requesting impressions: Advance Wars: DS - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1454 Views )

sabo10
1342th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"requesting impressions: Advance Wars: DS" , posted Tue 28 Feb 08:43post reply

Has anyone here played Advance Wars: Dual Strike?
Anyone care to write some things about it?
I am particularly curious about how well the multiplayer game plays.
Tanx!

Replies:

Pollyanna
1659th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):requesting impressions: Advance Wars: D" , posted Tue 28 Feb 09:20post reply

I haven't had the fortune (or misfortune) to play it multiplayer, but otherwise, if you're considering buying it, I would say "if you like Advance Wars" you'll love it. It's reasonably challenging, has tons of characters, tremendous replay value and more than enough to keep you busy for as long as your interest holds up. If I was stranded on a desert island and could only take one game, Advance Wars DS would be it.

sabo10
1343th Post

"Re(2):requesting impressions: Advance Wars: D" , posted Tue 28 Feb 09:25post reply

I've heard though that with multiple players and a large amount of units in play, turns can get agonizingly long.

Less obviously though, I've heard that Advance War's rule set does not hold up well in human vs human combat, and battles quickly turn into protracted stalemates.

Pollyanna
1660th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):requesting impressions: Advance Wars: D" , posted Tue 28 Feb 09:41post reply

quote:
I've heard though that with multiple players and a large amount of units in play, turns can get agonizingly long.

Less obviously though, I've heard that Advance War's rule set does not hold up well in human vs human combat, and battles quickly turn into protracted stalemates.

I would assume that both statements are true, simply because I had those same problems with earlier Advance Wars games.

If you don't have the stalemate problem where a battle lasts for 2 hours because no one can quite finish off the other person, then you have a lengthy game of "chicken" where neither player is willing to put themselves in danger and waits for the other to do something stupid.

I don't really consider these shortcomings of the game so much as necessary evils. That is to say, I don't know how one would fix them without imposing weird rules or turn/time limitations, which might be frustrating.

The stalemate problem occurs to a lesser degree on CPU fights sometimes. A human player can admit defeat before the battle is over, but sometimes the CPU will needlessly draw out a fight that they have absolutely no chance of winning.

gorgeous
94th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):requesting impressions: Advance Wars: D" , posted Tue 28 Feb 10:13post reply

quote:
I've heard that Advance War's rule set does not hold up well in human vs human combat, and battles quickly turn into protracted stalemates.

Oh you know you love a protracted stalemate.

sabo10
1344th Post

"Re(4):requesting impressions: Advance Wars: D" , posted Tue 28 Feb 11:41post reply

quote:
Oh you know you love a protracted stalemate.

I'm also quite fond of humans...and COMBAT!

exodus
3295th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):requesting impressions: Advance Wars: D" , posted Tue 28 Feb 16:49post reply

it's quite fun!

better if you play it over there, I'm sure, as the english translation made me hate, hate, hate it. They made the kid all 1337-speak mixed with faux gangsta. I stopped playing it after four battles as a result.

haven't played multiplayer though!

Time Mage
2328th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):requesting impressions: Advance Wars: D" , posted Wed 1 Mar 04:50post reply

Multiplayer is fun, but you have to choose small maps, or the DS batteries will end before your battle. If you don't want to find yourself in stalemate situations, play in fog of war. That way, since you don't know exactly what the other is doing, you'll have to take risks every time, and so will your opponent. I'd suggest banning Sonja if you're playing FOW, though, since she's totally and completely overpowered with it.