Screw Breaker - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (4378 Views )

CHAZumaru
225th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Frequent Customer

"Screw Breaker" , posted Tue 27 Sep 00:49post reply

Screw breaker is the new game from Pokemon's creators Game Freaks, for those who did not follow. The game has had quite a discrete promotion ever since its stealth presentation at E3, and was released last thursday in Japan - which was incidently my last day in tokyo. I had 7000 yen planned for Hissatsu Urakagyou (about which I'd like to hear some comments if anyone has any) but I spent them for 3rd Strike and Screw Breaker instead, therefore I have been spending the last few days on it.

Screw Breaker is a brillant platformer to say the least. I first considered it as a good substitue before he release of Gunstar Super Heroes - which was quite promising at the TGS - but it turns out to be the smartest original (as in "not a port or rehash of a 10 years old hit") platform-action game on the GBA so far. As you might know, the game is packed in a special cartridge (about the size of the Play-Yan) that allows a convincing rumble feature. You play the role of a preteen girl named Dori Kururi that becomes the new 親分 of a local gang after her father gets injured in a gang fight, and faces both other gangsters as well as the Police (led by the lovely 警部 Carrie) as you pursue your father's work. To rob banks, museums, temples et al, you are helped by a spheric robot name Rasender 8 which is equipped with a giant drill (and a cute little red kaban that holds your equipment).

The game mostly revolves (pun!) around drilling and all the various situations one could get in with a giant drill - actually Game Freaks has been able to include an astonishing array of different actions and situations. I'm in the middle of the fifth world, and the game has kept finding new ways to use the robot's drill, and I wouldn't do justice to the game by spoiling them away. Not only that, but the game features a bunch of interesting sequences such as infiltration or Kurukururin-like stages. There are apparently a shitload of secrets to find and many new ways to run through old levels once you acquire new abilities.

In a nutshell, if you felt for the Micro or want to use the GBA port of your DS and therefore are looking for a GBA game to give the game a chance, Screw Breaker seriously deserves your attention.

By the way, I wanted to post about the game on IC, but the forums are apparently dead ?

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 Z80 AND SH-2 HEART ON FIRE !!

Replies:

exodus
2993th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Screw Breaker" , posted Tue 27 Sep 01:52post reply

I really want to play this...did you get it in tokyo? I didn't know it was out then...

and yeah, lots of stuff is inexplicably down.

aderack
169th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Screw Breaker" , posted Tue 27 Sep 03:08post reply

quote:
and yeah, lots of stuff is inexplicably down.

Our friend tried targetting the LPN forums a while ago, so perhaps he's taken a second swipe at the IC ones?

Kikkoken
992th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Screw Breaker" , posted Tue 27 Sep 03:21post reply

I've kept a watchful eye on this game since I first heard of it. Seems I was right to have high hopes about it. Can't wait now!

CHAZumaru
226th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Screw Breaker" , posted Tue 27 Sep 04:37post reply

quote:
I really want to play this...did you get it in tokyo? I didn't know it was out then...

It came out on the same day as Hissatsu Urakagyou, the 22nd of september.

exodus
2994th Post

"Re(3):Screw Breaker" , posted Tue 27 Sep 05:27post reply

ah, I left on the 19th. that'd explain it!

Momo
70th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Screw Breaker" , posted Fri 30 Sep 06:17post reply

this is the greatest original platformer I've played in a long, long time.

I knew they could do better than Pokemon!

Rid
6848th Post

"Re(1):Screw Breaker" , posted Sun 2 Oct 01:19post reply

Yes, it's surprisingly fun and Treasure-like. I really like it, it's good to see Game Freak being able to do something else than Pokemon, and being so succesful at that.

CHAZumaru
233th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Screw Breaker" , posted Mon 3 Oct 02:00post reply

Yeah, I fully agree with the Treasure feel. I think it has to do with the way the gameplay is thought up. Instead of building levels around the character's moves, they built the puzzles they wanted the player to face, and tweaked the oyabun's moves according to the level design's balance. It can clearly be felt with abilities such as the dash (useless at first glance yet incredibly precise once you understand its role in the game), or the fact you can slow down your fall by drilling, or how messed up the drill bounce can get one you master it. The more you play, the more you find out how smart and incredibly well balanced the gameplay is - moreover in the secret levels that are exclusively built around the idea of abusing Screw Breaker's mechanics. It feels like a puzzle well built, and the latest major games that felt that way were Radiant and Ikaruga. Besides that and all the good ideas (gimmicks?) encountered throughtout the game, the Treasure feel also comes from the rythm-breaking sequences such as mid-level minibosses and mid-level brawling sequences which are totally Treasure-like.

I just completed the game, getting all hidden treasures, finishing all secret levels and maxing out the life containers. It's been a long time since I've been caught in a game to the point of coming back at it less than half an hour after turning the DS off. The secret levels are fantastic, and the hunt for hidden treasures inside all levels is quite entertaining as you are not forced to complete the level afterwards.

Overall, a fantastic action game.

Rid
6849th Post

"Re(3):Screw Breaker" , posted Mon 3 Oct 03:11post reply

What are the secrets by the way?

CHAZumaru
234th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Screw Breaker" , posted Mon 3 Oct 05:31post reply

quote:
What are the secrets by the way?

Once you get the old geezer in the menu (about 1/3rd in the game, I think ?), you have access to a store in which you trade the green chips for secrets. You can buy extra lifebars (up to 6 extra lifebars if I recall correctly), two drill upgrades to break purple and steel blocks and a new stage for each level (hence 6 new stages in total).

Once you beat the game, you get a Touzoku rank with a comment from your father and a comment from Carrie. The upper you go in rank, the more favorably impressed is your dad (and obviously the opposite for Carrie). This rank is decided by the number of hidden treasures found throughout the game (31 in total). There are also hidden treasures to find in the secret levels, of course. As you collect new treasures, you gain new ranks (I only remember that reaching 30 treasures awards you with the "Touzoku Oyabun" rank and getting the 31st makes you "Touzoku Master"). You can check the treasures (and your rank) in the menu as well.

Finally there's a code room hidden in the training room, and we'll have to wait for GF to give codes away on the game's website to unlock new stuff.

Rid
6852th Post

"Screwing never was so fun!" , posted Tue 4 Oct 11:37post reply

The last battle was a bit of a letdown, considering the previous stages, but this game was awesome. Now it's time to hunt for the secrets!

Randomness: http://majoria.destiny3fates.net/rips/screwb/

CHAZumaru
235th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Screwing never was so fun!" , posted Tue 4 Oct 18:37post reply

quote:
The last battle was a bit of a letdown, considering the previous stages, but this game was awesome. Now it's time to hunt for the secrets!

Yeah although I like how they tried do deliver an original "final blow" feeling (it almost felt like a Kojima thing), the ending is quite anticlimatic, especially after the rush of level 6-1 and the stress of 6-2. But their biggest "mistake" was to include that idea after the awesome level 5 boss.

Sweet rips, I hope you deliver some new ones soon. I thought キャリー meant Carrie, though. Did you find some official romaji transcription somewhere ?

Rid
6855th Post

"Re(2):Screwing never was so fun!" , posted Tue 4 Oct 19:04post reply

quote:
I thought ???? meant Carrie, though. Did you find some official romaji transcription somewhere ?
No, I had asked a friend, but now that you say it, it can be Carrie too. I'll remove it later and wait for an official romanization.

Joe Randel
450th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Screwing never was so fun!" , posted Wed 5 Oct 03:22post reply

Other then what little is on the official Screw Breaker page does anyone know where official SB art can be found? I super dig it ^_^

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

CHAZumaru
237th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Screwing never was so fun!" , posted Wed 5 Oct 03:44post reply

quote:
Other then what little is on the official Screw Breaker page does anyone know where official SB art can be found? I super dig it ^_^

There's an extra "character booklet" offered in the game.

CHAZumaru
247th Post

Frequent Customer

"Gyuiiiiin" , posted Wed 12 Oct 23:49post reply

New art on the webpage :
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/v49j/column/subwin/2_2.html

ギュイ~~ン!

Kikkoken
1018th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Gyuiiiiin" , posted Thu 13 Oct 04:24post reply

quote:
New art on the webpage :
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/v49j/column/subwin/2_2.html

ギュイ~~ン!

Gouïïïne? C'est pas bien de se moquer des lesbiennes, Chaz!

CHAZumaru
249th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Gyuiiiiin" , posted Thu 13 Oct 07:11post reply

CHAZumaru
255th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Gyuiiiiin" , posted Tue 18 Oct 07:21post reply

PASSWORDS

exodus
3040th Post

"Re(4):Gyuiiiiin" , posted Tue 18 Oct 08:06post reply

heh...you liked doing hidden text, I think!

CHAZumaru
256th Post

Copper Customer

"Gyuiiiiin Vs. Homoooooo" , posted Tue 18 Oct 18:30post reply

Well I am especially happy because it took me quite a while to understand how to input those damn passwords - I even bothered Iggy for a while because I thought I didn't read the webpages correctly. The result is a tad disappointing when compared to the trouble I went through, except for the really cool and complete sound test. I wonder if there are other codes, especially considering how one of the codes only worked if you had found a specific treasure.

Kikkoken
1020th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Gyuiiiiin Vs. Homoooooo" , posted Tue 18 Oct 20:06post reply

quote:
Well I am especially happy because it took me quite a while to understand how to input those damn passwords - I even bothered Iggy for a while because I thought I didn't read the webpages correctly. The result is a tad disappointing when compared to the trouble I went through, except for the really cool and complete sound test. I wonder if there are other codes, especially considering how one of the codes only worked if you had found a specific treasure.

Non mais t'arrête!

Rid
6873th Post

"errrr..." , posted Tue 18 Oct 22:01:post reply

The numbers on the safe lock puzzle are randomly generated, change each time. Just turn it left or right until it lights up, and then change direction => repeat until it opens.

And SB>GSH

[this message was edited by Rid on Tue 18 Oct 22:02]

CHAZumaru
260th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):errrr..." , posted Tue 18 Oct 22:30:post reply

I got the same ones every time I played the level, and I am pretty sure the memos never changed. I'll check tonight.

[this message was edited by CHAZumaru on Tue 18 Oct 22:33]

CHAZumaru
260th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):errrr..." , posted Wed 19 Oct 03:09post reply

New save, all the way to 2-2... same codes.

Are you sure about what you're saying, Rid ? Could you please double-check with your own save ? Maybe you did it at random yet found the correct ones after some time (as, like you say, there's a little confirmation when you made it to the right spot). Did you use the memos when playing and could you tell me what's written on them when you double check your own game ?

Otherwise, it might be that there's a random code for each cartridge, or that I am extremly (un)lucky with the randomizer, but either possibilities seems very unlikely.

Rid
6874th Post

"Re(3):errrr..." , posted Wed 19 Oct 04:44post reply

quote:
New save, all the way to 2-2... same codes.

Are you sure about what you're saying, Rid ? Could you please double-check with your own save ? Maybe you did it at random yet found the correct ones after some time (as, like you say, there's a little confirmation when you made it to the right spot). Did you use the memos when playing and could you tell me what's written on them when you double check your own game ?

Otherwise, it might be that there's a random code for each cartridge, or that I am extremly (un)lucky with the randomizer, but either possibilities seems very unlikely.

Hummm, I played it on emulator (waiting for the US version to get it), but I remember some talk about the random codes in GameFAQs, and I remember getting a different one from the ones they mentioned...

So not sure then :(

CHAZumaru
267th Post

Copper Customer

"Review on NTSC-uk" , posted Tue 25 Oct 23:48post reply

Yeah so I can confirm it's the correct codes. A friend just played the game and got the same codes.

NTSC-uk has a review.