SFA on PS2 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2624 Views )

Ishmael
2354th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 05:58post reply

IGN reports that Street Fighter Alpha Anthology is coming to the US. In addition to the Alpha games Pocket Fighter is being tossed in just because.

Replies:

Maou
763th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 06:05post reply

Kinda cool, though "direct arcade ports" is a shame for Zero 3 since the home version is SO much better, what with the world warrior (or whatever it was) mode, tag team battle, and extra charas. I'd be glad to have a good copy of Zero 2 finally, since the PS version was terrible and I never owned a Saturn.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Evenor
276th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 06:15post reply

quote:
Kinda cool, though "direct arcade ports" is a shame for Zero 3 since the home version is SO much better, what with the world warrior (or whatever it was) mode, tag team battle, and extra charas. I'd be glad to have a good copy of Zero 2 finally, since the PS version was terrible and I never owned a Saturn.

I agree.

The only reason why I'll buy this is for the "direct port" of Zero 2.

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

exodus
3231th Post

"Re(3):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 06:27post reply

bleh - what about alpha 2 gold? they should be porting the saturn versions of these, dammit! good thing I've got em already.

Maou
764th Post

"Re(4):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 06:41post reply

quote:
bleh - what about alpha 2 gold? they should be porting the saturn versions of these, dammit! good thing I've got em already.

Yeah, it's amazing how much effort Capcom, Konami, Sega et al seem to go to in order to never quite make a truly complete anthology...something key is always missing, like Sonic CD or SFZero2Alpha, or whatever. Baffling, when a full EVERY ROCKMAN EVER set, Dracula anthology (so much for Chronicles) or a Street Fighter complete would generate so much more fevor/sales than half-assing it.

exodus
3232th Post

"Re(5):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 07:04post reply

ah, whoops. gold's in it. welllllllllllll I'm still irate for various reasons!!

Maou
766th Post

"Re(6):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 07:10:post reply

quote:
ah, whoops. gold's in it. welllllllllllll I'm still irate for various reasons!!

Yeah, but I guess it's the arcade version of Zero2Alpha/Gold instead of the home version, which I assume had even more stuff than the arcade beef-up?

PS: it is always okay to be irate.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 25 Jan 07:13]

VManOfMana
644th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 07:32post reply

quote:

From a hardcore Alpha player a direct arcade port is much better because the home versions always were inperfect in terms of gameplay: hitboxes, character size, balance, V-ism combos, etc.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

Shin_ATproof
1211th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 08:52post reply

I getting this simply for the SFZ2 games...they are really the only SF games I truly cared for outside of SSF2T and 3rStrike.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

YeldellGW
501th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 09:33post reply

Somehow, I'm not the least bit surprised another SF collection makes it to the states, no matter how half-assed it is.

Sure would be nice if some other Capcom fighters got as much love as SF.

talbaineric
6219th Post

"Re(5):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 09:36post reply

Damn, another rehashing? I've grown Alpha weary already. You can only package the game so many ways (with the upcoming SFA3 for PSP and the not to long ago release for the GBA) Man, I wish Capcom would get off their lazy asses and just make a new SF game. Damn, they've lost my respect long ago.

TALBAINANDCAMMY.COM! Celebrating 3 years of T&C Fanship.
My Deviantart place! TE loves Deviantart!

Just a Person
757th Post

"Re(2):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 12:06post reply

quote:

Didn't Capcom release in Japan an Arcade game named SFA3 Upper, which basically had all the characters from the PSX/Saturn/DC versions, but without the other game modes (World Tour, Dramatic Battle, etc.)??
Maybe there's a chance that this compilation gets SFA3's special version, after all. If they can add SFA2 Gold (which didn't have so many changes, after all), why couldn't they add SFA3 Upper??

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Burning Ranger
1363th Post

"Re(4):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 12:14post reply

quote:
I getting this simply for the SFZ2 games...they are really the only SF games I truly cared for outside of SSF2T and 3rStrike.

I probably would get it for SFZ2 too, but it strikes me as odd that they would include the arcade version of Z3 but not the PSone version, since there seems to be some consensus that this is the best port (short of the Saturn version). Hell, I think Capcom should consider putting Double Upper on the compilation just for completeness sake.

Anyway, given SFAC's popularity on Xbox, I wonder if Capcom would make this compilation on the X360, complete with Xbox Live support. It'd probably induce a lot of Capcom fans to buy the console.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

Spoon
1272th Post

"Re(5):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 13:19post reply

quote:

I probably would get it for SFZ2 too, but it strikes me as odd that they would include the arcade version of Z3 but not the PSone version, since there seems to be some consensus that this is the best port (short of the Saturn version). Hell, I think Capcom should consider putting Double Upper on the compilation just for completeness sake.

Anyway, given SFAC's popularity on Xbox, I wonder if Capcom would make this compilation on the X360, complete with Xbox Live support. It'd probably induce a lot of Capcom fans to buy the console.

I wonder how the business logic works...

Gamers amazingly unite in purpose and refuse to buy collection -> awful sales encourage Capcom to never again release a fighting game collection.

Gamers amazing unite in purpose and refuse to buy collection -> awful sales encourage Capcom to put out a better product next time.

It'd be really funny if one day they did something like Darkstalkers/SF Collection for SFA where you could select not merely an -Ism but an entire set of game engine rules from one of the games for your character. You could have the chain comboing of SFA, or the demented custom combos of SFA2, or the demented custom combos of SFA3...

CHAZumaru
337th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 21:02:post reply

quote:

Didn't Capcom release in Japan an Arcade game named SFA3 Upper, which basically had all the characters from the PSX/Saturn/DC versions, but without the other game modes (World Tour, Dramatic Battle, etc.)??
Maybe there's a chance that this compilation gets SFA3's special version, after all. If they can add SFA2 Gold (which didn't have so many changes, after all), why couldn't they add SFA3 Upper??

The issue is that SFZ3↑ was released on Naomi because based on the Dreamcast version, hence being quite different from the original arcade version and mostly receiving hate and complains from the arcade crowd. Doing the game on Naomi was good business sense, but it would have probably been better to port the saturn version on ST-V, since it was the best port in the first place.

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!

[this message was edited by CHAZumaru on Wed 25 Jan 23:35]

Guillaume
6th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 22:23post reply

As much as I hate the SFZero series, the announcement of a good port of Pocket Fighter brings me joy and happiness.

CHAZumaru
336th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):SFA on PS2" , posted Wed 25 Jan 23:29post reply

quote:
As much as I hate the SFZero series, the announcement of a good port of Pocket Fighter brings me joy and happiness.

Guillaume, whenever you get to talk to Iggy, could you ask him whenever he thinks he'll have the internet and MSN back at his new place?

Arngrim
65th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):SFA on PS2" , posted Thu 26 Jan 01:16post reply

Just my opinion, but I found Pocket Fighter awesome when it was released.

I'm glad to see a port for PS2.

It's a pity Capcom is that lazy (or should I saly uninterested?) about their fighting games nowadays.

I've always thought they should have made a decent sequel for Pocket Fighter instead of that crappy Fighting Jam. Ingrid would have been a good main character as Tessa was in the former one.

-Death!!!... but in this place there is no happiness.-

shin ramberk
233th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):SFA on PS2" , posted Thu 26 Jan 01:30post reply

It is cool that they are releasing this compilation. I also wish this was a pick your game engine and version of the character like in SFAC and Vampire compilations. I like the SFA2 engine a lot more then the SFA3 engine but oh well. Its definitely cool this is coming out.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Ishmael
2357th Post

"Re(3):SFA on PS2" , posted Thu 26 Jan 04:45post reply

quote:
I probably would get it for SFZ2 too, but it strikes me as odd that they would include the arcade version of Z3 but not the PSone version, since there seems to be some consensus that this is the best port (short of the Saturn version).

Er, then why not wish for the Saturn version?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there has never been an arcade perfect version of A3 released yet, has there? The PSX version had dropped animation, changed hit boxes and so on so that it was pretty much a different game. I haven't spent as much time with the quite nice Saturn port but at the very least with the additional characters the tier rankings could have been different from the arcade, causing people who fret about that sort of thing to stay up nights with worry. Without the added extras this may be the version of A3 that arcade fans have been waiting for.

Also, were the voices for the intros and endings in Pocket Fighters in the arcade version or were they added for the Saturn port? It's been so long since I played the arcade version that I can't remember.

quote:

Guillaume, whenever you get to talk to Iggy, could you ask him whenever he thinks he'll have the internet and MSN back at his new place?

I haven't seen that character in years and I don't even remember what it's from but I do have some sort of memory of it from when I was a child. Then again, it's hard to forget something as crazy-ass looking as that.

CHAZumaru
337th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):SFA on PS2" , posted Thu 26 Jan 06:13post reply

quote:

I haven't seen that character in years and I don't even remember what it's from but I do have some sort of memory of it from when I was a child. Then again, it's hard to forget something as crazy-ass looking as that.

And there I thought you were speaking about Iggy... Then again, maybe you were.

They're the arcade versions because it's cheap to program (and even cheaper to buy over) an emulator and simply put the ROMs on the DVD. Consider yourself happy that they did not simply repackage the Playstation versions like they did with Capcom Collection.

Burning Ranger
1364th Post

"Re(4):SFA on PS2" , posted Thu 26 Jan 09:32post reply

quote:
I probably would get it for SFZ2 too, but it strikes me as odd that they would include the arcade version of Z3 but not the PSone version, since there seems to be some consensus that this is the best port (short of the Saturn version).

Er, then why not wish for the Saturn version?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there has never been an arcade perfect version of A3 released yet, has there? The PSX version had dropped animation, changed hit boxes and so on so that it was pretty much a different game. I haven't spent as much time with the quite nice Saturn port but at the very least with the additional characters the tier rankings could have been different from the arcade, causing people who fret about that sort of thing to stay up nights with worry. Without the added extras this may be the version of A3 that arcade fans have been waiting for.

I'm being realistic. In a perfect world, Capcom should go to the best version available/most complete version available and put that in the compilation. However, that's not the case. Consider Megaman Anniversary Collection, which included Megaman 8. The Saturn version of MM8 is considered the most complete version of the game (I call it the 'definitive' version). You would think it would be smart to include the definitive version in a collection. Instead, the PS version of MM8 was the version incorporated in MMAC. This was probably done because it was easier to put the PS version, since the programmers probably found a way to take advantage of the built-in PS1 backward compatibility. It was also probably convenient for them to include the PS version in the GC and Xbox version of MMAC since PS emulation is easier than Saturn emulation. Plus, there was probably some political shenanigans that kept Saturn emulation off the PS2 MMAC.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

crazymike
1202th Post

"Re(5):SFA on PS2" , posted Thu 26 Jan 13:45post reply

Well I own all 3 Alphas for PSX but instead I just play the roms on my Xbox and get to mess around with dipswitches and such.

I know Capcom wants people like me to be "ethical" and rebuy these games but I need something in the package to convince me to buy it. I'd kill for say, an option to play Alpha 3 characters in the SFA 2 engine since I found that game superior anyway in every aspect, gameplay, backgrounds, music, story, etc.

Maese Spt
141th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):SFA on PS2" , posted Thu 26 Jan 18:34post reply

quote:
Just my opinion, but I found Pocket Fighter awesome when it was released.

I'm glad to see a port for PS2.

I've always thought they should have made a decent sequel for Pocket Fighter instead of that crappy Fighting Jam. Ingrid would have been a good main character as Tessa was in the former one.

Seconded.

"At his coming the gods themselves are put to flight and the Buddhas vanish"

Ultima
435th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):SFA on PS2" , posted Tue 31 Jan 22:15post reply

> > I probably would get it for SFZ2 too, but it strikes me as odd that they would include the arcade version of Z3 but not the PSone version, since there seems to be some consensus that this is the best port (short of the Saturn version).

> Er, then why not wish for the Saturn version?

Indeed.

IN addition to direct arcade ports of SFZ, SFZ2, SFZ2A, and SFZ3, to complete the package there should be at least one home port of Z3, since it's so much more complete than the arcade version. However, it would be absolutely retarded of them to use the PSX version, since that was not only altered considerably but also had load times (if it's a PSX port, you know they would just use the PS2's PSX emulation to run it, just like they did with SF2 in Capcom Collection). Really, the best home version of Z3 is the Saturn version, no questions asked, and it would be stupid of them not to include it.

BUt of course, since this is Capcom and Capcom hates the fans, they're probably not going to do it - they'll either throw in one of the other shittier versions or not include it at all. True, it's not necessary if all you're considering is the arcade versions, but there's no port of the home version of Z3 on any modern system (PS2 version running PS1 port certainly doesn't count), and even Dark Stalkers had hidden versions of the later games that included all characters, just like their home ports.

I would like to see the Saturn version of Z3; if not, at least Zero 3 (Double?) Upper. But Saturn Z3 please. I'd like to retire my Saturn version.

--
Ultima - The Right arm of Scrub Voltron
http://uramble.com/index.html - U's Rambling Page

Ishmael
2369th Post

"Screenshots" , posted Thu 2 Feb 23:30post reply

Pictures up at The Magic Box show Dramatic Battle is included in SFA3. The question of what versions of the games are going to be included continues.

Moo
15th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Screenshots" , posted Fri 3 Feb 01:02post reply

quote:
Pictures up at The Magic Box show Dramatic Battle is included in SFA3. The question of what versions of the games are going to be included continues.

The arcade version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 had Dramatic Battle.

Ishmael
2370th Post

"Re(2):Screenshots" , posted Fri 3 Feb 01:15post reply

quote:
The arcade version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 had Dramatic Battle.

Thanks for the correction, I had forgotten about that.

Spoon
1281th Post

"Re(1):Screenshots" , posted Fri 3 Feb 10:11post reply

quote:

Here's something to think about.
The lifebars for the SFA3 shots don't show a gradient. The console versions have a gradient, the original arcade one doesn't.

Spoon
1282th Post

"Re(1):Screenshots" , posted Fri 3 Feb 10:11post reply

quote:

Here's something to think about.
The lifebars for the SFA3 shots don't show a gradient. The console versions have a gradient, the original arcade one doesn't.