Castlevania Series - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5446 Views )

Ishmael
2245th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Castlevania Series" , posted Tue 18 Oct 23:34post reply

The Lying in the Gutters column over at Comic Book Resources reports that an animated Castlevania series is being made and will feature writing by Warren Ellis and designs by James Jean. Has anyone heard any more about this?

Replies:

Sano
1984th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Castlevania Series" , posted Tue 18 Oct 23:37post reply

Nice! Can't be worse than the comic book.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

Variable Savior
316th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Castlevania Series" , posted Wed 19 Oct 10:21post reply

Anyone remember the Simon Belmont depiction from the Captain N cartoon?

::shudders::

Blood marks heaven's path

Maou
715th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Castlevania Series" , posted Wed 19 Oct 11:47post reply

Heheh, the asinine characters from Captain N I saw when I was a real little kid (didn't go on that long, and never saw it again in reruns) actually put me OFF of some Nintendo games, contrary to their genius plan of marketing them all at once. Mother Brain's infuriating voice and the two sniveling servants (one of them from Punch Out maybe?) combined with an idiotic Simon Belmont made them names to hate, rather than inspiring an impressionable young mind to go buy a Famicom!

Proof: I first played Metroid (GBA) last year, and didn't try and fall in love with Dracula until Nocturne in the Moonlight. At any rate, this guy's art is sharp, though of course I would go WILD if Kojima did a full comic in the spirit of what she did for PSX Nocturne.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

IkariDC
415th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Castlevania Series" , posted Wed 19 Oct 19:52post reply

quote:
The Lying in the Gutters column over at Comic Book Resources reports that an animated Castlevania series is being made and will feature writing by Warren Ellis and designs by James Jean. Has anyone heard any more about this?

And this is how it could look like. Link grabbed from The Dungeon.

Burning Ranger
1317th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Castlevania Comic" , posted Thu 20 Oct 07:48post reply

quote:

Is it that bad? I saw the TPB at the comic store and I was wondering. I never really played the games so I have no basis to compare it that way. But as a vampire comic, is it any good?

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

HAYATO
506th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Castlevania Comic" , posted Thu 20 Oct 08:54post reply

quote:

Is it that bad? I saw the TPB at the comic store and I was wondering. I never really played the games so I have no basis to compare it that way. But as a vampire comic, is it any good?

It bites, so don't ever dare touching an issue.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
It's so bad that even I destroyed the only issue I had (I deleted it from my hard disk, so they aren't even worthy of getting via eMule)

End of Spoiler

IkariDC
418th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Castlevania Comic" , posted Thu 20 Oct 09:45post reply

quote:

I haven't checked the comics myself, but it saddens me to hear that it's awfull, because they're based on the story/characters of the first 2 Game Boy Castlevania games, and I've got a soft spot for the first game...

HAYATO
510th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Castlevania Comic" , posted Thu 20 Oct 17:48post reply

quote:

I haven't checked the comics myself, but it saddens me to hear that it's awfull, because they're based on the story/characters of the first 2 Game Boy Castlevania games, and I've got a soft spot for the first game...

In that case, you'd feel raped twice. Do you remember Malibu's Street Fighter comics? Well, expect something like that...

Trust me, you don't want to see them...

IkariDC
419th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Castlevania Comic" , posted Thu 20 Oct 18:30post reply

quote:

In that case, you'd feel raped twice. Do you remember Malibu's Street Fighter comics? Well, expect something like that...

Trust me, you don't want to see them...

Come on, how can you compare ANYTHING to that Malibu Street Fighter comic. I didn't have the pleasure to read that shit, so I guess you're comparing the storytelling or the dialogs.

Maese Spt
35th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Castlevania Comic" , posted Thu 20 Oct 18:38post reply

quote:

Come on, it canīt be THAT bad. You have read much worse things (even enjoyed them!), and you know it...

BTW, even though that sample of artwork posted by IkariDC looks interesting, I donīt have high hopes for an american animation on Castlevania (nor japanese neither). Better leave poor Dracula rest in peace.

The brave do not fear the grave

Time Mage
2264th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Castlevania Comic" , posted Thu 20 Oct 19:27post reply

quote:

Come on, it canīt be THAT bad. You have read much worse things (even enjoyed them!), and you know it...

BTW, even though that sample of artwork posted by IkariDC looks interesting, I donīt have high hopes for an american animation on Castlevania (nor japanese neither). Better leave poor Dracula rest in peace.

Coņo, y yo sin enterarme de que eras Ajpaņó.

Sano
1990th Post

"Re(4):Castlevania Comic" , posted Thu 20 Oct 19:59:post reply

I've read the entire comic book series.

The good - Dracula's ressurection. I've always pictured it looking the way they depicted it in issue one.

It was cool seeing the Belmont museum, I could almost pick out most of the Belmonts there.

The bad - Everything else. Oh, it's not worse than Malibu's SF comic because they are not going out of their way to rewrite history like Malibu(until the very end at least)but it's still pretty bad.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
The artwork looks like it was done by a kid in High School.

There is NO Castle exploration.

It's based on a Gameboy game, the first Gameboy Castlevania that no one played. If it's not extremely cool right out the gate it's going to have problems because most people won't relate to it.

There are NO bosses, The Grim Reaper is not even in it and he's in every freaking game! Only villains they fight are Bats and Zombies and that is it!

All of his weapons, the Axe, Crucifix(not a Boomerang when in the game he has both), Holy Water and knife fit into a nice little jewel case not even the size of a briefcase. Awwww....

Castlevania? This is a story about a bunch of people that rally together to destroy the Count, wow, how original, where have I seen that before? A little book called DRACULA maybe? There's a slew of characters and intertwining stories, maybe they should of based it on Castlevania 3 instead?

There's a hint at the end that Belmont's son might infact be Dracula's since he kidnapped her and had his way with her. So, that would technically mean all future Belmonts are really Draculas from this point on... Um, yeah...

End of Spoiler

Anyway, it's in Trade Paper Back format now. I suggest you either check your library, Virgin, Barnes & Noble or if they allow reading at your comic store and give it a go reading it for free and judge for yourself. It just wasn't Castlevania to me, maybe it will appeal to others.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Thu 20 Oct 20:00]

Maese Spt
39th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):Castlevania Comic" , posted Thu 20 Oct 21:02post reply

quote:
Coņo, y yo sin enterarme de que eras Ajpaņó.

Es que disimulo muy bien

The brave do not fear the grave

HAYATO
512th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Castlevania Comic" , posted Thu 20 Oct 21:26:post reply

quote:

Come on, how can you compare ANYTHING to that Malibu Street Fighter comic. I didn't have the pleasure to read that shit, so I guess you're comparing the storytelling or the dialogs.

I'm comparing EVERYTHING. At least I loled to Malibu SF, something I can't say about this... although Rial Schools' sample in Udon's SFII #0 looks even worse.

[this message was edited by HAYATO on Thu 20 Oct 21:28]

IkariDC
421th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Castlevania Comic" , posted Fri 21 Oct 00:20post reply

quote:

I'm comparing EVERYTHING. At least I loled to Malibu SF, something I can't say about this... although Rial Schools' sample in Udon's SFII #0 looks even worse.

I know about that Rival School sample you're talking about, but don't be afraid. The regular style should look like this. Anyways, I won't bet on the success of this one.

HAYATO
519th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Rival Schools Comic" , posted Fri 21 Oct 21:16:post reply

quote:
Anyways, I won't bet on the success of this one.

In fact, I'd even bet on its complete failure. I'm afraid everyone lost interest on Justice Gakuen by now...

[this message was edited by HAYATO on Fri 21 Oct 21:16]

Sensenic
1376th Post

"Re(5):Castlevania Comic" , posted Fri 21 Oct 21:16post reply

quote:
There are NO bosses, The Grim Reaper is not even in it and he's in every freaking game! Only villains they fight are Bats and Zombies and that is it!

Ass comment: Actually, the only games Death certainly does not appear are the 2 first Castlevanias for Game Boy ^_^;

A really fugly Deidara. I made it in a rush and have no Potochof available so... But I just loved that face. Better one to come.

Listen to them - the children of the night. What music they make! Dracula

Sano
1991th Post

"Re(6):Castlevania Comic" , posted Sat 22 Oct 00:44:post reply

quote:
Ass comment: Actually, the only games Death certainly does not appear are the 2 first Castlevanias for Game Boy ^_^;

Ah, should of known Senseric would of caught that one, lol! Thanks! But what Bosses did appear in those two games? Because they were not in the comic except for Dracula.

BTW how the whip works in the comic since we are past spoiler phase.

1. First Belmont wraps it around the enemy's neck.

2. Next the whip sets you on fire.

There is no whip cracking! Blasphemy I say!

I don't mind changes here and there like the Metal Gear Solid comic or the Kingdom Hearts Manga for example because not everything in the game can translate to a manga/comic. But when you lose the essence of what you are depicting that's when the trouble starts. No Castle exploration, no Bosses, no whip cracking, weapons fitting into a fruity jewel case, this comic is like the Hollywood Movie version of Castlevania. It would of been a lot better if they dubbed the entire event a side story than I wouldn't care. But they dubbed it as what actually happened in the first GB Castlevania game and that was the mistake IMHO. Give it a read yourself and see what you think. I've yet to come across anyone who liked the comic.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Sat 22 Oct 04:05]

HAYATO
519th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Castlevania Comic" , posted Sat 22 Oct 06:34post reply

quote:
I've yet to come across anyone who liked the comic.

YOU'LL DIE TRYING

Burning Ranger
1319th Post

"Re(7):Castlevania Comic" , posted Sat 22 Oct 07:28post reply

quote:

I know about that Rival School sample you're talking about, but don't be afraid. The regular style should look like this. Anyways, I won't bet on the success of this one.

I hope you're right. Not that the style in the sample is bad--it's just not a good fit for Rival Schools.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

...and for Guilty Gear X2 # Reload!

IkariDC
424th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Castlevania Comic" , posted Sat 22 Oct 16:54post reply

quote:

BTW how the whip works in the comic since we are past spoiler phase.

1. First Belmont wraps it around the enemy's neck.

2. Next the whip sets you on fire.

There is no whip cracking! Blasphemy I say!

I don't mind changes here and there like the Metal Gear Solid comic or the Kingdom Hearts Manga for example because not everything in the game can translate to a manga/comic. But when you lose the essence of what you are depicting that's when the trouble starts. No Castle exploration, no Bosses, no whip cracking, weapons fitting into a fruity jewel case, this comic is like the Hollywood Movie version of Castlevania. It would of been a lot better if they dubbed the entire event a side story than I wouldn't care. But they dubbed it as what actually happened in the first GB Castlevania game and that was the mistake IMHO. Give it a read yourself and see what you think. I've yet to come across anyone who liked the comic.

In the first GB Castlevania you had no sub-weapons, so you could build up your whip until you could launch fireballs, so what you say how he kills the enemies makes sense, but if he ALWAYS wraps it around their neck, that's kind of boring. I really don't know if the comic is based around the first or the second game so I can't comment any further, only that in the old skool Castlevania games, more than castle exploration, it was going forward.

Sensenic
1379th Post

"Re(7):Castlevania Comic" , posted Sun 23 Oct 00:35post reply

quote:

Ah, should of known Senseric would of caught that one, lol! Thanks!

Are? Why?
quote:
But what Bosses did appear in those two games? Because they were not in the comic except for Dracula.

Actually Dracula does not...

No, I'm afraid I know that from the Dungeon. The first 2 GB Castlevanias I have not played, therefore I don't know the bosses.
quote:

Give it a read yourself and see what you think.

Reading what I'm reading here, I guess not.
I may DIE TRYING, after all

A really fugly Deidara. I made it in a rush and have no Potochof available so... But I just loved that face. Better one to come.

Sano
1992th Post

"Re(8):Castlevania Comic" , posted Sun 23 Oct 08:16:post reply

quote:

Are? Why?

You just seem like the go-to Castlevania storyline person around here, weren't you the one who told me that games Castlevania 64, Circle of the Moon and that Sophia Belmont game were no longer part of the continuity?

And yeah, the whip thing happened every time he used it. It was about two or three times max.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Sun 23 Oct 08:19]

Maese Spt
46th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(9):Castlevania Comic" , posted Mon 24 Oct 20:04post reply

Come on, guys, I finally got a glimpse on the thing and I can say now the comic is not THAT bad.

We even have the chance to peep a true Belmont hero bonking! And a full detailed depiction of his ass! Thatīs much more than I expected from an american cartoon...

Seriously, this comic is crap indeed, but Iīve seen much worse X-men shit.

"At his coming the gods themselves are put to flight and the Buddhas vanish"

Sensenic
1382th Post

"Re(9):Castlevania Comic" , posted Mon 24 Oct 20:54post reply

quote:

You just seem like the go-to Castlevania storyline person around here, weren't you the one who told me that games Castlevania 64, Circle of the Moon and that Sophia Belmont game were no longer part of the continuity?

Oh, nothing you can't get from the Castlevania Dungeon (or rather, you couldn't, they're updating and they lack lots of info right now).
As for the continuity thing... Might've been me, but I certainly don't remember ^_^; I think I've said it once or twice (or... thrice?) here tho', yeah.

Deidara. I just loved that face. XD

HAYATO
521th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):Castlevania Comic" , posted Tue 25 Oct 00:10post reply

quote:
Seriously, this comic is crap indeed, but Iīve seen much worse X-men shit.

You filthy cheater!!! Considering Marvel's ink stains as "comic" isn't allowed!! You fail in this thread for showing your lack of taste. Remember that american comic is bad for your health (even worse than Kishimoto's).

Maese Spt
53th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Castlevania Comic" , posted Tue 25 Oct 04:28:post reply

quote:

You filthy cheater!!! Considering Marvel's ink stains as "comic" isn't allowed!!

You pwned me again. Iīm kinda in bad shape recently, must be the autumn...

EDIT: regrettable grammar issues

"At his coming the gods themselves are put to flight and the Buddhas vanish"

[this message was edited by Maese Spt on Tue 25 Oct 04:47]

YeldellGW
491th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Castlevania Series" , posted Tue 25 Oct 04:40post reply

quote:
Heheh, the asinine characters from Captain N I saw when I was a real little kid (didn't go on that long, and never saw it again in reruns) actually put me OFF of some Nintendo games, contrary to their genius plan of marketing them all at once. Mother Brain's infuriating voice and the two sniveling servants (one of them from Punch Out maybe?) combined with an idiotic Simon Belmont made them names to hate, rather than inspiring an impressionable young mind to go buy a Famicom!

Bah! Captain N's Simon Belmont was off the hook.

Besides, someone had to play the comic relief.

King Hippo was pretty lame in Punch-Out!!, so they got his portrayal dead on imo.

Sano
1994th Post

"Re(10):Castlevania Comic" , posted Tue 25 Oct 10:24:post reply

quote:

Seriously, this comic is crap indeed

Another disatisfied costumer.

I liked Captain N myself. It was a kid show and when I saw it I was a kid so eh. It was fun to see a show about all of the games I enjoyed playing and that was enough for me at the time. Ditto for the old Pac-Man cartoon and Supercade, but that's when I was really young. Never cared much for the Mario toons but I dug The Legend of Zelda episodes. "Well excuuuuse me Princess!" Lol!

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!

[this message was edited by Sano on Tue 25 Oct 10:53]