Will this really halt sales of PS2s & games? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1581 Views )

Burning Ranger
1382th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Will this really halt sales of PS2s & games?" , posted Wed 15 Mar 12:57post reply

Sony 0, Patent whores 1

http://news.com.com/Sony+loses+round+in+DualShock+patent+case/2100-1047_3-6049177.html

And to think, Microsoft licensed these guy's technology.

Discuss!

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

Replies:

crazymike
1215th Post

"Re(1):Will this really halt sales of PS2s & g" , posted Wed 15 Mar 16:23post reply

I'm a little confused on this case, are they saying immersion has a patent on ALL forms of rumbling controllers or did Sony steal a particular method for the rumbling that violated their patent?

Burning Ranger
1384th Post

"Re(2):Will this really halt sales of PS2s & g" , posted Thu 16 Mar 07:37post reply

quote:
I'm a little confused on this case, are they saying immersion has a patent on ALL forms of rumbling controllers or did Sony steal a particular method for the rumbling that violated their patent?

I don't know... I don't know how this court case will play out, but it's serious business when the US Courts deny to throw out the case. Of course, there's the issue of prior art, but I can't think of any video game console that utilized a vibrating controller first... I know Nintendo did it on the N64, but I'm not sure if that was before or after Sony.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

Shooo-rook
109th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Will this really halt sales of PS2s & g" , posted Thu 16 Mar 07:51post reply

quote:

I think it is a certain type of rumbling device in the controller... it just so happens to be that Logitech, Microsoft, and Sony has used the same device in their controllers... I heard about this case a while ago, I only hope the best for Sony...

Are you slave to the blade?

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Will this really halt sales of PS2s & g" , posted Thu 16 Mar 13:33post reply

quote:
I know Nintendo did it on the N64, but I'm not sure if that was before or after Sony.

That was long before Sony. However, Immersion's technology dates back to the SNES/Genesis era.