Final fight streetwise official website - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (11895 Views )

catalyst
135th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Regular Customer

"Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sat 11 Feb 13:37post reply

I know alot of you guys are pretty punctual about games, and definately aren't taking a liking to Final fight streetwise but heres the official site if you guys are interested

http://ww2.capcom.com/finalfight/main.html

Enjoy.

Catalyst jukebox ::kicks:: - Etro Anime: "Endless"

Replies:

crazymike
1204th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sat 11 Feb 14:55:post reply

I'll give it a chance because I noticed a Rza/MF doom track on the official site. Either way though I wish it was more cartoony and over the top like the original.

*edit* WTF, Guy has fallen into the criminal underworld? Come on Capcom...if you are going to break canon at least make it a shock where Guy ends up being the boss of the game when you thought he was working with you for good all along.

[this message was edited by crazymike on Sat 11 Feb 15:00]

catalyst
137th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sat 11 Feb 15:05:post reply

quote:
I'll give it a chance because I noticed a Rza/MF doom track on the official site. Either way though I wish it was more cartoony and over the top like the original.

*edit* WTF, Guy has fallen into the criminal underworld? Come on Capcom...if you are going to break canon at least make it a shock where Guy ends up being the boss of the game when you thought he was working with you for good all along.

I kinda like it, makes it seem like he did it more or less on accident since he screwed over Cody retconning a few things in the sf and FF timeline. Possibly it will give an opening or explanation on what happened to Jessica Hagger or something. Kinda makes guy realized what he done and just spiral downwards in some form of character evolution. It looks like some of the screenshots ive seen on gamespot that your gonna fight him regardless supposedly.

edit: also, look it this way I believe in some videos you could see the back of Cody's shirt "Metro City Jail", thankfully in some sense or another they took into consideration that Cody went to jail and such rather than just taking it out and replacing it with something else. An effort shown nonetheless.

[this message was edited by catalyst on Sat 11 Feb 15:12]

Spoon
1294th Post

"Re(3):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sat 11 Feb 15:14post reply

"breaking canon"???

Capcom owns Final Fight.
They can do whatever they want with it.
And as SFA showed, doing things like throwing Cody into jail was an excellent idea.

TiamatRoar
737th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sun 12 Feb 00:49:post reply

I'm under the impression that they're basing most of their 'canon' off of Final Fight Revenge, given that this is the same team that made it. "Cody's crime" mentioned in Guy's profile and Guy going bad seem to be in line with FFRevenge's endings for those two...

[this message was edited by TiamatRoar on Sun 12 Feb 00:50]

Bootation
512th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sun 12 Feb 01:45post reply

quote:
I'm under the impression that they're basing most of their 'canon' off of Final Fight Revenge, given that this is the same team that made it. "Cody's crime" mentioned in Guy's profile and Guy going bad seem to be in line with FFRevenge's endings for those two...

This is obviously the work of capcom of AMERICA to capitalize on the recent street thug 50 cent movement. If you know anything about Guy his whole style of martial art is about justice and killing evil.

Thats why he looks like he has such a stick up his ass all the time. Guy rules. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and DON't Buy this game. Don't support crappy software so they can keep making more of it.

Just one guys opnion.

Pretty please check out my neato sweet awesome webpage

Evenor
298th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sun 12 Feb 01:53post reply

To even consider this game acceptable they MUST include the tranny character Poison.

Without him/herm the game will go nowhere.

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Guillaume
22th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sun 12 Feb 02:25post reply

quote:
To even consider this game acceptable they MUST include the tranny character Poison.

Problem is, if they effectively follow FFR, Cody and Poison have had a love affair, and Poison is a she.

Oh, they just have to say she's post-op; that would add an interesting twist to Cody.

crazymike
1204th Post

"Re(3):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sun 12 Feb 05:25post reply

quote:

This is obviously the work of capcom of AMERICA to capitalize on the recent street thug 50 cent movement. If you know anything about Guy his whole style of martial art is about justice and killing evil.

Don't know whether it was Capcom of Japan or USA who wrote it but my point stands. Guy's character wouldn't just become evil all of a sudden, its not in his nature.

Tai-Pan
77th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sun 12 Feb 05:45post reply

Whatever. Im looking forward to this game< it seems they are doing a good effort.

hayaku!!

Baines
148th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sun 12 Feb 05:57post reply

quote:
And as SFA showed, doing things like throwing Cody into jail was an excellent idea.

So "excellent" is a new slang word for "awful"?

Jailbird Cody's design in SFA3 was that of a joke character, akin to R. Mika and what they did to Blanka.

As others have said, Guy going evil the way Streetwise wants doesn't really fit his character.

It certainly fits the story and character design of Final Fight Revenge, but when did that become a good thing? (Not that Capcom of Japan has been doing so hot either.)

Korigama
82th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sun 12 Feb 07:23post reply

Garbage, just like every other current-gen beat-em'up (and before anyone says it, screw The Warriors and Rockstar).

Ishmael
2382th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sun 12 Feb 07:32post reply

quote:
As others have said, Guy going evil the way Streetwise wants doesn't really fit his character.

But maybe Guy is a good gang leader and is now the Capcom equivalent of Dolemite.

CharlesProphony
20th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sun 12 Feb 07:54post reply

When I had a glimpse of the images and looked at the thumbnail of the guy shot, I went 'WTF?'... I thought it was some burn scar on his skin... "OMG! the story became so deep to have a character with those type of scars and still trying to fight and so?" well, a bad texture can make some minds very creative...

just improving my english...

simonbelmont
73th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sun 12 Feb 10:11post reply

quote:

But maybe Guy is a good gang leader and is now the Capcom equivalent of Dolemite.

Would that make Poison 'Queen Bee' and Belger 'Willie Green?'

pointman_4000
30th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(7):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sun 12 Feb 16:46post reply

I've been hearing from fairly reliable sources that FFS is actually quite good.

[-OO]----///////////////////

simonbelmont
74th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(8):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sun 12 Feb 20:01post reply

quote:
I've been hearing from fairly reliable sources that FFS is actually quite good.

I trust that it will be. I know I'm going to give it a try. Who cares if it's not canon? Pretend it's a fucking dreammatch if you like. I'm just happy that Capcom is attempting to revive the Final Fight series.

Maese Spt
167th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Final fight streetwise official website" , posted Sun 12 Feb 21:13post reply

quote:
I'm just happy that Capcom is attempting to revive the Final Fight series.

I'd really, really like to say the same... But I feel Capcom has taken the wrong direction. I mean, I don't give a damn about the plot (the original FFs were already ludiocrous beyond redemption, to begin with) being canon or not, it's just I don't like the way this new FF looks.

I know it would be foolish to ask for a 2D sequel nowadays, but I truly believe the transition to 3D could have been much more, let's say, "interesting". Now, visually speaking, my most beloved beat'em up saga has become just a dull GTA clone. Maybe it would be awesomely fun to play, but with such uninspiring visuals I don't feel like giving it a try. Not at all.

"At his coming the gods themselves are put to flight and the Buddhas vanish"

Bootation
513th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):Final fight streetwise official websit" , posted Mon 13 Feb 02:01post reply

quote:
I'm just happy that Capcom is attempting to revive the Final Fight series.

I'd really, really like to say the same... But I feel Capcom has taken the wrong direction. I mean, I don't give a damn about the plot (the original FFs were already ludiocrous beyond redemption, to begin with) being canon or not, it's just I don't like the way this new FF looks.

I know it would be foolish to ask for a 2D sequel nowadays, but I truly believe the transition to 3D could have been much more, let's say, "interesting". Now, visually speaking, my most beloved beat'em up saga has become just a dull GTA clone. Maybe it would be awesomely fun to play, but with such uninspiring visuals I don't feel like giving it a try. Not at all.

I read you gain abilities and point by getting "respect" by gang members. I'm sorry but getting respect out of gang members doesn't appeal to me. Thats why the original Final Fight was so cool, it was about kicking fucking gang members teeth in, then doing a flying bodyslam into the other gang members. EEYYAAH. Fuck this game son. Haggar would be rolling over in his grave.

catalyst
138th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Final fight streetwise official websit" , posted Mon 13 Feb 02:38:post reply

quote:
it's just I don't like the way this new FF looks.

Everyone can clearly agree with that cause simply majority of most people on this board and probably on other boards have a few liking and not one as well towards that rap and hip hop feel ala gangsta music or scene populated by 50 cent [ Personally I think that this has been around for a while just people haven't paid much attention to it ].

But I mean look at this way, give or take the original final fight that came out was late 80s to 90s if I'm wrong, but final fight was heavily biting off the Mad Max Motorcycle gang like look with a few exceptations towards original characters like Sodom, Rolento. Same with Double Dragon.

I'm not gonna be complaining about this cause I simply don't care and just happy a brawler is back and trying to do something to come alive rather than just taking the original and just making it a "brawler". Simply the genre really is dead and it has to change in some form or fashion to pull people back in the beat em up genre. If this game was a sequel under everyones eyes as just a punch kick button nothing changed and just a flat out new character called Kyle Travers... I'd certainly find that boring, lazy and uninspired. But thats my opinion.

[this message was edited by catalyst on Mon 13 Feb 02:38]

crazymike
1205th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 13 Feb 02:39post reply

quote:

I read you gain abilities and point by getting "respect" by gang members. I'm sorry but getting respect out of gang members doesn't appeal to me. Thats why the original Final Fight was so cool, it was about kicking fucking gang members teeth in, then doing a flying bodyslam into the other gang members. EEYYAAH. Fuck this game son. Haggar would be rolling over in his grave.

That is kind of funny. Instead of punishing criminals you try and get them to like you.

EddyT
535th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 13 Feb 05:12post reply

quote:

That is kind of funny. Instead of punishing criminals you try and get them to like you.

Love is the best strength.

Tai-Pan
79th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 13 Feb 05:26:post reply

quote:

Haggar is not dead for Gods sake; I mean, this is a new game, its something, it looks ok, it seems it plays well too, lets not be so picky about games, we are starting to sound like grandparents saying " oh the old stuff was so much better than this and that present crap ". I guess its never enough for some gamers, right? Capcom is just trying to revive something, and to do so they have to adapt it to the times, Listen, the original Final Fight looked and played according to 80's and early 90's fashion, design, culture, whatever. If years have passed, why should the characters, story, and looks of the new game look or feel like the "old times". Those years are gone.
Personally, I LOVE any old Capcom game, cause im kind of older and feel better with culture from the 80's and 90's, I hate the hip-hop-rap-crap, but thats whats happening now.
Im gonna give this game a good try, and respect Capcom for trying something new with this old game, whether we are talking about Capcom Japan or Capcom Chile.

hayaku!!

[this message was edited by Tai-Pan on Mon 13 Feb 05:29]

Bootation
514th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 13 Feb 08:02post reply

quote:

Haggar is not dead for Gods sake; I mean, this is a new game, its something, it looks ok, it seems it plays well too, lets not be so picky about games, we are starting to sound like grandparents saying " oh the old stuff was so much better than this and that present crap ". I guess its never enough for some gamers, right? Capcom is just trying to revive something, and to do so they have to adapt it to the times, Listen, the original Final Fight looked and played according to 80's and early 90's fashion, design, culture, whatever. If years have passed, why should the characters, story, and looks of the new game look or feel like the "old times". Those years are gone.
Personally, I LOVE any old Capcom game, cause im kind of older and feel better with culture from the 80's and 90's, I hate the hip-hop-rap-crap, but thats whats happening now.
Im gonna give this game a good try, and respect Capcom for trying something new with this old game, whether we are talking about Capcom Japan or Capcom Chile.

You sound like pansy. Lets just open our arms and allow any and all crappy software to come in!

Listen I sound like a sister loving republican but the market won't make crap if we don't buy it. So don't buy crap!

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2005/11/blue-sky-in-games-campaign-launched.html

Just my opinion...=)

Oh ya check out my new webpage if you get a chance...http://www.geocities.com/atomiswave2/

Now thats some real quality stuff.

Red Falcon
5633th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 13 Feb 09:28post reply

To me, this just looks like Capcom of America trying to jump on the "thug games" bandwagon so beloved by younger gamers while simultaneously using an old license to hopefully draw in curious old fans. It's kind of like that American "Godzilla" move in principle (and probably in terms of quality, too... heh heh). They should just stick to "Maximo" or something.

And I think one of the charms of the original Final Fight games was how ridiculous and over-the-top they are. This is trying too hard to look realistic.

Best site EVER:Link Here

Korigama
84th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 13 Feb 10:06:post reply

quote:
I'm not gonna be complaining about this cause I simply don't care and just happy a brawler is back and trying to do something to come alive rather than just taking the original and just making it a "brawler". Simply the genre really is dead and it has to change in some form or fashion to pull people back in the beat em up genre. If this game was a sequel under everyones eyes as just a punch kick button nothing changed and just a flat out new character called Kyle Travers... I'd certainly find that boring, lazy and uninspired. But thats my opinion.

Yes, the beat'em-up needs to change, but this isn't how anyone should go about doing it. As it stands, the gameplay of Devil May Cry 3 is closer to a proper evolution of the beat'em-up than any other game actually released in the genre this generation, despite DMC3 not actually being a beat'em-up...yet Capcom themselves can't even realize that.

And if anything, by bandwagoning with the "dark, gritty, and edgy!!!1!" trend, the result has been the creation of something that is boring and uninspired, in spite of their efforts to avoid that.

quote:

And I think one of the charms of the original Final Fight games was how ridiculous and over-the-top they are. This is trying too hard to look realistic.

Exactly. Realism wasn't what made such games fun in the first place, and by going for realism in terms of style, presentation, and gameplay, it defies the point of such games altogether.

[this message was edited by Korigama on Mon 13 Feb 10:13]

catalyst
139th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 13 Feb 10:58:post reply

quote:

Yes, the beat'em-up needs to change, but this isn't how anyone should go about doing it. As it stands, the gameplay of Devil May Cry 3 is closer to a proper evolution of the beat'em-up than any other game actually released in the genre this generation, despite DMC3 not actually being a beat'em-up...yet Capcom themselves can't even realize that.

And if anything, by bandwagoning with the "dark, gritty, and edgy!!!1!" trend, the result has been the creation of something that is boring and uninspired, in spite of their efforts to avoid that.

Exactly. Realism wasn't what made such games fun in the first place, and by going for realism in terms of style, presentation, and gameplay, it defies the point of such games altogether.

Alright, awesome we got an argument going thats pretty valid so far and not simply just bashing at the game cause of its trend and where its going. But i'm tyring to understand where you can put Devil May cry 3 right next to Final fight. Looking at both games those games are on two different spectrums of comparison in presentation.

Last time I checked with realism and with final fight? One can't simply walk out of a 3 man brawl or 10 and keep going through waves and waves of enemies or that new super strength like drug that FFS is trying to imply. Me and you both know that isn't logically possible. I'm trying to find where and how Final fight was as over the top just as Devil may cry 3 is and I will agree that is over the top as they come with the infinite bullets, running on walls, teleporting etc etc. Honestly thats already going to be intended that Dante will do such of those things cause he is a demon.

I personally saw the simpler side of Final fight. But yea i'm curious to know if you could elaborate.

[this message was edited by catalyst on Mon 13 Feb 11:04]

Korigama
85th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 13 Feb 11:38:post reply

Alright, then.

True, FF wasn't as over-the-top as that. In all honesty, the previous DMCs weren't as over-the-top as 3. But it's not necessarily the over-the-top "Woohoohoohoo!" nature of DMC3 Dante or the extremes implied in the cutscenes (such as the one involving him leaping off the edge of the tower at the start of Mission 8) that I feel is necessary for success, but rather learning from the basic mechanics of the game itself.

Say, for example, the standard combos. Each has its own effect, being knocking away the enemy, or sending them straight up. The same can be said of the additional specials, the properties of which can be used to the advantage of the player in a variety of situations. Having so many options in terms of melee works very well in keeping things balanced, especially when there's lots of freedom in cancelling normal attacks of combos into specials (as is the case in SoR2 and 3, for instance). Being able to juggle the enemy is also a great step forward. What should be avoided, however, is affording the AI all of the advantages the player enjoys, which was Urban Reign's problem, especially since the AI is more capable of exploiting the system than the player possibly could (DMC3's combat works because you're the only one smacking the enemy around as you are, not because the enemy can do everything you can and better so as to juggle you to death as in Urban Reign).

Another thing that works is the lock-on system. Being able to lock on to the enemy makes that much more of a difference, affording not only greater opportunity to focus on the enemies you wish to take out first, but based on how it works in DMC3, even allows for more moves while locking on by something as simple as pressing forward or back in conjunction with an attack button, but with enough leeway to prevent attentive players from unintentionally doing so. In most beat'em-ups released now, the ones that actually have lock-on make it automatic, causing your movement to be more slowly paced when most inopportune, preventing ideal movement around targets and adding further problems to the gameplay (The Bouncer being the main game that comes to mind when I think of this).

The next point is rolling, another advantage made possible by the presence of the lock-on button (of course, this could always be relegated to the D-Pad in other games while the left analog stick controls movement, or even the right analog stick should the camera be capable enough to adjust on its own). The defensive side of additional skills granted by the presence of a lock-on, in DMC3, pressing left or right in conjunction with the jump button (a jump button being mandatory for a decent beat'em-up as far as I'm concerned, and like DMC3, being able to control the altitude of the jump is just as important), instead of having to rely on luck in regards to avoiding getting hit, they can dive out of the way. This helps provide an alternative to jumping out of the way as well, which may not always work. In regards to actual beat'em-ups, the only one I recalled which included a roll was SoR3, and it was, in fact, helpful in further refining the gameplay.

Mission selection was a great feature, too. Why play through the whole game and do everything all over again time after time if you simply wish to skip to your favorite parts while using whomever you wish to beat the missions in an attempt to score a higher rank or just mess around? That's something else which should be taken to heart.

While guns (infinite ammo or no), wall running, and teleporting aren't necessary, there's always the possibility of accomodating multiple styles of play with enough individual characters with their own specialties to appeal to said array of preferences. Having 60+ like Urban Reign is more than pushing it, though, and to some extent, half that can be as well (it's quality, not quantity that should be emphasized, after all). And even then, not all characters have to be permanently available for the whole game in story mode. Aside from all of this, I'd say that another problem is AI allies assisting battles. The gameplay could be that much better should the focus remain solely on the player, the option to switch between fighters on the fly (not unlike the on-the-fly weapon switching in DMC3) helping to create a much more intense experience than one afforded by a friendly AI. Limiting AI assistance to special parts of a game or simply leaving it to a separate co-op mode would be better than anything offered by Beat Down, Urban Reign, or The Warriors and its silly "War Chief" commands.

[this message was edited by Korigama on Mon 13 Feb 11:46]

catalyst
139th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 13 Feb 11:50post reply

Alright now I definately see what your saying from gameplay mechanics to the whole part of the game in general. I guess now the next thing we can do is just wait and see what will happen cause I have no experience to push where FFS stands so far besides the mentioned gameplay on the official website. Thanks for the clearer explanation.

Ammadeau
1488th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 13 Feb 12:33post reply

I found DMC3 to be incredibly boring, so if its the next evolution of the beat 'em up, count me out of the genre. I don't think we need another game with a horrible camera, a lock-on system that doesn't keep enemies in sight, attacks that have no weight to them, AI that just stands there to let you pummel them, and a seemingly endless parade of pointless cut-scenes.

I think Beat Down had a fighting system that was headed in the right direction. The problem was essentially everything else. Spikeout was also good, especially with online play. Can you imagine trying to play DMC3 with another person? The areas are so tiny there's barely enough room for Dante.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Korigama
86th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 13 Feb 14:12:post reply

quote:
I found DMC3 to be incredibly boring, so if its the next evolution of the beat 'em up, count me out of the genre. I don't think we need another game with a horrible camera, a lock-on system that doesn't keep enemies in sight, attacks that have no weight to them, AI that just stands there to let you pummel them, and a seemingly endless parade of pointless cut-scenes.

I think Beat Down had a fighting system that was headed in the right direction. The problem was essentially everything else. Spikeout was also good, especially with online play. Can you imagine trying to play DMC3 with another person? The areas are so tiny there's barely enough room for Dante.

1.)The camera wasn't perfect, but it was at least serviceable (and allowed for adjustment in most areas).

2.)Can't say I had any problems with the lock-on (the camera always shifted to focus on the enemy locked onto as it was). You shouldn't have any problems provided you don't let go of R1, and even then, you can toggle between targets with R3 if not satisfied.

3.)You'll have to explain that one to me (none of the attacks seemed to lack any weight to them to me, unless you meant that they don't have the impact of attacks like in, say, God of War). I can't think of any attacks in beat'em-ups having any more weight, either.

4.)Not much getting around the fact that the enemies were relatively dim (not like they're actually smart in beat'em-ups, anyway). At the same time, though, I'm not arguing for making them too much more intelligent.

5.)The cutscenes were one of the best parts about the game, and even then, you spend more time playing than watching (some sort of plot has to be established, after all; it's not like it's as polarizing as the cutscene duration in the MGS series).

And seeing as Beat Down's battle system is the same-old-same-old without implying having learned anything at all from the older beat'em-ups, especially not from SoR3, which actually had a gauge that allowed for using health-draining specials without cost to health (but really, there's no excuse for still having health draining specials as it is, and if there are such moves, there should be something similar to that gauge to keep their tax on players in check), I don't see how it was headed in the right direction at all. Aside from charging attacks for additional damage and/or stun, I don't see what Spikeout got right, either.

You could always pick up an extra controller while using Doppleganger and press start to see what playing DMC3 with two players is like. As for the size of the environments, they're more limited in scale for a reason, and if they get any bigger than in DMC1 or DMC3, problems begin to occur (it's a large part of the reason why DMC2 didn't work). Personally, it doesn't make me the least bit claustrophobic.

Yeah, DMC3 does still have its problems, but it doesn't have anywhere near as many as any of the games of this so-called "beat'em-up renaissance".

[this message was edited by Korigama on Mon 13 Feb 14:15]

Gojira
1933th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(9):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 13 Feb 14:12post reply

Honestly, what I've seen of FFS really didn't look promising at all. Maybe Capcom will pull off something here, but lately I don't have much faith in their better judgement, at least as far as fighting is concerned.

For my ideal beat-em-up I just want an Urban Reign sequel. I honestly think that its full potential was only hidden by a lack of features like 2-player cooperative modes and a roaming mode.

Ammadeau
1489th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 13 Feb 15:37post reply

How is Beat Down 'same old' when the characters have over a dozen attacks, instead of the punch/jumpkick of the old Final Fight? It's no VF4, and being so would defeat the whole point anyway, but it was fighting system that held up through the whole game for me. While DMC3 had become repetitive after a few hours, and even the weapons that get introduced all seemed weak compared to Rebellion /E&I to make them seem a bit pointless outside of set situations.

Weight is a number of factors, like adding a little rumble at the right moments and the animation reaction to an attack of both opponents. The only time DMC3 had this was when an attack was deflected. All the rest of the time it felt like slicing through air.

The lock-on works in the sense that attacks directed at the enemy will hit them, but I was hoping, like it is in Onechanbara, that it would also keep the enemy on the screen. It doesn't because the camera is terrible, and a bit disorienting, especially if you're near a wall and the angle keeps changing as you're evading.

The cut-scenes are pointless percisely because you're not playing... and why aren't you? Why don't you play Dante running down the side of the tower or leaping onto a missile? What fun is it to sit there and watch him deliver painful one liners instead?

Ninja Gaiden is a little closer to the evolution that you speak of, though I'd really it much rather be the upcoming Dead Rising, if that's all it's cracked up to be.

Korigama
87th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Final fight streetwise of" , posted Mon 13 Feb 16:23:post reply

quote:
How is Beat Down 'same old' when the characters have over a dozen attacks, instead of the punch/jumpkick of the old Final Fight? It's no VF4, and being so would defeat the whole point anyway, but it was fighting system that held up through the whole game for me. While DMC3 had become repetitive after a few hours, and even the weapons that get introduced all seemed weak compared to Rebellion /E&I to make them seem a bit pointless outside of set situations.

I would say whether or not DMC3 gets repetitive all depends on how you play. Counting the special edition, it's almost been a year since I've been playing and I've yet to get bored with it.

With the exception of Cerberus, the other weapons are all stronger than Rebellion as it is. In terms of guns, the only one without much redeeming value is the shotgun, which is only truly useful using Gunslinger (for the sake of the Gunstinger technique). Kalina Ann isn't all that useful except for the battle with Arkham (for the slugs), but Artemis becomes one of the best guns in the game with Gunslinger. Spiral shines mostly by means of Royal Guard, in which case guard canceling makes it more abusable than any other gun in the game (especially seeing as the style rating only goes up as you continue to do it). It's not that E&I is stronger, it's simply the most versatile, which can be said for Rebellion as well, hence why I almost always carry them with me (regardless of the secondary gun and Devil Arm chosen).

FF was never complex to begin with, so it's not hard to picture something with considerably more depth. But Beat Down's combat doesn't compare to the likes of SoR2 or 3, now does it? Are there multiple throw types (the likes of which can be used to throw the enemy into crowds, or simply use to take advantage of the invincibility)? Are there standard specials to go along with the health-draining specials? Are there two types of jump-in attacks, one for knocking down and one for stunning to lead into a combo? Is there a normal attack specifically for knocking enemies down? Does it have some form of reliable evade? If the attacks are simply quantity rather than serving some practical purpose to merit using specific ones over the others, then I don't see how it's not simply redundant and undemonstrative of actual progress made.

A beat'em-up doesn't need VF4: Evo's complexity (but I can't argue for many other games actually needing that), but it does need enough potential to continue to find new ways to approach combat, and of course, to keep it from getting dull, even months after first playing.

quote:

Weight is a number of factors, like adding a little rumble at the right moments and the animation reaction to an attack of both opponents. The only time DMC3 had this was when an attack was deflected. All the rest of the time it felt like slicing through air.

Then it's what I mentioned in regards to God of War having, then. Fair enough, I can agree on that as being something they could work on (it's there for things aside from deflecting, but it's not very prominent).

quote:

The lock-on works in the sense that attacks directed at the enemy will hit them, but I was hoping, like it is in Onechanbara, that it would also keep the enemy on the screen. It doesn't because the camera is terrible, and a bit disorienting, especially if you're near a wall and the angle keeps changing as you're evading.

As I've said, the camera isn't perfect, and while it could use improvement, it's not enough of an issue to take away from the experience. If anything, I complain about the examine and special functions both being assigned to O (which can get quite annoying if there's either something to examine or if there's a door nearby). While a lock-on that dramatically changes the angle to give a better view of the enemy could potentially be disorienting, I could see how it could be beneficial as well.

quote:

The cut-scenes are pointless percisely because you're not playing... and why aren't you? Why don't you play Dante running down the side of the tower or leaping onto a missile? What fun is it to sit there and watch him deliver painful one liners instead?

But that's not the point of cutscenes, now is it? If your complaint is not having interactivity at every waking moment of the game, then there's not much else I can say.

quote:

Ninja Gaiden is a little closer to the evolution that you speak of, though I'd really it much rather be the upcoming Dead Rising, if that's all it's cracked up to be.

Considering the fact that it owes much to DMC as it is (DMC1, mind you), I wouldn't understand how it's any better, especially considering the chains for the weapons being (correct me if I'm wrong) predetermined instead of having a myriad of ways to mix things up like in DMC3, largely thanks to the on-the-fly weapon switching and freedom to cancel into other attacks and combinations.

I don't recall Dead Rising, but I'll look into it.

[this message was edited by Korigama on Mon 13 Feb 16:37]

Ammadeau
1491th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Final fight streetwise of" , posted Mon 13 Feb 19:17:post reply

quote:
But Beat Down's combat doesn't compare to the likes of SoR2 or 3, now does it? Are there multiple throw types (the likes of which can be used to throw the enemy into crowds, or simply use to take advantage of the invincibility)? Are there standard specials to go along with the health-draining specials? Are there two types of jump-in attacks, one for knocking down and one for stunning to lead into a combo? Is there a normal attack specifically for knocking enemies down? Does it have some form of reliable evade?

...you haven't actually played Beat Down, have you? Because it's yes for most of those. It's robust enough that it's almost but not quite enough to support the 1 on 1 versus mode which plays more like a traditional 3D fighter. The only thing it's lacking is the characters are sort of half formed, like one will have complex kick attacks while only very basic punches, while another will have a range of fist moves, but only a few kicks.

quote:
But that's not the point of cutscenes, now is it? If your complaint is not having interactivity at every waking moment of the game, then there's not much else I can say.

No, my complaint is sitting there a good 10-15 mins with nothing to do but watch Dante show off, which just isn't impressive if I'm not the one doing it. DMC3 approaches Xenosaga in its obsessive with cut-scenes. I know you can skip them, but geez.

quote:
Considering the fact that it owes much to DMC as it is (DMC1, mind you), I wouldn't understand how it's any better, especially considering the chains for the weapons being (correct me if I'm wrong) predetermined instead of having a myriad of ways to mix things up like in DMC3, largely thanks to the on-the-fly weapon switching and freedom to cancel into other attacks and combinations.

Actually, I liked DMC1 better than 3 now that it's brought up, and no arguement NG borrows plenty from DMC, but where it improves is it makes each fight count, especially at the higher difficulties. In DMC3 most enemies are just fodder. In NG you need to fight with more care and not focus entirely on being flashy. I don't care if I can string together a 100 hit combo if I can do it blindfolded. There's no challenge to it then there's no fun for me.

[this message was edited by Ammadeau on Mon 13 Feb 19:18]

Maese Spt
170th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official " , posted Tue 14 Feb 19:44post reply

quote:

simply majority of most people on this board and probably on other boards have a few liking and not one as well towards that rap and hip hop feel ala gangsta music or scene populated by 50 cent

But I mean look at this way, give or take the original final fight that came out was late 80s to 90s if I'm wrong, but final fight was heavily biting off the Mad Max Motorcycle gang like look with a few exceptations towards original characters like Sodom, Rolento. Same with Double Dragon.

Actually, you have a point in that. And, to certain degree, I agree with you. Street culture has changed since late 80's - early 90's, so it´s only natural for a brand new street brawler to reflex those "tribal" changes.

I don't like this new hip-hop trend (nor did I enjoy the 80's punk fashion), but that's what we've got nowadays, so we have to bear it. If only for nostalgic reasons, I prefered the good old punks with leather jackets and that hilarious Mad Max look, right, but it's just my personal taste. I guess Metro City has changed acording to the new trends as well. I don`t like it, but I must admit it. It´s only natural.

My point was not that. Someone has said a few post earlier that all the bizarreness of the classic FF is nowhere to be found in this new installement. And I agree with it.

I've only seen a few video footages, but the visuals looked terribly lame. Everything was dull and plain (and ugly, but that, like the hip-hop thing, it's more a personal observation). There was nothing spectacular or even eye-catching. I had serious problems to follow the main character, since he looked exactly the same as those street thugs he fought. And those street thugs looked all the same as well. The stages were quite plain and lifeless too. Pretty much everything on this new Metro City is so uninspired (and uninspiring)...

Old FF was funny because of its bizarre, oversized and impossible characters (Damnd, Eddy, Abigail, Andore & Co., Haggar...). And I think such things can be done on 3D street brawlers as well, we have the Dinamite Deka saga to confirm it. Those two games are a pure stravaganza, one can feel a resemblance of the good old FF while playing them. If someone feels like reviving FF on 3D, why not follow Dinamite Deka's example, instead of drowning on the GTA/50 cents/random trash current?

Heck, FF were not cool nor flashy, they were just ridiculous. Just bizarre. From the plot to the main characters. For heaven's sake, you had to fight André the Giant, anf then a bunch of street (and transvestite) hookers with the city Mayor!! That's why FFs were so damned fun to play.

This new FF's failure is not about street fashion, not even about graphics. It´s about spirit. I didn't know the game was Capcom America's doing, but that may explain a lot of things.

Ishmael
2401th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 27 Feb 06:30post reply

Reports are that in addition to characters like Sodom and Poison showing back up in Metro City, Cammy is in the game as well.

Here's a link to where you can buy prints of CGI from the game.

Evenor
311th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 27 Feb 08:07post reply

quote:
Reports are that in addition to characters like Sodom and Poison showing back up in Metro City, Cammy is in the game as well.

Here's a link to where you can buy prints of CGI from the game.

Cammy looks amazing!

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Black_Hayato
159th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Final fight streetwise official" , posted Mon 27 Feb 09:56post reply

I definately miss the old Capcom, but lets face it they'll never have that certain "charm" for lack of a better word; ever again. And I don't think Capcom could get away with leaving their characters "timeless" anyway, even if they really are.

Critics are harsher towards them and their franchises than say Nintendo who doesn't seem to have to ever change any of its characters. Even Megaman seems to have to constantly change.

But of all the modern brawlers I was most disappointed with Urban Reign's unrealized potential. It has the fighting system & characters but is directed as a multi-fighter/wrestling type not a beat'em up. As a fighter its too simplistic and lacks depth, but the same mechanics would be awsome in a brawler. All it needs is a deep 2player system (SoR), and some great level designs (point AtoB & branching) and scenarios.

GekigangerV
1210th Post

"Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Mon 27 Feb 11:32:post reply

From the pre-order comic/sketch book

Cammy, Poison, Andore
Sodom

Yes, I pre-ordered it. It was more out of curiosity than anything. I wonder how/if they will do Sodom's Japanglish or if any reference is made to the Hugo Wrestling Alliance.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Mon 27 Feb 11:34]

Just a Person
758th Post

"Re(1):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Mon 27 Feb 14:17post reply

quote:

Cammy, Poison, Andore
Sodom

Yes, I pre-ordered it. It was more out of curiosity than anything. I wonder how/if they will do Sodom's Japanglish or if any reference is made to the Hugo Wrestling Alliance.

Cool! It's nice to see the return of all these characters like Guy, Haggar, Cody, Andore, Poison... Cammy is a great addition as well (although Maki would make more sense in this game)!
Now, I wonder how does this game fits into the Final Fight/Street Fighter chronological storyline, and whether this Andore is Hugo or another member of the family.
Anyway, maybe FFS does turn out to be an amazing game after all. Maybe not, but I'll give it a chance with no doubt!

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

crazymike
1212th Post

"Re(2):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Mon 27 Feb 15:43post reply

Lets see, Cammy went from being a Red Delta special forces to a border-line lolicon shadowloo assassin to a gun toting shooter chick in cannon spike and now a bonified street hoe.

Oh well, at least Capcom is trying to tie this in somehow with past franchises.

HAYATO
589th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Mon 27 Feb 20:13post reply

quote:

Cammy, Poison, Andore
Sodom

LOL!!! Those sketches look really wrong in so many levels...

Rid
7017th Post

"Re(1):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Tue 28 Feb 00:30post reply

quote:

Cammy, Poison, Andore
Sodom
eeew

Ishmael
2402th Post

"Re(3):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Tue 28 Feb 04:04post reply

quote:
Lets see, Cammy went from being a Red Delta special forces to a border-line lolicon shadowloo assassin to a gun toting shooter chick in cannon spike and now a bonified street hoe.

With a pedigree like that I'm surprised I'm not a bigger fan of Cammy.

Undead Fred
2657th Post

"Re(3):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Tue 28 Feb 05:24post reply

quote:

Heh heh. Well, I'm sure it's hard to find work with a group like Shadaloo on your resume.

Gojira
1936th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Tue 28 Feb 05:33post reply

Sodom looks okay, but that's probably more by accident than intention.

Maese Spt
173th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Tue 28 Feb 20:05post reply

quote:
Sodom looks okay, but that's probably more by accident than intention.

My thinks the same.

Oh, and, on a totally unrelated note, Ishmael's new sig TOTALLY ROCKS. Just had to point that, for Taki sama's sake.

Dr Baghead
3571th Post

"Re(4):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Wed 1 Mar 05:28post reply

quote:
With a pedigree like that I'm surprised I'm not a bigger fan of Cammy.

You're not?!?! But don't you know she's the bestest character with the deepest most complex storyline?! She's based on Gali and Kenshin, and is not a clone of Bison no matter what Capcom says because a clone of a man can only be a man! Also in Japan they have Car elevators for parking!! She's waaaay better then Chun-Li or Ryu!

(although in all seriousness: Do Haggar, Guy, Cammy, whatever other heroes are showing up even have major roles in the game? or are they just Cameos?)

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

TiamatRoar
738th Post

"Re(5):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Wed 1 Mar 08:03post reply

You can learn some moves from Haggar and there are times when he (and Guy) will help you out in fights as well. Dunno if there's anymore than that (Guy will likely have a decent plot role, though)

And absolutely no clue about Cammy. It's kinda amazing how "under the radar" she is since you'd think if she was in the game for promotional reasons, she'd be... well, promoted. But instead we know absolutely nothing about her and her being in the game at all is a complete surprise. Even Stefan hasn't realized she's in the game, yet. If I had to guess, I'd say they slapped her in there simply because someone on the staff is a big Cammyfan.

Here's the gallery of one of the Streetwise artists, by the way. It includes a Cammy SW pic.

http://www.steveargyle.com/index.php?gallery=3D+CGI

Rid
7020th Post

"Re(6):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Wed 1 Mar 08:17post reply

quote:
Even Stefan hasn't realized she's in the game, yet.
He probably saw it already, but his brain needs a couple of months to process thoughts that complex.

CharlesProphony
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Wed 1 Mar 08:47post reply

quote:

Here's the gallery of one of the Streetwise artists, by the way. It includes a Cammy SW pic.

http://www.steveargyle.com/index.php?gallery=3D+CGI

oh, looks like martha stewart wants to kick some butts...

just improving my english...

talbaineric
6231th Post

"Re(7):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Thu 2 Mar 04:25post reply

I don't like to criticize but that's some fugly art. Oh Hiraoki and Edayan, where art thou?

Yay! Cammy's in. Although which is supposed to be her design in the game, the one with her wearing pants or the one with her wearing shorts?

I hear the game is absolutely terrible. One of the worst in Capcom's history according to what I've heard.

TALBAINANDCAMMY.COM! Celebrating 3 years of T&C Fanship.
My Deviantart place! TE loves Deviantart!

Pollyanna
1666th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(8):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Thu 2 Mar 07:02post reply

quote:

I hear the game is absolutely terrible. One of the worst in Capcom's history according to what I've heard.

Yeah, I'm hearing the same thing all over the place. Maybe some people will make themselves enjoy it due to their leftover love from the original(s)...

TiamatRoar
739th Post

"Re(9):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Thu 2 Mar 07:17post reply

I hear the fighting system is decent but gameplay is marred by a horrible camera (and everything besides that is pretty darn bad from graphics to sound to whatever).

I still plan on getting it though. I'm under the impression that at the very least it's good for stupid fun. Which isn't very different from most of the other Final Fights, anyways, when you think about it.

GekigangerV
1211th Post

"Re(10):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Thu 2 Mar 13:54:post reply

I got it and I think it is okay so far. About in the 6~7/10 range or so. The basic gameplay is alright.

The battle system has some interesting moves and I think it is pretty easy to get used to. The biggest thing lacking is the 360 attacks, which I thought were part of all prior Final Fights and would have been REALLY helpful in this game. Maybe you buy it later, but it should have been available since the begining. The dodge system is a little weird though. On the X-Box you have to hold the R Trigger + the direction you want to dodge, then push the black button.

There is one mini-game where you attack a SUV(reference to the original game no doubt), but the damage effects aren't all that impressive . Just some dents and broken windsheilds. I would have liked to have seen the wheels give in and have the roof collapse or something.

However, the camera is indeed the worse part of the game so far. Sometimes it will swing behind you and just be a foot away from your head and you can only see two or three of the five guys beating on you. The only thing you can do is try to grab an enemy and throw him into the crowd to try and make an opening to run through so you can adjust the camera.

The bonus Arcade version of the original Final Fight sucks as well. Its playabe, but has a really low framerate or something. There is something noticeably wrong when you play it.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Thu 2 Mar 13:54]

sushi_bunny
384th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Fri 3 Mar 14:35post reply

Isn't Sodom a white guy?

-sush

TiamatRoar
743th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Sat 4 Mar 00:45:post reply

Sodom is white. He's your typical crazy western otaku that's infatuated with Japanese culture.

...well, typical when you don't include the whole huge gangmember that wields swords thing.

I'm having fun with the game so far. Normal combat is playable but kinda simplistic (although two attack buttons instead of one is nice. No jump, though?), but boss battles are pretty well thought out, I think. I actually have to do something besides button-mash to win them.

No 360 attack is a pain in the butt, although if you're really good with the counter system or grappling, you can get by in those situations (otherwise, sometimes it's a matter of frantically attacking in all directions hoping for the best, but I'm lazy like that)

[this message was edited by TiamatRoar on Sat 4 Mar 00:46]

aderack
227th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Sodom/Cammy sketch" , posted Sat 4 Mar 20:26:post reply

That super-chi-whatever thing mapped to the left trigger is, I think, supposed to kind of take the place of the roundabout attack.

I'd gladly have taken a jump button over the largely-useless block.

I've played half an hour, and aside from camera-and-framerate related headaches, I've found it really charming so far. The problems are mostly all minor and technical. Perhaps it will get worse as it goes along.

The weird thing about the camera is the way it likes to rest right on Kyle's shoulders. If it just panned down a little or pulled back, it wouldn't be so much trouble. What an odd default position.

[this message was edited by aderack on Sat 4 Mar 20:28]

sushi_bunny
385th Post

Silver Customer

"Instruction booklet" , posted Sun 5 Mar 15:59post reply

I don't believe that they try to make it a ghetto fabulous ebonic slang hip hop game.

Like Strongbad said to the Cheat:

"Firebird? Terrible!" (Like the freshness of the game)

sush

Ishmael
2410th Post

"Re(1):Instruction booklet" , posted Mon 6 Mar 05:22post reply

Haggar meets, punches Cammy.

I have yet to play the game but I'm still left with the impression that FF:Streetwise is the videogame equivalent of a Dolph Lundgren movie; it's not great but it's not making any claims that it's great. The B lists of videogames remains sort of a hazy concept but that's where this game seems to be firmly aimed.

shin ramberk
241th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Instruction booklet" , posted Mon 6 Mar 06:22post reply

With all of this brouhaha surrounding the game, it made me think that if Def Jam Vendetta or Def Jam New York had simply been renamed Final Fight Vendetta and you replaced all the rapper/hip hop fighters with final fighter characters-- we would have had a more liked game.

I haven't played FF-SW. Though, it's just a fricken shame that an American dev studio simply can't make a good fighting game. I mean honestly, can anyone recall of a good fighting game coming from America? Are we only good at making shooters, sports games, platform games, sims, RTS, and some RPGs? Okay, those are a lot of genres, but I don't care for any of them!

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

GekigangerV
1213th Post

"Re(3):Instruction booklet" , posted Wed 8 Mar 03:57post reply

I just finished the game and overall it is pretty average. It is about a 6.5~7/10 in my book.

The game has potential. If they make a sequel, the first thing they should fix is the camera, then the should work on some of the cutscenes. There was this one scene where Kyle is thrown out of a van and it speeds away. The van looks very crappy going down the street and making a turn almost like it isn't even on the road.

They should have worked on some character development as well. The Sgt. Simms character was there and kind of had a role in the story, but just popped in and out three times. They should have done some stuff with Lou "the skin," like why is he associated with Guy.

If anyone is interested, here are the other two character design pages from the promotional comic .

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/sw1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/sw2.jpg

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
The game really starts breaking down storyline wise right when the GLO-addicts ransack the "hood". I think they should have just stuck with regular goons or kind of limit the amount of the addicts. There was a nice reference to Cody's Criminal Upper attack and 2P at the end. I was a bit shocked when the true identity of the boss was revealed, very nice.

End of Spoiler

Ishmael
2415th Post

"Re(4):Instruction booklet" , posted Wed 8 Mar 04:21post reply

So who is the final boss? If you're going to use the Spoiler tag you might as well really get out there and spoil things.

End of Spoiler

TiamatRoar
743th Post

"Re(4):Instruction booklet" , posted Wed 8 Mar 04:49post reply

Yea, I think they overdid the GLOW part at the end, although I do think even unFinal-Fight-ish mutants are more interesting to fight than FF2 and FF3's final bosses, and at least the final boss himself wasn't like... Zombie Belgar :P

I can understand having 100% of the enemies be glowheads in the anarchy stage where you have to rescue Vanessa as that's supposed to represent total chaos, but they should have thrown some normal goons etc into the mix for the final assault on the church, at least

End of Spoiler

catalyst
143th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Instruction booklet" , posted Wed 8 Mar 07:45post reply

Timat I had a small question, did your disc happen to skip around guys explanation scene about how cody got into jail when Guy was talking to him? I was just curious because all I got was the instruction book explanation from Guy [ like half the conversation spoken by Guy ]. It sounded like he was already speaking to kyle before hand and was just rushing to teach Kyle new techniques.

TiamatRoar
745th Post

"Re(6):Instruction booklet" , posted Wed 8 Mar 07:50:post reply

Yea, it did. I'm pretty sure that was done on purpose, like whenever a character tells another character a story to get them up to speed but the writer/animator doesn't want to waste the viewer's time listening to something the viewer already saw before.

Of course, the main problem being that in this case, it wasn't something the viewer saw before. -_-

I guess the storyline writers just figured that it was such a small detail that they didn't need Guy to go into detail about it. Sure as heck didn't seem like a small detail to me, though.

Looking at what Guy does in the game and how he talks to Kyle about the crime, I have a theory on what the crime was about (basically, Guy committed the crime on purpose believing he was doing the right thing in an "ends justify the means" way), but I can only go by circumstantial evidence for that (for instance without spoiling the latter parts of the game, after telling Kyle about the crime, Guy says he honours Cody for taking the fall and feels in-debted to him for it, but doesn't show any regret for his crime. At least, if I heard things right)

[this message was edited by TiamatRoar on Wed 8 Mar 07:54]

catalyst
144th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Instruction booklet" , posted Wed 8 Mar 08:16post reply

quote:
Yea, it did. I'm pretty sure that was done on purpose, like whenever a character tells another character a story to get them up to speed but the writer/animator doesn't want to waste the viewer's time listening to something the viewer already saw before.

Of course, the main problem being that in this case, it wasn't something the viewer saw before. -_-

I guess the storyline writers just figured that it was such a small detail that they didn't need Guy to go into detail about it. Sure as heck didn't seem like a small detail to me, though.

Looking at what Guy does in the game and how he talks to Kyle about the crime, I have a theory on what the crime was about (basically, Guy committed the crime on purpose believing he was doing the right thing in an "ends justify the means" way), but I can only go by circumstantial evidence for that (for instance without spoiling the latter parts of the game, after telling Kyle about the crime, Guy says he honours Cody for taking the fall and feels in-debted to him for it, but doesn't show any regret for his crime. At least, if I heard things right)

Thanks Tiamat, much appreciated, I feel though I'm leaning on the exact same score you posted for this game as well. The bonuses and Mini games [however somewhat amusing in some cases] could be so much better. If anything i'm having fun just smacking people around and the random npcs coming up to Kyle and speaking to him. The story also so far is pretty fair. I just wish like how we discussed about Guy and Cody those little nit picks are revealed same goes for Jessica as well.

I feel though the sound is my biggest complaint, the FMV scenes felt like I really needed to hit the volume button just to hear what the characters were saying. Even on in game play I had to fiddle around to get a proper amount of music and sound effects so one doesnt flood the other.

TiamatRoar
745th Post

"Re(8):Instruction booklet" , posted Wed 8 Mar 08:24post reply

I think Gekiganger posted a score, not me, but my score would have been pretty much the same(6.5 to 7).

IMHO, the storyline starts out as mediocre-to-decent and then later on is... hmm... give-and-take. I liked it, though. It would have been nice if they had gone into the backstory of old favorites like Guy and Cody, etc, but there are still some cool tidbits thrown in.

catalyst
146th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Instruction booklet" , posted Wed 8 Mar 08:53:post reply

Whoops sorry bout that, I've kind of looked into the whole knee problem on a logical perspective and it looks like the symptons at bottom would fit cody's stand point, common arthirtis possibly or something of another. Thought it maybe interesting to poke at it I suppose.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/knee-replacement/HQ00977

I mean you could have any knee problem but this one looks like it fits the number in Cody's set but... he sure isn't 55 thats for sure.

miscallenous edit: If anyone else is curious where to fight cammy besides arcade mode, you can fight her numerous times at the Japantown fight club right next to Lou's tatoo parlor just look for Guys Genin men standing outside a large gate.

[this message was edited by catalyst on Wed 8 Mar 10:19]

GekigangerV
1214th Post

"Re(10):Instruction booklet" , posted Fri 10 Mar 14:17post reply

I am doing my second play through and was wondering if anyone knew how to do that "Alternating Body Blows" move it says

"A,A pause A, rapidly press A"

However I am not getting it. Is there some visual cue I need to be looking for?

Also, does respect have any effect on the game at all? I am just wondering as I haven't really seen anything that would tell me it does.

And finally, nobody has found Sodom have they?

aderack
229th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Instruction booklet" , posted Fri 10 Mar 21:12post reply

Sodom strikes when you least expect it.

TiamatRoar
747th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Instruction booklet" , posted Fri 10 Mar 23:11:post reply

quote:
I am doing my second play through and was wondering if anyone knew how to do that "Alternating Body Blows" move it says

"A,A pause A, rapidly press A"

However I am not getting it. Is there some visual cue I need to be looking for?

Also, does respect have any effect on the game at all? I am just wondering as I haven't really seen anything that would tell me it does.

And finally, nobody has found Sodom have they?

I LOVE that move. Use it with instinct and watch the boss's life meter draaaaaain.

...er, yea. To do it, press X twice rather quickly (so Kyle does two weak punches. Make sure you just press X and not say, Forward + X. That makes Kyle do a medium punch. You want weak punches).

...lemme start over.

Press X twice rather quickly (two weak punches), then pause for about half a second or so before pressing X to make Kyle do his third punch. Immediately button mash X from there.

Actually, a better way to describe it is:

Press X twice, pause for half a second, then mash X like crazy.

No one has found Sodom or Poison to my knowledge. I wonder if they were cut out of the final game or if they're really big secrets.

Also, sfdevotion told Sano at the New York comikon that Guy would be married to "Maki's sister" in Streetwise (assumedly Rena from Final Fight 2) but I saw no mention or indication of that whatsoever in the game (Maybe the secret quest is that Sodom kidnaps her? Perhaps I'm being too optimistic and they were all just cut from the final version)

[this message was edited by TiamatRoar on Fri 10 Mar 23:12]

catalyst
146th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Instruction booklet" , posted Sat 11 Mar 00:15post reply

I kind of find an easier way to do Kyles alternating body blows is just let him do his weak punch constantly, then theres a moment where hes gonna do a heavy cross punch and throw his body weight into that. Then you have a brief frame to rapidly press x and voila. I had trouble pulling that move off as well.

TiamatRoar
747th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Instruction booklet" , posted Sat 11 Mar 00:34post reply

quote:
Sodom strikes when you least expect it.

Did you actually manage to find Sodom in the game? I couldn't find any trace of him.