Replies:

Evenor
340th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Suikoden V preorder bundle" , posted Thu 23 Mar 09:28post reply

quote:
Anyone here get the artbook and cd? I am saddened that I didn't get mine

My friend who's a Suikoden fan got the artbook/cd (he didn't even preorder it)

If he rips the CD ,I can send it to you if you want.

Also, can you post some impressions of the game?

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Pollyanna
1692th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Suikoden V preorder bundle" , posted Thu 23 Mar 09:50post reply

quote:

Also, can you post some impressions of the game?

For what it's worth I've -seen- the beginning of the game played. My initial impression was that the areas are big, boring and empty, the music is at least one notch above bad, the fights look unexciting because the characters move sluggishly, the loading in the fights is bothersome and the characters are very expressive.

The characters really come alive in the plot scenes. They animate tremendously well and they have a wide variety of facial expressions. The Japanese VAs are a notably better than those used in Suikoden 4, so in terms of story, the world is immediately compelling.

I'm not especially fond of the character designs (too "anime" looking) and there are lots of tiny nuisances even at the beginning, but it looks promising all the same. I'm debating rather I want to import it or play it in English. Depends on how bad the dub is. I already know the translation is a bit shoddy.

Gojira
1949th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Suikoden V preorder bundle" , posted Thu 23 Mar 16:10post reply

I got it today. This main character is the most effeminate main character ever conceived. Anyway so far I still haven't gotten to the real meat of the game (Almost 3 hours and only one tiny "dungeon" so far) but for first impressions I pretty much agree with what Polly's said. The environments have been exceedingly bland so far. I'm hoping they get better because the inland world sounds like it would lend itself well to exploration.

I can say that the dub voices seem to have been handled very well. There are occasional hiccups in the timing, but the quality of acting was handled with care. We'll see if my opinion changes as I go further. With as many characters as Suikoden has, there's bound to be one or two stinkers, but at least the main characters are nice.

Maese Spt
192th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Suikoden V preorder bundle" , posted Thu 23 Mar 18:10post reply

quote:
Anyway so far I still haven't gotten to the real meat of the game (Almost 3 hours and only one tiny "dungeon" so far) but for first impressions I pretty much agree with what Polly's said.

I've only seen a few video footages thus far, but I pretty much agree with Polly's statements as well. Not that it does matter or anything, I'll play the game no matter what... I managed to enjoy Suikoden IV to some (very small) degree, so I MUST try this one as the Suikoden whore I am.

However, the lameness of combat system and the excessive loading times won't bother me so much. What I'm eager to know is:

A) Is the plot/scenario any good? It seemed promising to me, but I'd like to hear opinions from people who actually has played it (and no, blatant Suikoden fanboys don't count)

B) Are characters enjoyable? yeah, sure, among 108 guys, there must be some interesting people, but you know what I mean...

C) How is the music? The few tracks I've heard so far were OK, but I'm not betting my head on the new composer guy yet.

And thgere is another question wich bothers me...

D) Will the english voices hurt my ears (and soul)? The japanese dubbing sounds great this time, but I suppose there would be no "japanese voices" option in the american version...

Of course it's a bit too early to get all these questions answered but, anyway, I'd like to know your opinions as you progress in the game. If I manage to get a copy in the near future I'll share mines too, but I dunno if they would be objective enough...

MATSUKEN SAMBA!!!

radish
3149th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):Suikoden V preorder bundle" , posted Thu 23 Mar 20:37:post reply

I'm about 4 hours in. The beginning is as boring as all the reviews say. Not because of the plot or writing, but because of the sheer amount of stupid "to advance the plot, wander around and talk to every NPC in the area until you trigger the plot event" sequences. It's been used about four times in a row and it feels very archaic.

The plot seems to be shaping up to be a cool political battle so I'm sure it will get interesting once I get past the boring intro everyone has been bitching about.

The voice acting seems pretty good so far, but then again I'm not as picky as some people. Nothing ear splittingly terrible at least. Think better than official Nippon Ichi US dubs but not as good as Disgaea I guess.

The main character looks outrageously girly in his profile art, but the actual 3D model isn't so bad. He looks much more masculine since his face is more filled out and oval shaped.

I think it’s going to shape up to be good once the shit hits the fan as it does in every other Suikoden.

[this message was edited by radish on Thu 23 Mar 20:38]

Adon
1556th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):Suikoden V preorder bundle" , posted Fri 24 Mar 03:51post reply

Yes it is very boring in the beginning I am still in the beginning. I spend a few hours wondering around talking to a lot of people who have no impact on anything. I am sure it will get better. I have two questions more like confirmations for anyone who knows.

1. You definitely can not upload data from a previous Suikoden correct?

2. Are there any hidden items on shelves like the treasure maps ala Suikoden 4. Those items were event sensitive meaning you only had certain times to get them.

Thanks in advance

Gojira
1950th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Suikoden V ramble ramble" , posted Fri 24 Mar 19:50post reply

Well, now that I'm much further into the game, I can give some more detailed impressions. No spoilers.

First and foremost, I'll say that the story so far is great. There are a lot of chances to make decisions that affect the story (the manual mentions "bad endings" so I'm sure they're in there). It certainly takes a while to get your own base though; I've played for 15 hours and I STILL don't have one. Whereas Suikoden 4 would have been nearly over by now. I think I'm nearly there though.

The battle system is just about the same as it ever was, with a few enhancements. They brought back the training and magic school aspect from S3, so there is that. Also a new thing is formations, which allow you to arrange your characters in a way other than the standard 2 lines of 3 and have added effects on attack power and speed. Also in parties, aside from support characters you can take several reserve characters and swap them out when you want. Overall it's a limited but worthy system.

Aside from standard battles, other kinds of battles were improved too. An odd but not bad improvement is the addition of a timer to duels so you don't sit there thinking too long about what the other guy is saying. Also the army and naval battles now occur in a sort of real-time strategy where you command units and send them out. Army battles are back to the old RPS format of old, and the ship battles are basically the same as army battles instead of using the retardedly easy system from S4. Also, for once when armies clash it looks like a real battle with soldiers.

I love the music. I wasn't sure about it at first, but hearing Lunas, the dungeons and some old familiar themes I'm pretty sold on it. It doesn't top Suikoden 2, but I still like it quite a bit.

That's the good. To sum up the bad, the graphics are still fairly bland (stores look especially un-store-like, and often consist of nothing but some dude just standing around outside), and the load times are all over the place (random battles are annoying because of this). The fixed-perspective camera can be frustrating at first, and they didn't do an extremely good job of placing doorways in the foreground, but at least when it matters they try to keep objects out of your view. Also it seems they've taken to the dirty old trick of hiding chests behind solid objects, so good luck finding those. I just found out about it myself, completely by chance.

Generally it's the game many would have expected Suikoden 3 to be before it came out. I'm not trying to say anything bad about S3 though, since it has merit in its own right.

Well that's enough out of me.

Maese Spt
197th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Suikoden V preorder bundle" , posted Sat 25 Mar 07:30post reply

Yay, it's nice to get your feedback about the game! It pretty much confirms what I had already heard, but let it coming anyway!

quote:

1. You definitely can not upload data from a previous Suikoden correct?

As far as I've heard/read, the answer is no. That's a pity, but it's perfectly reasonable, given the timeline.

MATSUKEN SAMBA!!!

Mog
403th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Suikoden V preorder bundle" , posted Mon 27 Mar 08:38post reply

quote:

I've got an extra copy if you want it.

trogdor
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Suikoden V preorder bundle" , posted Mon 27 Mar 11:23post reply

quote:

I've got an extra copy if you want it.

Nah. Thanks for the kind offer, but i just wanted to know if it is worth bugging Gamestop for a copy. I'm mainly interested in seeing the character art b/c there isn't much that I can find floating around on the net. As such, I was wondering if it is some cheap pamplet or something that features alot of character illustrations and concept drawings.

As for the game, it's pretty involving and I wish I had more time to sit down and play it.