Ar Tonelico's budget - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1658 Views )

exodus
3180th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Ar Tonelico's budget" , posted Wed 28 Dec 03:49post reply

So I just watched the trailer for myself, and it strikes me that the new budget from Banpresto might have all gone to the opening theme. It looks really nice - and there appears to possibly be in-game anime cutscenes. But otherwise, this looks like the same old Gust. Decentish-looking 2D characters with crappy 3D, and no care for the voice acting whatsoever. I think if this comes to the US they have a good chance to do a dub that's better than the original. They won't, but there's a better chance here. The voices are recorded badly, and everything sounds forced.

So yeah - where'd the budget go? What was the point, really? It kind of sucks that the first time in a while that someone's willing to spend more money on a company that makes 2D games, the treatment the game is given is just as sensational as in 3D games. It looks like they didn't make the experience any better - just prettied up the cutscenes.

Of course this is a premature assessment, but...skepticism level is high.

Replies:

Rid
6950th Post

"Re(1):Ar Tonelico's budget" , posted Wed 28 Dec 05:11:post reply

Maybe they're making it the SNK way and spending the money on feeding Falcoon and having Athena cosplayers around... well, or their counterparts for them.

[this message was edited by Rid on Wed 28 Dec 09:18]

exodus
3181th Post

"Re(2):Ar Tonelico's budget" , posted Wed 28 Dec 06:29post reply

quote:
feeding Falcoon

ouch!

Zepy
1172th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Ar Tonelico's budget" , posted Wed 28 Dec 07:10post reply

I think what's more important is if we'll be getting a cool-but-horrible battle system like before or if it'll be actually good this time!

exodus
3182th Post

"Re(2):Ar Tonelico's budget" , posted Wed 28 Dec 08:55post reply

quote:
I think what's more important is if we'll be getting a cool-but-horrible battle system like before or if it'll be actually good this time!

guess where my money is!

so yeah - next comiket! maybe!

gorgeous
41th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Ar Tonelico's budget" , posted Thu 29 Dec 15:17post reply

quote:
Of course this is a premature assessment, though...skepticism level is high.

No assessment is premature when there's a Banpresto label on something. If it says Banpresto and it looks decent, proceed with caution. If it says Banpresto and it looks kind of shitty, it most definitely is.

Ar Tonelico has some serious cohesion problems. It's another one of those bits-and-pieces games. It feels like Berwick Saga. That kind of atmosphere. Only it's not -- really compelling.

Then again this might change in the "final version." Who knows.

I'd rather play more Kingdom Hearts II! It's the game you morbidly love to hate to death!