , posted Sat 8 Apr 16:47:post reply

quote:
I am glad that you're using boku, because as this site shows, it means that you're not a noobie(perhaps about to change to 2nd class), and it means you're cute.

The record for "most anime" keeps getting renewed every year in april, so nothing new. We'll probably get 60 or 70 next year, then the industry crashes on itself and dies.

Actually, I have used "boku" ever since college a few years back. Outside of "watashi" and "watakushi", this is the form I use the most. I don't use "ore" unless I'm sleepy or something, but for "jibun" and "ware", I use the former every now and then and I hardly use "ware". The cuteness factor, I had the idea already.

So, the record I thought I heard of will be broken again next year? Well, that shouldn't be a surprise. Ah, April: the month that starts series like "Azumanga's" television series.

[this message was edited by Bata kun on Sat 8 Apr 17:58]

rid
7040th Post

"Ah! My Goddess new season" , posted Sat 8 Apr 23:46post reply

Hild already? Peorth? more Lind?

Looks like the anime is jumping forward on the timeline to resemble more the current manga. Which can be good or bad, depending how is it executed.

And yes, the first season wasn't so hot, but no AMG anime has been...

Freeter
4332th Post

"Re(1):Ah! My Goddess new season" , posted Sun 9 Apr 00:46post reply

quote:

Looks like the anime is jumping forward on the timeline to resemble more the current manga. Which can be good or bad, depending how is it executed.

They'd better not mess up the Peorth arc...

Bata kun
2867th Post

"Re(2):Ah! My Goddess new season" , posted Sun 9 Apr 06:45post reply

quote:

Just hope that it'll turn out well.

quote:
They'd better not mess up the Peorth arc...

Ditto.

Maese Spt
212th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Ah! My Goddess new season" , posted Sun 9 Apr 20:34post reply

quote:

Woah. That would TOTALLY rock my world.

After the more than dissapointing first season, the only reason for me to follow this second one would be Hild's appearance. Then again, they surely would animate her poorly, so I'd end up more enraged than before...

MATSUKEN SAMBA!!!

Holiday
2548th Post

"Re(4):Ah! My Goddess new season" , posted Mon 10 Apr 05:41post reply

Ok, just watched the 2nd episode of Haruhi. Definitely absolutely following this.

And as Zepy mentioned, Host Club is great. Well, it's more mainstream laugh out funny, whereas Haruhi is more... weird funny?
And Host Club might make you gay; gay for androgynous Bridget types. Sexual ambiguity was never so tempting.

Following Higurashi too, so that makes 3 series so far. Watching Aria the Natural makes me lazy, so it's dangerous.

Other new stuff I watched. Probably not going to follow any of them, haha.
I'll give them the usual 2~3 more usualy episodes before I decide, but some cases warrant immediate deletion (Gakuen Heaven).

YumeTsukai. Alternative universe?
Himawari! (that new ninja anime with Okama designs)
Black Lagoon
Joshi Kousei. Was realistic?
Nana. Popular among many though
AMS 2nd season.

Gonna watch Good Witch of the West and Inukami next.

Arngrim
121th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):April's new anime" , posted Mon 10 Apr 06:28post reply

Finally saw ep 1 of Air Gear... I agree it pales in comparison to other shows of this season but I think I'll just give it try anyway.

I'm currently amazed by The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Nana, both for very different reasons.

Still waiting for the subs for Higurashi and xxxHolic... that will make my season, I guess.

rid
7042th Post

"Re(5):Ah! My Goddess new season" , posted Mon 10 Apr 10:36post reply

quote:
Himawari! (that new ninja anime with Okama designs)
What about it? I was interested...

Holiday
2550th Post

"Re(6):Ah! My Goddess new season" , posted Tue 18 Apr 22:41post reply

Uho, late reply!
quote:
Himawari! (that new ninja anime with Okama designs) What about it? I was interested...
Young ninja girl in training with an older man complex?
The character designs are cute and all and there's lots of Himawari armpit service, but I can't stand her voice, even after two episodes. Get her a better voice actor! But it's already too late

Haruhi has exploded upon the international anime fandom like crazy. It is good (for 3 episodes so far), but I never expected it to have such an effect. I even know of a few people who've already preordered the entire series of the DVDs and they don't even understand Japanese!

This season I just look forward to Haruhi / Ouran / Higurashi and Magipoka and Inukami as guilty pleasures. Everything else doesn't interest me as much.

Zepy
1237th Post

"Tagro" , posted Tue 18 Apr 23:33post reply

The himawari manga is by TAGRO! It's kinda different from the anime. I like it. Okama + Tagro is a great combination.

Haruhi ep 4 being ep 7 is... wonderful. They need a prize. They're probably going to jump all over the series and end with ep 6.

Arngrim
125th Post

Regular Customer

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" , posted Wed 19 Apr 05:18post reply

Haruhi has turned out to be the boom of the season. I agree with that, though. From here I encourage all the anime-lovers who visit the café to follow this series.

I think I'm becoming a "Haruhism follower" too.

The other boom of the season, in my opinion, is NaNa, this one has turned out to be really well-done and I think it will greatly surpass ParaKiss.

I still have mixed feelings for Higurashi, Air Gear and xxxHolic. I need more time to see if I will follow them.

Pollyanna
1748th Post

"Re(1):The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" , posted Wed 19 Apr 06:06:post reply

quote:

The other boom of the season, in my opinion, is NaNa, this one has turned out to be really well-done and I think it will greatly surpass ParaKiss.

NaNA DOES surpass ParaKiss. Erm, well...I mean, it's got better source material, and probably a larger budget, so I'd be surprised if the anime somehow turns out less that great. But I mean, in general, NaNa is better anyway.

I like anime, but I don't like...erm...how to say it "otaku-like things" as much.I don't know how to say it...it's like I'm not part of the "anime subculture." "Moe" is a meaningless word to me and I demands some level of artistry in anything I watch (unless it's retro, then it wins automatically). With that in mind, should I check out Haruhi?

EDIT: Actually, I take it back. The NaNa anime has ugly colors! That's a big turnoff. Well, they're not REALLY ugly, but the overall look is weaker than ParaKiss. Oh well, at least the story is still good.

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Wed 19 Apr 06:48]

Jason
130th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" , posted Wed 19 Apr 07:45post reply

quote:
I demands some level of artistry in anything I watch (unless it's retro, then it wins automatically). With that in mind, should I check out Haruhi?

Yes?
I mean, is comedy ever really considered artistic outside of, I dunno, French clowns or whatnot? The look is clean and smooth, nothing crazy go nuts. The characters both play off of and fall into some standard archetypes (not in any sort of self aware way, but rather, just by virtue of the goings on) and the setting, a school, is about as generic as that wacky japanese animation gets. The first episode is a nicely crafted emulation of a badly made fan video, complete with 4:3 ratio, washed out lighting, herky jerky camera movement and all that jazz. It has its own cringe inducing beauty in that way, I guess.
I dunno, I enjoy it. The kinetic title character is offset by rambly narration and a surprisingly slow feeling show. Slow for an animated comedy, that is, we're not talking 45 secound pans over falling leaves or nothing.

Meh?

I knew I would do it and I know this I know what I am doing now that I am doing something both beautiful but gruesome because I am destroying its beauty by knowing that it might be beautiful know that if I know that I am dong something beautiful that it's no longer beautiful. - Dave Eggers A.H.W.O.S.G.

Arngrim
127th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" , posted Wed 19 Apr 09:11:post reply

quote:

NaNA DOES surpass ParaKiss. Erm, well...I mean, it's got better source material, and probably a larger budget, so I'd be surprised if the anime somehow turns out less that great. But I mean, in general, NaNa is better anyway.

I like anime, but I don't like...erm...how to say it "otaku-like things" as much.I don't know how to say it...it's like I'm not part of the "anime subculture." "Moe" is a meaningless word to me and I demands some level of artistry in anything I watch (unless it's retro, then it wins automatically). With that in mind, should I check out Haruhi?

EDIT: Actually, I take it back. The NaNa anime has ugly colors! That's a big turnoff. Well, they're not REALLY ugly, but the overall look is weaker than ParaKiss. Oh well, at least the story is still good.

I think that the main strong point of NaNa, leaving aside the art, is the story and its pacing, the characters and the setting are fantastic, in my opinion. I don't happen to see anything wrong with the colors, I agree that so far aren't as vivid as in ParaKiss but I think they fit the mood well.

And about Haruhi... I think it's a breath of fresh air in this anime season. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, basically mocks at a wide variety of clichés in the anime industry. "Moe" being one of them, obviously (Haruhi herself explains what "moe" is to the main character in episode 2). The approach this series makes towards the anime clichés is rather cynical (for example, in episode 1, in the middle of what is supossed to be a shounen-action plot, it suddenly becomes a romantic-gakuen type ----doesn't that ring a bell of various other and recent anime series?).

To sum up, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is shaping out as a rather funny and auto-parodic anime, which has draught the attention of the fans of the genre. It also has some mystery and complicated issues that will keep the story interesting, keeping in mind that this is a sci-fi story even if it doesn't look like it yet.

Also, Pollyanna, if you happen to finally watch it, the real story begins in ep 2, being ep 1 sort of an experimental pilot or what could be called a "00".

I think it really has certain artistry so far. The script is rather good, taking into account it's based on a novel series, the premises of the story are quite promising and the animation is clean, disposes of a big budget, and undoubtably goes for a certain artistry, especially in the excellent and purposedly trashy episode 1.

I encourage you to give it a try! I will keep resposability for making you waste your time later if you consider so, hehe (I really hope not).

[this message was edited by Arngrim on Wed 19 Apr 09:25]

Pollyanna
1748th Post

"Re(3):The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" , posted Wed 19 Apr 09:33post reply

Ah! It's a comedy parody show! I didn't know. Well, in that case, no...artistry isn't that important, as long as it's not painful to look at. I'll give it a shot. I'll certainly watch 2 episodes at least. I can spare an hour.

I guess it's no so much that the color palette in Nana is "ugly" as it's just not bold or artistic enough. I mean, it looks better than the junk you see in a lot of shounen shows (Air Gear, Eyeshield), but I was hoping for something more like ParaKiss or Beck, which betrayed the manga style for something that worked better in animation.

Since you can't really reproduce Nana in animation (especially due to the way the gags flow), I was hoping for a more dynamic recreation of the visuals. I was VERY pleased with the opening, but the show itself "just looks like normal anime" sometimes.

Buuut...the truth of the matter is that Yazawa's color work for Nana is really ugly more than half the time, so the anime is still improving on the original.

I'm glad that the awkward stage of neon-esque CG colors is at least starting to come to a close.

I'm not trying to act "superior" because I demand this and that out of anime. I'm no better than the viewer who says "Who cares about the colors if the story is good?" or "I just like the characters. Who pays attention to "direction" anyway?" People can enjoy shows without "artistry" and not tell the difference...so why should studios bother with it, when bitchy people like me are the minority?

Of course...that doesn't make cheap anime any BETTER, even if it excuses it from a production standpoint.

Gojira
1956th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" , posted Wed 19 Apr 11:25post reply

quote:
Ah! It's a comedy parody show! I didn't know. Well, in that case, no...artistry isn't that important, as long as it's not painful to look at. I'll give it a shot. I'll certainly watch 2 episodes at least. I can spare an hour.

Eh... the first episode is certainly a masterpiece of fan-made filmmaking parody, but I don't know if the other 95% is parody or not. Maybe satire.

Holiday
2551th Post

"Re(5):The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" , posted Thu 20 Apr 03:20post reply

Suzumiya Haruhi is such a mean person. That's why she's so awesome.

I was watching Higurashi ep3 alone at work at 2:00am just now, while eating some snacks

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
and they look like the ones in this episode

End of Spoiler

rid
7047th Post

"misc" , posted Thu 20 Apr 09:09post reply

Okay, after watching episode 2... xxxHOLiC sucks. Go read the manga instead. The opening theme is nice, yes, but that's all.

Himawari 1 was way too generic for my tastes, and the writing and pacing were sloppy and flawed. But you don't expect quality in moe animes, do you?

Ah! My Goddess... it's the same as the first season. Not as good as the manga, but they tried more than with Holic, really. And it has Kikuko Inoue, of course.

I've started watching Ergo Proxy and seems to be promising, and while it seems the usual cyberpunk at first, it has a deeper storyline later, or so is it hinting.

Air Gear... Oh Great! isn't that "great" of a writer really, the manga was average and boring (but with pretty pics, yes) so I'll skip on this.

Arngrim
127th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):misc" , posted Fri 21 Apr 00:13post reply

xxxHolic anime is becoming a letdown. I agree the manga is much better.

Same with Air Gear... T__T

That's a pity, since those two were in the group of the most promising animes (for me, at least).

I hope Tsubasa Chronicles 2nd season, which is airing soon, keeps at least a better animation and story than what xxxHolic has shown so far.

At least, in the 1st Tsubasa Chronicles season, the first episode was a killer (but, much to my dismay, the second one is ridiculously crappy, and so the series majorly continue). xxxHolic 1st episode has already been so-so in terms of quality so I'm serious about skipping this anime if it keeps this way.

I'll cross my fingers.