New Nintendo DS Model announced - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1871 Views )

Professor
2267th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"New Nintendo DS Model announced" , posted Thu 26 Jan 16:36post reply

Nintendo's announced it'll make a new DS model called the "Nintendo DS Lite". It'll weigh 218 grams (previous DS was 270), and have four levels of brightness adjustment for its screens.

Link Here

Replies:

OmegaDog
1574th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):New Nintendo DS Model announced" , posted Thu 26 Jan 16:41:post reply

Score! Even if there's not much difference -- which there couldn't've been anyway -- it was worth waiting to get an NDS, then.

(... so long as it has all the proper features included, that is.)

Thanks for the news, Prof! (And, heh, post it on the front page!)

"So... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY!" || CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Thu 26 Jan 16:47]

Maese Spt
143th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):New Nintendo DS Model announced" , posted Thu 26 Jan 18:49post reply

Hmm, so that new design a la PSP was a hoax after all...

"At his coming the gods themselves are put to flight and the Buddhas vanish"

CHAZumaru
338th Post

Bronze Customer

"Professor, any idea what this is about?" , posted Thu 26 Jan 20:41post reply

Hi Professor, any idea what this is about?

Fan project? Joke mock-up? Future MMC frontpage april fool? Real project? Canned Sawaru Wario stage? Time paradox?

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!

Joe Randel
472th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):New Nintendo DS Model announced" , posted Fri 27 Jan 02:04post reply

I just bought the Mario Kart bundle last week and I'm super happy with it. I don't feel the need to run out and get this one too nor do I feel ripped off. I don't see the changes to be that huge to be honest so I don't feel like I'm missing out.

It sure didn't take them long to get a redesign out there. My guess is this is why the shortage of DS's in Japan as well. Wait... when is this DS supposed to hit North America?

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Grahf
425th Post

Gold Customer

"Details" , posted Fri 27 Jan 02:11:post reply

OK, at first glance, nothing has changed. But on closer inspection there are a few key differences. I'm guessing the screens are the same size as the original, which means that the rest of the device has gotten a tad smaller (obvious). The start and select buttons have moved down and gotten smaller, while the power button has moved off the bottom face entirely. These are welcome changes for sure (I've hit the power button on accident more than once on my DS classic). The hinge for the screen has moved from the center to the outsides, with the status lights on the right side instead of below the bottom screen. This will make it even easier to see the lights with the lid closed, which is also a minor plus (so you can tell when it's done charging). I just hope the hinge isn't in the way of the L and R buttons at all.

The only negative changes I see are the size of the speakers and the location of the microphone. There are now a grand total of 12 holes (visible) exposing the speakers, while the old DS has 56. The microphone is now directly below the top screen instead of the bottom left of the bottom screen. This might make it easier to access, but I can forsee some fogging up of the touch screen when blowing on the microphone and the general grossness of other people breathing all over my touch screen when they use it.

While some of the changes are nice, this is hardly an overhaul. The screen brightness adjustments might be good for making your battery last longer, but the old screen is plenty bright as it is, so I don't think viewing quality is an issue here. I definitely won't feel like I'm missing out by not getting myself an upgrade, unlike the GBA SP.

[this message was edited by Grahf on Fri 27 Jan 02:15]

KTallguy
802th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Details" , posted Fri 27 Jan 03:04post reply

This has pushed me over the edge =) Now I have to buy one.

I knew that it was only a matter of time before they were gonna make it smaller anyway...

And the compatability with GBA games? SCORE!

Now I just need it in black.

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

exodus
3237th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Details" , posted Fri 27 Jan 04:08post reply

quote:

And the compatability with GBA games? SCORE!

score? how sad when we're excited that nintendo hasn't taken more things away.

I guess it's part of the general trend toward 'not as bad as I thought!' meaning 'good!'

Ishmael
2358th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Details" , posted Fri 27 Jan 04:28post reply

quote:

Now I just need it in black.

I want one with a fake wood grain finish myself. But with two, two, two versions of the DS I'm going to have no choice but to get one of them... assuming I find one in a color I approve of.