Historic: Disney buys Pixar - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2169 Views )

talbaineric
6219th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Wed 25 Jan 09:31:post reply

History has been made today in the animation business

To be honest, I didn't want this to happen. As a newfound Disney fan, I'm not sure what to make of it. Disney's always been the coup-de-grand of the animation world. However, Pixar will bring even more to the table and I'm sure John Lasseter will help Disney Feature Animation even more now. This will prove fruitful I'm sure.

If they do resurrect 2-D movies again (besides the direct-to-video ones) then even all the more better.

But meh, we'll see. Disney does need Pixar and Pixar really needed Disney so it works out for both.

Now let's see where the future takes the company.

I wonder if now the copyrights will read just to Disney instead of Disney/Pixar like it's always been?

TALBAINANDCAMMY.COM! Celebrating 3 years of T&C Fanship.
My Deviantart place! TE loves Deviantart!

[this message was edited by talbaineric on Wed 25 Jan 09:33]

Replies:

exodus
3234th Post

"Re(1):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Wed 25 Jan 09:54post reply

some day I will be the coup-de-grand of something. just biding my time.

Cain Highwind
646th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Wed 25 Jan 09:58post reply

I think it's pretty damn awesome. For one simple thing, it'll mean more movies like Finding Nemo and the Incredibles and less Chicken Little and Home on the Range. Now yeah, I'm not being too fair considering I haven't seen those latter films but considering overall reactions of the films, I think to even people who HAVE seen them will agree.

This could mean that the Disney version of Toy Story 3 will in fact become a "Pixar" production (as in original staff and whatnot).

I also have to admit the thought of the 2D Animation unit staying alive with someone from Pixar running it is fantastic news. Currently they've just been using the Animation studios for very simple "Franchise" flicks and sequels (I have to say their Animation studio in Australia does some pretty slick work). But the thought of seeing something NEW from the minds of Pixar would be great. Hell, I'm all for a new Fantasia (really the only Disney film that was ever meant to get multiple sequels; Just got the Fantasia Anthology a while back ^.^)

And of all things I have to mention Kingdom Hearts. Not only does this rest the whole "Isn't Toy Story Owned by Disney?"/"I want to see the Incredibles in KHII" debates. But now the thought of a movie/series done by "Disney" doesn't seem too bad with Pixar running the show.

Many thanks for the news, Eric.

talbaineric
6220th Post

"Re(2):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Wed 25 Jan 10:25post reply

quote:
Many thanks for the news, Eric.

No probs Cain. ^_^
You got the Fantasia anthology? I never knew there was such a thing. X_X

quote:
This could mean that the Disney version of Toy Story 3 will in fact become a "Pixar" production (as in original staff and whatnot).

Might wanna rephrase that. Now that Disney owns everything Pixar, it's actually now purely a Disney production.

And yeah, fair enough. HoTR was blah. Maybe it would've been a good release like back in the 80's. And I haven't seen CL yet, so I can't comment on that. Nemo was an overhyped piece of crap and I didn't like it, the Incredibles were much better.

I wouldn't care for Pixar worlds in KH3 (if there will be one). They'd seem out of place for some reason.

The only good live-action is coming from Disney's Touchstone Pictures to be honest. Maybe with Pixar now officially a part of the Mouse, maybe Jobs will get rid of those damn "Disney Channel Circle of Stars". Woot!

sabo10
1313th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Wed 25 Jan 10:52post reply

Pixar sonned!

Undead Fred
2628th Post

"Re(1):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Wed 25 Jan 11:49post reply

quote:
History has been made today in the animation business

Sadness. I have that clip of Al Pacino from the Godfather playing in my head... "Every time I try to get out, they PULL ME BACK IN!"

aderack
216th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Wed 25 Jan 17:31post reply

In case anyone hasn't noticed, what this means is that Steve Jobs essentially owns Disney. Considering the way he's been running hs other companies lately, and considering the joke that Disney's been for the last ten years, that doesn't seem like a bad thing.

Dr Baghead
3554th Post

"Disney buys Pixar: but Pixar is in control!" , posted Wed 25 Jan 17:53post reply

quote:
In case anyone hasn't noticed, what this means is that Steve Jobs essentially owns Disney. Considering the way he's been running hs other companies lately, and considering the joke that Disney's been for the last ten years, that doesn't seem like a bad thing.

Not only does Steve Jobs basically own Disney (which it's speculated he will offically soon, he's very likely going to have Apple buy it out) his Pixar staff pretty much runs Disney Animation now! John Lasetter is the 'Chief Creative Officer' of Disney Studios and what's not to like about that, and he understands the importance of story

I can't wait to see what happens, on paper this is very exciting. I just hope Jobs knows upgrading a best selling item over and over only works with iPods and not Direct to Video movies (oh, I'm sure he does... but if doesn't it's more of the same!)

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

talbaineric
6222th Post

"Re(1):Disney buys Pixar: but Pixar is in cont" , posted Wed 25 Jan 22:30:post reply

quote:

Not only does Steve Jobs basically own Disney (which it's speculated he will offically soon, he's very likely going to have Apple buy it out) his Pixar staff pretty much runs Disney Animation now! John Lasetter is the 'Chief Creative Officer' of Disney Studios and what's not to like about that, and he understands the importance of story

I can't wait to see what happens, on paper this is very exciting. I just hope Jobs knows upgrading a best selling item over and over only works with iPods and not Direct to Video movies (oh, I'm sure he does... but if doesn't it's more of the same!)

If he's supposed to be running it, then where does that leave new CEO Robert Iger?

I'm only aware that he known has a prominent place among Disney shareholders is all. *knows nothing of business*

Oh and *edit* got this from Animated News:

David Stainton leaving Walt Disney Feature Animation

As a result of Disney's acquiring Pixar, David Stainton is leaving Walt Disney Feature Animation, an e-mail notice sent to the studio's employees reveals. In his notification, the former president of the animation division is quick to point out that Disney's buying Pixar "is not about a lack of confidence by Bob [Iger] and Dick [Cook] in what we are doing." Likewise, Stainton mentions that his departure from Disney animation will be executed quickly, acknowleding that Ed Catmull and John Lasseter are ready to begin their new roles at Disney. The e-mail in its entirety may be read at CGHAR.

This is kind of exciting a bit. The thought of Lasseter now being charge of Disney's Feature Animation is promising. Kind of sad Stainton's leaving but I guess it's time to start a new era.

And before he joined them again in the purchase of Pixar, didn't Lasseter once work for Disney?

[this message was edited by talbaineric on Wed 25 Jan 22:36]

Undead Fred
2633th Post

"Re(2):Disney buys Pixar: but Pixar is in cont" , posted Wed 25 Jan 22:49:post reply

quote:
And before he joined them again in the purchase of Pixar, didn't Lasseter once work for Disney?

I wasn't sure and looked it up... looks like he worked for Disney and Lucasfilm earlier.

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Wed 25 Jan 22:50]

OmegaDog
1570th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Wed 25 Jan 23:40:post reply

quote:
To be honest, I didn't want this to happen. As a newfound Disney fan, I'm not sure what to make of it. Disney's always been the coup-de-grand of the animation world. However, Pixar will bring even more to the table and I'm sure John Lasseter will help Disney Feature Animation even more now. This will prove fruitful I'm sure.

There would be more of a problem if Eisner were to currently have the same level of power in Disney that he had before. But, given that Iger (or, at least, not-Eisner) is at the reins now, and seeing the positions Jobs and Lasseter will hold within Disney, I'm for it.

Man... it's still odd to see Pixar now and compare it to how it was. I remember, back when I was in the fifth grade and still in the Bay Area, an animator from Pixar (I think it was Pete Docter) came to talk to the fifth grade class about computer animation. I had missed most of it, as I was taking care of something else outside the classroom there -- but I at least caught the end of it and thought it was pretty cool. I came home, told my then-in-seventh-grade brother about it, and he decided would do a needed school report on them. So he called them, and they accepted to do a small sort of interview. We went there, and Pete Docter (here I'm sure) showed us around their much-smaller offices. At that point, they were in progress on two commercials -- a Listerine commercial where a bottle was vine-swinging through a jungle, and a LifeSavers Holes commercial where they were all on the beach.

Was a pretty awesome experience. For a while, because of it, I was dead set on being a computer animator when I grew up. I kept watching a tape of three Pixar shorts (Tin Toy, Luxo Jr., and Red's Dream), which we checked out from a local library, over and over and over, and I'd run to the TV every time a computer-animated commercial or short came up. And I kept begging my dad to buy expensive 3D rendering software (though, thinking about it now, I don't know how well it would've worked on a 486DX2-66 with 32 MB RAM). Given that the packages were several hundred dollars, he (reasonably) never accepted.

The career interest passed several years after -- but I still look back on that whole visit and say, "Man -- that was pretty cool."

"So... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY!" || CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Wed 25 Jan 23:50]

Ishmael
2356th Post

"Re(2):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Thu 26 Jan 04:27post reply

If nothing else this means that the studio that Disney was threatening to create to produce scab Pixar sequels is, thankfully, dead in the water.

talbaineric
6222th Post

"Re(3):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Thu 26 Jan 05:42post reply

Jim Hill Media ran an article today, and like me,expressing more concerns then fanfare. He actually takes Disney's side on this new acquisition, the price tag Disney paid Pixar and the control factor.

Undead Fred
2634th Post

"Re(3):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Thu 26 Jan 06:58post reply

quote:
If nothing else this means that the studio that Disney was threatening to create to produce scab Pixar sequels is, thankfully, dead in the water.

Actually, you have a point. Hopefully that Toy Story 3 scab sequel won't end up happening for one... and there won't be any straight-to-DVD Monsters Inc. 4's or Bug's Life 3's. So at least that's good.

I was just disappointed at first because I was hoping to see Pixar break free of any Disney influence, but since they seem to more or less be taking control of Disney at this point, I guess it's not so bad. Maybe they'll finally bring some respect back to Disney since Eisner's pretty much out of the picture.

Dr Baghead
3556th Post

"Re(4):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Sat 28 Jan 16:29post reply

quote:
Hopefully that Toy Story 3 scab sequel won't end up happening for one...

It's offically dead now!!!

Not that there probably won't be a Toy Story 3 (Pixar had an idea for TS3 they scrapped when Disney told them flat out sequels didn't count as part of the 5 movie deal so if they made it they'd still owe them 1 or 2 after it) but at least it'll be done by the people who SHOULD be making it, with a proper story and budget.

aderack
219th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Sat 28 Jan 19:39:post reply

quote:
Maybe they'll finally bring some respect back to Disney since Eisner's pretty much out of the picture.

The point exactly. After a decade of incompetence, someone's in control who knows what animation's about. And don't think that Pixar's only about computer animation. Remember that Lasseter was basically the big factor in getting Disney to acquire and release the Ghibli catalog -- which is now finally completing its run on DVD.

Won't be surprised if this situation will help patch things up with ol' Roy, and we'll see some new and fresh plans for traditional cel animation again. Heck, imagine Disney relevant again. Imagine them being more than a dusty old bin of overexposed icons, rotated out for the fetish value every few years. Imagine them actually pushing the boundaries of animation again.

Not implausible at this juncture. Just need to ditch the old guard and instate some people with ideas and joy to work with.

[this message was edited by aderack on Sat 28 Jan 19:42]

talbaineric
6223th Post

"Re(5):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Sun 29 Jan 01:46post reply

I think what they need to do is not release a movie every year. There's already too much competition in the animation field these days. They should wait like every couple of years or so like Pixar used to do.

Undead Fred
2639th Post

"Re(5):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Sun 29 Jan 16:36post reply

quote:
The point exactly. After a decade of incompetence, someone's in control who knows what animation's about. And don't think that Pixar's only about computer animation. Remember that Lasseter was basically the big factor in getting Disney to acquire and release the Ghibli catalog -- which is now finally completing its run on DVD.
Oh, trust me, I know. That's why I was afraid of what would happen to Pixar at first- I knew they value animation and don't buy into the "HAY FUK 2D ITS OLD AND STOOPIED" mentality going around. I had read the buyout as Disney eating up Pixar and water down their style and creative skills instead of Pixar basically getting control of Disney and improving them instead. And yeah, I saw the little featurette before Spirited Away featuring Lasseter talking about Miyazaki's work, and I've seen Lasseter's old college work with a little lamp in a lamp store using hand-drawn animation. So I had definitely gotten the impression that Pixar has a deep respect for all animation, whether it's CG or not.

So yeah, I think this is a lot better news than I had originally thought.

Dr Baghead
3557th Post

"Re(6):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Sun 29 Jan 18:43post reply

Random thought!

Anyone remember "Prince of Egypt" from back when Dreamworks wanted to make a name for itself and had to make a good movie rather then one about an urban fish shopping at "Sharker Image" then drinking a "Coca-Coral"

Maybe once Pixar reforms Disney, Dreamworks will have to shape up too!!! Because what does Dreamworks have planned?!

-Shrek 3
-Shrek 4
-Puss in Boots Direct to Video Feature
-Shrek X-Mas Short
-Shark Tales 2
-Madagascar 2

I know they probably won't change since if it makes money it's good enough (I mean fuck, 'Hoodwinked 2'?! Proof there's either no God or if there is he's a cruel spitefull asshole), but wouldn't it be great if one studio returning to quality forced others to as well?!

Grave
933th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Sun 29 Jan 20:47post reply

quote:
a Listerine commercial where a bottle was vine-swinging through a jungle

I remember that ad very clearly... Cool Mint Listerine, with Baltimora's Tarzan Boy. No idea that Pixar did it. Interesting bit of trivia.

OmegaDog
1574th Post

"Re(5):Historic: Disney buys Pixar" , posted Mon 30 Jan 01:58post reply

quote:
[On the topic of Toy Story 3]

It's offically dead now!!!

Yes indeed.

Dr Baghead
3558th Post

"BEST ANIMATED FEATURE OSCAR NOMINATIONS!!!" , posted Wed 1 Feb 17:04post reply

Thought this would be the place to but this since it's semi-related to the above. Best Animated Feature Nominations are:

-Howl's Moving Castle
-Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the WereRabbit
-The Corpse Bride

HOORAY! all three are non-3D all three are character/story driven! None of them are Madagascar, Chicken Little, or Hoodwinked!!! And for once it doesn't seem like one was added just to fill up the list, they all deserve the award.

Whoever wins we don't lose!!!

OmegaDog
1576th Post

"Re(1):BEST ANIMATED FEATURE OSCAR NOMINATIONS" , posted Sun 5 Feb 17:18post reply

quote:
Whoever wins we don't lose!!!

Awesome news. It was always frustrating, seeing a relatively-cruddy animated movie nominated for an Oscar just to fill up spots, only to have that movie be advertised later as if it received that distinction justifyingly.

pointman_4000
24th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):BEST ANIMATED FEATURE OSCAR NOMINATIONS" , posted Sun 5 Feb 20:46post reply

The wapanese anime fanb0i in me wants Howl's Moving Castle to win the Oscar. The Aardman/British comedy fan in me wants Wallace and Gromit to win the Oscar. Teh rest of me wants Corspe Bride to crawl in a hole and die.

[-OO]----///////////////////