Xbox 360 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2451 Views )

Ishmael
2303th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 01:37post reply

The launch of the Xbox 360 seems to be big news especially over at -surprise, surprise!- MSN. Did anyone pick one up? Any thoughts or impressions for those of us that don't have one?

Replies:

Joe Randel
460th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 02:27post reply

Hey, does Perfect Dark Zero have the aliens in it? Just curious bucause I totally lost all interest in the 64 version when the alien showed up and started talking.

I can't believe they named him Elvis...

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

KTallguy
768th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 07:44post reply

From what I hear , most stores only have 20% of preorders available in inventory.

It's gonna be a difficult battle for them ...
I do wanna play condemned really bad tho...

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

exodus
3100th Post

"Re(3):Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 07:46post reply

quote:

at this point if I get a 360 by some miracle today, I'm selling it on ebay for 1,700 damn dollars. Shoot.

Undead Fred
2540th Post

"Re(4):Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 08:31post reply

I don't mind waiting a little while to get one, personally... I'm waiting for more than one game to come out that I want first.

I noticed one of the release games was Gun... which is a regular XBox and PS2 game... I guess I thought that was kind of odd.

exodus
3101th Post

"Re(5):Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 09:37post reply

quote:
I noticed one of the release games was Gun... which is a regular XBox and PS2 game... I guess I thought that was kind of odd.

what did you think was odd? like half of the games are multiplatform...

Undead Fred
2541th Post

"Re(6):Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 10:19post reply

quote:

Ah, I just hadn't been able to keep up with games at all recently, so that was the only multiplatform game I happened to see in the case at the time. And since it was on regular XBox, I thought it was weird that they'd do a port to the 360 too.

Ishmael
2305th Post

"Re(7):Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 10:32post reply

quote:
Ah, I just hadn't been able to keep up with games at all recently, so that was the only multiplatform game I happened to see in the case at the time. And since it was on regular XBox, I thought it was weird that they'd do a port to the 360 too.

Are there any major differences between the regular Xbox [that needs an abbreviation] version of Gun and the 360 edition? Is Gun backwards compatible so that you can play the Oldbox version on the 360? Are there people out there who are going to spend major amounts of time and money just so they can play Gun on the 360 when the game is readily available on other platforms? The mind boggles.

Mog
402th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 11:39:post reply

quote:

From what I hear , most stores only have 20% of preorders available in inventory.

Saddly, that's being generious: my store only got closer to 10% in the first shipment. For those who care, here's some numbers to better illustrate just how bad things are.

Number of systems on day one.
Best Buy: 25
Target: 20
My store: 12, 10 premium and 2 core
Walmart: 10, 2 premium and 8 core
Circit City: 10
Toys 'R Us: 4

Previous system allocations.
Dreamcast: about 75 preorders with 100 systems at launch
PS2: about 120 preorders with about 120 systems at launch
XBox 360: 95 preorders with 12 systems at launch

quote:

I't probably better to wait until spring, or the potential "Miraculously, we stumbled across a secret warehouse that happened to have 500,000 360's!" a week or so before Christmas.

[this message was edited by Mog on Wed 23 Nov 11:39]

Ammadeau
1459th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(8):Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 12:11post reply

quote:
Are there any major differences between the regular Xbox [that needs an abbreviation] version of Gun and the 360 edition? Is Gun backwards compatible so that you can play the Oldbox version on the 360? Are there people out there who are going to spend major amounts of time and money just so they can play Gun on the 360 when the game is readily available on other platforms? The mind boggles.

Only difference is minor improvement with the graphics, and of course the extra $10 they're charging for it.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

kurushimi
105th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 12:29post reply

I know that in general, there is going to be a severe lack of interest in this console, considering it's still more catered to western-style audiences and game design, but am I the only one who is genuinely excited about what they're doing with their Live service? The arcade that's available right now is pretty decent (I've lost countless hours to the desktop versions of the popcap games already), and I see the potential for it to be an outlet for indie game developers. Don't have the budget to go up against EA? No problem, just make a small indie game, and release it via download through the Xbox Live marketplace! Steam has already set the precedent for delivering games through broadband connections, with Half-Life 2, so I'm genuinely excited by seeing a console counterpart.

Now, this is the idealist in me talking, but if it were to take hold in Japan, it would be great for doujin games. I mean, considering the Xbox is closer to a PC than other consoles, I can't imagine it would be too difficult to have, say, Ragnarok Battle Offline or the Touhou series ported over. To be able to play them away from the constraints of my monitor, in my living room, would be pretty badass.

In general, Microsoft's done pretty well with the current Live service, and I can only hope it continues to grow and evolve. This and handhelds seem to be the last bastion for smalltime developers...

Oh, and no, I didn't get a 360, I was informed my preorder would come in on the 2nd shipment....whenever that'll be.

Bootation
496th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 13:04post reply

quote:
I know that in general, there is going to be a severe lack of interest in this console, considering it's still more catered to western-style audiences and game design, but am I the only one who is genuinely excited about what they're doing with their Live service? The arcade that's available right now is pretty decent (I've lost countless hours to the desktop versions of the popcap games already), and I see the potential for it to be an outlet for indie game developers. Don't have the budget to go up against EA? No problem, just make a small indie game, and release it via download through the Xbox Live marketplace! Steam has already set the precedent for delivering games through broadband connections, with Half-Life 2, so I'm genuinely excited by seeing a console counterpart.

Now, this is the idealist in me talking, but if it were to take hold in Japan, it would be great for doujin games. I mean, considering the Xbox is closer to a PC than other consoles, I can't imagine it would be too difficult to have, say, Ragnarok Battle Offline or the Touhou series ported over. To be able to play them away from the constraints of my monitor, in my living room, would be pretty badass.

In general, Microsoft's done pretty well with the current Live service, and I can only hope it continues to grow and evolve. This and handhelds seem to be the last bastion for smalltime developers...

Oh, and no, I didn't get a 360, I was informed my preorder would come in on the 2nd shipment....whenever that'll be.

o.t.
Microsoft can really afford to take their sweet ass time on preorder etc. because they are so far ahead of the competition for the next generation. Makes me glad i didnt participate in the ps2 generation.

Pretty please check out my neato sweet awesome webpage

crazymike
1191th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 13:20:post reply

GOOD GOD

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Game-console_W0QQitemZ8236196285QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What nutbuckets would pay 10,000 dollars for a game system? I'd rather have a new car for Christmas!

Oh, and LOL at "Reserve Met".

[this message was edited by crazymike on Wed 23 Nov 14:12]

kurushimi
106th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 14:11post reply

quote:
I know that in general, there is going to be a severe lack of interest in this console,

Whoops, I meant to say, general lack of interest in this console on this forum. Because from what I saw at the retailer lines, Microsoft's marketing campaign was pretty effective.

kilvear
126th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 15:02post reply

quote:
The launch of the Xbox 360 seems to be big news especially over at -surprise, surprise!- MSN. Did anyone pick one up? Any thoughts or impressions for those of us that don't have one?

┬──┬──┬──┬───
    []__ []__ []__ []__ [] ||
    ○    ○    ○    ○    ○  ガタンゴトン~
.    | |    | 秋葉原 |     ||
.    | |____________....||
ペ・ヨンチョン ノCMダッテヨw         ||  / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
   ∧_∧∧__∧  ∧_∧ ∧_∧|| < Wow. Xbox 360 buyers. Unbelievable!!!
 ( ´∀( ∀` Σ(@∀@‐)(´∀` .||  \___________
  ( つ    ⊂ )O ̄ ̄⊂)(  ..  ||=
  ( ( ,-( (  ノ.-|Xbox|--( ( ┏. ||
   し'し  し'し'   し' し   し'し'||...||

Nothing Serious. Casuals Only.

EddyT
525th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Xbox 360" , posted Wed 23 Nov 23:09post reply

I was able to get one at regular price, and I like it a lot. Having problems playing XBox 1 games, though... Halo 2 takes much longer to load on the 360, and Ninja Gaiden Black slows down quite a bit. Don't know if it's a common problem or not.

Mokona
332th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Xbox 360" , posted Thu 24 Nov 00:16post reply

quote:
GOOD GOD

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Game-console_W0QQitemZ8236196285QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What nutbuckets would pay 10,000 dollars for a game system? I'd rather have a new car for Christmas!

and it's the freaking CORE system on top of that... this is just crazyness!!!

Blah!

Fuchikoma
1414th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Xbox 360" , posted Thu 24 Nov 03:59post reply

quote:
I was able to get one at regular price, and I like it a lot. Having problems playing XBox 1 games, though... Halo 2 takes much longer to load on the 360, and Ninja Gaiden Black slows down quite a bit. Don't know if it's a common problem or not.

That's not surprising... remember that Xbox 1 games are played through emulation and not by the hardware... since Microsoft dumped nvidia and went to ATI for their GPU.

biggsyke
19th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Xbox 360" , posted Thu 24 Nov 09:12post reply

quote:
GOOD GOD

and it's the freaking CORE system on top of that... this is just crazyness!!!

Yeah it's ridiculous. My friend waited 17 hours at a Best Buy, got his 360, and sold it on Craig's List last night for $1100.
Have fun!

"Meet me at the fork in the road where the lost souls are indecisive. Meet me at the crossroads so I can have someone to walk into the light with..." - Sage Francis Crack Pipes