+100 HP - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3861 Views )

KTallguy
844th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"+100 HP" , posted Sun 5 Mar 13:48post reply

FFXII Potion

Man, why can't they make commercials like this for the American market? Fricking awesome!

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"手前は役不足なんだよ!"

Replies:

kilvear
134th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):+100 HP" , posted Sun 5 Mar 13:52post reply

quote:
FFXII Potion

Man, why can't they make commercials like this for the American market? Fricking awesome!

Wow unexpected reactions.

Nothing Serious. Casuals Only.

OmegaDog
1584th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):+100 HP" , posted Sun 5 Mar 14:13post reply

... well now, that was entertaining.

"So... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY!" || CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21

catalyst
142th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):+100 HP" , posted Sun 5 Mar 14:20post reply

would be funny if they did it like with x potion and ghost monsters, drink it and die.. wait thats bad advertisement never mind.

Oh my what a commercial, quite amusing.

Catalyst jukebox ::kicks:: - Etro Anime: "Endless"

Bata kun
2835th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):+100 HP" , posted Tue 7 Mar 02:19post reply

Where's my "Final Fantasy XII" ether? =P

KTallguy
846th Post

"Re(3):+100 HP" , posted Tue 7 Mar 13:29post reply

I'll let you know.

I preordered it and I'll post my impressions if people want me to. It'll probably come in about 2 weeks.

*EXCITED* I hope I'm not disappointed though...

"手前は役不足なんだよ!"

OmegaDog
1587th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):+100 HP" , posted Tue 7 Mar 14:37:post reply

quote:
I hope I'm not disappointed though...

... you will be when green 100s fail to spring out of your body.

"So... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY!" || CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Tue 7 Mar 14:38]

Maou
799th Post

"Re(5):+100 HP" , posted Tue 7 Mar 14:44post reply

quote:

Especially since you can already get the same effect from Melon Soda, the best soda ever made.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

gorgeous
99th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):+100 HP" , posted Tue 7 Mar 17:10post reply

quote:
Especially since you can already get the same effect from Melon Soda, the best soda ever made.

actually, that's just green piss.

"MELON SODA! THE BEST DRINK IN THE WORLD FOR PEOPLE WHO'VE BEEN TO JAPAN ONCE AND WANT TO PRETEND THEY LIKE SOMETHING ABOUT JAPAN THAT OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN TO JAPAN DON'T PRETEND TO LIKE EVEN THOUGH BY NOW EVERYONE CLAIMS TO LIKE IT GLAGHALAG!!"

i wish they would replace all of the melon soda taps at family restaurants over here with grape soda. i mean, it's all by fanta anyway.

i guess if they changed it to grape all of the japanese people who don't ever drink melon soda would scream "OH MY GOD!! NOW OUR SACRED COUNTRY ISN'T WACKY ANYMORE!!" and then they would all implode.

. . .

i'm thinking about drinking one of these potions.

do i need to preorder?

should i write an FAQ for gameFAQs?

Maou
800th Post

"Re(7):+100 HP" , posted Wed 8 Mar 02:00post reply

quote:
actually, that's just green piss.

"It's my job to keep Japan elite." I like it because it is tasty...besides, you can get it in any ol' store on the west coast of the US, and even in select 7-11's on the east, strangely enough.

KTallguy
847th Post

"Re(8):+100 HP" , posted Wed 8 Mar 03:54post reply

I like tea.

Oh, and I didn't preorder the drink, I preordered the game. =P

"手前は役不足なんだよ!"

gorgeous
100th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):+100 HP" , posted Wed 8 Mar 14:09post reply

Okay, I drank a Final Fantasy XII potion last night.

. . .

. . . . . .

Yeah, Melon Soda is pretty good, I guess.

Maou
802th Post

"Re(2):+100 HP" , posted Wed 8 Mar 14:14:post reply

quote:

Okay, I drank a Final Fantasy XII potion last night.

more info plz

If you can't cast Thundaga by now, this thing is a bust.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 8 Mar 14:27]

Professor
2289th Post

MMCafe Owner

"FFXII scores a 40." , posted Wed 8 Mar 16:15:post reply

Speaking of which, Final Fantasy XII received a 40/40 full score by Famitsu (that's all of the 4 reviewers giving a 10).

Everyone's having a blast with their FF Potions. This page is Japanese text intensive, but follow the links and you'll see all sorts of odd mix-ups.

Potion + Miso soup, Potion + Cocoa drink, Potion + Curry...

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 8 Mar 16:27]

gorgeous
102th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Wed 8 Mar 18:01post reply

quote:
Speaking of which, Final Fantasy XII received a 40/40 full score by Famitsu

Yeah. I heard from a friend that works for a company I'll call "EB!" that they made "an inspired decision" several weeks ago.

Though I will also say the game is, from what I've played so far (only like five hours -- I'm waiting for the final retail version; and my new HDTV!!) . . . shockingly very good. I for some reason wasn't expecting it to be very good at all. Wow. It starts with a real bang. It's like Vagrant Story * 10^25.

So maybe Famitsu was "inspired" by that?

As regards the potion -- it tastes like grape aftershave!!

Which I guess is good, if you like that sort of thign!!

Maese Spt
182th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Thu 9 Mar 01:56post reply

quote:

I myself am interested in a Potion + vodka combo. Hope I can get to try it sooner or later...

"At his coming the gods themselves are put to flight and the Buddhas vanish"

Rid
7032th Post

"Re(2):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Thu 9 Mar 03:24post reply

quote:

I myself am interested in a Potion + vodka combo. Hope I can get to try it sooner or later...

Can I just get blue curaçao and pretend it's Potion? easier to get, probably tastier, and already has the color.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
half blue curaçao, half piña colada, dash of lemon = wins

End of Spoiler

Maou
802th Post

"Re(2):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Thu 9 Mar 05:33post reply

quote:

As regards the potion -- it tastes like grape aftershave!!

Which I guess is good, if you like that sort of thign!!

The question is really whether it will make a good ice cream float, which is the measure of a good soft drink. (See: Melon Soda, Root Beer, Cream Soda. Fail to see: every other soda ever. But I'm picky.)

exodus
3300th Post

"Gil versus yen" , posted Thu 9 Mar 09:05post reply

I don't care if some of you dislike tim's words, this is damn clever:

quote:
The Potion costs 200 yen. In the original Final Fantasy, a Potion was 60 Gil. This gives us our first-ever real-world exchange rate for classic Final Fantasy currency: .3 Gil to the yen. At the day's exchange rate, this makes $1 US equivalent to 35.3124 Gil. This means that the Silver Sword we saved up 4,000 Gil to buy in 1987 is worth only approximately $113.27. I would assume the silver is not real.

from the ic post

KTallguy
848th Post

"Re(2):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Thu 9 Mar 10:49post reply

The more this game resembles Vagrant Story, the better in my book. One of my favorite games of all time!

I dunno, the music on the site, the art, the screenshots... Famitsu's blessing =P

I'm getting hyped!

"手前は役不足なんだよ!"

gorgeous
103th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Thu 9 Mar 13:17post reply

quote:
The more this game resembles Vagrant Story, the better in my book. One of my favorite games of all time!

Yeah, this game is totally "Vagrant Story for the people." You will see!!

Notice Famitsu readers didn't put Vagrant Story ANYWHERE on their top 100, even though it got a 40, too.

Then, they put Matsuno's Tactics Ogre in at #7!!

So . . . Final Fantasy XII will probably be at number one.

The thing is, it's so . . . "risky" in that it doesn't really have any gimmicky characters. The girls look just like "Real-life Yuna and Rikku", though I guess that's alright. I like that it doesn't rely on characters who would look cool on a lunchbox -- the story is just great, so far. Again -- "Vagrant Story for the people." The people didn't get Vagrant Story because it was too narrow in scope.

They will . . . totally get this, because it's so big. It's damned huge.

I still need to play more, though hey.

Maou
804th Post

"Re(4):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Thu 9 Mar 14:34:post reply

This is even more exciting to hear about than Potions. Even though it has no one I associate with Final Fantasy with it, at least it's a good team. Vagrant Story for the people sounds great, seeing as how Vagrant's chara designs, music, and story really grabbed me but the gameplay made me flee. Hooray for Vagrant Fantasy XII.

edit: good god, and it's out in 7 days!

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 9 Mar 14:50]

Iggy
7565th Post

"Re(4):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Thu 9 Mar 18:14post reply

quote:
The thing is, it's so . . . "risky" in that it doesn't really have any gimmicky characters. The girls look just like "Real-life Yuna and Rikku", though I guess that's alright. I like that it doesn't rely on characters who would look cool on a lunchbox

Oh, so they ditched the big breasted leather dominatrix and her huge bunny hears ?

That's a relief.

pointman_4000
48th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Thu 9 Mar 19:48post reply

So, I'm to assume that XII is worthy of the 40/40?

[-OO]----///////////////////

CHAZumaru
369th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Thu 9 Mar 19:59post reply

quote:
So, I'm to assume that XII is worthy of the 40/40?

Hamamura Tsushin's new swimming pool says "hell yes!".

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!

Time Mage
2339th Post

"Re(5):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Thu 9 Mar 22:42post reply

quote:
TVagrant Story for the people sounds great, seeing as how Vagrant's chara designs, music, and story really grabbed me but the gameplay made me flee.

Vagrant Story's gameplay is the best part of the game, once you understand it. I can spend hours in the workshops making new equipments, and it never gets boring! Also, understanding the weapon type/element/enemy type concepts and how they affect damage makes the game even a little too easy.

Bata kun
2841th Post

"Re(1):Gil versus yen" , posted Fri 10 Mar 00:42post reply

quote:
The Potion costs 200 yen. In the original Final Fantasy, a Potion was 60 Gil. This gives us our first-ever real-world exchange rate for classic Final Fantasy currency: .3 Gil to the yen. At the day's exchange rate, this makes $1 US equivalent to 35.3124 Gil. This means that the Silver Sword we saved up 4,000 Gil to buy in 1987 is worth only approximately $113.27.

Too bad no country's creative enough to adopt the Gil. Then again, that would be a good thing if you think about it. =P

Maou
804th Post

"Re(6):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Fri 10 Mar 02:05post reply

quote:
Vagrant Story's gameplay is the best part of the game, once you understand it. I can spend hours in the workshops making new equipments, and it never gets boring! Also, understanding the weapon type/element/enemy type concepts and how they affect damage makes the game even a little too easy.

Heh, maybe it was the way the gameplay took place in such, ah, very brown dungeons. Very very brown.

Time Mage
2340th Post

"Re(7):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Fri 10 Mar 03:11post reply

quote:
Heh, maybe it was the way the gameplay took place in such, ah, very brown dungeons. Very very brown.

And a grey city, and green woods, and blue undergrounds, and red mines, and...

KTallguy
850th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(8):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Fri 10 Mar 03:42:post reply

Man, it makes me wanna pop the CD in again ! =)

Ya, but if you didn't read a faq, or really spend time figuring stuff out (not just coasting), then I can see why Vagrant Story would be difficult to play. You really have to know what weapons work on what, or you'll be doing no damage to anything, and get frustrated really fast.

FFXII = Vagrant Story for the people ? Awesome.

And didn't some of the people on this project do FFTactics ?

Edit: As long as it doesn't start to suck ass halfway through like Rogue Galaxy. Wow, I was enjoying that game for a while until it started to throw the most boring dungeons ever at me.

"手前は役不足なんだよ!"

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Fri 10 Mar 03:44]

gorgeous
105th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Fri 10 Mar 12:20post reply

quote:
Oh, so they ditched the big breasted leather dominatrix and her huge bunny hears ?

Hey, those bunny ears are real. She can't help it.

Iggy
7568th Post

"Re(6):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Fri 10 Mar 17:23post reply

quote:

I guess the emotion engine is not powerful enough to protect me from such atrocities, then...

I hope the PS3 will be so awesome it will automatically ligature bunny ears. And replace the feet of every single character of any game by goose fins.

gorgeous
108th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Fri 10 Mar 18:47post reply

quote:
I guess the emotion engine is not powerful enough to protect me from such atrocities, then...

I hope the PS3 will be so awesome it will automatically ligature bunny ears. And replace the feet of every single character of any game by goose fins.

Actually -- speaking seriously for a moment -- the Cell is actually powered by the deadly venom of real Platypi. Kutaragi says this is because "Platypi are the bombだよ." So goose fins are possible.

I'd rather see the system have wireless controllers and two superfluous controller ports which drip honey. The honey never seems to run out, no matter how long you stay crouched in front of it sucking.

Meanwhile, the television will display a 1080p image of a hyena eating a wildebeest.

Iggy
7570th Post

"Re(8):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Fri 10 Mar 18:55post reply

quote:
So goose fins are possible.

\o/ !

quote:
I'd rather see the system have wireless controllers and two superfluous controller ports which drip honey.

You, sir, are a barbarian.

Cain Highwind
665th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Fri 10 Mar 22:55:post reply

quote:
TVagrant Story for the people sounds great, seeing as how Vagrant's chara designs, music, and story really grabbed me but the gameplay made me flee.

That;s the problem with me. I LOVED everything else about Vagrant Story, but I just couldn't figure out the gameplay and got really frustrated with it. Giving up halfway through.

If FFXII has the same great graphics and story, and simplifies the game a little, then I can see where the 40 comes from.

I also played the demo. I felt kind of lukewarm about it. Not terribly excited, but certainly not bad either (Playing the FFX demo I was really excited, but disappointed with the final game; maybe XII will be the opposite)

I forgot to say, the environments in the demo looks great. It's like FFX with VS's design, although despite VS's different locations I didn't like that t felt like a dungeon crawler, FFXII seems to add a real sense of exploration (I'm hoping for a more DQ8-ish world.

[this message was edited by Cain Highwind on Fri 10 Mar 23:05]

Time Mage
2342th Post

"Re(7):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Sat 11 Mar 00:41post reply

quote:
although despite VS's different locations I didn't like that t felt like a dungeon crawler,

Well, that's because VS is a dungeon crawler. One with great graphics, wide variety of backgrounds, great story and spectacular gameplay. VS is not a RPG, at all.

And I really, really hope they don't dumb down the gameplay just to make it more appealing to the masses. I mean, if they simplify it, making it interesting, great, but if they take down good ideas just because they are "too complicated", I won't like it.

NARUTO
3380th Post

"Re(8):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Sat 11 Mar 19:30post reply

quote:
Well, that's because VS is a dungeon crawler. One with great graphics, wide variety of backgrounds, great story and spectacular gameplay. VS is not a RPG, at all.

And I really, really hope they don't dumb down the gameplay just to make it more appealing to the masses. I mean, if they simplify it, making it interesting, great, but if they take down good ideas just because they are "too complicated", I won't like it.

Well VS is somehow still a RPG game...the characters stat and the items systems comes from the RPG.

As for FF12 the game play isn't too much simple. it's somehow a regular FF gsystems with some additions.for what I've heard for exemple, the ennemis are on field now, you have have the screen "clash" like usual and to see if you can attack all weapon have a reach, and an arrow shows you if you can attack or not. Othger characters can be set on Auto, if you only wish to take care of 1 characters, but it's deffinitely not a good thing to do agaisnt bosses or strong ennemies....and so on...

Tu Fuis Ego eris...Like you I was Like me you'll be...

Time Mage
2343th Post

"Re(9):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Sat 11 Mar 22:21post reply

Believe me, Naruto I do know more abot FFXII than you, unless you've already played the game. However, until I don't play the game I won't be able to decide if it's complex or not.

NARUTO
3381th Post

"Re(10):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Sun 12 Mar 18:53post reply

quote:
Believe me, Naruto I do know more abot FFXII than you, unless you've already played the game. However, until I don't play the game I won't be able to decide if it's complex or not.

You know FF12 more than me? maybe but your deffinitely not the only one interested in the game and who tries to get as much informed as you can.
So,played is maybe a big word. Tried the demo of the DQ8 box.
Which is diffinitely not a finished game but enough to see the classical stuff like graphics and such...

NARUTO
3382th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Sun 12 Mar 18:59post reply

BTW here: 4-7575-1662-2
This may interest you since it the FF12 official World preview.
112 pages for 580Yens...

Time Mage
2344th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Sun 12 Mar 20:30post reply

quote:
BTW here: 4-7575-1662-2
This may interest you since it the FF12 official World preview.
112 pages for 580Yens...

Thanks for the info. My Japanese knowledge is limited (limited = no idea), but it may be interesting.

About playing the game: I've also played the demo quite a few times, but sadly it only gives a rough idea of the system. You can't use skills, you can't customize your gambits, you can change the equipment, you can't manage, not even see, the license board, etc... That's why I'm saying that I need to play the game to judge the gameplay properly.

NARUTO
3384th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Mon 13 Mar 17:54post reply

quote:
Thanks for the info. My Japanese knowledge is limited (limited = no idea), but it may be interesting.

That's why I've gived you the world preview... Those are like their name says a preview of the game they'ed only shows between 1/4 or 1/3 of the game shows only the basic and not the deep systems, just a few bosses and not the full bestiary. 2nd those books are more pics or map based with a limited amout of text so even a Zero japanese speak can find some usefull stuff in here...
Unlike the Ultimania which are the Full guide, with more than 600 pages full review of the system, bestiary and walktrough...interview and other bonus those can be hard to undersatnd with no knowledge of japanese, but still having a bestiary with all info, and once again some pics and map can be helpfull...

quote:

About playing the game: I've also played the demo quite a few times, but sadly it only gives a rough idea of the system. You can't use skills, you can't customize your gambits, you can change the equipment, you can't manage, not even see, the license board, etc... That's why I'm saying that I need to play the game to judge the gameplay properly.

the demo is deffinitely limited, If I didn't have any hopes about the licence board, I was hoping something about the gambits, and the skills...it's a demo after all...
I maybe be able to try the game this weekend or next week...(released the 16 right?) maybe be able to tell you more then....

Time Mage
2346th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Mon 13 Mar 20:58post reply

quote:
I maybe be able to try the game this weekend or next week...(released the 16 right?) maybe be able to tell you more then....

Well, in fact it's been leaked a few days ago. I'll try to stay away from any info regarding the game as soon as it's released: I don't want to be spoiled, not even minimally ;)

NARUTO
3387th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Tue 14 Mar 16:46post reply

quote:
Well, in fact it's been leaked a few days ago. I'll try to stay away from any info regarding the game as soon as it's released: I don't want to be spoiled, not even minimally ;)

OK so If I try it and make a little opinion on the board I've try to be as spoilerless as possible...

Time Mage
2347th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Tue 14 Mar 18:26post reply

quote:
OK so If I try it and make a little opinion on the board I've try to be as spoilerless as possible...

Yeah, any spoiler-free info about the gameplay, the system, and the general feeling will be welcome, thanks.

NARUTO
3389th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Wed 15 Mar 18:59post reply

Some impresions gathered as spoilerless as possible..

2 hours into the game, barely scratched the surface...

* The prologue/intro is amazing. The battles are like watching a mix of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. Pretty fast paced too. Events happen one after the other, so not many long dialogues.

* Once you are able to move your character, the city feels big enough. There's a lot of people which you can't talk to and just standing there, but it gives you a sense that you're in a city. I like how there is an icon on top of NPCs you can talk to.

* Treasure chests, doors you can enter, anything you can interact with also have an icon. I don't know what other games do this, but I've seen it in Grandia III which I thought was a cool feature. Props to FFXII for using the same feature.

* The license board (to learn spells, equip new weapons/armor, etc) looks overwhelming at first, but like the Materia system in 7 and Sphere board in 10, it looks straightforward once you know how it works. However, I am being careful as to how I should raise my characters - might want a FAQ for this personally ^^;

* Battles feel like KOTOR and FFXI. I haven't figured everything out, but so far seems strightforward. The color of their gauge shows if you are strong enough to beat it, now this is pretty useful. The first DO NOT FIGHT enemy would probably be the dinosaur once you go out the city. One hit, bam, you die

* Not much complains for voice-overs so far...except Panero :-)

Overall so far, it doesn't feel like the traditional Final Fantasy, but I like the atmosphere so far. It's probably apparent with the previews you guys watched, not to sound like a broken record but...I'd say the architecture and mech design feel very much like Star Wars Ep 1-3...with characters coming from Vagrant Story.

The game begins with probably the most action packed, visually stimulating intro in any Final Fantasy game. What surprised me even more is how sharp everything looks, maybe it's due to playing on vga display, but the video, the characters, textures, all look really sharp and colorful. Simply from the first few minutes you will be able to notice the amount of work that went into this game. The character models, their faces, their clothing, the texture, everything is overwhelmingly amazing. Right after the intro you go into the game, and immediately you will be introduced to the new splinter cell styled navigation system in FF12, which is basically straight from FF11. You can rotate the camera all around you, it's fast, responsive, and so far I haven't ran into any camera problems at all. The 3rd person camera combined with the fact that every area in the game is connected really conveys the feeling that you are in the world of Final Fantasy. It's a great feeling really, you won't be able to put this game down once you start.

The actual game starts you off as Vann in Rabanastre. The town is full of people, and as Troidal said, the game does an amazing job conveying the sense of a real city. There are areas where it's more crowded than others, which is a nice touch conveying the sense of different parts of the city like the market, the central square, city gates, etc. In many of the areas you will see more than 10 NPC's at once. Amazing feat that Square has done and keeping everything nice and smooth. I will also mention that the sound is equally impressive. Even in the intro, at the first few minutes, you can hears the clanking of sword clashes, the sound of the armor colliding as different characters walk, etc. All crystal sharp, and superbly combine with the animation and the amazing graphics to really give the sense of tangible objects in the game. This game is a treat both in graphics and sound. The only complaints I have about the game's technical merits is the loading and sometimes fairly bland environments. I am being very very picky here, the loading is probably about 2.5 seconds and environment wise, it's not bad at all. I'll clarify what I mean.

The environments are big. The first city spans multiple areas and multiple floors. Imagine sizes close to FF11 cities. The world map is comprised of cities and interconnecting regions. Each region is comprised of several areas. Each area or dungeon being the size of what you saw in the demo. Some of the areas I visited include a desert and dry plains, and they are pretty looking and wide open. The dungeons are basically intersecting hallways and stairs for the most part, and this is where I feel it's a little bland, but it's not a big deal since you will be worrying about the battles anyways.

Here is the good part. I love this new battle system. Gambit takes aways the monotony of mashing attack and otherwise boring fights with lesser enemies. You might think the game is too easy with the AI controlling the characters, and I'll now explain why you are wrong. Each of the areas I've visited so far host a variety of different types of monsters of varying difficulties. Like what Troidal said the first world map area you visit contains a freaking dinosaur. You can not simply run around and just let the AI attack, cause you will aggro too many enemies and make your life much harder. There are also times when the game throws groups of enemies at you, if you don't do a bit of micromanagement or set the Gambit options, you will be pretty confused at all the stuff going on. I'll say it again, Gambit is good, it makes the game more fun rather than taking it away. If you start playing the game and you don't think Gambit is important, wait till you get to the first big boss fight, or just try playing the game in ATB mode. It's very very easy to die if you are not micromanaging.

Character development is very streamlined and I'm sure you all know about licenses now. It really forces you to vary the way you develop each character because of the way it's laid out. I won't go into this since it's been done more than enough times.

Story wise, I'm not in noob land anymore, but there are alot of things going on in the story, and alot of characters. I definitely love the more serious tone and the political intrigue of the plot. Voice acting is superb imo, much better overall compared to FF10. To talk about this further would be more spoilers, so I'll stop here.

To sum it up, this is probably going to end up being my favorite Final Fantasy game. The mmo style gameplay (for a lack of better description) really gives you the sense of being in an open world and the sense of adventure. I do get a star wars vibe from this game especially the first time you meet a judge.

Time Mage
2349th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Wed 15 Mar 21:24:post reply

Awesome, thanks. Where did you get those impressions?

Nevermind, I found them.

[this message was edited by Time Mage on Wed 15 Mar 21:47]

Sensenic
1463th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(10):Re(10):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Wed 15 Mar 21:49post reply

OK, now I'm feeling curious, and since I've been "unplugged" from this game for a long time... I'll ask the basics:

What are "licenses" and "Gambit"?

(Yeah I know I can search it, but it is nice to delurk from time to time too ^_^)

Deidara. I just loved that face. XD

"It's you know like when you die and you can't quite believe it"
An undead friend.

Time Mage
2349th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Wed 15 Mar 22:25post reply

In FFXII, you can't just get a piece of equipment and wear it, you need a license that will allow you to do so. For example, there's the "Low level swords" license, that will allow you to equip the... low level swords (wow! XD ). However, you need licenses not only for that, but also for gambits, skills, spells, etc. The licenses are purchased with License Points, that are won in battle, they are basically the typical AP you see in all the games in one shape or another. Also, you can't get any license you want, provided you have the LP. The licenses are arranged in a board, and you can only get the ones that are adjacent to others that you have purchased. This is very similar to FFX's sphere grid, in fact.

Now on gambits: Gambits are, basically, AI patterns for the characters. Since in this game you are controlling one character and the other ones are controlled by the AI (the "gambits"), you have a wide array of gambits to choose from, in order to customize your partner's behavior. For example, there's the "Heal when HP is below 30%" gambit, so if you equip it, said character will heal anyone that falls under that amount. That's just an example, but you can get an idea. There may be gambits to control what enemies to attack, what attacks use, what should the positioning be, etc. Please note that you can equip several gambits at the same time, so you can tell a character to focus on casting thundaga, but stop doing so when someone's HP is under 40% and heal him, while always staying as far as possible away from the enemy. It may be really good if there's a wide and interesting enough variety of gambits to choose.

I'll love this game, I know it.

Sensenic
1464th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Wed 15 Mar 22:49post reply

quote:
In FFXII, you can't just get a piece of equipment and wear it, you need a license that will allow you to do so. For example, there's the "Low level swords" license, that will allow you to equip the... low level swords (wow! XD ). However, you need licenses not only for that, but also for gambits, skills, spells, etc. The licenses are purchased with License Points, that are won in battle, they are basically the typical AP you see in all the games in one shape or another. Also, you can't get any license you want, provided you have the LP. The licenses are arranged in a board, and you can only get the ones that are adjacent to others that you have purchased. This is very similar to FFX's sphere grid, in fact.

Teh LOOOL! So armors and weapons are now protected against piracy too?

Will there be "time-limited" demo versions too?

*cough* *ehem*

Your Ultima spell will only be available for 3 casts from now. Do you wish to license it now?

1- Yes
2- Remind me later
3- Always trust "Squarenix magic spells Inc" products.
(Yeah, I know, this 3rd one doesn't quite belong here, but you get the idea)

Sorry, had to do it XD
quote:

Now on gambits: Gambits are, basically, AI patterns for the characters. Since in this game you are controlling one character and the other ones are controlled by the AI (the "gambits"), you have a wide array of gambits to choose from, in order to customize your partner's behavior. For example, there's the "Heal when HP is below 30%" gambit, so if you equip it, said character will heal anyone that falls under that amount. That's just an example, but you can get an idea. There may be gambits to control what enemies to attack, what attacks use, what should the positioning be, etc. Please note that you can equip several gambits at the same time, so you can tell a character to focus on casting thundaga, but stop doing so when someone's HP is under 40% and heal him, while always staying as far as possible away from the enemy. It may be really good if there's a wide and interesting enough variety of gambits to choose.

Oh, so the good ol' tactics system from Tales of Phantasia it is? (enhanced, of course)

Thx a bunch for the info!

Deidara. I just loved that face. XD

"It's you know like when you die and you can't quite believe it"
An undead friend.

Time Mage
2350th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Thu 16 Mar 00:09post reply

quote:
Oh, so the good ol' tactics system from Tales of Phantasia it is? (enhanced, of course)

Well, you said it, but I'll stress it: Many games rely on the AI for several tasks, and many of them have options to customize its behavior. However, the most I've seen is around 10 different options or around 20 or so different combinations of options. In FFXII, the possible combinations of gambits are practically infinite. I've seen a screenshot of the gambit screen, and there are LOTS of gambits. and, since you can combine them, that will make possible to describe to a very exact degree the behavior you want for you AI controlled characters. Well, that's suposing the gambits work as they are intended to.
So, my point is: Being able to control the AI behavior is not revolutionary at all; being able to micromanage it to such a high degree is what makes the gambit system unique.

KTallguy
851th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Thu 16 Mar 14:46post reply

Wow, just hearing these impressions ... damn it I want the game NOW! =)

I'm just afraid, I loved Rogue Galaxy until about halfway through, and then... it sucked.

I'm afraid to get burned again, but this time things seem to be overwhelmingly positive from all sides...

"手前は役不足なんだよ!"

gorgeous
111th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):FFXII scores a 40." , posted Thu 16 Mar 17:32post reply

quote:
I'm just afraid, I loved Rogue Galaxy until about halfway through, and then... it sucked.

It's unCANNY how much this game resembles Rogue Galaxy character/setting wise right in the beginning. And even in a lot of what it . . . does, it feels like Rogue Galaxy. Rogue Galaxy, which I loved until about halfway, at which point I just started "really liking" it, felt from the start like a bit of a one-trick thing. You know. Bashing the buttons. Cheap entertainment. LOTS of potions.

FFXII has a richness to it. I've played it about twenty hours now, and it just . . . reached a point in the plot that scared the hell out of me. It made me think, "Holy shit, this game is never going to end." Even though I haven't been playing it very long and even though I like it very much, it made me think "This is never going to end." It kind of reveals something interesting about videogames in general, I guess -- you know, with a book, especially a big one like War and Peace, you have this big nasty knot of a conflict and even if you might wonder, "Man, this could go on forever," you only need to feel the remaining pages with your right thumb and think, "Well, it's going to end after . . . this much." Until Final Fantasy XII, RPGs have tended to have a set number of mystical whatevers you've needed to collect; that was kind of your yardstick for measuring how far you were in the game. Now I'm at this point in FFXII and it's like . . . shit!!

So yeah! I don't think this game is going to burn anyone. Rogue Galaxy was great, I think, though only if you can stand its immaturity and episodic nature. This game is very しっかり. It is とってもしっかり. You will see!! Play it!! I doubt copies of it are in short supply or anything.

And the dialogue is damn well-written. And -- well. You'll see.

KTallguy
853th Post

"gripe rant time" , posted Fri 17 Mar 02:38post reply

Haha, considering your piece on Insert Credit really got me to buy Rogue Galaxy, maybe I should be mad at you, but I really don't care =) I did my research before buying and I really enjoyed the first half of the game...

Just, man some of those dungeons are so long and boring. I'm playing the game, and it's just the same over and over. Even the combat has a facade of depth that falls after you realize that some enemies have super armor, and you MUST burst attack to kill them, not even magic works (BTW your AI friends have no awareness of this fact). Even worse, the enemies that you have to jump to attack, what a pain in the ass. And then I've been hit by glitches where enemies disappear and I have to run from battle to end it. There's no real strategy associated with the battles, it's 'cast the best damage spells you have' + 'whack whack whack'. Don't even get me started with enemies that have inpenetrable shields if you don't pull a specific gun from your inventory that ONLY the main character has, that will ONLY remove the shield (it does no damage), and that the process of going into your inventory takes about 10 seconds to equip the weapon when in normal fights 2 strong spells kill the enemy in around 5.

To me, the game just feels like a big pile of busy work. The characters are actually pretty well designed visually, but storywise I haven't learned anything very interesting about them. The voice acting is great, and gives the characters, well character, but it reminds me of Chrono Cross, where 99% of the characters have no meaning backstory and the player is expected to bond with them because they have a funny accent.

The story really hasn't grabbed me at all. I'm wondering if after I collect these three magic pieces, there will be something solid to chew on with it, but I'm really not motivated enough to get through it... is there really a good story to be had here...? Give me a sign.

The design of Rogue Galaxy itself is great, as long as the characters have some meat behind them, then I'll enjoy it. Also the combat seems like a thinking man's combat.

And I'm frankly glad that we're moving away from 'mystical pieces' or whatever in our RPGs. There should always be those kind of RPGs out there, because it's a fun, more whimsical style, but hopefully as the genre matures we'll see some more advances, with more real life human (emotional) drama and intrigue in our games.

end rant.

"手前は役不足なんだよ!"