Dragon Quest VIII - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2420 Views )

Gojira
1885th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Thu 8 Dec 09:44post reply

Sure it's old news to those who went off on the Japanese version last year, but the game just came out in English a little over 2 weeks ago so I just wanted to stir up a little discussion.

What's really impressed me besides the silliness of the battles and status ailments (Yangus is dancing uncontrollably!) is how far you can see when exploring the world map. It's pretty cool when you see mountains way off in the distance and realize they're not just some background element; you can really go up to them at some point and climb them. And with all this you'd think there would be popup issues, but aside from a few rocks here and there nothing ever pops in and out.

The voices are all goofy and overacted with English accents, but the world is so loudly colorful they actually seem a perfect fit. BTW from what I hear, the original JP version didn't have voices? Or am I mistaken?

Since I'm such an AST whore (I have many DQ Syphonic Suites) I love the fully-arranged sountrack. I don't think I've ever heard a soundtrack so completely arranged; I've heard some that were half-arranged, or 20% arranged, but to hear it entirely like this is really nice. For me anyway. About the only bad thing I can say is that I can't imagine there being an AST for the game.

The story is probably the weakest point, but its simplicity is kind of a blessing since nobody ever does anything completely stupid or has complex emotional disorders. It's just "do that, and on to the next one". I'm about 15 hours in and while I don't find them the deepest band of folks, I can't really despise them either.

So yeah, in case you can't tell I like it a lot.

Just a small question for those who've played more in-depth: is the game non-linear to some degree? I've noticed in several spots that there were events I might have been able to skip since there was nothing keeping me from the following destination.

Replies:

IkariDC
462th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Thu 8 Dec 10:28post reply

quote:
Sure it's old news to those who went off on the Japanese version last year, but the game just came out in English a little over 2 weeks ago so I just wanted to stir up a little discussion.

What's really impressed me besides the silliness of the battles and status ailments (Yangus is dancing uncontrollably!) is how far you can see when exploring the world map. It's pretty cool when you see mountains way off in the distance and realize they're not just some background element; you can really go up to them at some point and climb them. And with all this you'd think there would be popup issues, but aside from a few rocks here and there nothing ever pops in and out.

The voices are all goofy and overacted with English accents, but the world is so loudly colorful they actually seem a perfect fit. BTW from what I hear, the original JP version didn't have voices? Or am I mistaken?

Since I'm such an AST whore (I have many DQ Syphonic Suites) I love the fully-arranged sountrack. I don't think I've ever heard a soundtrack so completely arranged; I've heard some that were half-arranged, or 20% arranged, but to hear it entirely like this is really nice. For me anyway. About the only bad thing I can say is that I can't imagine there being an AST for the game.

The story is probably the weakest point, but its simplicity is kind of a blessing since nobody ever does anything completely stupid or has complex emotional disorders. It's just "do that, and on to the next one". I'm about 15 hours in and while I don't find them the deepest band of folks, I can't really despise them either.

So yeah, in case you can't tell I like it a lot.

Just a small question for those who've played more in-depth: is the game non-linear to some degree? I've noticed in several spots that there were events I might have been able to skip since there was nothing keeping me from the following destination.

The japanese version didn't had voices, and the music wasn't arranged. I appreciate very much that they replaced the normal soundtrack by the Symphonic Suit version, and also, I kind of like the voices. As you say, they fit with the setting. They changed the mighty DQ submenu to a FF looking one, but I don't know if that's good or not.

Also, the package is great, a cardboard box containing the regular case and the game's manual in full color, and the case containing FF XII demo's full color mini manual.

I'll play this one when I finish with Ys The Ark of Napishtim, which I'm enjoying very much!

Gojira
1886th Post

"Re(2):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Fri 9 Dec 03:18post reply

quote:

They changed the mighty DQ submenu to a FF looking one, but I don't know if that's good or not.

How was it changed? I haven't played a DQ game since the first one, but I'm sure it at least evolved a bit. I like the Heal All option, really saves a lot of time.

I noticed the shop menus were different from the demo, too. A bit prettied up and faster to navigate.

Oh yeah, as for the FFXII demo, it's very... hmm. It's somewhat fun but they weren't kidding about it not feeling anything like previous FFs. I've barely gone into any depth with it though.

Amakusa
652th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Fri 9 Dec 16:05post reply

quote:

How was it changed? I haven't played a DQ game since the first one, but I'm sure it at least evolved a bit. I like the Heal All option, really saves a lot of time.

It's like a subscreen, not like a pop-up window with text. It's got pictures, too.

I really don't mind it that much; I think some people are just too anal about these things. Memories are nice to have, but not when they dominate your future.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

gorgeous
26th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Fri 9 Dec 17:22:post reply

quote:
Also, the package is great, a cardboard box containing the regular case and the game's manual in full color, and the case containing FF XII demo's full color mini manual.

See, I don't like the package for the American version. This is probably because I've slept with the Japanese version in my bed for like a year now. That, and the text on the back of the cardboard box looks SO tacky. I mean, it's just centered, italicized Times New Roman. I appreciate that Bookman Old Style is the English font they use in the game, because it really fits the mood, and I even like the graphical interface, and I fuckin' LOVE the music.

It's just -- that BOX. Mine got crushed really easily. I mean, it's like half-empty. What they hell were they thinking? I mean, did they look at how nice the localizers made the menus with the concepts of LUCID DESIGN and GOOD TASTE, and say, "Well, we have to put some shitty CENTERED ITALICIZED TEXT" on the back. It just looks really hacky and poor. When everything else is so nice.

That, and they cropped Toriyama's amazing landscape out of the background of the cover art, as well as traced over all his brown lines, making them black. The Japanese version has such a softer, more fantastic look to it.

Wonderful game, though. I'll beat it in English once I beat Rogue Galaxy. If I ever do.

[this message was edited by gorgeous on Fri 9 Dec 17:23]

Gojira
1887th Post

"Re(3):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Fri 9 Dec 17:58post reply

I can tell just from looking at that flimsy cardboard box that it wasn't a planned package. I'll bet it was a last-minute decision that came about when they realized the manual was too big to fit in the DVD case with the demo and the demo manual. It's definitely not of a quality made for collectors.

I got my ship now, and it seems they handled some voices a little more creatively than I expected. I've gotten a few good laughs out of it.

Genjuro
635th Post

"Re(2):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Sun 11 Dec 11:46post reply

The voices are really horrible...I wish they'd just left it unsubbed.Sth i wish for all next gen rpgs(almost)..At least they're not as horrible as FFX..

Ys is great btw

EddyT
528th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Sun 11 Dec 12:57post reply

I like it so far... only gripe is that there's no progressive scan option, yet it has a widescreen option. I don't mind the voices at all. Although I'm not too keen on Jessica's voice, I think the voiceovers for Yangus and King Trode are good quality. It's a bit better than FFX, like previously mentioned... and if it's better than Star Ocean, that's all I care about.

Only 10 hours into the game, so I've got a lot to see.

Ishmael
2316th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Mon 12 Dec 05:35post reply

How is the game engine itself? Are the battles fun and of a resonable length? Are there any points where you have to slog around and level up before you can move on? Can you actually see your characters during the fight? How long is the game? Will I be able to complete at some point in my life?

Gojira
1894th Post

"Re(5):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Mon 12 Dec 08:11post reply

quote:
How is the game engine itself? Are the battles fun and of a resonable length? Are there any points where you have to slog around and level up before you can move on? Can you actually see your characters during the fight? How long is the game? Will I be able to complete at some point in my life?

The engine? It runs decently; there are some loading issues here and there but overall there's not a whole lot to complain about. The overall balance is fair enough, and the alchemy, monster team and weapon skill subsystems are effective.

Generally there's a different approach to every battle in order to win quickly, and if you take the wrong approach some battles can take forever. So the length varies.

Yes there are many points where you have to level up. No sugar-coating it here.

Yes you can finally see your characters during the fight.

I don't know how long the game is, but I'm about 2/3 through it and I've logged 45 hours. I'm guessing 60-70 if you just want to complete it, but I've heard there are also bonus areas and monsters you can only reach after clearing the game, which would add more to the play time.

Maou
736th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Mon 12 Dec 08:19post reply

quote:
hours. I'm guessing 60-70 if you just want to complete it

Wow! Gojira, do you tend to finish your games pretty meticulously, which might make the time add up, or does it really take that long just for a casual play through? I've played a lot of RPG's, but I don't think I've ever taken that long on a game except for maybe Xenogears, so the length kind of terrifies me. I'd love to give DQVIII a spin sometime, but I don't know if I have the time for a game longer than 40 or so hours...

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Gojira
1896th Post

"Re(7):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Mon 12 Dec 08:50post reply

quote:

Wow! Gojira, do you tend to finish your games pretty meticulously, which might make the time add up, or does it really take that long just for a casual play through? I've played a lot of RPG's, but I don't think I've ever taken that long on a game except for maybe Xenogears, so the length kind of terrifies me. I'd love to give DQVIII a spin sometime, but I don't know if I have the time for a game longer than 40 or so hours...

Well, part of it is that I'm pretty meticulous, but at the same time the game somewhat forces you to be that way. Have you played any DQ games before?

The world is huge for one thing. You don't get anything to speed up travelling for quite a while, outside of warping. And that only takes you back to places you've been before. Once you get the ship there's a lot of places to look around, but it's still pretty slow-going.

Also for a long time you don't have any means of resurrecting outside of visiting the church. And you can't save anywhere except the church either. Both of these combined with the fact your gold gets halved when you get wiped out will force you to be pretty careful in dungeons. I often find myself leaving dungeons before I reach the boss just so I can go stock up on better weapons and armor. No point in letting all the money go to waste because your equipment was too inadequate for the boss.

Maybe you can try to rush it, but even most normal battles can't be finished in one round. So yeah I'd say it's pretty general for the game's pace.

Amakusa
656th Post

"Re(6):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Mon 12 Dec 14:58post reply

quote:

I don't know how long the game is, but I'm about 2/3 through it and I've logged 45 hours. I'm guessing 60-70 if you just want to complete it, but I've heard there are also bonus areas and monsters you can only reach after clearing the game, which would add more to the play time.

92 hours clocked. The last boss is a major disappointment, the ending is rather satisfying. Bonus dungeon is hard.

Maou
739th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(8):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Mon 12 Dec 15:17:post reply

Thanks for the clearing up, Gojira, sounds like it's the same dangerous kind of Enix world that was in Fushigi No Shiren and Toruneko/Torneko (something like that, I thought it might have come out in America), which must be pretty intense... I guess the sheer risk of seriously losing your stuff or not making it to the church makes for a slower, and probably more exciting game that feels like you really are exploring a dangerous world. Shiren sure seemed like that. I should give it a spin.

PS: Amakusa--ninety-two hours!? duuuuude.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 12 Dec 15:18]

Spoon
1245th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(9):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Mon 12 Dec 15:51post reply

The actual playing of this game is kinda funny, and I don't mean humorous.

My plan was to sit in any new area and use Whistle to level up up to the point where downing a Holy Water eliminates monster encounters from the area.

So, when I actually explore places, I have no/very few random encounters. When I level, it is literally just going from one menu to another; there's no walking around or anything. I wish that it wouldn't even go back to the roaming view after battles, since there's obvious load time in going between that view and the party menu.

I have no idea whether this is fun or not anymore. However, I find the British-ness of the game amusing. Seeing someone in a console JRPG say, "COR BLIMEY!" is funnier than any "humorous moment" that exclamation is supposed part of.

Ishmael
2317th Post

"Re(10):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Tue 13 Dec 05:41post reply

Thanks for the feedback. Hmm, it sounds like yet another RPG that will either take me a long, long time to complete or that I will have to end up willing the save file to my next of kin and let them finish the game after I die of old age. It also, however, sounds like it could be good fun and a nice break from the RPG's that are either deathly serious or based around a central gimmick that gets old long before the game is over.

Amakusa
659th Post

"Re(9):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Wed 14 Dec 14:19post reply

quote:

PS: Amakusa--ninety-two hours!? duuuuude.

Yeah, I don't know where the time went. It just sort of happened. I don't think I wasted THAT much time on the Metal Kings.

Ishmael
2329th Post

"Re(10):Dragon Quest VIII" , posted Sat 31 Dec 06:10:post reply

Yeah, I'm bumping an old thread but I finally got to try the game for myself and just wanted to make a few comments.

While the cast can come across like Bob Hoskins interacting with a bunch of stock Toriyama characters they aren't neurotic or overly pretty either. If I'm going to spend X amount of hours on a game there are worse characters out there to do it with.

The game feels very old-school in that most of the world's problems can be solved by tromping through a nearby dungeon. It also feels very traditional in that you can barge into someone's house unannounced, bust up shit and take and valuables you may find. After your string of petty thefts in town you can head out into the wilderness, beat something to death and loot the corpse. In spite of all the questionable activities the game has you engage everyone is still sporting enough to wait their turn in life or death fights. Even though I didn't phrase the preceeding in the most flattering way I do enjoy that sort of thing. There's something relaxing about solving some obvious problem and occasionally leveling up or getting a shiny, new sword. In that respect DQVIII delivers quite well.

While I'm enjoying the game now I do wonder how it's going to sustain momentum through it's entire running time. Either there are some plot twists coming up to the seemingly simple chase I'm currently on or the thrill of making my characters as sexy as possible will justify the length of the game.

[this message was edited by Ishmael on Sat 31 Dec 06:12]