Goodbye, Dorimaga. - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2565 Views )

Professor
2305th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"Goodbye, Dorimaga." , posted Tue 28 Mar 22:03post reply

Dorimaga is changing its name to Gamaga (ゲーマガ) starting its May 30 issue. Up until now, the magazine was basically like a watered down Dengeki G'z and it covered a lot of gal games. With the renewal, the magazine will start covering everything from handhelds (DS, PSP) to arcade games. It'll still feature a DVD, which this time will be Hybrid and include contents for PC as well as trailers.

The magazine's price is going to be jacked up from 580 yen to 880 yen. wow, that's almost the price of a month's subscription of shonen Jump. Except Jump is 450 pages x 4 issues, whileas Gamaga is 160 pages.

I've got a feeling that it'll still be gal-game based. Explanation reads "Gamaga will continue to be a Deep game magazine that is centered on core game information"

Replies:

Zepy
1201th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Goodbye, Dorimaga." , posted Wed 29 Mar 00:12post reply

Expensive! That's higher than Arcadia! Though not as high as FamitsuWaveDVD. I always wondered when Dorimaga will finally change their name.

PS. Did you my email?

Professor
2306th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Goodbye, Dorimaga." , posted Wed 29 Mar 00:42post reply

quote:
Expensive! That's higher than Arcadia! Though not as high as FamitsuWaveDVD. I always wondered when Dorimaga will finally change their name.

PS. Did you my email?

But, Geimaga sounds so... so... Gay, maga.

Yeah I've got yer mail (the one from 3/23), didn't you get my reply? Eh-oh, maybe I need to re-send.

Pollyanna
1709th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Goodbye, Dorimaga." , posted Wed 29 Mar 08:57post reply

I never really felt like Dorimaga was "Gal game based". Or rather, that they covered other material well enough that it wasn't an issue. At any rate, I felt "If I'm going to get a Japanese gaming magazine, it's gonna me Dorimaga", but that might be because of the Gyakuten Saiban columns and Akiman illustrations.

Well, and I'm sick of Famitsu...and their scans are all over the internet anyway.

Evenor
350th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Goodbye, Dorimaga." , posted Wed 29 Mar 12:05post reply

Has Arcadia "lowered" in quality or something?I'm just wondering; I haven't seen threads like " NEW ARCADIA SCANS" throughout the interent ever since the SVC:Chaos days.

(or maybe I'm just blind)

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Pollyanna
1710th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Goodbye, Dorimaga." , posted Wed 29 Mar 12:29post reply

quote:
Has Arcadia "lowered" in quality or something?I'm just wondering; I haven't seen threads like " NEW ARCADIA SCANS" throughout the interent ever since the SVC:Chaos days.

I think it's because the arcade market is much less exciting than it used to be. Arcadia tends to cover the same 3 games for like, 4 months in a row sometimes. The only thing that's less good about Arcadia now is the lack of a poster. Actually...that's a pretty big blow in my book.

Oh, by the way, I got your mail, but I'm quite bad at writing people back. You'll hear from me eventually, though.

Zepy
1202th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Goodbye, Dorimaga." , posted Wed 29 Mar 13:49post reply

I used to find Arcadia really boring, so I never read it. But now that I really play KOF XI and follow Tougeki stuff, Arcadia turned into a golden tome of endless knowledge. Though I still only read it for the KOF XI stuff. Maybe it'll transform into something better if I seriously got into more of the arcade games featured in the mag.

Then again this month's arcadia already moved kof xi into the black & white section. I'll probably stop reading the moment they stop writing new stuff about kof xi.

PS. no email & not in spam filter

NARUTO
3394th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):Goodbye, Dorimaga." , posted Wed 29 Mar 18:22post reply

quote:

Not a lot's of scan pop up apon the net...Like the TK5/TK5 dr scan, but here on the bbs there is not that much tekken player so...the scan poped elsewhere.

880yens...well like Zepy said it's less than the FamDVD. I'll buy 1 issue in order to see if their DVD content is better than the Famitsu one...

Tu Fuis Ego eris...Like you I was Like me you'll be...

CHAZumaru
379th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Goodbye, Dorimaga." , posted Sun 2 Apr 06:27post reply

quote:
ゲーマガ

Hehehe.
Speaking of name changes, Famitsu Cube + Advance finally switches to Famitsu DS (+ Cube + Advance) this month.

quote:
Up until now, the magazine was basically like a watered down Dengeki G'z and it covered a lot of gal games.

Though it covered a lot of gal games, I think it still was the closest thing to a pure gamer's magazine (stuff like Continue notwithstanding). After all, it was the mag with a NeoGeoFreak section in it at times... On the other hand, the moe phenomenon is even affecting "regular" publications now. For instance, FamitsuPS2, which gained back readers under Aizawa's management by targeting core gamers instead of casual players, is now focusing on its "Characters" section to pursue its recoveryin sales. And this "Characters" section is truely what could be described as G'z lite. They are apparently going to push it more and more in the next few months.

By the way Prof, what's your opinion on Continue? I used to see it as rather vapid, but the more I understand japanese, the more I appreciate it (especially the latest issue).

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!