Good non-gamer games? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1988 Views )

shin ramberk
237th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Frequent Customer

"Good non-gamer games?" , posted Sun 19 Feb 18:35post reply

Hey all,

So I'm looking for some good non-gamer games to play with my non-gamer friends. I have a GC and I'm considering getting a PS2.

I already have Mario Party 7 and I just bought today Viewtiful Joe-Red Hot Rumble. I've never played VJ but it looks like it could be a non-gamer friendly game. I'm also gonna get Rogue Squadron 3 (because of its two-player cooperative mode) and RE4. My bf liked RE Zero and RE2 for the GC so I think he'll love RE4 even more. He also liked RS2 so, it'll be fun playing co-op together on it. I wonder if there are other good co-op games out there that are not too difficult or boring.

Anyhow, I'm looking for more non-gamer friendly games. I'm getting sick of Mario Party 7! (Although it is the absolutely best MP game I've ever played). The multi-modes and board types on this game totally kick ass.

I'm also considering buying a PS2 to play Guitar Hero. I love music and I love rock music-- so this looks like a perfect match for me. I'm also considering Kareoke Revolution although I might not care for a lot of the songs on the game. What do you guys think of GH and KR?

Well, all suggestions are welcome. And yes, I've finally become a non-gamer even though I regularly attend 3S tournies at my college.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Replies:

Time Mage
2325th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Sun 19 Feb 19:21post reply

Hm, from GC I'd recommend you Super Smash Bros Melee,, which is gret when playing more than two people, and anyone can pick it and play without many problems.

Shooo-rook
78th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Mon 20 Feb 01:32post reply

quote:
Hm, from GC I'd recommend you Super Smash Bros Melee,, which is gret when playing more than two people, and anyone can pick it and play without many problems.

Long hours of my life has been spent playing SSBM... Good non-gamer game for GC- Wario Ware touched, and Mario Kart Double Dashers... I haven't played Wario Ware Single player, but the single player for Mario Kart isn't that good... Its all about the MP experience... Also I am considering purchasing Guitar Hero at a local video game store... The thought of it and all that it entails sounds good. Especially the feature when you tilt the guitar and you gain "Star Power". It got a good/excellent review on gamespot...
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/puzzle/guitarhero/review.html?q=guitar%20hero

Are you slave to the blade?

Maou
789th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Mon 20 Feb 05:32post reply

If ya end up getting a PS2, then the answer is KATAMARI~ for sure. People watch it mesmerized, and of course it's simple, clever fun. I'd venture Colossus, too, without having played it, though I'm dying to.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

shooo-rook
79th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Mon 20 Feb 05:56post reply

quote:
If ya end up getting a PS2, then the answer is KATAMARI~ for sure. People watch it mesmerized, and of course it's simple, clever fun. I'd venture Colossus, too, without having played it, though I'm dying to.

I'd Like to play We love Katamari... heard the soundtrack is not as good as the first one though... You can dance with the prince as well?

Variable Savior
341th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Mon 20 Feb 07:48post reply

I second the recommendation of Warioware Inc: Mega Party Game$. It's fun and accessible - plus it has some interesting multiplayer modes. And it's a steal at $20.00.

Blood marks heaven's path

Baines
149th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Mon 20 Feb 07:58post reply

Red Hot Rumble is about as new-gamer unfriendly as a melee game can get. Unless you are hyperactive, or sit down with it for a while, you won't adjust to the chaotic nature of the game. Even then, the action can get hard to follow when you are playing 3 or 4 player on certain stages.

Super Smash Bros Melee is the obvious choice. It is a well polished game, and playable at pretty much any skill level. If anyone complains about Jigglypuff, then teach them to hold the block button. :p If someone complains about an item being too cheap, turn it off. (There are a few I have turned off by default, when I play using items at all.) If someone complains about a stage, don't play it and disable it from random select. (Everyone got to pick a stage or two to turn off, either for finding them hard to play or finding they interfered too much with the actual melee part of the game.) Someone dies faster than the rest, play timed instead of stock. Someone feels they are picked on, (unlock and) turn on score display.

While Urban Reign might not be that great, the multiplayer battle can be okay. Particularly before people learn to abuse the reversal system. (Use an Action Replay to unlock everything though.)

For a casual FPS crowd, try a shooter like Timesplitters 2 or Future Perfect.

Depending on the group or method of play, co-op Dynasty Warriors can be entertaining.

Super Monkey Ball minigames might have their place. We play a bit of Monkey Japanese 9-Ball every now and then. Before that was Monkey Bowling. Unfortunately, it is easy to argue the minigames aren't polished or formed enough to maintain interest. (And a few are just junk, like Monkey Soccer.)

Bomberman is an option.

Evenor
307th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Mon 20 Feb 09:47post reply

Alien Hominid is merciless, but its a fun 2p game. (same goes for metal slug )

Also, the Mario Party series shouldn't be meddled with. I've seen it break up families. It doesnt seem so hazardous, but losing all your coins and stars can do serious damage to brain and ego.

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Mav
134th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Mon 20 Feb 11:05post reply

quote:
Alien Hominid is merciless, but its a fun 2p game.

It's additionally worth tracking down the necessary devices for Alien Hominid's 4-player "PDA game". 200 levels of simplistic bliss that becomes hilariously complicated as multiple players commit to tackling the puzzles or just being an asshole for kicks. I like to refer to playing it as a social experiment.
Example: Boats used to cross otherwise unpassable bodies of water can only contain two people. The first person in said boat controls its direction. As Captain, do you take another with you? Help everyone across? Gleefully offer a ride, then shove off as they plummet into the briny depths? Selfishly pilot the only boat to the other shore and leave it? BF Skinner would have a field day with the kinds of reactions you can get.

This past weekend has been one centered on Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks. Pretty crappy game as far as action games can go these days, but it was a blast with another person. It felt like the only game since the classic beat 'em ups where it was a game structured to be played cooperatively and not all by your lonesome self. Rediculous 100-hit combined combos are fun to work together.

I feel good multiplayer games are a dying breed, quickly working their way into cookie-cutter internet forms. With further encouragement to get all next-gen systems online capabilities, the days of mashing buttons while surrounded by actual humans may be drifting away.

sabo10
1338th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Mon 20 Feb 18:16post reply

Ibara

Kikkoken
1078th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Mon 20 Feb 20:37post reply

Wario Ware, Kuru Kururin Squash, Monkey Ball 1 & 2, SSBM, PacMan Vs, Mario Kart, Donkey Konga, CapvsSnk2 on Easy Operation mode, Navy Trackers or even, with some practice, Hyrule Adventure.

Ishmael
2392th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Tue 21 Feb 02:15post reply

This is an obvious aside which I'm certain you already know, but don't forget to take along your boyfriend or anybody else you might be playing these games with when you go shopping. That way you're much more likely to come home with a game you both like. Anyway, I'm sure he'll like RE4; you get to carry fish around in an attache case. If you can't enjoy something like that you just don't know how to have fun.

shin ramberk
238th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Tue 21 Feb 03:40post reply

quote:
This is an obvious aside which I'm certain you already know, but don't forget to take along your boyfriend or anybody else you might be playing these games with when you go shopping. That way you're much more likely to come home with a game you both like. Anyway, I'm sure he'll like RE4; you get to carry fish around in an attache case. If you can't enjoy something like that you just don't know how to have fun.

We played Red Hot Rumble and RE4 last night. RHR was all right. I know I'll definitely like it and there's a possibility he might like it. It might be a little to complex and fast paced for him right now.

Afterwards we played RE4 and had a blast. I know you guys were raving about this game for months and I believed the hype but I was surprised how much fun it was. Now I want to find other good adventure games we can play together.

I'd like to teach him SF, but we'll see about that. My love for SF waxes and wanes.

Thank you all for your suggestions so far.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Pollyanna
1656th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Tue 21 Feb 09:18post reply

quote:

Also, the Mario Party series shouldn't be meddled with. I've seen it break up families. It doesnt seem so hazardous, but losing all your coins and stars can do serious damage to brain and ego.

NO KIDDING. I don't usually get angry at games. I only stomped my foot when I'd lose a level and make all my equipment unwearable in FFXI and I often just laugh at the catastrophic disasters that occur so frequently in Monster Hunter...but Mario Party...oh nooo.

That game BREEDS HATE. Every time I play I think "now, it's just a game. I got angry for no good reason last time, but this time, I won't be so childish." But no...it makes me hate my friends every time.

It's all Gaia Master now.

Variable Savior
342th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Tue 21 Feb 10:39post reply

quote:

Now that I think about it, this is probably why MP hasn't been made into an online game. Can you imagine the racist vulgarities 12-year olds would spew after getting screwed by the Miracle Space??

Blood marks heaven's path

Shooo-rook
80th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Tue 21 Feb 13:39post reply

quote:
Alien Hominid is merciless, but its a fun 2p game. (same goes for metal slug )

We beat Alien Hominid Before School Started right??? I loved that buff alien ... reminded me of an extra terrestrial version of Arnold Schwarzenegger in (any movie which he has guns in it).

gorgeous
91th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Good non-gamer games?" , posted Wed 22 Feb 18:10post reply

Breath of Fire V Dragon Quarter is a great RPG for people who've never played an RPG before.

. . . or at least, it would have been if it had been released in 1995 or so on Super Famicom.

It's not even an RPG so much as one giant logic puzzle.

It's also kind of hard.

Goodnight.