Original message (2066 Views )

Samson
53th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"PS2 : 2D fighting" , posted Tue 21 Mar 22:12post reply

Hi,

I'm in a mood for a SF3come back.
Now my DC is locked in a cave with all my ancient treasures, I need a decent pad to play the PS2 version.

I can easily find these, rather cheap :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/Samson_Unit/pad.jpg [Image Attached]

Are they good ?

Thanks for your help.

Replies:

Evenor
336th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):PS2 : 2D fighting" , posted Tue 21 Mar 22:47post reply

From personal experience, I didn't enjoy playing any fighting games with it. ( After buying a Hori stick, nothing seems to be up to par)

It's alright if you're in a hurry and short on cash,but investing in a Hori stick is worth it. (If you are a big fighting game fan)

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Samson
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):PS2 : 2D fighting" , posted Tue 21 Mar 23:10post reply

quote:
From personal experience, I didn't enjoy playing any fighting games with it. ( After buying a Hori stick, nothing seems to be up to par)

It's alright if you're in a hurry and short on cash,but investing in a Hori stick is worth it. (If you are a big fighting game fan)

Yeah I know sticks are the best (I've had the Sega and hori ones)...but I've always had trouble doing QCF*2 motions towards the left :(

Pads solve this issue of mine, and are a lot more quiet ;)

Plus, I sure am low on cash.

crazymike
1217th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):PS2 : 2D fighting" , posted Wed 22 Mar 00:35post reply

I may be the minority here but I actually enjoy the SF PS2 pads. Now the Xbox ones are a different story, much clunkier and bigger buttons.

But they are lightweight, never had a problem with motions, and of course the boxes make good display pieces.

Ishmael
2424th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):PS2 : 2D fighting" , posted Wed 22 Mar 05:18post reply

For my PS2 pad fighting needs I picked up one of those Sega Saturn pads built for the PS2. It cost a few dollars more than the SF pads but it's 98% like the Saturn pads of old.

Pollyanna
1690th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):PS2 : 2D fighting" , posted Wed 22 Mar 08:28post reply

The SF pads are OK. I can't recommend them, but I can't say there's anything really wrong with them, either. It's just to me, they aren't better than a normal PS2 pad.

I guess I'm the minority here, since I always hear people saying that the PS2 pad is totally rotten for fighting games. Now, I'm no fighting game pro, but I'm not inept, either. I can't do the crazy combo video GGXX/3rd Strike nonsense, but short of that, I'm in pretty good shape. There's one Kyo combo in Battle Colliseum that tears up my thumb, but that's it.

In terms of the pad, I don't think the SF controller is any better. I use it for Vampire exclusively, because of all its "quick tap" supers. It's a cheap controller with a pretty box, a perfectly adequate pad and a 6-button layout (which is nice). That's about it, though. I don't consider it superior to the PS2 pad.

There are a few minor annoyances, as well. First of all, for whatever reason, their default button setup is different than the default for every Capcom game. I have NO IDEA why they did it that way. It drives me nuts that I'm using the STREET FIGHTER CONTROLLER that isn't optimized for Street Fighter.

Second, the buttons are rather close together and it's not too difficult to accidentally soft-reset. I don't have fat fingers, either. I have slender, pretty fingers and it still seems a little "tight." I got used to it fast enough, though.

samson
55th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):PS2 : 2D fighting" , posted Wed 22 Mar 19:13post reply

I really need the 6 buttons layout and a directional cross that won't make my thumb bleed.

Thank you all for our help, I'll buy one.

Burning Ranger
1389th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(7):PS2 : 2D fighting" , posted Thu 23 Mar 10:44post reply

quote:
I really need the 6 buttons layout and a directional cross that won't make my thumb bleed.

I picked up the PS2 RYU pad. It's no Saturn Pad or an ASCII pad for that matter. It does the job though. I hear they're pretty cheap now if you can find them... I bought mine new for $5 at EB Games.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

Nobinobita
27th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):PS2 : 2D fighting" , posted Thu 23 Mar 16:08:post reply

If you want a good pad, you should look up the Sega Saturn style pad for the PS2. I'm not sure how much it goes for (i got mine for $15 from a friend), but i can't really think of a better pad for Street Fighter.

If it's a stick you're looking for, try the Hori stick that comes with the super special edition of Tekken 5.

Its a real deal Hori pad. Really great for street fighter, although i have trouble doing 360s on it (you'd think it'd be easier on a stick, but i seem to have trouble pulling off 360s on any stick).

I guess the whole package deal is quite expensive (like 100 bucks). But uh, if you like Tekken and don't already own it, its worth it. Or maybe someone's ebaying it for a good price.

oh and the Street Fighter pads aren't bad, especially not for $5. But something about them is odd. They feel too light, kinda flimsy, and i occasionally would press the pause button by accident which i've never done with another pad. But maybe im just clumsy.

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Thu 23 Mar 16:10]

Count Hihihi
42th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(7):PS2 : 2D fighting" , posted Thu 23 Mar 17:28post reply

quote:

Neogeo Pad 2. It won't make your thumb bleed, no matter what you do. I actually use it for Evo, only. For everything else, I use my original digital PS pad that I got with my first system, back in '95. I love it to bits.

"Dont bother. Your gonna be hammered by some git hammering buttons as Horwang or Christy anyway." - RR