Heyyyy Houston/Texas people.... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2235 Views )

Pollyanna
1589th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Thu 12 Jan 16:40post reply

In case you didn't already know, we have a nice new arcade on Westheimer @ Shadowbriar/Royal Oaks in Houston.

Erm...here's the webpage, though there's not much there.
http://www.planet-zero.com

It's nice and stylish. They have snacks, Mok-kos, and good fighting games. I was waiting until they got KOFXI to mention them and they got it...erm...last week, I think. They're having a tournament this Saturday around 9:00 PM, I believe.

I'd hate to see them fail, so I feel obligated to tell everyone.

If you see a girl with blushed cheeks, pink strips in her hair and big boobs, it's not me. I'm also not the lanky guy with the receding hairline and the moustache.

Oh, and they're kinda across the street from 24 Hour Fitness and next to Double Dave's Pizza, if that helps.

Replies:

catalyst
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 01:39:post reply

quote:
In case you didn't already know, we have a nice new arcade on Westheimer @ Shadowbriar/Royal Oaks in Houston.

It's nice and stylish. They have snacks, Mok-kos, and good fighting games. I was waiting until they got KOFXI to mention them and they got it...erm...last week, I think. They're having a tournament this Saturday around 9:00 PM, I believe.

If you see a girl with blushed cheeks, pink strips in her hair and big boobs, it's not me. I'm also not the lanky guy with the receding hairline and the moustache.

Oh, and they're kinda across the street from 24 Hour Fitness and next to Double Dave's Pizza, if that helps.

Lol actually one of my friends owns that place,
I was going to mention this but my friends younger sister was going to invite me to an exclusive opening party that was just friends only and my friend saw KOF XI and I really had to see it for myself to believe it, not that I don't trust my friend but hes usually tired but hey Polly if your there i'd be glad to meet you up sometime!

[this message was edited by catalyst on Fri 13 Jan 01:40]

exodus
3214th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 02:53post reply

quote:

If you see a girl with blushed cheeks, pink strips in her hair and big boobs, it's not me.

I just saw you in san francisco. How'd you get out here?

You should come out for GDC. I only know one girl that's good at fighting games, and she's rather desperate for a same-gender opponent.

Mav
124th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 04:39post reply

quote:

You should come out for GDC. I only know one girl that's good at fighting games, and she's rather desperate for a same-gender opponent.

Girl on girl action!

CHAZumaru
326th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 06:37post reply

quote:

That was your bluntest Pollybait ever, B.

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!

exodus
3216th Post

"Re(3):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 07:27post reply

quote:

might as well, got to get her back somehow!

Pollyanna
1594th Post

"Re(3):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 07:43post reply

quote:

No no no, you got it all wrong. You see, Brandon knows I'm really a man, and he's just saying these things to insult my masculinity. It's quite clever, really.

I'm working the day of the tournament, so I don't think I'll be making it (I might get off in time....). I predict that it will be won by an asian guy with no personality and an iPod. These guys are like...a class (like archer, paladin, KOF tournament winner). They either seem indifferent or unhappy (NEVER like they're having fun) and they trample all competition.

CHAZumaru
327th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 08:09post reply

quote:

Brandon knows I'm really a man, and he's just saying these things to insult my masculinity.

And Brandon's mom insulted mine. I wish I was kidding. It's like a family business.

exodus
3217th Post

"Re(5):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 08:18post reply

quote:

And Brandon's mom insulted mine. I wish I was kidding. It's like a family business.

At least she didn't say you were an ugly girl - she thought you were very pretty!

CHAZumaru
328th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 08:27post reply

To be honest I think that, excluding comments on my cooking or mating skills, being qualified as a pretty girl is the nicest compliment any woman ever told me.

kurushimi
117th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 09:58post reply

quote:

I predict that it will be won by an asian guy with no personality and an iPod. These guys are like...a class (like archer, paladin, KOF tournament winner). They either seem indifferent or unhappy (NEVER like they're having fun) and they trample all competition.

I don't know about the ipod part - if it was a girl maybe, but we tend to stick to cheaper alternatives. Spot on about the lack of personality though!

(I don't fit this category since I actually am terrible at fighting games, and make self-deprecating jokes instead)

Pollyanna
1595th Post

"Re(5):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 10:23post reply

quote:

I don't know about the ipod part - if it was a girl maybe, but we tend to stick to cheaper alternatives.

My mistake. I was using iPod like people use "Coke" for "soda". I should have said "MP3 player".

Guys like that wouldn't bother me if they would ever smile. They just...really don't look like they're having fun. Like it's a chore to be there and the people playing against them are just SO below them. I don't know what those guys want.

Maybe I should be really loud and outgoing and talk to them to catch them off guard.

Mav
127th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 10:36:post reply

quote:
Maybe I should be really loud and outgoing and talk to them to catch them off guard.

Contact with women makes them break out in a rash.

On a similar personality note, I see this type of person in a few too many fields. It's like this hobby has sucked so much of their life, when it's time to benefit from it, then it's business time.

[this message was edited by Mav on Fri 13 Jan 10:38]

Spoon
1260th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 12:37post reply

quote:

My mistake. I was using iPod like people use "Coke" for "soda". I should have said "MP3 player".

Guys like that wouldn't bother me if they would ever smile. They just...really don't look like they're having fun. Like it's a chore to be there and the people playing against them are just SO below them. I don't know what those guys want.

I'm not exactly sure where you're meeting these people, but then again, I have no idea what kind of asian people hang out in Texas. There aren't many people of the blandness that you describe that are also good at fighting games over here in Vancouver... and in Vancouver, asians practically don't count as an ethnic minority, not to mention the people from the neighbouring city of Richmond, which seems dominated by asians.

But then, maybe he was surrounded by creepy white guys with receding hairlines that nobody would want to talk to anyway.

Shooo-rook
20th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 12:41post reply

quote:

Cyborgs sent down from outer space to defeat all 2-d fighting gamers in their way???

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/shibito/croppedart2.jpg [Image Attached]

How many dicks does it take to get to the center of a STD?

catalyst
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 12:45post reply

quote:

I'm not exactly sure where you're meeting these people, but then again, I have no idea what kind of asian people hang out in Texas. There aren't many people of the blandness that you describe that are also good at fighting games over here in Vancouver... and in Vancouver, asians practically don't count as an ethnic minority, not to mention the people from the neighbouring city of Richmond, which seems dominated by asians.

But then, maybe he was surrounded by creepy white guys with receding hairlines that nobody would want to talk to anyway.

I believe polly is speaking of those asians who are too hardcore that they have to look emo apathetic and whatever. Personally I can't stand them, I avoid them. Long as they don't talk trash i'll put everything on the line to keep their mouths shut.

I personally think they are freaking losers with no social skills. Then again I don't count myself with them even though I am asian. Either that or they are trying to pull off some fake hardass look to them that its really laughable.

Burning Ranger
1356th Post

"Re(1):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 13:07post reply

quote:

I wish San Antonio had a decent-enough arcade to have recent games like KOF XI. I had to drive to Austin to play the game at Einstein's Arcade (across the street from the UT Campus). I was talking to a buddy on ON.com and he wanted to invite me back to Austin to play with him and Vishema (who's a damn good KOF player). Heh, I remember back at Ushicon 03 (or was it 02) when there was a KOF tournament with a San Antonio vs Austin thing going on. I want to organize another friendly rivalry match again like that, but with XI (or maybe Neowave *gag*). Still, machines are lacking here in So.Tex.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

Pollyanna
1597th Post

"Re(2):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 15:26post reply

Catalyst seems to know these guys well. My implication is NOT that all or even most asians that play (or don't play) fighting games are like this. This is a strange subculture to me.

But yeah, it's nice to have a good arcade in Texas. It's funny that there's nothing in San Antonio, though. I thought it used to be KOF central there. I guess that was years ago, though...or maybe I was just misinformed.

To-ho-ho...so far, I have a 100% win rate, which does not, in the least, reflect my actual skill level.

KaiketsuZubat
81th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 17:37post reply

quote:
Catalyst seems to know these guys well. My implication is NOT that all or even most asians that play (or don't play) fighting games are like this. This is a strange subculture to me.

But yeah, it's nice to have a good arcade in Texas. It's funny that there's nothing in San Antonio, though. I thought it used to be KOF central there. I guess that was years ago, though...or maybe I was just misinformed.

To-ho-ho...so far, I have a 100% win rate, which does not, in the least, reflect my actual skill level.

Back around when '97 and '98 were out it was quite large here... kind of dulled during 99 but '00 was a rather strong year. San Antonio these days though... sad state of affairs really.. going to the 2 or 3 arcades we have left here is just depressing.

"Waga shougai ni ippen no kuinashi!"

Variable Savior
331th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 17:40:post reply

quote:

Long as they don't talk trash i'll put everything on the line to keep their mouths shut.

Ummm... I am interested in risking everything in order to maintain another's silence but don't quite understand how that would work. Please to be explaining it.

Blood marks heaven's path

[this message was edited by Variable Savior on Fri 13 Jan 17:41]

catalyst
120th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 18:05:post reply

quote:

Long as they don't talk trash i'll put everything on the line to keep their mouths shut.

Ummm... I am interested in risking everything in order to maintain another's silence but don't quite understand how that would work. Please to be explaining it.

I mean simply put by just trying to beat them at their own game of course by talking smack right back if they do and just keeping one's front persay even though I know i'll be suckier than said other person. If not i'm just gonna go along, play, and have fun.

A challenge is a challenge of course, if I know I can't win against them in playing against them oh well might as well give em a hard time trying to put me down . Simply that, nothing too harsh, you didn't think I was gonna slam their head into the joystick did ya?

[this message was edited by catalyst on Fri 13 Jan 18:09]

Spoon
1262th Post

"Re(1):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 18:51post reply

quote:

In the picture of the arcade, one of the cabinets is running Rumble Fish, and I don't mean 2.

I'm already concerned about the wisdom of the people running the arcade.

pointman_4000
16th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 18:53post reply

Arcades? I've heard of those things before. I heard they died off when the Xbox wiped out the dinosaurs.

[-OO]----///////////////////

Pollyanna
1598th Post

"Re(2):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 18:57post reply

quote:

In the picture of the arcade, one of the cabinets is running Rumble Fish, and I don't mean 2.

Funny you mention that.
It's already been replaced with Rumble Fish 2.

Spoon
1263th Post

"Re(3):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Fri 13 Jan 18:58post reply

quote:

Funny you mention that.
It's already been replaced with Rumble Fish 2.

Then life is wonderful.

Hagen de Merak
905th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Sat 14 Jan 19:51post reply

quote:

bonehead post of the week

kofoguz
270th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Sun 15 Jan 06:43post reply

quote:

HEEY!!!
Dont attack POLLY. I like her/him/it.

If its inside joke then go ahead.
*stands alarmed*

Hi Polly.

Gai VS Urien

Pollyanna
1600th Post

"Re(3):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Sun 15 Jan 09:52post reply

quote:
HEEY!!!
Dont attack POLLY. I like her/him/it.

If its inside joke then go ahead.
*stands alarmed*

Hi Polly.

Hiiiii~.
Well, it's his (and JJJ's) job to harrass me. They don't post for months, then they harrass me....then they don't post for months. If there is an inside joke, I'm outside, too. Or maybe the joke is just "Polly sucks".

Either way, I appreciate the sentiment, but it's a waste of time.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3495th Post

"Re(4):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Sun 15 Jan 11:38post reply

quote:
Well, it's his (and JJJ's) job to harrass me.

ahaha don't pull me into your sick game, you narcissistic slut. i didn't post in this thread because i knew you'd say something halfassed like that

anyways, while i'm here, i gave the arcade a chance, went there earlier today. it was pretty cool, but i expected more games for some reason, and the card system kinda sucked. $5 lasted me over an hour, and i wasn't planning on staying any longer than that, but i can't but feel i've been ripped off

i should've tried out Rumble Fish 2 when i first got there. when i was running low on credits, these nerds got on the machine, and i didn't want to waste any more money. i wish at least one of them would've went against me in kof. i was getting bored fighting the computer

Spoon
1265th Post

"Re(5):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Sun 15 Jan 15:16post reply

[quotei should've tried out Rumble Fish 2 when i first got there.

You really should try it sometime.

A place around where I am finally got this game a few weeks ago. It's refreshing to have a new fighting game that is actually pretty good. I think that it's a little too easy to do big damage in the game, but that's totally overrided by the amount of interesting stuff in the game.

Shockingly, a big (40+ players) tournament late last year finished with the impression that Bazoo is the tops in the game, with the top 3 in the singles tourney all being Bazoo. Check out www.ko-hatsu.com for some vids of the madness. Still, some of the Bazoo players in the vid clearly seemed to be able to use the game systems better than some of their competitors, and that to me is heartening.

I'd like to start a RF2 thread, but I'm guessing that only 3 people here, including myself, actually have access to the game.

Evenor
273th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Mon 16 Jan 03:06post reply

quote:
[quotei should've tried out Rumble Fish 2 when i first got there.

You really should try it sometime.

A place around where I am finally got this game a few weeks ago. It's refreshing to have a new fighting game that is actually pretty good. I think that it's a little too easy to do big damage in the game, but that's totally overrided by the amount of interesting stuff in the game.

Shockingly, a big (40+ players) tournament late last year finished with the impression that Bazoo is the tops in the game, with the top 3 in the singles tourney all being Bazoo. Check out www.ko-hatsu.com for some vids of the madness. Still, some of the Bazoo players in the vid clearly seemed to be able to use the game systems better than some of their competitors, and that to me is heartening.

I'd like to start a RF2 thread, but I'm guessing that only 3 people here, including myself, actually have access to the game.

Didnt that one eyed loli character (miko?) break the game?

Bazoo is awesome! That was the first time ive seen him in action.

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

Spoon
1266th Post

"Re(7):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Mon 16 Jan 04:15post reply

quote:

Didnt that one eyed loli character (miko?) break the game?

Bazoo is awesome! That was the first time ive seen him in action.

Mito is far far away from breaking the game. She's just an easy character to play, that's all. A lot of characters seem pretty strong in the game... a bunch have guard crush strings that will do 100% if you don't know how to escape them, and some reportedly have 100% guard crush COMBOS (inescapable without Impact Break or Defense super). I can't think of a 100% guard crush string/combo with Mito that doesn't involve her Boost Dive... you might be able to half-ass one with her overhead special, but anyone with any experience against her should know that mashing throw against that move on block is a pretty safe way to get Mito off you have blocking that.

Pollyanna
1601th Post

"Re(8):Heyyyy Houston/Texas people...." , posted Mon 16 Jan 09:54post reply

RF2 is a bit intimidating. I feel like I'll have to go through too much effort before I can play it properly. Of course, I could play RF1 for a bit to get back in the groove, but that's not really worth it.

Oh, and the arcade has the new Tekken now. Erm...the 5 upgrade.