I'm gonna talk about pixels damn it! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2063 Views )

Joe Randel
452th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"I'm gonna talk about pixels damn it!" , posted Thu 6 Oct 22:09post reply

Well in all the craziness of the next gen systems and all some thing exciting has happened to me. I've been asked to speak at a game summit here in Montreal on the topic of… 2D games and pixel art! How could I say no? So now I have the challenge of talking to 100+ people (so I’m told) for a whole hour on the art of pixel pushing and the topics that surround it.

Okay, so with that being said, I’m coming to my favorite place on the net for game info to ask some questions so I can fill in some of the gaps and questions that I have before going on stage a month from now.

My questions are.

How are 2D games look upon on in Japan?

Are they seen as primarily kid’s games or to be enjoyed by everyone with 3D being for the adult crowd?

Do Japanese developers slap licenses and brand names on the majority of 2D games in order for them to sell better?

In North America most children’s software is 2D and pretty bad, is this the same in Japan?

I think that’s all the questions I have so far. I know here people can give me a better in sight to how the Japanese view 2D vs. North America. Although, I think I have a pretty good idea already.

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Replies:

Iggy
7319th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):I'm gonna talk about pixels damn it!" , posted Thu 6 Oct 22:59post reply

I would say 2D is more of as a retro thing.
On the other hand, the next Princess Peach game is full 2D.

I guess it's a little bit of both. But the majority doesn't care as long as the game looks good.

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Radish
3057th Post

"Re(2):I'm gonna talk about pixels damn it!" , posted Fri 7 Oct 01:31post reply

quote:

On the other hand, the next Princess Peach game is full 2D.

As well as finally letting me use my feminine powers of crying to defeat my foes.

exodus
3018th Post

"Re(1):I'm gonna talk about pixels damn it!" , posted Fri 7 Oct 02:42post reply

quote:

How are 2D games look upon on in Japan?

Are they seen as primarily kid’s games or to be enjoyed by everyone with 3D being for the adult crowd?

It's seen as just another niche. I agree with iggy's 'retro' comment, like I'll see some 20-something youth pick up a 2D mario game and say something to the extent of 'woah, that takes me back.' 3D is just as important in japan, it's just that the otaku culture keeps gal-get games alive - the 30-year-old-lives-at-his-parents type, and arcade gamers keep shooters alive, as they do in the US as well.

quote:

Do Japanese developers slap licenses and brand names on the majority of 2D games in order for them to sell better?

I'd say it's about half and half - 2D games are cheaper to make, so work well as tools to just sell a brand, like Bandai does.

quote:

In North America most children’s software is 2D and pretty bad, is this the same in Japan?

largely, yes. But of course bigger budget children's games, like princess peach or mario, are naturally much better.

All in all I don't think the view of 2D is much better in japan, by the majority of people. It's just that history is a little more important there, and so more people are willing to say "the old way was better!" Also, the console manufacturers are more willing to do for 2D over there, because the bars for entry are lower.

Ishmael
2232th Post

"Re(1):I'm gonna talk about pixels damn it!" , posted Fri 7 Oct 03:24post reply

That's cool that you get to do a presentation on a topic like that but besides the differences and similarities between the outlook on 2D in Japan and the US what else are you going to talk about? How 2D art evolved from a necessity to an aesthetic choice? The technical side of the creation of pixel art? Depending on what you have to talk about an hour could either barely scratch the surface or be far too much time. Anyway, keep us informed on how the event turns out.

Joe Randel
453th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):I'm gonna talk about pixels damn it!" , posted Fri 7 Oct 03:48post reply

quote:
...what else are you going to talk about?

Here's a link to the first days program.

I'm on at 2:00 pm (14:00) my seminar title is "Pixel Dreams".

I'll be talking about the diferences between Japanese 2D and American 2D in terms of quality, creativity as well as pixels as an art form out side the game envornment and are portable and cell games giving new life to pixels.

Yes, that's my real name.

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

Iggy
7321th Post

"Re(3):I'm gonna talk about pixels damn it!" , posted Fri 7 Oct 04:34post reply

Oh yeah, a big difference is that the videogames became mainstream (at least here) with FF7 and the Playstation (3D), while in Japan the famicon was nearly-mainstream.

So 2D is retro-good old memory there, whereas it's just cheatp-old here.

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

exodus
3019th Post

"Re(3):I'm gonna talk about pixels damn it!" , posted Fri 7 Oct 06:33post reply

quote:

I'll be talking about the diferences between Japanese 2D and American 2D in terms of quality, creativity as well as pixels as an art form out side the game envornment and are portable and cell games giving new life to pixels.

You should contact Lawrence from NFG, he's doing a book on exactly this. Maybe you could help each other out. Email me if you need his address or something - brandon at insertcredit.com

Oroch
867th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):I'm gonna talk about pixels damn it!" , posted Fri 7 Oct 07:30post reply

quote:
...what else are you going to talk about?
Here's a link to the first days program.

I'm on at 2:00 pm (14:00) my seminar title is "Pixel Dreams".

Yes, that's my real name.

nederlans?

exodus
3022th Post

"Re(4):I'm gonna talk about pixels damn it!" , posted Fri 7 Oct 08:51post reply

quote:

nederlans?

what else?