Quick question about the PSP... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1865 Views )

Undead Fred
2561th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Fri 2 Dec 19:51post reply

Does anyone know how the wi-fi connection works? Do you have to pay extra, or is it a basic function? The reason why I ask is that I was looking at that Infected game where you pass your zombie character from person to person... it sounded like fun, but I didn't want to have to pay an online fee just to play it.

Replies:

Ammadeau
1465th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Fri 2 Dec 21:14post reply

No online fees. You just need a wireless internet hot-spot to get it going. If you don't have one, then you need a router that supports such a function.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Radish
3096th Post

"Re(2):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Sat 3 Dec 01:51post reply

quote:
No online fees. You just need a wireless internet hot-spot to get it going. If you don't have one, then you need a router that supports such a function.

Have they gotten the home brew stuff to work with the wireless enabled firmwear yet? All I use my PSP for now is emulating NES games so I don't want to upgrade unless I can still do that.

Undead Fred
2562th Post

"Re(2):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Sat 3 Dec 06:06post reply

quote:

Ahh, okay. So, if I'm in an area with wi-fi, it should work? Also, did they ever work out those "features" like the sinking square button?

Radish
3097th Post

"Re(3):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Sat 3 Dec 07:35post reply

quote:
Ahh, okay. So, if I'm in an area with wi-fi, it should work? Also, did they ever work out those "features" like the sinking square button?

Yeah they fixed that one. Also I think they are still having issues with stuck pixels. Get it from a place that allows you to return it if you get any. Sony will only replace it themselves if you have a large amount of them.

Undead Fred
2563th Post

"Re(4):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Sat 3 Dec 12:53post reply

quote:
Yeah they fixed that one. Also I think they are still having issues with stuck pixels. Get it from a place that allows you to return it if you get any. Sony will only replace it themselves if you have a large amount of them.

Ahaa, okay. At least the major problems seem to be fixed. Sorry for all of these LOL N00B questions, but how do the music transfers work? For example, can you upload from your computer somehow (either through a firewire or USB cable, or with a wireless adaptor)? I had noticed there was a battery pack with it, too... I'm guessing that's rechargeable?

The reason for all of these questions is that I've been interested in getting a PSP for a while, but I couldn't really get one... I was sort of waiting for them to fix the really annoying problems before I even considered getting one, and since I've also been kind of wanting some sort of MP3 player for a while, I was thinking about starting to save up for one. I had gotten the impression that the PSP's sort of an all-in-one handheld, so that would work out pretty well.

biggsyke
21th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Sat 3 Dec 13:36:post reply

quote:
Ahaa, okay. At least the major problems seem to be fixed. Sorry for all of these LOL N00B questions, but how do the music transfers work? For example, can you upload from your computer somehow (either through a firewire or USB cable, or with a wireless adaptor)? I had noticed there was a battery pack with it, too... I'm guessing that's rechargeable?

The reason for all of these questions is that I've been interested in getting a PSP for a while, but I couldn't really get one... I was sort of waiting for them to fix the really annoying problems before I even considered getting one, and since I've also been kind of wanting some sort of MP3 player for a while, I was thinking about starting to save up for one. I had gotten the impression that the PSP's sort of an all-in-one handheld, so that would work out pretty well.

It connects via USB and should be recognized by your computer right away (Windows plug and play don't know about Mac). There is a rechargable battery pack/AC adapter. I'd suggest getting the Giga pack with the 1GB memory stick if you want enough room for music and movies.

Also Capcom (Japan) has a cool campaign going on:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/psp/campaign/index.html

"Meet me at the fork in the road where the lost souls are indecisive. Meet me at the crossroads so I can have someone to walk into the light with..." - Sage Francis Crack Pipes

[this message was edited by biggsyke on Sat 3 Dec 13:40]

Undead Fred
2564th Post

"Re(6):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Sat 3 Dec 14:25post reply

quote:
It connects via USB and should be recognized by your computer right away (Windows plug and play don't know about Mac). There is a rechargable battery pack/AC adapter. I'd suggest getting the Giga pack with the 1GB memory stick if you want enough room for music and movies.

Also Capcom (Japan) has a cool campaign going on:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/psp/campaign/index.html

Yeah, I had figured I pretty much needed a 1GB card if I got a PSP since I'd definitely put MP3's and stuff on there. Good to know it's got a USB connection. What's the Capcom campaign, though? Is that some sort of compilation game disc or something?

gorgeous
21th Post

New Customer

"Re(7):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Sat 3 Dec 21:34post reply

quote:
Yeah, I had figured I pretty much needed a 1GB card if I got a PSP since I'd definitely put MP3's and stuff on there. Good to know it's got a USB connection. What's the Capcom campaign, though? Is that some sort of compilation game disc or something?

Yeah, I've had my PSP for like four days now, and I really, really don't recommend using it as an MP3 player. Not only is the volume REALLY LOW even at its highest setting -- the damned L and R buttons change tracks. So you might experience random track switching as you slide the PSP into its cloth condom case. And then it'll be bumping around on you and shit as you walk, and changing tracks then, too. Seriously, I tried to use it to listen to TWO SONGS walking down the street this morning and it was just fucking frustrating as hell. I guess I'm too used to having an iPod. If you have a bunch of extra money, just buy an iPod and a coat with really deep pockets, to go along with your PSP.

And get Tales of Eternia, too.

Siegfried
445th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Sun 4 Dec 05:32post reply

There is a HOLD function on the power switch. Use that to lock the buttons, then you can press whatever you want without it changing tracks.

----------------
Webmaster of Fighter Mania
kattuggla.oru.se/dmd01/dm0103/test/

Undead Fred
2567th Post

"Re(9):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Sun 4 Dec 05:48post reply

quote:
There is a HOLD function on the power switch. Use that to lock the buttons, then you can press whatever you want without it changing tracks.

Ah, that's good to hear! How about the volume problem Gorgeous mentioned, is there a way to turn that up too?

Mav
112th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Sun 4 Dec 11:28post reply

quote:
Ah, that's good to hear! How about the volume problem Gorgeous mentioned, is there a way to turn that up too?

In your Sound Options - AVLS

Bonus points for whoever cares to whip out their PSP manual and mull over what the acronym means. It's a "limiter" so the headphones can't hurt your little virgin ears. Or so you can hardly hear certain UMDs at all! Easy switch-off. Or on. Depends on what that acronym is...

Undead Fred
2569th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Sun 4 Dec 15:29post reply

quote:
In your Sound Options - AVLS

Bonus points for whoever cares to whip out their PSP manual and mull over what the acronym means. It's a "limiter" so the headphones can't hurt your little virgin ears. Or so you can hardly hear certain UMDs at all! Easy switch-off. Or on. Depends on what that acronym is...

Ahaaa, excellent. Okay, that's also good to hear. I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything that'd be a surprise once I finally save up for a PSP...

gorgeous
22th Post

New Customer

"Re(9):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Mon 5 Dec 10:16post reply

quote:

Well shit.

That still doesn't make the sound any louder!

Undead Fred
2571th Post

"Re(10):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Mon 5 Dec 12:26post reply

quote:
Well shit.

Check Mav's post. Did you disable that AVLS option or whatever it was called?

gorgeous
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Mon 5 Dec 17:56post reply

quote:
Well shit.

Check Mav's post. Did you disable that AVLS option or whatever it was called?

Yeah, it was disabled. It's still not up to my preference. I want my sound loud.

I'll just keep using my iPod for music.

So -- is there any way to make the games . . . good?

sabo10
1256th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Re(10):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Mon 5 Dec 19:30post reply

quote:

Convince enough people to not buy the games you think are bad.

gorgeous
24th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Tue 6 Dec 12:37post reply

quote:

Is that in the config menu?

Undead Fred
2574th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Tue 6 Dec 13:00post reply

quote:

Is that in the config menu?

Hell, if they're better than Gameboy and not recycled PSX games like what I saw on IBELIEVEYOUHAVEMYN-GAGE, then I'm happy.

...not that Gameboy didn't have any good games, but you know what I mean.

Rid
6916th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Wed 7 Dec 01:50post reply

quote:
and not recycled PSX games
Like Sampaguita or Valkyrie Profile you mean?

Undead Fred
2576th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Quick question about the PSP..." , posted Wed 7 Dec 02:35post reply

quote:
and not recycled PSX games Like Sampaguita or Valkyrie Profile you mean?

Well, I was talking about those N-Gage commercials where they were like, "Remember, umm, Tomb Raider 1 from about 6 or 7 years ago? That's on N-Gage. And we've got Tony Hawk 1 too..." (when they were up to like, Tony Hawk 8 or whatever on consoles)