Rival School comic by Udon - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5788 Views )

Digitalboy
280th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Copper Customer

"Rival School comic by Udon" , posted Thu 16 Feb 15:38:post reply

In case if anyone had missed this. There is too much negative feedback on the art.

I rather like the style that "Reyyy" uses.

EDIT: Udon Comics Support Group

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

[this message was edited by Digitalboy on Thu 16 Feb 15:45]

Replies:

Juan
4236th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Rival School comic by Udon" , posted Thu 16 Feb 17:38post reply

It might not be the best, but I rather see a different style than someone trying to duplicate Joe Mad or Capcom artwork.

quote:
In case if anyone had missed this. There is too much negative feedback on the art.

I rather like the style that "Reyyy" uses.

EDIT: Udon Comics Support Group

crazymike
1206th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Rival School comic by Udon" , posted Thu 16 Feb 23:16post reply

I think it is fine. Everybody in the industry wants to ripoff the same style and make every comic on the market consistent but this one stands out.

However what I do question is why they are creating a Rival Schools comic in the first place because its not exactly one of Capcom's most well-known or loved franchises?

Ishmael
2387th Post

"Re(3):Rival School comic by Udon" , posted Fri 17 Feb 00:19post reply

The problem for me is that Edayan did, what, 90% of the RS art? It's not that I want an adaptation that is chained to his character designs but since his look is what I associate with the game it takes a bit for me to get used to such a different style.

TiamatRoar
737th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Rival School comic by Udon" , posted Fri 17 Feb 05:18post reply

quote:
However what I do question is why they are creating a Rival Schools comic in the first place because its not exactly one of Capcom's most well-known or loved franchises?

That's possibly what happens when you base your business decisions on what members of a Capcom message board say about whether or not they'll buy a comic. I hope it doesn't come back to bite Udon in the butt too hard (because Udon comes across to me as a very... sincere group of people).

Undead Fred
2648th Post

"Re(2):Rival School comic by Udon" , posted Fri 17 Feb 06:34post reply

quote:
It might not be the best, but I rather see a different style than someone trying to duplicate Joe Mad or Capcom artwork.

The problem for me is that Edayan did, what, 90% of the RS art? It's not that I want an adaptation that is chained to his character designs but since his look is what I associate with the game it takes a bit for me to get used to such a different style.
I'm kind of stuck in the middle on this comic- I agree with Juan (it's kind of like how any current Looney Tunes crap HAS to be a knock-off of Chuck Jones' style), but at the same time I have that expectation that Ishmael had since just about everything I've seen for Rival School was Edayan's work... I guess if the art was a little better in this case I'd adapt to it easier?

Rid
7006th Post

"Re(2):Rival School comic by Udon" , posted Fri 17 Feb 07:26post reply

Well, the art looks like he's trying to imitate Pop Mhan style's if we get technical.

Digitalboy
281th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Rival School comic by Udon" , posted Fri 17 Feb 14:51:post reply

quote:
Well, the art looks like he's trying to imitate Pop Mhan style's if we get technical.

The first time that I saw Pop Mhan's artwork I thought of current Uncanny X-men's artist Chris Bachalo. Reyyy has a style of his own that is manga influenced fused with anything else. Here is Reyyy's own creation Sharknife.

EDIT.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

[this message was edited by Digitalboy on Fri 17 Feb 15:00]

HAYATO
586th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Rival School comic by Udon" , posted Fri 17 Feb 17:32post reply

Two words : UTTER CRAP

People so lacking of drawing skills should never be allowed to publish their works.

burning kyo
2405th Post

"Re(5):Rival School comic by Udon" , posted Fri 17 Feb 17:43post reply

quote:

People so lacking of drawing skills should never be allowed to publish their works.

LOL It's a little bit "raw", but I think the same :p

~ Flowers Blooming on the Moon Flowers Scattering on the Wind ~

Ikari Loona
123th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Rival School comic by Udon" , posted Sun 19 Feb 11:21post reply

quote:

He does have some pretty decent sketches at his site which seem more consistent with the style we're used to:

http://reyyy.com/comics/rivalschools/

At least I liked his Batsu, Hayato and Akira in these, despite not liking the style he used for the short stories in the SF comics (I don't think the actual RS comic got here yet, so I can't comment on any differences there).

I'll probably be buying anyway, since I like the work Udon's doing on SF, and I feel like encouraging the making of comics based on fighting games - I never evn played something in the RS series, but if a title like this makes, the possibility that some far-off day Udon may bother to get the rights to work on SNK stuff seems just a bit more likely, and that's something I'd really like to see...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

JLG
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Rival School comic by Udon" , posted Sun 19 Feb 13:25post reply

Reyyy's art is just different, is all. Some of it may be off, but Sharknife shows he can pull off action/fighting sequences pretty well. Rival Schools is a good fit for him, I think.

Really, I'm just happy for anything that means more Akira and Sakura.

LJ - DA - Flickr

crazymike
1210th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Rival School comic by Udon" , posted Tue 21 Feb 03:33post reply

quote:

Well maybe first we should first start with pop stars like Ashley Simpson not being able to record albums or "stars" like Jessica Alba not being able to make movies.

HAYATO
587th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Rival School comic by Udon" , posted Tue 21 Feb 06:09post reply

quote:

Well maybe first we should first start with pop stars like Ashley Simpson not being able to record albums or "stars" like Jessica Alba not being able to make movies.

Nah, bashing this handicapped artist seems easier and more entertaining...plus Jessica Alba's looks are far better than those of that dull ink blotch he calls Sakura...

KumagaiToshiro
104th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Rival School comic by Udon" , posted Fri 24 Feb 05:13post reply

Well, if the actual book's artwork looks like the sketches on Reyyy's site, the book will be worth picking up. The little one-shots in the SF book made my eyes hurt.