Exploding peguins return - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2555 Views )

Ishmael
2380th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Exploding peguins return" , posted Fri 10 Feb 23:22post reply

The Nippon Ichi Love Train rolls on with the announcement that Disgaea 2 is getting a US release.

Replies:

Variable Savior
339th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Exploding peguins return" , posted Sat 11 Feb 09:24post reply

I looovveeeed Disgaea (and consequently feared it's addictive time consumption) but man the sequel sounds just like the original. The only really difference so far seems to be the Dark Court and alternative means of influencing the Dark Assembly. Gamestop has a more in depth preview - I watched one of the videos and I didn't notice any significant differences (although one of the screen shots appears to feature Pram from Makai Kingdom).

I'm not slamming this game, mind you - it's just that I'm not as excited as I think I should be...

Blood marks heaven's path

Rid
7000th Post

"Re(1):Exploding peguins return" , posted Sat 11 Feb 11:07post reply

quote:
The Nippon Ichi Love Train rolls on with the announcement that Disgaea 2 is getting a US release.

I think that the train has been missing passengers with each new game...

Zepy
1187th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Exploding peguins return" , posted Sat 11 Feb 12:19post reply

quote:
I think that the train has been missing passengers with each new game...

There won't be any passengers left if they miss passengers again this time.

Pollyanna
1648th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Exploding peguins return" , posted Sat 11 Feb 12:44post reply

Really? In terms of gamplay I've liked each Nippon-1 game more than the last. I'm just getting sick of their cheesy, preachy, meaningless storylines. They have such amazing setups and start out so strong, then just dissolve into icky, sappy ooze by the end.

Phantom Brave was the worst, by far, but Disgaea was the most insulting.

I'm excited about this because the sprites are very nice and not recycled. Phantom Brave/Kingdom looked hideous on high definition TVs.

Time Mage
2318th Post

"Re(1):Exploding peguins return" , posted Sat 11 Feb 18:35post reply

Meh, after all the hype around it, I were fairly dissapointed from Disgaea. Sure, the characters were great, and I found the English voice acting quite very good, but the gameplay was totally non-strategic, the only thing necessary to beat the game were levels: tons of levels, both in weapons and characters. The classes weren't unique enough, most abilities were just damaging ones (no defensive, status inflicting, positioning or gameflow altering abilities), and the enemy AI was pure crap.
I enjoyed playing it, but not because of the game itself, only because of the characters.

Pollyanna
1649th Post

"Re(2):Exploding peguins return" , posted Sat 11 Feb 19:25post reply

quote:
but the gameplay was totally non-strategic, the only thing necessary to beat the game were levels: tons of levels, both in weapons and characters.

I usually deal with this shortcoming by being horrendously underleveled. Then I have to get creative. I do that in a lot of games.

Buuut...Disgaea IS about leveling to the point that it became an online RPG time repetitive obsession for some people.

I found all the characters to be well designed and charming for like...maybe a 3rd of the game. By the end, I hated them all. Buuut...even if they were handled poorly, they certainly have "star power".

Time Mage
2320th Post

"Re(3):Exploding peguins return" , posted Sun 12 Feb 00:45post reply

quote:
I usually deal with this shortcoming by being horrendously underleveled. Then I have to get creative. I do that in a lot of games.

Well, yes, I agree. You can overcome FE8 somewhat lower difficulty by playing it in hard with underleveled units, and then you have to be quite strategic in your decisions, like positioning, attacking order, taking the necessary risks, etc. but since the different classes in Disgaea only differ in the graphical representation of the damage they deal, you can't get very creative with it. It had great ideas, like the pick and throw system but in the end they weren't implemented wel enough in the battle: those abilities really shined in the geopanels puzzles and clearing floors in the items world quickly.

Mozex
321th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Exploding peguins return" , posted Wed 15 Feb 09:50post reply

quote:
I'm excited about this because the sprites are very nice and not recycled. Phantom Brave/Kingdom looked hideous on high definition TVs.

I was under the impression that none of those games had a high-def modes.

Be kind to goblins.

Pollyanna
1652th Post

"Re(5):Exploding peguins return" , posted Wed 15 Feb 10:19post reply

quote:

I was under the impression that none of those games had a high-def modes.

Well, many(most?) games don't, but that doesn't necessarily make them look terrible. Phantom Brave made me say "I need to hook up my old crappy TV."

exodus
3262th Post

"Re(6):Exploding peguins return" , posted Thu 16 Feb 03:41post reply

bob timbello of hitmaker looks like a beat poet!

he's pretty awesome. but I probably still won't play braid dancer.

OYashiroForever
853th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Quick impressions" , posted Thu 23 Feb 17:36post reply

Bigger, cleaner sprites with new animations.

Exact same game.

Granted, I'm only on the 3rd story chapter thingy so things may change, but the combat system is exactly the same (combos, geo-panels, throwing), the monsters are mostly the same (save for 3 or 4 new breeds that I've seen so far), all of the extras/systems are the same (item world, combining, rare items, character-creation/transmigrating, senate stuff, etc.), and the weapons have all the same skills.

In short, if you've passed on all of the other NIS games because they weren't EXACTLY like Disgaea, then here's your game. Color me disappointed, though.

pointman_4000
34th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Exploding peguins return" , posted Thu 23 Feb 20:53post reply

I personally didn't like Disgaea all that much when I had the game. I did like how much money I made off it when i sold on Ebay though.

[-OO]----///////////////////

Zepy
1191th Post

"Re(2):Exploding peguins return" , posted Fri 24 Feb 05:09post reply

I like the game. I got criminal records.

Zepy
1196th Post

"Zeta beaaaaaam returns" , posted Tue 7 Mar 13:24:post reply

quote:
I like the game. I got criminal records.

Ahem. I'm just about finished with everything with the game. I think I love the game.

The ura route for the main story's stages all have beautiful difficulty, I love them. Especially when my objective is to get to a certain location and the dark sun forbids movement.

AND ZETA.

He fights as a book. And Zeta Beam is a skill. That completely made the game for me.

All the ranged weapons are better now though, and sword got weakened. Archer is now really really good. Finally.

Also, they made an anime ending for beating Laharl, but no anime ending for the main story. Aaaand, the anime's made by ufotable, so it looks a lot better than the tv series. Come to think of it, the game really lacks in multi endings.

The game still basically plays like disgaea though, and all the quick power up tricks are still available. And zeta/marjoly/prier/asagi aren't available for play. But there's curtis.

Also, I'm only at 45 hours, so it's not a very long game. 20 hours for the story.

[this message was edited by Zepy on Tue 7 Mar 13:24]

Ishmael
2413th Post

"Re(1):Zeta beaaaaaam returns" , posted Wed 8 Mar 03:33post reply

quote:
Also, I'm only at 45 hours, so it's not a very long game. 20 hours for the story.

That's good to hear. While I'm sure the game can be extended to an endless degree like the first one it's nice to hear about a game that is smart enough to not have an overwhelming length as default time. It's also nice to hear that the archer can do more now than just stand around and look cute.

Pollyanna
1674th Post

"Re(2):Zeta beaaaaaam returns" , posted Wed 8 Mar 07:03post reply

Yes, but let's take into account how much of that time is wasted by characters saying the same 3 lines over and over again. It was bad enough to make me stomp my feet, wave my arms and say "this is ridiculous!" If it's not "only daughter" it's "protect my family" or "man's promise" or whatever. Does that pass? I'm not very far.

Zepy
1196th Post

"Re(3):Zeta beaaaaaam returns" , posted Wed 8 Mar 12:44post reply

quote:
Does that pass?

IT SPANS THE ENTIRE STORY, IT'S HORRIBLE.