More on Gensô Suikoden V - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1116 Views )

Maese Spt
81th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"More on Gensô Suikoden V (Updated!!!)" , posted Thu 20 Oct 19:08:post reply

Dunno if this would interest anyone around here, but here you are a few more details on the fifth ("official") game in GenSui franchise:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0510/game051020a.shtml

I like the design of Georg and Felid/Ferid a lot, it somehow reminds me of Tony Wong´s wuxia comics (specially Felid´s).

Seeing how young Georg Prime seems, one can presume already the time frame of this story: it looks like we´re going to behold (at last) the assasination of Falena´s queen, wich was mentioned in Georg´s profile in GenSui II. Thus, a good amount of mysteries and speculations about Suikoden world will be solved.

The the story and scenario look very promising insofar, and since that´s the true charm of this series I´m very excited about this game.

"At his coming the gods themselves are put to flight and the Buddhas vanish"

[this message was edited by Maese Spt on Fri 18 Nov 05:41]

Replies:

Radish
3065th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):More on Gensô Suikoden V" , posted Thu 20 Oct 21:34post reply

quote:
Dunno if this would interest anyone around here, but here you are a few more details on the fifth ("official") game in GenSui franchise:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0510/game051020a.shtml

I like the design of Georg and Felid/Ferid a lot, it somehow reminds me of Tony Wong´s wuxia comics (specially Felid´s).

Seeing how young Georg Prime seems, one can presume already the time frame of this story: it looks like we´re going to behold (at last) the assasination of Falena´s queen, wich was mentioned in Georg´s profile in GenSui II. Thus, a good amount of mysteries and speculations about Suikoden world will be solved.

The the story and scenario look very promising insofar, and since that´s the true charm of this series I´m very excited about this game.

Thanks for that.

So do we know yet if this is a sequel or a prequel? I didn't bother with 4 since the general consensus was that it wasn't that great plus prequels generally bore me.

Whatever happens with this game, one thing is certain: Most androgynous Suikoden EVER.

E5150
100th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):More on Gensô Suikoden V" , posted Thu 20 Oct 21:54post reply

I think it takes place after IV and before I

tenguman
260th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):More on Gensô Suikoden V" , posted Thu 20 Oct 23:04post reply

The artwork is quite something, isn't it?

「この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ。」

Pollyanna
1474th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):More on Gensô Suikoden V" , posted Fri 21 Oct 05:16post reply

The problem with Suiko 4 being a prequel is that it did absolutely nothing for the story. I'm still irritated that they're doing ANOTHER prequel, since the end of 3 made me think the series was going somewhere, but I'll be satisfied if they just make a decent GAME.

I'll settle for a bad game with a great scenario (like 3) or a good game with a mediocre scenario (like Rhapsodia) but no more bad game/bad scenario (like 4).

PS: Excluding the fact that some characters can randomly die and others can't (and some irritating menus), Rhapsodia is excellent.

Maese Spt
41th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):More on Gensô Suikoden V" , posted Fri 21 Oct 06:07post reply

quote:
I think it takes place after IV and before I

I think so as well. I bet it will be about 10 or 20 years before the Gate Rune Wars.

And I agree with Pollyanna in all her statements. But actually I think a prequel isn´t a bad thing per se. That is, as long as it´s well done, settles some obscure plotlines and has a meaning to the rest of the story overall... and it seems to be the case this time. Or so I want to believe at least.

BTW, is Rhapsodia any good? I´m curious about this game, I like the "gaiden" concept. Suikoden IV´s story left a lot of potentially juicy things underdeveloped, so it could be interesting to retell the tale from a didfferent point of view, much like Suikogaiden did with Suikoden II. Should I look forward to Rhapsodia, then?

P.S.
Yeah, thanks heavens the artwork remains as good as usual in this fifth chapter, but there is a new artist, I believe. That´s not Ishikawa Fumi´s nor Kawano Junko´s work.

The brave do not fear the grave

Pollyanna
1476th Post

"Re(6):More on Gensô Suikoden V" , posted Fri 21 Oct 06:37post reply

Rhapsodia is great if you like challenging "old school" SRPGs. You don't have a whole lot of options/character building, but the system is solid and the battles are challenging. The plot is neither good nor bad (though the new characters are almost all bland). It made me appreciate that I liked a large number of the supporting cast in Suiko 4, and unlike Suiko 4, you have a large number of choices when it comes to who you can use on your team.

The one thing that ruins that (and the game, in my opinion) is that some characters can die permenantly and others can't. Naturally, the main characters can't. Naturally, I don't want to use them. When a character is defeated in combat, they either withdraw, or die. It's random, but if they die, then they're gone for good.

The problem here is that the game is so brutal sometimes that it's totally possible to die in one hit, or at the very least, before you have the chance to do anything about it. If you had one person to protect (as you sometimes do) it's one thing, but it's another thing entirely when 2/3 of your party can die in one shot and then be gone forever. Naturally, there's a LOT of resetting (or choosing "retry", rather).

At first, I enjoyed the challenge, but the system just causes too much irritation. There are also fights where you have to protect people, who, of course, can also die in one shot, and who, of course, sometimes refuse to heal themselves our stay out of HUGE ENEMY CROWDS.

Adon
1547th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Fire Emblem" , posted Fri 21 Oct 07:14post reply

quote:
Rhapsodia is great if you like challenging "old school" SRPGs. You don't have a whole lot of options/character building, but the system is solid and the battles are challenging. The plot is neither good nor bad (though the new characters are almost all bland). It made me appreciate that I liked a large number of the supporting cast in Suiko 4, and unlike Suiko 4, you have a large number of choices when it comes to who you can use on your team.

The one thing that ruins that (and the game, in my opinion) is that some characters can die permenantly and others can't. Naturally, the main characters can't. Naturally, I don't want to use them. When a character is defeated in combat, they either withdraw, or die. It's random, but if they die, then they're gone for good.

The problem here is that the game is so brutal sometimes that it's totally possible to die in one hit, or at the very least, before you have the chance to do anything about it. If you had one person to protect (as you sometimes do) it's one thing, but it's another thing entirely when 2/3 of your party can die in one shot and then be gone forever. Naturally, there's a LOT of resetting (or choosing "retry", rather).

At first, I enjoyed the challenge, but the system just causes too much irritation. There are also fights where you have to protect people, who, of course, can also die in one shot, and who, of course, sometimes refuse to heal themselves our stay out of HUGE ENEMY CROWDS.

When dying permanently do you have the option of restarting the mission to correct that mistake? From what you are describing this game seems to be playing like Fire Emblem. Except there is not retreat in Fire Emblem you are simply just dead. Speaking of Fire Emblem, any one play the new one for GC

Pollyanna
1478th Post

"Re(1):Fire Emblem" , posted Fri 21 Oct 07:21post reply

Yes, you can restart quickly and easily. It's just that I get sick of accidents that are beyond my control...especially when the fights drag on.

Radish
3071th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):More on Gensô Suikoden V" , posted Fri 21 Oct 22:49post reply

quote:
The problem with Suiko 4 being a prequel is that it did absolutely nothing for the story. I'm still irritated that they're doing ANOTHER prequel, since the end of 3 made me think the series was going somewhere, but I'll be satisfied if they just make a decent GAME.

I'll settle for a bad game with a great scenario (like 3) or a good game with a mediocre scenario (like Rhapsodia) but no more bad game/bad scenario (like 4).

PS: Excluding the fact that some characters can randomly die and others can't (and some irritating menus), Rhapsodia is excellent.

This is my problem with sequels as well. I already know what generally happened so unless there's some huge revelation that affects the overall series plot, nothing really progresses. I'd rather have a sequel where they go with the evolving storyline.

I don't mind the occational prequel and Suikoden certainly has a backstory that could be expounded on, but I think one was enough.

Maese Spt
43th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(7):More on Gensô Suikoden V" , posted Mon 24 Oct 19:50post reply

quote:

Hmm, that means bad news for me. I quit playing FF Tactics for similar reasons... it was too frustrating for me having to retry every three or two battles just because Belldandy, my lv.35 archer, had died for good.

But I´m such a GenSui fanboy that I think I´ll end up playing Rhapsodia anyway.

quote:
Suikoden certainly has a backstory that could be expounded on,

You are right, Suikoden world has quite a story to tell. And a History as well. There is a brief example: http://www.suikox.com/timeline.html

I´ve been always curious about how Holy Kingdom of Harmonia would look like. It´s a pretty misterious country wich plays a role in almost every game of the series, but nothing much is known about it...

trogdor
42th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(8):More on Gensô Suikoden V" , posted Wed 26 Oct 11:51post reply

i can't see why games are continually made with the permadeath thing. to me it's just a lame way for the designers to add challenge. most of the time it's just a minor inconvenience, but in the case of fire emblem it is downright frustrating.

Maese Spt
69th Post

Occasional Customer

"Release date confirmed" , posted Mon 7 Nov 17:47:post reply

According to "The Magic Box", the game is scheduled for a February 23 (2006) release in Japan. I would expect some delays, though.

EDIT: also, some character scpeculation is fine too: http://suikox.com/s5/s5chars.html

[this message was edited by Maese Spt on Mon 7 Nov 19:40]

Maese Spt
80th Post

Occasional Customer

"New scenario writer" , posted Fri 18 Nov 05:40post reply

According to Suikox, Suikoden V will have a brand new scenario writer (wich is quite natural, since Murayama left Konami some time ago), a certain Kazuyoshi Tsugawa. I quote Suikox:

"7dream.com, the online retailing site of Japan's Seven Eleven revealed the scenario writer for Suikoden 5 (most likely a PR blunder) among other new information. The scenario writer is Kazuyoshi Tsugawa, his most notable work being Eternal Arcadia (aka Skies of Arcadia)"

He has also done the scenario for OZ, so he is alredy familiar with part of the Suikoden staff.

Well, while fanboys at Suikox boards seem very hyped about this Tsugawa guy, I don´t know what to think about him. I have not played Skies of Arcadia, so I don´t know if he´s a reliable guy to overcome such a task, since scenario is the true cornerstone of every GenSui. I wanna ask you, fellow MMCafers (who surely have played both OZ and Skies of Arcadia), what do you think.

Oh, and, by the way, Jeanne and Viki´s appearances have been officialy confirmed. Like if anyone had doubts about it...

Pollyanna
1506th Post

"Re(1):New scenario writer" , posted Fri 18 Nov 06:23:post reply

Mentioning Skies of Arcadia often results in an argument here.

OZ...erm...well, hmmm...OZ had a good scenario for the type of game it was, I suppose. It served the game very well, but I wouldn't say it was especially good. Based on his experience...eheheh...well, it's up in the air. I wouldn't say this is good news, but many people who liked Suikoden (girls, usually) liked Skies of Arcadia...so that might explain it.

I'll take a Suiko with an awesome scenario and bad gameplay (like 3) or one with decent gameplay, but I can't take another bad gameplay/bad scenario (like 4).

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Fri 18 Nov 20:04]

Gojira
1871th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):New scenario writer" , posted Fri 18 Nov 19:44post reply

quote:
According to Suikox, Suikoden V will have a brand new scenario writer (wich is quite natural, since Murayama left Konami some time ago), a certain Kazuyoshi Tsugawa. I quote Suikox:

"7dream.com, the online retailing site of Japan's Seven Eleven revealed the scenario writer for Suikoden 5 (most likely a PR blunder) among other new information. The scenario writer is Kazuyoshi Tsugawa, his most notable work being Eternal Arcadia (aka Skies of Arcadia)"

He has also done the scenario for OZ, so he is alredy familiar with part of the Suikoden staff.

Well, while fanboys at Suikox boards seem very hyped about this Tsugawa guy, I don´t know what to think about him. I have not played Skies of Arcadia, so I don´t know if he´s a reliable guy to overcome such a task, since scenario is the true cornerstone of every GenSui. I wanna ask you, fellow MMCafers (who surely have played both OZ and Skies of Arcadia), what do you think.

Oh, and, by the way, Jeanne and Viki´s appearances have been officialy confirmed. Like if anyone had doubts about it...

Viki was already kind of confirmed in the trailer on Gamespot, but only in voice.

I've played Skies of Arcadia, and it's a mixed bag. I'll just say that scenario design was handled very well and leave it there. It was actually quite Gensui-like, so I don't think there's much to worry about. As for OZ, I'm interested in it but haven't played.

Adon
1550th Post

"The man in Red" , posted Sun 20 Nov 04:58post reply

Killey

http://suikox.com/s5/g5jump1.jpg

Maese Spt
88th Post

Occasional Customer

"Art director´s blog" , posted Tue 22 Nov 18:18:post reply

Thanks for the comments about that Tsugawa guy, your opinions pretty much confirm what I had already heard or thought. Let´s just keep the fingers crossed and hope for a good scenario this time...

BTW, a special edition os GenSui V will be sold in Japan, containing an artbook, a CD with the BGM and, most interesting, a special DVD featuring stuff and designs from the other four GenSuis (I hope they´d add something from Suikogaidens too). Sounds promising, indeed.

Also, Tanaka "King"´s (Suikoden V´s art director) blog is full of delicious comments on characters, voice actors and such. Right now, I´m pretty interested in why Lucretia, the Zhuge Liang-ish strategist, had that hair-dying trouble... lol!

EDIT: enjoy!---->
http://www.blog.konami.jp/gs/genso_v/2005/11/000315.html

[this message was edited by Maese Spt on Tue 22 Nov 18:23]