Question on Yomigaeru Gyakuten - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1823 Views )

tenguman
263th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Copper Customer

"Question on Yomigaeru Gyakuten" , posted Thu 22 Dec 10:03post reply

So, I'm finally playing Gyakuten Saiban on the DS (it's the US version, Phoenix Wright, actually).

The game has this voice input thingy, which is very fun.
Even more fun is the fact that it recognizes the "IGIARI!" voice command, instead of just "Objection!".

Does anyone know if it recognizes "Matta!" and "Kurae!" too?
I tried a lot but it doesn't seem to work at all..

「この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ。」

Replies:

Pollyanna
1563th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Question on Yomigaeru Gyakuten" , posted Thu 22 Dec 13:13post reply

It works, but grudgingly. It may be just a coincidence.

Man, the extra case was a disappointment.

tenguman
264th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Question on Yomigaeru Gyakuten" , posted Thu 22 Dec 21:07post reply

quote:

Was it? I just started it. On the first trial day yet.

「この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ。」

Radish
3131th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Question on Yomigaeru Gyakuten" , posted Thu 22 Dec 21:52post reply

quote:

No, it's actually awesome. Of course I never played the Gameboy Advance ones so the entire thing was NEW TO YOU! I can understand being annoyed if you've already played the first four chapter since it wasn't much longer than those.

IkariDC
472th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Question on Yomigaeru Gyakuten" , posted Fri 23 Dec 00:33post reply

quote:

No, it's actually awesome. Of course I never played the Gameboy Advance ones so the entire thing was NEW TO YOU! I can understand being annoyed if you've already played the first four chapter since it wasn't much longer than those.

I finished the game yesterday. Dissapointment? Why? Well this is my first experience with a Gyakuten Saiban game, but no other game had me glued to my DS like this one! And I think that the extra chapter is as good, if not the best, as the other chapters. Maybe you complain about the gimmicky features? Well, having the evidences in 3D is nothing new, it's just like in King's Quest 7, and that was released in 1994. I mean, that those features aren't anything suprising or new, but they work.

Iggy
7481th Post

"Re(5):Question on Yomigaeru Gyakuten" , posted Fri 23 Dec 01:58post reply

It's just a disapointment after some parts of GS2 and especially GS3.
If you put the DS-only features aside, this final episode is at the same level as the less brilliant episode of GS3.

exodus
3173th Post

"Re(2):Question on Yomigaeru Gyakuten" , posted Fri 23 Dec 02:59post reply

quote:

I wouldn't say that. the story, especially in the trial section, was a stretch, and the editing was poor, but the 'helper' companion was muuuuuuuuuch better than maya, who annoys the hell out of me.
and the forensics stuff was kind of fun.

Radish
3132th Post

"Re(3):Question on Yomigaeru Gyakuten" , posted Fri 23 Dec 03:19post reply

quote:

I wouldn't say that. the story, especially in the trial section, was a stretch, and the editing was poor, but the 'helper' companion was muuuuuuuuuch better than maya, who annoys the hell out of me.
and the forensics stuff was kind of fun.

I agree that the science chick was cool. Also they had the cowboy whose "caught in a lie" animation was him getting dramatically shot and that's just kickass.

Pollyanna
1565th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Question on Yomigaeru Gyakuten" , posted Fri 23 Dec 04:26:post reply

There were gaping holes in the plot, poor emotional resolution, poor/nearly nonsensical motivation from the murderer and an even worse raping of the legal/Gyakuten Saiban system than usual.

It's not just that it was inferior to other GS trials (and certainly to GS2/3 ones), but it was a mess. The characters were charming enough and the art looked fantastic, but the case as a whole was by far the worst in the series. There were some nice moments with Mitsurugi and I enjoyed most of it, but in the end, it fell way short of the GS standard.

I think most of you were having too much fun to notice all the problems. I suppose if a game can accomplish than, then it's succeeded, but I like GS too much and play too many games to tolerate mediocrity.

I'm not saying it stunk, but it fell short of my expectations.

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Fri 23 Dec 04:38]

exodus
3175th Post

"Re(5):Question on Yomigaeru Gyakuten" , posted Fri 23 Dec 04:46post reply

quote:
There were gaping holes in the plot, poor emotional resolution, poor/nearly nonsensical motivation from the murderer and an even worse raping of the legal/Gyakuten Saiban system than usual.

No, I totally agree with you. I felt that way all the way through it. I felt like it was inferior in all the ways you mentioned, and the editing really bugged me. But the science girl, the forensics and the animated bits made me feel better about it, to the point where I was disappointed, but would hesitate to call it 'bad.' I think the nonsensical motivation was a big problem - but it felt like an extended extra, and in that mindset, it was passable. Not good, but not horrid. Didn't ruin the experience for me.

Radish
3133th Post

"Re(6):Question on Yomigaeru Gyakuten" , posted Fri 23 Dec 21:05post reply

quote:

No, I totally agree with you. I felt that way all the way through it. I felt like it was inferior in all the ways you mentioned, and the editing really bugged me. But the science girl, the forensics and the animated bits made me feel better about it, to the point where I was disappointed, but would hesitate to call it 'bad.' I think the nonsensical motivation was a big problem - but it felt like an extended extra, and in that mindset, it was passable. Not good, but not horrid. Didn't ruin the experience for me.

Exactly. There were definitely some holes but the rest of the experience brought it back up. Personally I thought the motivation was decent enough considering

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
the super prosecutor from Episode 4 killed two people and tried to have another executed just because one slightly tarnished his perfect record

End of Spoiler

which is kind of out there in itself. I agree that certain rules (like the evidence stuff that was never an issue before) came out of nowhere but eh, I have a hard time holding the judicial system of a series where they'll put a guy in jail, even though he's blatantly innocent but they haven't found anyone else to take the blame THAT seriously. It was fun which I find is more important to the overall game than being rigorously strict to the game's formula. Maybe it's more obvious when you've played them all so I can't judge based on that criteria. However considering that most people outside Japan will probably never see the second and third games, it’s not like many people in the US at least will ever know.

I totally agree that the editing seemed sloppy though. I found a few spelling mistakes that shouldn't have been in there at all.

Freeter
4326th Post

"Re(6):Question on Yomigaeru Gyakuten" , posted Sat 24 Dec 01:25post reply

quote:
If you put the DS-only features aside, this final episode is at the same level as the less brilliant episode of GS3.

This wouldn't happen to be episode 3, would it?

Iggy
7483th Post

"Re(7):Question on Yomigaeru Gyakuten" , posted Sat 24 Dec 06:54post reply

quote:
This wouldn't happen to be episode 3, would it?

Yup.
Zenitora and Urami were great, but the general rythm of the episode was too slow to my taste.
Still, thinking of it, I think I prefer the character of that episode to the DS one...
Meh.