Epic Battles Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat TCG - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2756 Views )

Dash no Chris
321th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Bronze Customer

"Epic Battles Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat TCG" , posted Tue 27 Sep 08:51post reply

Dunno how many of you are into trading card games (and I've been away from this board for a bit, so I don't know if this might've been discussed recently), but Score Entertainment (makers of the Inuyasha, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, and Yu Yu Hakusho trading card games) have a new trading card game based on fighting games, called "Epic Battles." The first round of cards (just released this month) features 10 characters from Street Fighter III 3rd STRIKE and 10 characters from Mortal Kombat: Deception. Score claims to be working on getting other fighting game licenses from additional companies, and has indicated that they'll be adding characters from the DarkStalkers and Rival Schools series soon.

Had a chance to try the game out briefly last night, and it's not a bad little game. It's gonna take a little time getting used to the rules and getting familiar with the different card combination options, but I s'pose that's true of just about any TCG. The game's concept was actually cooked up by Blockbuster Video, who then signed up Score to actually do the work of producing the thing. Because of this, the game is being sold exclusively at Blockbuster outlets. Since not everyone has a Blockbuster on every other corner (like we seem to, here in Las Vegas), I picked up some extra starter decks to throw up on eBay (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat).

So, anyone else here tried this thing out yet?

--Chris

Replies:

Luisinan
1014th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Epic Battles Street Fighter/Mortal Komb" , posted Tue 27 Sep 11:19post reply

Thank you for the heads up Chris! I now have a reason to go to blockbuster. I'll put up my impression of the game once I get a hold of it. I've never played a CCG. So you'll get a view from a newbie.

Bored? "160"

Dr Baghead
3514th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Epic Battles Street Fighter/Mortal Komb" , posted Tue 27 Sep 16:14post reply

I just telephoned my 13 year old self and he's very excited about this, liking Magic Cards and wanting to see SF vs MK this is right up his alley!

My adult self however could care less about card games and is just upset this isn't a comic or a MK toy line that doesn't suck in scale with the SOTA figures or a fighting game or a SvC Style Card Video Game... something that would pit the two series together in a medium I care about still.

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

Iggy
7283th Post

"Re(2):Epic Battles Street Fighter/Mortal Komb" , posted Tue 27 Sep 16:44post reply

quote:
this isn't a comic or a MK toy line that doesn't suck in scale with the SOTA figures

Wait, the adult you cares about this, not the 13 years old ?

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Kikkoken
995th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Epic Battles Street Fighter/Mortal Komb" , posted Tue 27 Sep 17:29post reply

quote:
this isn't a comic or a MK toy line that doesn't suck in scale with the SOTA figures

It seems the adult self has somehow found new, inventing ways to use the figures.

Ishmael
2217th Post

"Basketball Poke" , posted Wed 28 Sep 01:13post reply

Who is doing the art on the cards? Some of it is official game art and some is from Udon's comic series but where is the original stuff coming from?

shin ramberk
180th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Basketball Poke" , posted Wed 28 Sep 02:16post reply

quote:
Who is doing the art on the cards? Some of it is official game art and some is from Udon's comic series but where is the original stuff coming from?

I'm willing to bet that the original art is UDON commissioned art.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Dr Baghead
3515th Post

"Re(3):Epic Battles Street Fighter/Mortal Komb" , posted Wed 28 Sep 08:59post reply

quote:

Yep, I'm a sad pathedic shell of a being, ain't I?

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

rook
46th Post

Rare Customer

"commissioned art is correct" , posted Wed 28 Sep 12:35post reply

quote:

I'm willing to bet that the original art is UDON commissioned art.

SFMC, winner of the first Udon SF comic fan art contest, did 4 of the cards.

square peg. round hole. large hammer.

Iggy
7290th Post

"Re(4):Epic Battles Street Fighter/Mortal Komb" , posted Wed 28 Sep 16:22post reply

quote:
Yep, I'm a sad pathedic shell of a being, ain't I?

I like Kikkoken's explanation better.

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!