Help? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1480 Views )

ZamIAm
1545th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Help?" , posted Sat 29 Oct 14:49post reply

The cable to my arcade stick snapped in half. With patience I managed to resplice it. Now my Dreamcast's controller ports don't seem to work. Anyone else have this problem? I'm praying this is just a temporary retardation and that the system will work fine when I get up in the morning and not my needing to replace the system.

B.E.T. doesn't care about black people...

Replies:

crazymike
1181th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Help?" , posted Sat 29 Oct 15:00post reply

Let me use some of my magic on it

Abracadabra, zoom, zooooom, ZOOOOM!

Seriously, I'll call CDW, they will have it fixed in the morning

(Okay I know that is cruel and mean but I don't know what to tell you)

ZamIAm
1546th Post

"Re(2):Help?" , posted Sat 29 Oct 15:12post reply

quote:
Let me use some of my magic on it

Abracadabra, zoom, zooooom, ZOOOOM!

Seriously, I'll call CDW, they will have it fixed in the morning

(Okay I know that is cruel and mean but I don't know what to tell you)

Har. If I'm right we live in the same city. The "I'll hunt you down" comments I could make might actually have weight (until you beat me down but that's another topic).

B.E.T. doesn't care about black people...

OmegaDog
1558th Post

"Re(1):Help?" , posted Sat 29 Oct 18:56post reply

I've had Dreamcast controller ports blow up on me before. It was due to plugging in and turning on the system with a controller that had a frayed cable.

I bought another controller port from my local used game shop (for USD 25 back then) -- but as it turns out, all I needed to do was replace one of the resistors on that small controller port board (for about USD 0.25 to about USD 1.00 -- plus any additional costs for a soldering iron and solder, which might be more expensive). [I found that out when I fried the second controller port with the same controller. That controller is now disassembled for parts.]

If you open up your Dreamcast and look at the controller port board, it's the resistor marked F1 there. (As for what value resistance it is, it's been a while since I've had to do it -- anyone know the resistance value off hand?)

"So... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY!" || CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21