chaos field - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1842 Views )

exodus
3223th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"chaos field" , posted Sun 22 Jan 13:47post reply

dunno if you all noticed, but chaos field came out on the GC in the US. The port is fine, nothing added from the japanese release that I know of. The game itself is rather mediocre, has half-decent music, but is still somewhat enjoyable to play. I mostly considered it worth my $30 because not many shooters come out these days, though they could've picked a better one.

Any questions about it?

Replies:

deisied
384th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):chaos field" , posted Sun 22 Jan 19:12post reply

Heh, my sentiments exactly. I just picked it up too. I only had time to throw it around for a few minutes last night, though. I can tell there's...something going for it but yeah it's not gonna be my favorite shooter.

I don't really get it yet, though. I was hoping to just read something at GameFAQs and go from there, but I should've known better, I suppose.

But uh, you have the three stocks, and that charge bar thing on the left. You pick up the stuff to fill up the charge bar and that lets you use the L-trigger target lasers, and the B-button defensive options, I guess. The only thing I ever really read about the Chaos Field itself was in some preview a bit back, so I guess my main question would just be what's the damn deal between switching between chaos and order, heh. I know your firepower goes up, and I think your charge bar thing on the left is infinite, but I'm sure there's a downside I'm forgetting too. Like, the sword doesn't destroy bullets anymore, maybe.

Also, what does the R-Trigger circular target looking thing do? These are probably in the manual, but I rented it off of Gamefly and then intended to buy it from there, so I don't have it yet.

Anyway, one thing I noticed is that even though the game has somewhat strong loading overall (it's a Gamecube game) it's kinda weird how the loading is distributed. Like, there's an odd delay when you die, and when you reload a character from a continue. And if you SWITCH a character from a continue it's a few seconds worth of loading. Pretty odd feeling for a shooter. Actually, it's a pretty cut and dry game from a lot of what I saw. Not very cohesive at all. But I guess it gets the job done.

If I recall, Extend mode is just that they add a more old-school feel by giving you some extra ships to shoot up in between the mid-boss things, right? Doesn't seem to add a lot to the experience. Sorta funny to me since they had to design all those ships and such just for them to be sorta mindlessly brushed aside in a few seconds as you move on to exactly what you would've been doing anyway.

All in all: this game has crappy character designs.

pointman_4000
19th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):chaos field" , posted Sun 22 Jan 21:33post reply

I've been thinking about getting this game, mainly because I was a big fan of rRootage and a console boss-shooter seemed awesome, but it doesn't look terribly good from the videos I've seen.

[-OO]----///////////////////

deisied
385th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):chaos field" , posted Mon 23 Jan 12:13post reply

Heh, yeah it's pretty funny. rR probably beats this game fairly hard, somehow.

Rid
6984th Post

"Re(4):chaos field" , posted Mon 23 Jan 12:24:post reply

I had the opportunity to play it (if it's the same game from Dreamcast), it's not really worth your money. Somehow pointless and dull, it just isn't "fun". Better spend it on any shmup you've missed like Shikigami no Shiro II, Giga Wing 2, Border Down or Zero Gunner 2... heck, I had way more fun with noiz2sa.

[this message was edited by Rid on Mon 23 Jan 12:25]

jiji
157th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):chaos field" , posted Mon 23 Jan 15:32post reply

All of the basics of play and scoring are covered in detail here: Rink_Here

I got this, too, and I like it - I think. There are some things I don't like, like how low the volume of the sound effects is, with no option to change it, and how little feedback you seem to get when you die (sometimes I barely notice).

I think it's a pretty decent game, but there's something about it...I dunno, like I'll end up hating it if I really try to put apply myself to doing well at it. It connects the dots well enough, but there's something missing. The music is great, though.

Rajirugi looks much improved over this.

deisied
386th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):chaos field" , posted Mon 23 Jan 16:42post reply

Aha! Thank you sir. It seems I was confusing myself with the Wing-Layers for some reason by switching around the characters too much.

Got it, then. The Chaos Field itself is somewhat more shallow of a system than I thought, but oh well. Decent.

Maou
759th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):chaos field" , posted Tue 24 Jan 02:32post reply

Keeping up with my pattern of asking about art in threads I don't know about: jiji, what's that 'yuuko' pic from? Looks pretty.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

exodus
3224th Post

"Re(7):chaos field" , posted Tue 24 Jan 02:59post reply

quote:
Keeping up with my pattern of asking about art in threads I don't know about: jiji, what's that 'yuuko' pic from? Looks pretty.

xxxholic

Rid
6986th Post

"Re(8):chaos field" , posted Tue 24 Jan 03:17post reply

quote:
yuuko
<3<3<3

exodus
3226th Post

"Re(9):chaos field" , posted Tue 24 Jan 05:23post reply

I think she may be rid's ideal woman. she also wears glasses sometimes, which may make it difficult for him to keep his pants on.

Just guessing.

Maou
760th Post

"Re(10):chaos field" , posted Tue 24 Jan 06:14post reply

Thanks, the art looks great! And laughs from the description of the American Amazon.com copy: "This book should greatly appeal to teens, especially those with a goth bent." Ooops.

exodus
3227th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):chaos field" , posted Tue 24 Jan 07:25post reply

quote:
Thanks, the art looks great! And laughs from the description of the American Amazon.com copy: "This book should greatly appeal to teens, especially those with a goth bent." Ooops.

heh...well don't let that dissuade you, it's actually quite nice. I recommend it (as I did to rid, who's now obsessed!)

Maou
761th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):chaos field" , posted Tue 24 Jan 09:33post reply

No worries about the description, I just thought it was hilarious how unintentionally damning it was! I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestions.

highlandcattle
57th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):chaos field" , posted Tue 31 Jan 03:59post reply

The popcorn enemies in the extend mode are there to keep the chain alive,making it easier. This is a score game based on chaining it isn't a bullet dodger keep that in mind befor you judge

my blog: http://www.livejournal.com/users/highlandcattle /