I talked about pixels damn it! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1665 Views )

Joe Randel
457th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"I talked about pixels damn it!" , posted Sun 6 Nov 04:24post reply

Well the Montreal Game Summit came and went this past week and so I stood up infront of about 75 - 100 people and said my two bits on pixel work in today's market. I was really nervous, but everyone came up after and told me that I did a great job.

The director of the arts and media department of the college I went to was also there and she was so impressed that I've been asked to come back to speak to the animation grads this year as a guest speaker plus give my summit presentation to the new game development class that has started up there and be on the pannel of people that makes sure the class structure is follwing what industry is doing currently. I'm very excited.

Other seminars that I saw was Warren Spector and gave a good talk about how the game indusrty is gonna tank if the content doesn't change. He even called out (in pwer point form) EA as well as other billion dollar studios on the fact that they should take a chance in makeing a game that's different instead of just making a game based off a movie or the typical "me too" attitude that more NA developers seem to have. A good question he presented was this. If the world was to end tomorrow, would you be happy with the state that games are in right now. His answer was no, and I agree with him.

I skiped out on Neil Young's (EA's VP)talk mostly because I was practiceing for my talk and a little bit of I really didn't care.

I saw Hideki Konno (Manager/Producer of Software Development Group No. 1 at Nintendo) and he talked about Nintendogs and how they totally accomplished the goal of getting nongamers interested in games with that title. Also, I guess they originally planned to have 15 different versions of the game. Basicly one for each bread of dog so that when you went to the local game store it would seem like a pet shop for your DS. Crazy. Iwata and Miyamoto loved this idea apparently o_O. He also talked about the bark mode of Nintendogs and how it's a major success and on Mario Kart DS's WiFi and how simple it is to use (right out of the box). Finally he talked about the Revolution and even had a controller with him. Also something I didn't know is that he said that he thinks the analog stick that you hold with your left hand is going to be packaged with the system. Good to know.

I didn't stay long the second day seeing as how I had a major leak in my basement that needed attending too but oh well. All the free shoulder bags that EA gave out (one to each person that attended the summit) smelled like a plastic toxic stew and gave me a massive headache so just went home.

Pretty small summit though, only 700+ people I heard. This was it's second year, but all in all, not a bad experience.

Now my next project is to write out my summit speach for people that didn't get to go.

P.S. - Brandon, sorry I didn't get back to you. I did send you an e-mail but it bounced back and I got caught up doing the last of the power point presentation that I forgot to try again.

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Replies:

Ishmael
2276th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):I talked about pixels damn it!" , posted Mon 7 Nov 06:26post reply

Congrats on a successful presentation. If you ever get a summary of what you discussed posted on-line be sure and let us know what the link is.

quote:
A good question he presented was this. If the world was to end tomorrow, would you be happy with the state that games are in right now. His answer was no, and I agree with him.

Personally I would be annoyed that the world was ending but I'm selfish like that. It's a bit of a shame that you didn't hear what EA's man had to say since the company is not only known for games that may be competent but not creatively groundbreaking and for being very successful. It would have made for an interesting counter-point to Spector's rallying cry.

exodus
3068th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):I talked about pixels damn it!" , posted Mon 7 Nov 10:03post reply

quote:
P.S. - Brandon, sorry I didn't get back to you. I did send you an e-mail but it bounced back and I got caught up doing the last of the power point presentation that I forgot to try again.

s'okay, I'll follow up again. even if it bounces, it gets through, oddly.

Joe Randel
459th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):I talked about pixels damn it!" , posted Thu 10 Nov 06:31post reply

Gamespot has a big article on what Warren Spector said about the game industry and how he bashed Rockstar and such during his Montreal Summit talk.

Read, read, read

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness