Original message (2333 Views )

Phoenix
866th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Fri 24 Feb 19:13:post reply

What the topic says.
Mine's probably Ranma 1/2.
I was obsessed with that thing in highschool.
I even dressed up as Ryoga on Halloween at my highschool.
Everyone thought I was a pirate.
My first fave manga was probably DBZ tho...way better than the anime.

[this message was edited by Phoenix on Fri 24 Feb 19:13]

Replies:

Time Mage
2326th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Fri 24 Feb 19:35post reply

In my case, as so many others, it was Dragon Ball. I already watched and loved Saint Seiya and others, but Dragon Ball was the real hit.

Rid
7014th Post

"Re(2):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Fri 24 Feb 20:13post reply

Mazinger Z and Grendizer, but of course!

I ran from school to home every morning to watch them.

Digitalboy
283th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Fri 24 Feb 21:29post reply

Growing up would be Ninja Scroll.

Right now is Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Maese Spt
171th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Fri 24 Feb 21:41post reply

City Hunter and Lupin the 3rd. I loved them both so much. If I ever had something I could call a "childhood hero", that was Saeba Ryô. Even now I can watch to (a few) old City Hunter chapters and feel the very same delight. Sames goes with the manga, of course.

After that, Saint Seiya and Dragon Ball rocked my world pretty hard, and I guess Ranma 1/2 as well.

Later, when I was 15 or so, I discovered Ah!Megamisama... and it was like a divine revelation. My devotion for this series has not decreased a little bit over these years. But, actually, the only AMG animu I like are the OVAs, and certain sequences of the movie. The other thingies are OK, but original manga pwns them all. Indeed, Fujishima is a hero of our time...

"At his coming the gods themselves are put to flight and the Buddhas vanish"

Joe Randel
478th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Fri 24 Feb 22:24post reply

When I was really little I used to watch Astro Boy and Battle of the Planets (it wasn't till college that I learned it's real name). I remember not knowing why but for some reason these two shows drew my attention more then any other cartoon.

ahh the memories...

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Moriya
50th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 00:35post reply

Saint Seiya, easily. I grew up watching that, and I loved it.

κατά τον δαίμονα εαυτού.

HAYATO
588th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 01:25post reply

ZOMG!!! Akira and Hokuto no Ken animu for the win!!!!!!!

Grahf
433th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 03:35post reply

Before I even knew what anime was, Transformers was one of my favorite shows as a kid. I liked Voltron a lot too, but the Transformers were the best.

I feel like I was really "introduced" to anime much later when I saw Akira for the first time. After that I watched a bunch of anime movies, but the first anime series I really followed would be Tenchi Muyo! Around the same time I started watching Dragonball Z since it was all the rage at the time, but I didn't even make it through the whole series before I got tired of it. Probably the only part I've watched from start to finish would be the Cell arc.

exodus
3289th Post

"Re(2):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 04:12post reply

first? ronin warriors/samurai troopers, I suppose. Sailor moon was after that.

NeoRyu
1081th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 05:16post reply

Sailor Moon was mine.

Fuu is a cutie!!

CharlesProphony
21th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 06:05post reply

Doraemon and one anime that I doesn't remember its name...
it was something with mechs, flying ancient castles, pilots who integrated their bodies with some organic controls in the mechs and suffered the same damage in their bodies as the mechs suffered...
and if I'm not being too creative about my memories, the name of the anime rhymed with yaiba(yes, about the little crazy samurai boy from the creator of meitantei conan) and I think it was airing at the same time period as the yaiba manga was being published on sunday comics...

just improving my english...

Evenor
309th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 06:10post reply

quote:
Sailor Moon was mine.

That and Saint Seiya

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Bata kun
2784th Post

"Re(1):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 06:12post reply

First fav? Probably "Tenchi".

Mav
135th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 07:18post reply

*Hides laughter from Exodus' mention of Sailor Moon*

My first would probably be Ranma1/2, as well. I can remember not being able to get the theme song out of my head for weeks.

Maybe Robotech laid eggs in my brain as a youngster. I've always had a soft spot for giant stompy robots.

VManOfMana
648th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 07:33post reply

Saint Seiya and Sailormoon, like a lot of Mexican people of around my age :)

I remember several anime series from earlier (Candy Candy, Treasure Island, La Princesa de los Mil A~os (Queen Millenia?), Locke the Superman, Chappy, etc...) but Saint Seiya and Sailormoon where the first ones after knowing that what I was seeing as 'Japanese animation'.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

exodus
3291th Post

"Re(3):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 07:48post reply

quote:

sailor moon is awesome. my favorite was jupiter! Even when gothy emo saturn came out!

I know you're all analyzing my behavior in light of this new information, so FOR SHAME.

Shooo-rook
82th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 08:05post reply

I guess my first favorite anime was Dragon Ball Z... either that Or Gundam Wing... Then I started Watching Gundam G those hot body suits... Just finished watching the Neon Evangelion Series

First anime movie: Akira

Are you slave to the blade?

Bata kun
2785th Post

"Re(4):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 08:21post reply

quote:

sailor moon is awesome. my favorite was jupiter! Even when gothy emo saturn came out!

I know you're all analyzing my behavior in light of this new information, so FOR SHAME.

Now, now, don't forget. As much as I only liked it for the seiyuu and not much else, "Sailor Moon" at the time was the best shoujo series in Japan. They even forced "Akazukin Cha Cha" to be a mahou shoujo-esque series, which it wasn't in the first place. Otherwise, how else would it get people watching?

Besides, "Another Story" is really a good game. Oh geez. I should finish it.

Evenor
310th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 08:34post reply

quote:

Now, now, don't forget. As much as I only liked it for the seiyuu and not much else, "Sailor Moon" at the time was the best shoujo series in Japan. They even forced "Akazukin Cha Cha" to be a mahou shoujo-esque series, which it wasn't in the first place. Otherwise, how else would it get people watching?

Besides, "Another Story" is really a good game. Oh geez. I should finish it.

Didn't they make a Sailor Moon fighting game!?
I remember seeing it in an issue of Gamefan when I was younger.

.......I thought the Outer sailors were the coolest.
(and the starlights were awesome)

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Bata kun
2786th Post

"Re(6):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 08:57post reply

Yeah, but I didn't play it personally.

KTallguy
836th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(7):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 09:45post reply

Well, I did catch Sailor Moon sometimes on TV but I couldn't ever say it was a 'favorite'.

The first Anime I watched and really got into was Love Hina, the guy's art is really nice looking.

After that I watched Evangelion and it was all over.

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Tai-Pan
84th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 11:27post reply

quote:
Before I even knew what anime was, Transformers was one of my favorite shows as a kid. I liked Voltron a lot too, but the Transformers were the best.

I feel like I was really "introduced" to anime much later when I saw Akira for the first time. After that I watched a bunch of anime movies, but the first anime series I really followed would be Tenchi Muyo! Around the same time I started watching Dragonball Z since it was all the rage at the time, but I didn't even make it through the whole series before I got tired of it. Probably the only part I've watched from start to finish would be the Cell arc.

EXACTLY, I grew up with Transformers and some other US cartoons from the 80's. I also watched a lot of old anime from the 70's and 80's. Then I discovered Saint Seiya (my all time fav), Sailor Moon, DB-DBZ.

hayaku!!

KumagaiToshiro
106th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 12:36:post reply

I didn't realize it was anime back then, but my first favorite was Tezuka Osamu's Unico back when I was a little kid. Later on, as far as series go, it would be Ronin Warriors that caught my attention, along with Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2 and Hokuto no Ken (which still remains my favorite to this day).

[this message was edited by KumagaiToshiro on Sat 25 Feb 12:39]

simonbelmont
77th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 13:15post reply

Vampire Hunter D. Saw it on one of the Turner chanels many years ago. When I was 17 I think the first thing I did on my birthday was go and rent a few Urotsukidôji videos. Of course I liked Voltron and Robotech as a kid but had no idea that they were anime.

pointman_4000
39th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 25 Feb 22:43post reply

Ninja Scroll. Yes, I suck balls.

[-OO]----///////////////////

Burning Ranger
1378th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sun 26 Feb 02:39post reply

Project A-ko (Don't Laugh) was the first Anime VHS I ever bought. I still hold it in high regard. My second early favorite was the original Bubblegum Crisis. I can't get Kon-wa Hurricane out of my head.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

Hungrywolf
3120th Post

"Re(2):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sun 26 Feb 06:48post reply

quote:
I didn't realize it was anime back then, but my first favorite was Tezuka Osamu's Unico back when I was a little kid. Later on, as far as series go, it would be Ronin Warriors that caught my attention, along with Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2 and Hokuto no Ken (which still remains my favorite to this day).

Wow, I was originally going to say Record of Lodoss War (first saw it on the SciFi channel, back when they showed anime on Saturdays). After reading the thread though I was going to say Sailor Moon, because it really got me into anime (this was before Toonami and such, I think I used to catch it on USA or something, though it's now the only anime I cannot watch in English).

Thinking back though, I would have said Voltron, as that was a show I didn't know was anime as a child, but absolutely loved. However, you just reminded me about Unico.

I remember renting this over and over again as a child. Now, I couldn't tell you what it's about, or anything about it at all really. I don't really vividly remember how it looked even. I can tell you though that I never forgot the name Unico, and I'd love to find a copy of this. I can't even say why I love it, but I know that I do.

Mario Kart DS Friend Code:

aderack
225th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sun 26 Feb 07:12post reply

Yeah, Ranma. Totally.

Toxico
4135th Post

"Re(4):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sun 26 Feb 07:21post reply

quote:
Yeah, Ranma. Totally.

Space Adventure Cobra; I still remember the first scene when the main character wakes up with a huge hang over...

Other close enough would be Captain Future, Gekko kamen (dunno if the name was right? It was Centella on spanish) and.... I don't recall the original game; but it was a prequel to yatta man.

Dai Kyu marui gaiking is pretty close too; I worshiped Great Emperor Darius like the pagan god that he is!! XD

See??? He is a God...

KumagaiToshiro
106th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sun 26 Feb 15:23post reply

quote:
Wow, I was originally going to say Record of Lodoss War (first saw it on the SciFi channel, back when they showed anime on Saturdays). After reading the thread though I was going to say Sailor Moon, because it really got me into anime (this was before Toonami and such, I think I used to catch it on USA or something, though it's now the only anime I cannot watch in English).

Thinking back though, I would have said Voltron, as that was a show I didn't know was anime as a child, but absolutely loved. However, you just reminded me about Unico.

I remember renting this over and over again as a child. Now, I couldn't tell you what it's about, or anything about it at all really. I don't really vividly remember how it looked even. I can tell you though that I never forgot the name Unico, and I'd love to find a copy of this. I can't even say why I love it, but I know that I do.

I think I still have my copy of Unico to this day floating around somewhere in my apartment. Not sure if it even still plays.

Amakusa
664th Post

"Re(1):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sun 26 Feb 17:01post reply

The very first is probably Starvengers... better known as Getter Robo G. Like most people, the term 'anime' never occurred until much later.

And then there was Ranma 1/2, which was inadvertently introduced to me when a friend of mine wanted to ask my opinion if music in a certain scene sounded like Final Fantasy music (the scene in question was when Cologne was using the Splitting Cat Hairs on Ranma). I was only half-paying attention to that and instead was reading the Viz Ranma 1/2 manga vol.2, the one with Kodachi. I laughed so hard on that one that I had to keep coming back for more.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

catalyst
140th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Thu 2 Mar 12:41post reply

Hope I'm not too late but my first real favorite anime had to be the Guyver Series. I grew up on Fist of the north star and Vampire Hunter D as well but it didn't dwell on me as much as the Guyver Series did. I Use to find myself in elementary school humming the theme song to myself and having the teacher shush me for making noise lol. I do want to see the new remake of the guyver series that came out not to long ago.

As for fist of the north star I need to collect that as well. I hope the recent movies coming out in Japan will be pretty good.

Catalyst jukebox ::kicks:: - Etro Anime: "Endless"

Holiday
2542th Post

"Re(2):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Thu 2 Mar 14:14post reply

Hmm, the first might have been Kimba the White Lion, but I really really liked Aoi Blink (Blue Blink). Travel through dimensions on your interstellar blue animal friend! Great stuff. Even the episode titles sound great.

gorgeous
96th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Thu 2 Mar 15:02post reply

The only anime I ever liked was the naked one.

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Fri 3 Mar 15:18post reply

Given that the only anime I ever liked were Slayers/Slayers Next, Excel Saga, and Azumanga Daioh, I'd have to go with Slayers as the first to be my favorite.

Genjuro
636th Post

"Re(1):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 4 Mar 00:16post reply

I guess i'd have to say Dragon Ball as well. But i was too young back then. But it doesn't count cause i didn't know the whole concept of "anime".So.. The first one that got me really interested in anime was urouni Kenshin that got aired for some very weird reason on tv at 7 in the morning.That was in highschool.

Genjuro
637th Post

"Re(3):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 4 Mar 00:23post reply

quote:

Why are there greek in your sig? explain yourself!

i thought i was the only member from greece on the board.just curious..but you can't be from greece.Saint seiya never aired here.i think.

The Droogo
236th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Fri 17 Mar 08:22post reply

quote:
Sailor Moon was mine.

It was mine too, and also Samurai X
cheers!

Some people never go crazy
what truly horrible life they must lead
Charles Bukowski.

Shooo-rook
112th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Fri 17 Mar 12:01post reply

quote:
Sailor Moon was mine.

It was mine too, and also Samurai X
cheers!

Charles Bukowski is the greatest...
circa Poetry in Motion

Are you slave to the blade?

kofoguz
307th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Fri 17 Mar 19:09post reply

Sailor Moon was my first favourite along with Dragonball. Their first episodes start same day in the same channel, in Türkiye. The channel was showing first Sailor Moon then Dragonball.

Before that my older brothers watch Voltran, Transformers, and all of the "Space", "Robot War" themed animes. My older sisters were watching a serie named "Şeker Kız Candy"(sweet girl candy),and all of the other "girl" animes.
My other favs are Pokemon, Heidi (if that counts) and Smurfs (same here).

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I fell in LOVE with Carmen Sandiego(?)

End of Spoiler

And finally, awkward enough Clementine is a LEGEND in Türkiye. Seriously.

Moriya
53th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):What's your first real favorite anime?" , posted Sat 18 Mar 00:22post reply

quote:

Why are there greek in your sig? explain yourself!

i thought i was the only member from greece on the board.just curious..but you can't be from greece.Saint seiya never aired here.i think.

I'm not from Greece, I'm just a poser.

κατά τον δαίμονα εαυτού.

Evenor
330th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Türkiye Moon" , posted Sat 18 Mar 05:27post reply

quote:
Sailor Moon was my first favourite along with Dragonball. Their first episodes start same day in the same channel, in Türkiye. The channel was showing first Sailor Moon then Dragonball.

Before that my older brothers watch Voltran, Transformers, and all of the "Space", "Robot War" themed animes. My older sisters were watching a serie named "Şeker Kız Candy"(sweet girl candy),and all of the other "girl" animes.
My other favs are Pokemon, Heidi (if that counts) and Smurfs (same here).

And finally, awkward enough Clementine is a LEGEND in Türkiye. Seriously.

Just curious:
How was the translation to Turkish of sailor moon?

Was usagi still Usagi? or more like tavşan?

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

kofoguz
310th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Türkiye Moon" , posted Sat 18 Mar 17:53:post reply

quote:
Just curious:
How was the translation to Turkish of sailor moon?

Was usagi still Usagi? or more like tavşan?

Well when it first shown on ATV channel they mostly original name. But in the TRT (turkish radio and television) It called "Ay Savaşçısı" ( Moon Warrior is direct translation of "ay savaşçısı" )

And for Usagi in turkish channels they mostly dont change the original names, so Usagi was Usagi. Calling it "Tavşan" would be extra ridiculous cause there isn't such name as "tavşan". "Tavşan" means "rabbit" and its not a useable person name. So they mostly stick with the original names. In pokemon they choose "Ash 'Catchem' over the japanese name.

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Sat 18 Mar 18:01]