Yet udiscovered frontiers in Ikaruga. - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5765 Views )

sabo10
1286th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Yet undiscovered frontiers in Ikaruga." , posted Mon 9 Jan 01:21:post reply

There is currently an interesting thread going on at Superplay discussing Ikaruga's Stage 2.

http://www.super-play.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,921.0.html

Stage 2 is interesting because it has two sections with "generators," those barrells that endlessly produce drones.

Unlike other stages, with a more or less fixed number of enemies, where, with enough skill, one can learn a pattern to quickly chain, and eliminate every last one, these generators offer more depth. This is because when you stop killing drones generated, and move on the the next section of the level, the generators will keep generating, meaning there are potentially chains you are missing. The ideal situation is to kill every last drone that comes out until the generator scrolls off the screen. This often requires very tricky use of the homing lasers. This is complicated by the end of the stage, which awards bonus rows for defeating the last set of enemies as quickly as possible. Defeating these enemies quickly, yet milking the the second set of generators for as long as possible offers an interesting conflict.

The highlight of this thread comes when it's discovered that the current world record score for Stage 2 was accomplished long before the Appreciate DVD even came out, and was done by some guy on a farm in Iowa without an internet connection.

The video can be found here.

ttp://ikaruga.co.uk/~snacky/stage2.mpg

[this message was edited by sabo10 on Mon 9 Jan 01:41]

Replies:

CHAZumaru
322th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Yet undiscovered frontiers in Ikaruga." , posted Mon 9 Jan 05:10post reply

Most interesting. May I quote your post on IC's frontppage ?

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!

sabo10
1286th Post

"Re(2):Yet undiscovered frontiers in Ikaruga." , posted Mon 9 Jan 09:17post reply

quote:
Most interesting. May I quote your post on IC's frontppage ?

GO 4 IT

exodus
3201th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Yet undiscovered frontiers in Ikaruga." , posted Mon 9 Jan 15:34post reply

quote:

GO 4 IT

I checked the forum, and it said they're 'temporarily' allowed to host it there...so I figure I'll host it on ic so's it doesn't kill them. If you have any contact there, please tell/ask if that's ok for me?

Also offer that I can host other videos by this MIR farm person.

sabo10
1288th Post

"Re(4):Yet undiscovered frontiers in Ikaruga." , posted Mon 9 Jan 19:07:post reply

Oops, correction, going back and reading the thread more carefully, MIR was in fact, some guy on a farm in Niigata. With the way the posts were worded, I assumed that MIR was a friend of the guy posting in the forum or something.

Here is his website.

ttp://www.geocities.jp/mir_revision/index.html

Don't know how much truth there is to him playing in isolation, but I think he did have better scores than the Appreciate DVD before it came out.

[this message was edited by sabo10 on Mon 9 Jan 19:11]

exodus
3204th Post

"Re(5):Yet undiscovered frontiers in Ikaruga." , posted Tue 10 Jan 02:10:post reply

much less exciting than iowa. the japanese have beaten us again!

[edit]
i states are confusing.

[this message was edited by exodus on Tue 10 Jan 02:11]

gorgeous
44th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):Yet undiscovered frontiers in Ikaruga." , posted Wed 11 Jan 10:44post reply

quote:
I think he did have better scores than the Appreciate DVD before it came out.

Oh shit dude we have to go find that guy and make him film a new appreciate DVD, which we can sell all cola-wars style against the old one, saying it tastes better and shit. He's just some Niigata hick; he won't even realize we're fucking him over.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

↑imagine those were yen signs.

円円円円円円円

Or, yeah!!

exodus
3208th Post

"Re(6):Yet undiscovered frontiers in Ikaruga." , posted Wed 11 Jan 15:58post reply

I bet he could bite you in half though! watch for that!