Video Games Live - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1816 Views )

Gojira
1870th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Video Games Live" , posted Mon 14 Nov 12:07:post reply

Well I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I got to catch one of the only few shows of the Video Games Live concert, whose tour was cancelled just last month. I posted my impressions on GamingFM here:

The Video Games Live experience

Nothing too special (in neither the concert nor my impressions), but if you were curious about it, feel free to take a look.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Mon 14 Nov 12:08]

Replies:

Ishmael
2291th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Video Games Live" , posted Tue 15 Nov 01:44post reply

What exactly was the point of this concert? To show the legitimacy of videogame music? To make orchestral music seem more relevant and expose it to a segment of the population -such as people dressed like Tetris blocks- who may not otherwise attend a performance? From your impressions it sounds like the show had no idea what it was aiming for and ended up with a hodgepodge of everything up to and including lights and lasers left over from an arena rock concert.

Looking at their site the promoters claimed the show was a music concert, theatrical stage show, and interactive video game all wrapped into one! Instead the whole thing looks ghastly. Small wonder the tour was canceled.

deoch
268th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Moorata" , posted Tue 15 Nov 09:20:post reply

I went to the one at the Hollywood Bowl.

The performance of the music was very lacking.. I was pretty disappointed.

[this message was edited by deoch on Tue 15 Nov 09:21]

Gojira
1870th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Video Games Live" , posted Tue 15 Nov 14:31post reply

quote:
What exactly was the point of this concert? To show the legitimacy of videogame music? To make orchestral music seem more relevant and expose it to a segment of the population -such as people dressed like Tetris blocks- who may not otherwise attend a performance? From your impressions it sounds like the show had no idea what it was aiming for and ended up with a hodgepodge of everything up to and including lights and lasers left over from an arena rock concert.

Looking at their site the promoters claimed the show was a music concert, theatrical stage show, and interactive video game all wrapped into one! Instead the whole thing looks ghastly. Small wonder the tour was canceled.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I know they could have done much better if they hadn't made such bad decisions with the presentation. There was basically very little to draw the audience in, but a lot of stuff to pull them out. All the talking segments were unnecessary since the developers and composers they featured never really had anything interesting to say (even Kojima). And Tallarico's MCing was like watching Carson Daly on MTV. It really screwed up the mood.

Undead Fred
2533th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Video Games Live" , posted Thu 17 Nov 11:00post reply

quote:
From your impressions it sounds like the show had no idea what it was aiming for and ended up with a hodgepodge of everything up to and including lights and lasers left over from an arena rock concert.
I was watching the clips on the site... and now I've got a serious craving to watch Spinal Tap again.