Garouden Breakblow - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2601 Views )

Fuchikoma
1407th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Garouden Breakblow" , posted Wed 16 Nov 14:28post reply

This is a curious looking PS2 fighter from ESP... and it seems to have designs by the creator of Grappler Baki... or maybe based on some of his works. My curiousity has been peaked... I'll have to check it out.

Breaking and Blowing

Replies:

Nate
715th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Garouden Breakblow" , posted Wed 16 Nov 14:32post reply

quote:
This is a curious looking PS2 fighter from ESP... and it seems to have designs by the creator of Grappler Baki... or maybe based on some of his works. My curiousity has been peaked... I'll have to check it out.

Breaking and Blowing

It's a bit creepy, I think I've seen it linked before on insertcredit.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Fuchikoma
1408th Post

"Re(2):Garouden Breakblow" , posted Wed 16 Nov 15:19post reply

After some research I found that Garouden is a manga by the same author of Grappler Baki... so crazy martial arts action should insue

CHAZumaru
288th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Garouden Breakblow" , posted Wed 16 Nov 20:05post reply

It was playable at the TGS. I don't know why, but I remembered it as playable on the D3 stand. I must have mixed memories with Otokojuku. The game felt slow paced, mostly focusing on timely approachs > a few bread & butter combos > possible grapple > grapple moves > punishment on ground. Not to drop big names and drive some hopes too high, but the grapple system reminded of Tobal.

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!

exodus
3094th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):Garouden Breakblow" , posted Thu 17 Nov 01:57post reply

well I remember I kept pointing it out to people because I'd been tracking its progress for a while. and then I saw a dude who actually looked like a grappler play it, and he lost. ah well.

GekigangerV
1185th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(5):Garouden Breakblow" , posted Thu 17 Nov 09:18post reply

I've been looking forward to this game for a few months. It is made by the same people who make the Hajime No Ippo games, the best boxing games of all time.

Fuchikoma
1409th Post

"Re(6):Garouden Breakblow" , posted Thu 17 Nov 11:46post reply

I spent a couple hours playing it... and wow it's way better than I had hoped. You can tell the same attention that went into the Ippo games was put to use in this game.

What's interesting is the lifebar, both characters share the same bar and you have to seesaw it to one end in order to win. Also each character has 3 chains on their end of the bar... and breaking that chain will give you the ability to do a level 1-3 special attack. Level 3 attacks are majorly devastating for most characters... like 3/4 of the lifebar. As to be expected... there's also a lot of grapple moves... more forearms are actually tired from all the button mashing. There's also counters and quick reaction dodging... there's quite a bit of depth... grappling feels similar to the grappling characters in VF4. Also striking attacks are powered by a separate stamina bar... at the beginning of the fight you can both go all out and not even flinch, but moves become harder to block and endure as the fight drags on. You also take bodily damage and start bleeding really heavily.

The characters and moves all seem to be the same as crazy Grappler Baki stuff. They went all out for the voice talent, the main character Bunshichi is voiced by Nakai Kazuya (Zoro, Mugen, etc).

Even though I know nothing about the manga, I'm having a great time with this game! There seems to be lots of characters to unlock... including some guy in a teddy bear costume... I already locked some kid who looks and sounds exactly like Baki... but is named Ryuji.

Between this and Sonic Rush... I'm getting absolutly nothing done today.