DDR Strike - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1730 Views )

Iggy
7447th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"DDR Strike" , posted Mon 5 Dec 03:21post reply

Lots of stuff.

The game will react with Beatmania II DX 10th et Pop'n 12.
Ow.

Replies:

kurushimi
109th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):DDR Strike" , posted Mon 5 Dec 07:57post reply

quote:
Lots of stuff.

The game will react with Beatmania II DX 10th et Pop'n 12.
Ow.

Straight-to-console release? Oh well, glad to see they even made a new version, even though everybody seems to be on the Pump it Up bandwagon currently. Hope a song list comes out...

Pollyanna
1529th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):DDR Strike" , posted Mon 5 Dec 09:35post reply

Pump It Up is just better. DDR seems easy and primative in comparison.

BUT...I've been playing DDR lately because I'm sick of/hate much of the music in Pump it Up.

So, I'm happy for a new DDR, because Extreme 2 US totally sucks and I don't feel like importing it.

Evenor
256th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):DDR Strike" , posted Mon 5 Dec 12:59post reply

quote:

BUT...I've been playing DDR lately because I'm sick of/hate much of the music in Pump it Up.

So, I'm happy for a new DDR, because Extreme 2 US totally sucks and I don't feel like importing it.

I just discovered the wonders of Pump it up.
DDR is pure shit compared to it.
But Pretty Princess Polly does have a point. The music isnt the best.

肝臓入りのオレンジジュース!
腎臓混じりの甘口カレー!
膵臓仕込みのペスカトーレ!
愛しの愛しのサイコホラー

kurushimi
111th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):DDR Strike" , posted Mon 5 Dec 13:06:post reply

quote:

It's better in the technical sense, having the steps more intuitively positioned and what not, but if I can't get into the music, that's 50% of the game shot to hell. Which is precisely why I can play PIU, but enjoy DDR more.

[this message was edited by kurushimi on Mon 5 Dec 13:07]

Mav
114th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):DDR Strike" , posted Mon 5 Dec 16:27post reply

I think I physically enjoy the steps of Pump more until it gets into the harder stuff. Some Pump doubles on the hard difficulty are impossible for a single person to do.
The makers of Pump obviously put a lot of thought into their midrange difficulty steps, so it feels more fun than DDR.

But that thought comes at an odd price for freestylers. Though DDR's steps seem more mechanical, they allow for more inventive freestyling, since they're not intended to be anything special. Pump's intentionally dancy steps make for a lot of the same routines and generally the same dance "Style" throughout.
Maybe it doesn't make sense until you're more involved in freestyle. I think I like both for their own reasons and needn't say which is best.

That aside, what else is in this new DDR? How does this compatability with the newer Bemani games work? I don't find most Beatmania IIDX or Pop'n songs to be as dance-friendly as necessary to make this work out.

sabo10
1255th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"THE汗黒人" , posted Mon 5 Dec 16:43post reply

http://www.pitch.com/issues/2004-03-18/feature.html

Pollyanna
1531th Post

"Re(5):DDR Strike" , posted Mon 5 Dec 16:48post reply

Yeah, pretty much past 7 on PiU is completely unreasonable. But then again, I thought that I would never be able to do some of the stuff I'm doing now, so we'll see...though I'm afraid to even LOOK at a 19.

I don't necessarily agree that PiU is less set up for freestyle, though. I think it could be argued either way, because I feel like DDRs ups and downs often force me to do awkward moves that could not result in dancing. However, I didn't feel like this before I played PiU (and did a fair amount of freestyle "back in the day"), so...I guess...what I'm saying is that it works either way. I think I need to go to bed.

Hmmm...DDR is starting to have a lot of Pop'n/Guitar Freaks songs anyway.

Iggy
7450th Post

"Re(6):DDR Strike" , posted Mon 5 Dec 20:57post reply

quote:
Hmmm...DDR is starting to have a lot of Pop'n/Guitar Freaks songs anyway.

What I really like in this DDR Strike is that the 50 songs are supposed to be new, and the deal with EMI is going to allow lots of crappy japanese songs AND videos to make the cut.
Since Everyday At The Bus Stop was in Dance 860, I'm sure pretty Tommy will be in it.
That alone makes the game.

Also, I think they will learn from the complains about DDR Festival (too many slow songs and too many insipid american songs). I hope they will keep as much hilarious Silent Hill 4 absurdities, though.

Radish
3098th Post

"Re(7):DDR Strike" , posted Mon 5 Dec 22:45post reply

I hate Pump It Up because my local arcade just got rid of all their Japanese styled sit down cabinets with 25 cent per play Gunbird 2 to make room for it.

Pollyanna
1534th Post

"Re(7):DDR Strike" , posted Tue 6 Dec 05:34post reply

quote:

What I really like in this DDR Strike is that the 50 songs are supposed to be new, and the deal with EMI is going to allow lots of crappy japanese songs AND videos to make the cut.

That's -great-. I'll have to get a new controller. I actually liked Festival, though. I had skipped a large number of games before it, though, so I don't know how it stacked up. It didn't have a lot of songs, or a lot of variety, but it had a -fun- selection at least. I'm irritated with the exclusion of "endless" mode in recent games, though.

Iggy
7454th Post

"Re(8):DDR Strike" , posted Tue 6 Dec 06:45post reply

quote:
That's -great-. I'll have to get a new controller.

I haven't touched Pump it up at all, does it require a different controller ?

As for Festival... I only have 2 DDR, Party Collection and Festival, so I had a fast one with lots of eurodance horrors, and a slower one for when I'm tired, with both Sana Molette and both Silent Hill songs.
Now, I like both for their own qualities, but for the first month, Festival was a huge letdown...

I like how Strike (if it does includes lots of popular japanese artists) might be complementary with the 2 others without walking on their toes.
Maybe.

Pollyanna
1535th Post

"Re(9):DDR Strike" , posted Tue 6 Dec 06:51post reply

Yes. Pump it Up uses a different controller because it works with diagonals instead of straight arrows and has a button in the middle as well. The one packaged with the game is excellent. I'm able to do songs that are as difficult as the most difficult DDR songs I can manage, and only miss one or two steps. I've never had a DDR pad that good.

So when I say "I need to get a new pad", I mean, "I need to get a BETTER DDR pad", because the one I have sucks. I haven't gotten a new one due to lack of motivation.