So, no price drop for current-gen systems? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1782 Views )

OmegaDog
1581th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"So, no price drop for current-gen systems?" , posted Wed 22 Feb 09:03:post reply

So yeah -- there's a local Sam Goody closing up shop. Recently, they had a slimline PS2 there at 20% off, and I was considering it since I didn't yet have a PS2 -- though, being that I wanted to save a bit of money, considering that a game console wasn't a priority for me, and knowing that the PS3 would eventually roll around (so that I can ignore it, with its price tag, and go straight for the PS2 at that future point), I held off on it. Someone else picked it up after a while, and I didn't feel too bad.

Though, I was remembering that, when the XBox 360 came out, there was no drop in the price of the regular XBox. And that was $400, for a system that a gamer would want.

There's speculation that the PS3 could be priced even higher -- whether that'll actually be true, or whether Chris Morris's call on a fake is accurate. Either way, next to a system that's even $400, Sony might try to market its PS2 as being comparative peanuts at $150.

As such -- it's probably safe to assume that, in this round of next-gen consoles, the current-gen ones aren't gonna drop in price, are they? Probably not even the GameCube -- if the core of the Revolution isn't purportedly that much meatier (even if there's speculation that the visual differences between the graphics of the Revolution and other consoles will be minimal), and if most of the cost of the Revolution will be for the controllers anyway. (With all the features of the Revolution controllers, and with the cost of basic controllers for other systems not being that cheap, I imagine the Revolution controllers aren't going to be too cheap either.)

"So... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY!" || CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Wed 22 Feb 09:10]

Replies:

OYashiroForever
852th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):So, no price drop for current-gen syste" , posted Wed 22 Feb 09:14post reply

I suspect we'll get a price drop for the PS2 + Xbox at E3. It's easier to justify not doing it when the next-gen systems are so ridiculously expensive, but demand for current-gen is going to plummet within the next year and they're gonna have to clear out remaining stock.

What are they these days? Still $150? I suspect both will be $130 post-E3.

exodus
3279th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):So, no price drop for current-gen syste" , posted Wed 22 Feb 09:21post reply

there will not be an Xbox price drop. They'll just make more games compatible with 360. They still lose money on every Xbox they sell, and have basically stopped making them. There won't be a drop unless retailers do it themselves.

For PS2, not til the PS3 comes out. If they didn't drop it when the 360 game out, I don't think they will. Those are just my two cents.

Ishmael
2397th Post

"Re(3):So, no price drop for current-gen syste" , posted Thu 23 Feb 05:44post reply

My thought was that a price drop would hit around E3 as well. Brandon's thoughts about the matter, however, are convincing. I didn't realize that MS is still losing money on XBox consoles. While I'm sure there will be sales by retailers once demand for the XBox starts to slacken it is possible there won't be a company declared drop. Eh, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):So, no price drop for current-gen syste" , posted Thu 23 Feb 07:44post reply

I have to respectfully disagree with Brandon here. I think we'll see a price drop for both systems around or at E3. It makes sense for Sony to drop the PS2 price now to keep Xbox 360 sales in check as availability of Microsoft's new console rises to meet demand. An Xbox price drop is less certain (as Brandon mentioned, Microsoft's no longer manufacturing new Xbox units), but I think Microsoft will [reluctantly] drop the MSRP to appease retailers and finish clearing out remaining stock.

I'm unsure what Nintendo plans to do with the GameCube, however. With Zelda delayed yet again, what can they bundle with the 'Cube this spring?

Pollyanna
1657th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):So, no price drop for current-gen syste" , posted Thu 23 Feb 07:55post reply

Well, I wouldn't recommend holding off on buying a system because of a potential price drop, simply because I don't think it's likely that they'll drop more than $50.

I mean, if you only make $5 a week for taking out the trash each Monday, Wednesday and Friday, then that's a different story, but otherwise, I don't think waiting for a potentially insignificant price drop that may never come is worth it.

exodus
3287th Post

"Re(5):So, no price drop for current-gen syste" , posted Thu 23 Feb 08:51post reply

anything's possible...and microsoft has denied allogations that they'd stopped making regular xboxes, sooooo.

who knows!? I agree with polly though. If you want one, might as well get it. If you want it for less, get it used, or trade some crap in.

KTallguy
832th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):So, no price drop for current-gen syste" , posted Thu 23 Feb 13:13post reply

I'd get an X-box for Steel Battalion and NGBlack. =) If it was 50$ !

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Baines
150th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):So, no price drop for current-gen syste" , posted Thu 23 Feb 17:59post reply

quote:
anything's possible...and microsoft has denied allogations that they'd stopped making regular xboxes, sooooo.

360 doesn't offer backwards compatibility for most games, so it would be a kick in the teeth to drop the original Xbox too soon. Not only might it annoy gamers, but it might annoy companies that didn't feel it worth it to shift late games to the 360.

Which doesn't mean Microsoft wouldn't do it anyway, to try to "force" the platform shift...

Ammadeau
1493th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(7):So, no price drop for current-gen syste" , posted Thu 23 Feb 18:35post reply

...you waited his long for a PS2? I only bought one when the Sakura Taisen Remake came out and I thought I held off a long time. Right now you can get a whole bunch of good games for it for $10, so you'll be saving money anyway.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.