GS OBJECTION over the internet - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2782 Views )

OmegaDog
1557th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"GS OBJECTION over the internet" , posted Thu 20 Oct 23:34post reply

IT IS A POWERFUL WEAPON

Input text, copy link, post. Text links above the Flash switch the attorney.

"So... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY!" || CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21

Replies:

Radish
3067th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):GS OBJECTION over the internet" , posted Fri 21 Oct 01:19post reply

NEAT!

I didn't want to make a new thread since I've seen tons here already for the original games, but I finally got my order from Capcom and I'm glad Iggy has been touting this for so long. I'm on the third case, and while their justice system is a mockery it's really fun and the translation is excellent.

Also Capcom gave me a bunch of free shit with my order including a pointing finger stylus, a bookmark, an e3 catalogue of their games, a demo of some pinball game and a "Pheonix Wright" T shirt. Score.

Pollyanna
1473th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):GS OBJECTION over the internet" , posted Fri 21 Oct 05:11post reply

quote:
and the translation is excellent.

You mean the SCRIPT is excellent?

exodus
3050th Post

"Re(3):GS OBJECTION over the internet" , posted Fri 21 Oct 05:41post reply

quote:
You mean the SCRIPT is excellent?

I mean your MOM is excellent.

Actually, I asked Capcom a bit ago, and they said that aside from some cultural things, they didn't rewrite, largely translated.

Maou
716th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):GS OBJECTION over the internet" , posted Fri 21 Oct 06:31post reply

quote:
I mean your MOM is excellent.

Heheh, going for the Belmont approach. This reminds me, anyone recall the original link used for "damare, kowappa!" responses to stupid questions?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Black_Hayato
150th Post

Regular Customer

"Sales figures" , posted Fri 21 Oct 06:58post reply

I picked up a used DS($80) for this game and Castlevania DS and Nanostray.

Just wondering but does anyone know how well the game's selling? Or where I can get sales figures for games in general; like resources that sites and bloggers use. Cause I hope to play the sequels too.

Pollyanna
1477th Post

"Re(1):Sales figures" , posted Fri 21 Oct 07:13post reply

I'm not trying to pick on the English translation. Not now at least.

My point was that the goodness of the script that the goodness of the translation aren't necessarily related, and if you haven't played the Japanese, you can't comment on the translation.

But, from what I've seen, the writing, while not especially accurate, is reasonably clever and well-written. It's not my idea of a good translation, but it's not lazy or poor.

exodus
3051th Post

"Re(2):Sales figures" , posted Fri 21 Oct 07:31post reply

I can agree with that, sure.

but begrudgingly!

Pollyanna
1479th Post

"Re(3):Sales figures" , posted Fri 21 Oct 07:35post reply

By the way, I'm still trying to figure out if the comment about my Mom is offensive, or if I'm just jealous. Maybe I'm just upset because my mom is an internet whore.

exodus
3052th Post

"Re(4):Sales figures" , posted Fri 21 Oct 07:49post reply

quote:
By the way, I'm still trying to figure out if the comment about my Mom is offensive, or if I'm just jealous.

can't it be both?

Iggy
7339th Post

"Re(5):GS OBJECTION over the internet" , posted Fri 21 Oct 18:12post reply

quote:
This reminds me, anyone recall the original link used for "damare, kowappa!" responses to stupid questions?

Are you talking of the scan of the Yotsubato page I used (I think I uploaded it myself on the image BBS) or of something more sophisticated ?

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Radish
3070th Post

"Re(2):Sales figures" , posted Fri 21 Oct 22:43post reply

quote:
I'm not trying to pick on the English translation. Not now at least.

My point was that the goodness of the script that the goodness of the translation aren't necessarily related, and if you haven't played the Japanese, you can't comment on the translation.

But, from what I've seen, the writing, while not especially accurate, is reasonably clever and well-written. It's not my idea of a good translation, but it's not lazy or poor.

Eh whatever. That's pretty picky considering that the English script is generally refered to as a translation (no matter how inacurate it is). I don't think this is Samurai Pizza Cats where the original is thrown out and completely rewritten.

I see what you're saying, but I kinda think it's not worth arguing over.

Maou
717th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):GS OBJECTION over the internet" , posted Sat 22 Oct 01:51post reply

quote:
Are you talking of the scan of the Yotsubato page I used (I think I uploaded it myself on the image BBS) or of something more sophisticated ?

Heh, that's right, I remember you linked that at some perfect point in a thread, but I can't for the life of me remember when or if it was even on the new image board or not...I liked it, though.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Mog
397th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):GS OBJECTION over the internet" , posted Sat 22 Oct 02:26post reply

quote:
IT IS A POWERFUL WEAPON

Oh, how I'm going to run this thing into the ground... Thanks!

Pollyanna
1481th Post

"Re(3):Sales figures" , posted Sat 22 Oct 03:24post reply

quote:

Eh whatever. That's pretty picky considering that the English script is generally refered to as a translation (no matter how inacurate it is). I don't think this is Samurai Pizza Cats where the original is thrown out and completely rewritten.

I see what you're saying, but I kinda think it's not worth arguing over.

You're right. I'm not really trying to argue so much as I'm trying to make a point. This is unavoidable for me, because I'm a professional scriptwriter and I'm always trying to point out details between the script and translation, because they ARE different things. Oh, how I argue about these things on shows I work on.

But I guess if I would have said "the translation isn't totally accurate, but at least it's well written" and everyone would know what I was talking about all the same. Regardless, when the characters aren't saying what the characters are supposed to be saying, then I have to say the translation isn't especially accurate.

I'm not trying to say that Phoenix Wright is an inferior experience to GS, just a bit different.

exodus
3055th Post

"Re(4):Sales figures" , posted Sat 22 Oct 03:33:post reply

I have to say, now that I have an 'assistant', the game has become 20x more annoying. Now, instead of having internal thoughts about things, and figuring crap out for myself, I have some ugly girl complaining she's hungry when I'm looking for clues, and saying HEY DOESN'T THAT LOOK SUSPICIOUS?

I mean every once in a while she gives up a useful hint, but man. I just don't want her there, she makes investigating take about three times as long, and her personality is just awful. It's seriously making me like the game a lot less, and I'm re-evaluating how much time I want to invest in it.

[edit]
spellings am difuclut

[this message was edited by exodus on Sat 22 Oct 03:34]

Iggy
7342th Post

"Re(5):Sales figures" , posted Sat 22 Oct 03:46post reply

Is it just me, or is Exodus trying to maybe imply he never played GS until the US translation ?

Of course not. It's impossible. All the pants in the world couldn't save him if it was the case.

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Pollyanna
1482th Post

"Re(6):Sales figures" , posted Sat 22 Oct 03:52post reply

quote:
Is it just me, or is Exodus trying to maybe imply he never played GS until the US translation ?

Of course not. It's impossible. All the pants in the world couldn't save him if it was the case.

He's too cool for video games.

I hate this. I import a game, and if I talk about it, no one is interested, because no one is playing it (except maybe Fuchikoma, but I don't want to talk to him, because he's a dirty scallywag). Then when it omes out in America, I've forgotten about it, or people use weird names for the characters I don't know. OR they seem to think the American version is better somehow.

And did nobody pick up Minstrel Song? What about Shadow of the Collosus? That's the motherfucking game of the year, damn it!!!!

CHAZumaru
264th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):Sales figures" , posted Sat 22 Oct 04:13post reply

quote:

And did nobody pick up Minstrel Song? What about Shadow of the Collosus? That's the motherfucking game of the year, damn it!!!!

Well, yesterday afternoon, I had the choice between ordering Shadow of the Colossus and Minstrel Song.
And I picked Minstrel Song.
That must say something.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
...besides the fact I am going to "save" a friend's SotC DVD because I don't trust the US version, I mean.

End of Spoiler

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!

exodus
3055th Post

"Re(8):Sales figures" , posted Sat 22 Oct 04:31post reply

It'd true, I'd never played GS...

I can speak japanese ok, but as I think I've mentioned, I'm about as literate as a small child. I just never paid attention in school. like on my tests I'd just leave the kanji section blank and ace the rest of it in order to pass.

And I haven't gotten shadown of colossus - I've yet to figure out how to play the demo, and aside from that, it looks like the game has some frustrating bits in it, and a lot of just riding around looking for things and holding your sword up. I dunno, it's no Ico, far's I can tell. Fumito Ueda's a bit of a wackjob, besides.

Iggy
7343th Post

"Re(8):Sales figures" , posted Sat 22 Oct 04:41post reply

quote:

YOU WHAT !?

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Pollyanna
1483th Post

"Re(9):Sales figures" , posted Sat 22 Oct 05:13post reply

quote:

And I haven't gotten shadown of colossus - I've yet to figure out how to play the demo, and aside from that, it looks like the game has some frustrating bits in it, and a lot of just riding around looking for things and holding your sword up. I dunno, it's no Ico, far's I can tell. Fumito Ueda's a bit of a wackjob, besides.

Not so much riding around, no. I'm almost at the end and I've encountered 2 frustrating parts that remedy themselves fairly quickly (I kept getting stuck INSIDE one render, and another enemy just knocks you down too much). In my opinion, it's...well...I like it much more than ICO...much much more. I can't say it's better for -sure-, because it depends on your taste, but it's absolutely as good.

But you don't really LIKE video games, do you? The only thing I can figure out that you like is Korea, because you're always reporting on Korean things. Other than that, I can only imagine that you lead a completely empty life, pulled along by the puppet strings of awesomeosity.

exodus
3057th Post

"Re(10):Sales figures" , posted Sat 22 Oct 05:37:post reply

quote:

But you don't really LIKE video games, do you?

It's a tough question, and indeed not many people pick up on that fact. I mean, yeah, I pretty much hate most of them, but there are just a few that I like enough to keep playing. And I sure do own a lot of the things for some reason. So, yes and no. I don't like them per se, but I regard them as interesting and unique enough to be compelled by them.

quote:

The only thing I can figure out that you like is Korea, because you're always reporting on Korean things.

Actually I kind of don't like korea, even though I haven't been there. I'm just impressed by how they're pulling themselves up by the bootstraps to become a real international player.

The thing I actually like is music. But I can't play it, I never talk about it to anyone aside from one friend. I just...think about it, and make mental connections about grander patterns, which I then forget, and all go to waste. I listen to music about 10 hours of every day, and buy about 20 CDs per month, and attend about a concert per week, on average. Strange, eh?

[edit]
forgot a thing I like: girls. fashion I hate, but I have to figure it out, or else I can't date lesbians anymore.

[this message was edited by exodus on Sat 22 Oct 05:39]

CHAZumaru
265th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(9):Sales figures" , posted Sat 22 Oct 06:21post reply

quote:

YOU WHAT !?

Don't blame me, blame the system

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!

aderack
185th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Sales figures" , posted Sat 22 Oct 11:30post reply

quote:
But I guess if I would have said "the translation isn't totally accurate, but at least it's well written" and everyone would know what I was talking about all the same.

Alternatively, you can comment on how good the localization is.

HOH!

Juan
4227th Post

"ROLLING ON THE FLOOR STARVING" , posted Sat 22 Oct 14:37:post reply

what

quote:
but begrudgingly!

[this message was edited by Juan on Sat 22 Oct 14:38]

Pollyanna
1484th Post

"Re(5):Sales figures" , posted Sat 22 Oct 23:42post reply

quote:

Alternatively, you can comment on how good the localization is.
HOH!

Or one might say that the localization is a combination of the translation and script!

Also, Brandon...that's wonderful. Music is wonderful. If there's one thing I hate about my job, it's that it doesn't allow me to listen to music very often.

exodus
3057th Post

"phoenix rising" , posted Wed 26 Oct 01:58post reply

quote:

Or one might say that the localization is a combination of the translation and script!

Which I think is what he was saying, by extension.

quote:

Also, Brandon...that's wonderful. Music is wonderful. If there's one thing I hate about my job, it's that it doesn't allow me to listen to music very often.

yeah, well I sit at a desk...perfect for musicness. Then I go home and listen to music, drive somewhere and listen to music...it's no wonder I spent $700 on CDs when I went to japan in september, and maybe $100 on games, half of which I intended to sell!

Anyway, about Phoenix Wright - the girl (maya) gets less annoying as things progress, and the DS exclusive trial has quite a pretty intro, with parallax scrolling and a 3D silhouette or two. I'm still enjoying the game, much to my surprise, and am now thinking of most conversations in terms of testimonies and evidence.

kofoguz
229th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):phoenix rising" , posted Wed 26 Oct 06:48:post reply

Very soon.

PAMUKKALE/COTTON CASTLE

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Wed 26 Oct 06:49]

Ishmael
2256th Post

"Re(1):phoenix rising" , posted Wed 26 Oct 22:45post reply

quote:

...it's no wonder I spent $700 on CDs when I went to japan in september, and maybe $100 on games, half of which I intended to sell!

You dropped 700 bones on old Fushitsusha albums? That's dedication.