PSP growing rather more desireable... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2560 Views )

Salamande
17th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Customer

"PSP growing rather more desireable..." , posted Sat 18 Feb 11:54:post reply

Gametrailers.com suddenly has a bunch of new Capcom vids up (new to me, at least). There were a couple PSP titles I hadn't heard anything about:

Power Stone Collection is instantly on my must by list, especially if it has online multiplayer (what an underrated series).

I'm a little baffled by Street Fighter Alpha Anthology with SFA Max just released, although throwing in Gem Fighter Mini Mix was a cool touch...we used to have a blast playing that in the arcade, believe it or not. But it's starting to remind me of the days when Capcom couldn't count to 3. The 2D fighting world is long overdue for a renaissance. Guilty Gear was a welcome foot in the ass, but we need something more.

Mega Man: Powered Up, Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts, and Monster Hunter: Freedom are all looking damn good. And with Tekken: Dark Resurrection on the way, maybe I can use my PSP for more than Lumines, MP3s and ripped Battlestar Galactica eps.

By the way, check out the new Okami vid, and take note of the new weapons and battle mechanics. Christ, I can't wait for that game.

No! YOU get the ropes you sonovabitch!
-- Joanne Follett

[this message was edited by Salamande on Sat 18 Feb 15:37]

Replies:

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):PSP growing rather more desireable..." , posted Sat 18 Feb 13:51post reply

quote:
Gametrailers.com suddenly has a bunch of new Capcom vids up (new to me, at least). There were a couple PSP titles I hadn't heard anything about: ... I'm a little baffled by Street Fighter Alpha Anthology with SFA Max just released, although throwing in Gem Fighter Mini Mix was a cool touch...
Isn't Alpha Anthology a PS2 title?

Burning Ranger
1374th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):PSP growing rather more desireable..." , posted Sat 18 Feb 14:18post reply

Will Powerstone Collection have an online component? Powerstone not withstanding, there are a few games that make the PSP alluring, especially the upcoming Gradius collection.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

Salamande
16th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):PSP growing rather more desireable..." , posted Sat 18 Feb 15:37post reply

quote:
Isn't Alpha Anthology a PS2 title?

You're quite right, and I stand corrected. That makes a little more sense, then. It's still kind of shameful for them to be running back to that rapidly-drying well so often, though.

Admittedly, it's not just Capcom. I look at the newest KOF game, and I'm just not excited anymore. I suppose the hardcore will enjoy it, but it seems like they're just going through the motions, tweaking these systems, adding those characters, changing the front end and menu graphics, and generally playing the fans like violins. It's a total path of least resistance.

When the first blurry shots of Street Fighter III were published in the game mags of yesteryear, people were electrified. We'd waited so long for something new. And when we saw it in motion...wow. This is the kind of excietement that the genre needs, or it's going to become as marginalized as the scrolling shooter: there'll always be a small, loyal core of fans, but those on the outside looking in will wonder what all the fuss was about.

The arcade scene is dying fast (other than DDR); there's no time to screw around.

-- Joanne Follett

Salamande
17th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):PSP growing rather more desireable..." , posted Sat 18 Feb 16:09post reply

quote:
Will Powerstone Collection have an online component? Powerstone not withstanding, there are a few games that make the PSP alluring, especially the upcoming Gradius collection.

I've no clue. Frankly, this is the first I'd heard of the game.

Ah...evidently, Capcom's doing their "Gamer's Day" thing. That explains it. They also announced Capcom Puzzle World, which includes Super Puzzle Fighter II, Block Block, and Buster Bros. Collection. And Okami won't be released in the US until Fall 06. I expected as much, but...I shed a tear.

And yes, I'm really starting to appreciate the promise of the PSP. The promise, because it's not quite there yet. The stuff coming down the pipe gives me hope, though. Developers are finally starting to hit all the major genres with high quality titles, which is a good thing.

I think that once there's a slam-bang, must-have RPG or strategy game, something that will glue faces to the screen for long periods and get people engaged, yet is easy to walk away from in the middle of things, then the PSP will start to gain a bit more traction. Then again, the DS Lite might just sweep away all opposition like an Arrakis sandstorm. It remains to be seen.

-- Joanne Follett

Pollyanna
1655th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):PSP growing rather more desireable..." , posted Sat 18 Feb 17:09post reply

quote:

The arcade scene is dying fast (other than DDR); there's no time to screw around.

Well, and that's just in America. Most arcades in Tokyo don't even have DDR.

Also, I can't be excited about Monster Hunter on PSP because you can't play it online. That's a pretty huge shortcoming.

Undead Fred
2650th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):PSP growing rather more desireable..." , posted Sat 18 Feb 20:14post reply

In other news, there's going to be a Katamari for the PSP in March.

Count Hihihi
41th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):PSP growing rather more desireable..." , posted Sat 18 Feb 22:11post reply

I'm afraid I might have to get a pissypee now, for Tekken alone.

"Dont bother. Your gonna be hammered by some git hammering buttons as Horwang or Christy anyway." - RR

Salamande
18th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):PSP growing rather more desireable..." , posted Sun 19 Feb 03:00post reply

quote:

Also, I can't be excited about Monster Hunter on PSP because you can't play it online. That's a pretty huge shortcoming.

Wow, really? Isn't that...kind of the point of Monster Hunter? It almost seems like devs have been afraid to touch infrastructure mode.

quote:
In other news, there's going to be a Katamari for the PSP in March.

If the control is up to snuff, this is going to be HUEG huge.

-- Joanne Follett

Burning Ranger
1375th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"I almost had a reason to buy a PSP..." , posted Sun 19 Feb 04:08post reply

...when I found out Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast was being released for it. Then I found out that there will be a PS2 and an Xbox version! So, yeah, I think I'll stay with the console version.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

Undead Fred
2651th Post

"Re(5):PSP growing rather more desireable..." , posted Sun 19 Feb 06:00post reply

quote:

Yeah, I've been wondering how the controls will work without the dual analog sticks too... I'm wondering if you'll use the d-pad and buttons as sort of stand-in dual analogs?

JLG
119th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):PSP growing rather more desireable..." , posted Sun 19 Feb 13:40post reply

quote:
Yeah, I've been wondering how the controls will work without the dual analog sticks too... I'm wondering if you'll use the d-pad and buttons as sort of stand-in dual analogs?

That's it, according 1up. It makes sense on a portable.

LJ - DA - Flickr

Undead Fred
2652th Post

"Re(7):PSP growing rather more desireable..." , posted Sun 19 Feb 17:15post reply

quote:
That's it, according 1up. It makes sense on a portable.

Okay, that sounds good. The only thing I could see getting tricky is trying to do a dash with that control setup.

Radish
3142th Post

"Re(5):PSP growing rather more desireable..." , posted Fri 24 Feb 23:21:post reply

quote:

Wow, really? Isn't that...kind of the point of Monster Hunter? It almost seems like devs have been afraid to touch infrastructure mode.

The only way you can describe Capcom's online strategy is purely retarded so I'm not really surprised. I think they are hoping most people don't figure out it's offline only until after they buy it.

I've been playing my PSP a lot lately due to Breath of Fire 3, DJ Portable Max and Tales. Too bad none of those are actual American releases but as long as they play I don't really care.

[this message was edited by Radish on Fri 24 Feb 23:22]

gorgeous
93th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):PSP growing rather more desireable..." , posted Mon 27 Feb 12:57post reply

quote:

So you play it with your friends! You go to your favorite family restaurant and get some glasses of Coke and sit there playing it! Like in Japan!

. . .

Though I guess you may not do that where you are.

Also, all this talk in internet-land or wherever about how Sony and developers are "afraid to touch infrastructure mode" is kind of a little rash. Think about it this way -- would you want to play Monster Hunter Portable online with no chat interface? You think their infrastructure can handle voice chat?

It's tricky as HELL to get an online game where communication is necessary onto PSP and still keep it fun or reasonable. Games like Mario Kart are flowering on DS because you only play them with people you know. Animal Crossing works because it has built-in chat, and chat that uses the stylus and the bottom screen, though lord knows that's slow as hell.

We're easily a generation (or even two!) away from a portable system able to handle a (at least) PS2-quality online RPG.

So yeah, for now, you play the game because it's fun. If you don't think Monster Hunter is fun if it's not online, you're obviously playing it wrong! The grace of the "mutliplayer" mode in modern portable RPGs is that you use the same character you use in single-player. You play the game single-player when you're alone, and multiplayer when you're with your friends. The Japanese, at least, have come to terms with this and respected it, hence Monster Hunter P selling so well. They will respect it again, when Children of Mana (which has an awesome philosophy when it comes to multiplayer structure) comes out this week.

Also, did you know that Monster Hunter 2 for PS2 (which IS online) allows you to connect your PSP to your PS2 via USB and use your Memory Stick data to play as the same character? So . . . wrap your imagination around that for a minute, and then see why the PSP version, even if you NEVER play it multiplayer, is worth caring about.

Yes!

Pollyanna
1658th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):PSP growing rather more desireable..." , posted Mon 27 Feb 14:22post reply

quote:

Also, did you know that Monster Hunter 2 for PS2 (which IS online) allows you to connect your PSP to your PS2 via USB and use your Memory Stick data to play as the same character? So . . . wrap your imagination around that for a minute, and then see why the PSP version, even if you NEVER play it multiplayer, is worth caring about.

Yes!

Connecting the PSP only allows you to unlock different pieces of equipment/townspeople/pig costumes quicker and gives you access a variant of a dragon exclusive to the PSP version.

While your point still remains to an extent, and I think this is a good use of connectivity, it's more of a bonus for people who love Monster Hunter than a legitimate reason to purchase both.

If MHP had a better offline mode, it would be more worth it, but it's identical to MHG's, which is bare-bones in comparison to what you can do online. MH/G made it clear that online was the focus by providing a large amount of content unavailable to offline mode.

However, MH2 has a much improved, tremendously fun offline mode. You're still missing out on three fantastic-looking boss fights (and consequently some equipment), but it gives you a good 75-100 hours of FUN things to do, with 5 times the options you have in MHG/MHP. I've been having a (obsessive compulsive) blast with it.

Also, what prevents MHP from having the same chat interface as the original? Fewer buttons? I've played many hours of MH online with people who don't have keyboards. While I admit that I prefer more chatty companions, you're usually far too busy to do much chatting, and can express everything you need with numbers, abbreviations and preprogrammed dialogue. Not having a keyboard may reduce the fun, but it by no means makes it not worth the effort.