Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider 2? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2600 Views )

OmegaDog
1561th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider 2?" , posted Wed 9 Nov 04:59:post reply

So, after getting a craving for some Strider, I recently scored Strider 1 & 2 for PS1, in great condition, for really cheap at an EBX store. And, I proceeded to play the hell out of the original Strider.

I think I'm about ready to move to Strider 2. Thing is, the story presentation of the original Arcade Strider can be a real mess.

I haven't played through much of the NES version of Strider just yet (I'd need to hunt down the cart and get it), but it seemed like it does more to cover some kind of deeper storyline and better presentation of it. (It even seems to show that with the way that "Next Episode" teasers are delivered with every password, from what I remember.)

Strider 2's instruction manual seems to make note of a couple of plot points -- points that the NES version of Strider seemed to do a better job referencing, as compared to the original Arcade version of Strider.

So, I'm just wondering -- without spoiling anything, and without giving away any of the surprises (like the "secret connection" between Strider 1 and 2, to be shown when both are completed, as mentioned in the instruction manual ) -- should I hunt down the cart and play through Strider NES before I play through Strider 2? Or would it be better to play through Strider 2 and reveal the "secret connection" afterward?

Maybe a simple "Yes" or "No" answer might be the best way to answer it. Don't know if you feel more needs to be said, though.

[You might've already surmised that I already have my guesses as to what the "secret connection" could already be. I know I could look this all up and spoil everything -- but something tells me it'd be better to just ask in a spoiler-free fashion.]

"So... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY!" || CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Wed 9 Nov 05:24]

Replies:

Ishmael
2281th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider " , posted Wed 9 Nov 06:01post reply

Um, perhaps it would be better if you spelled out what you think the connection is, because from your post it sounds like you think the games are connected in a single, unifed plot. The NES Strider is a bit ahead of it's time but aside from wonky controls it is a fun game. The story in it, however, seems to be based on the Strider manga and not on the game's arcade counterpart.

aderack
192th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider" , posted Wed 9 Nov 06:04post reply

quote:
The story in it, however, seems to be based on the Strider manga and not on the game's arcade counterpart.

Both are true. The NES game is actually set something like a year or two after the arcade one. Hypothetically.

Grave
929th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider" , posted Wed 9 Nov 09:39post reply

The control in the NES Strider is infuriating. Go ahead, give it a shot. It's not a very good game. Nice concept, but the execution is pretty crappy.

Dr Baghead
3521th Post

"Re(1):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider " , posted Wed 9 Nov 10:19post reply

What the secret connection are:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
An extra stage, Stage 00, in Strider 2... it's nothing fancy really.

End of Spoiler

yep that be all.

Oh, but I guess beating Strider 2 you get:

To play as the 'Evil Grey Strider'in Strider 2

End of Spoiler

Maybe that's closer to what you were expecting as the surprise? And then...

Beating the Game with Evil Strider gives you unlimited boost

End of Spoiler

If you're expecting anything like NES Strider being unlocked, sorry, it ain't that... and why ain't that in spoiler space?! because if you were excepting it it's better to dash your hopes now then have you find out that's totally NOTE the surprise and be upset.

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

simonbelmont
51th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider" , posted Wed 9 Nov 10:27post reply

quote:
Um, perhaps it would be better if you spelled out what you think the connection is, because from your post it sounds like you think the games are connected in a single, unifed plot. The NES Strider is a bit ahead of it's time but aside from wonky controls it is a fun game. The story in it, however, seems to be based on the Strider manga and not on the game's arcade counterpart.

I wasn't aware that there was a Strider manga. Is it worth checking out? I always thought that Strider 2 was just a remake of Strider 1.

All the enemy bosses pretty much seem the same

End of Spoiler

Anyone know where to find the Strider 2 soundtrack?

Red Falcon
5608th Post

"Re(3):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider" , posted Wed 9 Nov 11:22post reply

Wow, a Strider thread! What a nice surprise.

quote:
I always thought that Strider 2 was just a remake of Strider 1.

It pretty much is, but not all of the enemy bosses are the same, only the trio of Tong Poos and Solo show up again. Admiral Wilhelm and that.. other German guy whose name I can't remember off hand (Herzog Schlange?) with the hydra are completely new charas. The Politicheskoe Byuro is sadly completely absent (so is the pirate, but nobody cares about him) I play Strider 2 without the boosts at all, it's actually quite challenging as opposed to being very, very easy.

I'm glad to see there has been no mention of that... OTHER Strider 2 here, where he's rescuing his girlfriend from aliens. Wait... damn. >_<

quote:

From me, possibly?

Best site EVER:Link Here

Mog
399th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider" , posted Wed 9 Nov 13:03post reply

quote:

gamemusic.com still has it in stock, and it's possible that other places may still have it as well.

quote:

From me, possibly?

Or me, though I would suggest buying if at all possible since it's still avaliable.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know where I could find a copy of the Strider manga? I've had an impossible time tracking it down, so any help would be appriciated.

Variable Savior
317th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider" , posted Wed 9 Nov 14:29post reply

I really can't recommend playing the NES version of Strider. It was really weak back in the day - I can't imagine how god awful it'd be now.

And I can't say I remember it having an impressive plot. If you're only interested in plot points then save yourself some time and money and just read the dialogue/plot info on the Gamefaqs FAQ.

Blood marks heaven's path

Joe Randel
458th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider" , posted Wed 9 Nov 22:57post reply

I remember playing Strider for the NES and cursing the game for it's bad controls. It's crazy to think that the game/character ever became popular after the NES version.

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Ishmael
2283th Post

"Re(3):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider" , posted Thu 10 Nov 02:12post reply

quote:
I wasn't aware that there was a Strider manga. Is it worth checking out?

If you can find a copy of the manga let me know since old copies of it don't seem to show up very often for sale. From the little I've seen of it the manga looked quite violent but considering Strider's entire thing centers around him running around chopping people in half the bloodshed was to be expected.

quote:
I'm glad to see there has been no mention of that... OTHER Strider 2 here, where he's rescuing his girlfriend from aliens. Wait... damn. >_<

I thought the US Gold game was declared apocryphal and stricken from the Strider records.

simonbelmont
52th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider" , posted Thu 10 Nov 05:13post reply

quote:

From me, possibly?

You own it!? Nice. Maybe we can work something out. When I trade files with my friends I usually do it over AOL chat. Or I could give you my e-mail address. Whatever method you prefer. I wouldn't mind having my own hard copy but paying $25 for any soundtrack is a little too much...

HAYATO
537th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider" , posted Thu 10 Nov 08:32post reply

quote:
I thought the US Gold game was declared apocryphal and stricken from the Strider records.

Yeah, it was gone for good (what a pain of a game...). The funny thing about US Gold's Strider 2 was that you could choose between two different kind of swords : the classic one and a new, crappy Skywalker/Hayatoesque plasma sword...

BTW, does anyone know more details (artist, publisher, etc) about this Strider manga? I didn't know such a thing exists...

Damn, talking so much about Strider made me eager to playing it again... *starting emu...*

Mog
400th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider" , posted Thu 10 Nov 14:05post reply

quote:

BTW, does anyone know more details (artist, publisher, etc) about this Strider manga? I didn't know such a thing exists...

Moto Kikaku did the illistrations (hense why any game with Hiryu in it has (c) Moto Kikaku in the credits) and I believe it ran in Monthly Comp Comics. That's about all I know though...

simonbelmont
53th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider" , posted Thu 10 Nov 18:52post reply

quote:

http://lscmainframe.topcities.com/manga.html

HAYATO
538th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider" , posted Thu 10 Nov 19:13post reply

quote:

Thank you sires, you already made my day...

Ishmael
2286th Post

"Re(6):Q: Playing Strider NES before Strider" , posted Fri 11 Nov 00:59post reply

quote:

Yay, thank you!