RPG me - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2218 Views )

Gojira
1838th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"RPG me" , posted Thu 22 Sep 20:10post reply

I've got a week to kill, so I'm looking for an RPG to pass the time. Problem is, I see all these RPGs I haven't even researched and end up not buying anything. So will someone please recommend something to buy? Anything for PS2 or GC. Imports are okay too, but nothing too complicated (it's only a week after all).

Replies:

E5150
93th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):RPG me" , posted Thu 22 Sep 22:07post reply

My fav PS2 rpg is Shadow Hearts: Covenant.
Gameplay is kinda old-school, yet innovative.
Mostly interesting characters, good voice acting and lots of humor.
Gay humor that is.

Amakusa
644th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):RPG me" , posted Thu 22 Sep 23:56post reply

Megaman X Command Mission. Shouldn't take that long to do.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Grahf
417th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):RPG me" , posted Fri 23 Sep 04:46post reply

If you haven't played Tales of Smyphonia, do.

exodus
2975th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):RPG me" , posted Fri 23 Sep 04:49post reply

just play final fantasy tactics, or the dragon force sega ages rerelease.

Pollyanna
1417th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):RPG me" , posted Fri 23 Sep 05:05post reply

quote:
just play final fantasy tactics, or the dragon force sega ages rerelease.

You're turning into an old man. Or I should say "old timer" or something. Pretty soon, you'll be the guy that doesn't do super moves in fighting games.

Grahf
419th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):RPG me" , posted Fri 23 Sep 05:08post reply

quote:
You're turning into an old man. Or I should say "old timer" or something. Pretty soon, you'll be the guy that doesn't do super moves in fighting games.

Burned!

exodus
2977th Post

"Re(4):RPG me" , posted Fri 23 Sep 05:19post reply

quote:

shut up!
I'm great.
yeah, I just haaven't found any non-portable RPGs that interesting recently, and he said gamecube and PS2. I was just gonna recommend beyond good and evil again hehe.

and I am a bit too crotchety for MvC, et al, so maybe I'm already there :\

Mosquiton
1699th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):RPG me" , posted Fri 23 Sep 07:28post reply

quote:
I've got a week to kill, so I'm looking for an RPG to pass the time. Problem is, I see all these RPGs I haven't even researched and end up not buying anything. So will someone please recommend something to buy? Anything for PS2 or GC. Imports are okay too, but nothing too complicated (it's only a week after all).

Ah, THAT kind of RPG? Digital Devil Saga is a really well-produced, super-polished, totally solid game. I'm at the point where I've played so many traditional RPGs I can barely stand the genre, but DDS is really easy to enjoy, and there's a second one if you want to need to kill more time and liked the first one (and it's just as good, for the most part).

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne would be a little harder to get into but takes a lot more active effort. Not that DDS is braindead, but I think you can still kind of chill with it.

/ / /

ONSLAUGHT
3505th Post

"Re(1):RPG me" , posted Fri 23 Sep 07:44post reply

Sword of Vermillion

Pollyanna
1422th Post

"Re(5):RPG me" , posted Fri 23 Sep 09:34post reply

quote:

and I am a bit too crotchety for MvC, et al, so maybe I'm already there :\

I don't think that's "crotchety", but the other thing that comes with old age...wisdom.

Also, I second Avatar Tuner. I don't know what you've played and haven't played, and it's no masterpiece (especially compared to SMT3), but it's the best recent RPG on the market. I just feel, after playing both parts of the game, that it's a Persona 2 scenario, where one has good gameplay and the other has a good story. The gameplay in the second part is fine, but many of the dungeon designs are horribly uninspired in comparison to the first game/other Megaten games.

exodus
2980th Post

"Re(6):RPG me" , posted Fri 23 Sep 09:44post reply

speaking of, the new devil summoner looks SO NICE. The visuals are just fantastic. The environment is really really appealing - 1920s europe? I'm there with you, Atlus. The visual style is totally excellent. I might actually play an Atlus-developed RPG for the first time! This would shock me.

(Riviera doesn't count - developed by Sting!)

Gojira
1841th Post

"Re(7):RPG me" , posted Fri 23 Sep 13:14post reply

Well, let's see... Shadow Hearts Covenant I have already. FF Tactics and Dragon Force I also already own. Tales of Symphonia I don't own, but I've played it already. Thanks for suggesting though, at least I know I wasn't mistaken with any of them.

I tried to find Digital Devil Saga today but all the stores I visited were sold out of it. Le Sigh. I'm not familiar with Sword of Vermillion, who makes it?

What about Radiata Stories? It looks generic but... it's Tri-Ace, so I'm wondering.

Variable Savior
309th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):RPG me" , posted Fri 23 Sep 13:34post reply

quote:

I tried to find Digital Devil Saga today but all the stores I visited were sold out of it. Le Sigh. I'm not familiar with Sword of Vermillion, who makes it?

Sword of Vermilion is an old Sega Genesis game.

DDS is both a good fit and a lousy fit for your needs. On one hand it's a great game and is actually kind of short by RPG standards. On the other hand you're only getting half a story - get attached at all and you're going to have to pick up the followup (not that that's a bad thing - it'll just double your cost and time expenditure). Plus if you're one of those completist types you're going to have spend alot more time with DDS than you'd initially think (the final optional boss requires an entire second playthrough and a ton of leveling/item farming).

Mind you, I'm not trying to discourage you from getting DDS - it's really a worthwhile title. I just figured you should know the details before you make your week's purchase.

Blood marks heaven's path

Gojira
1847th Post

"Digital Devil found" , posted Mon 26 Sep 20:06:post reply

Finally found one store with one copy left of DDS on Saturday.

So far the story's not really grabbing me though. That combined with the whole lifeless presentation and sprawling greyish dungeon layouts reminds me a lot of Dragon Quarter, which I played for a while and then stopped for a very long time. And I was led to believe there'd be more to the battle engine, but it's been remarkably generic thus far.

I don't know, maybe I've just been spoiled by the numerous systems in Shadow Hearts. I'm sticking with it though; maybe my opinion will change once I get out of this junkyard place.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Mon 26 Sep 20:08]

Radish
3052th Post

"Re(7):RPG me" , posted Tue 27 Sep 01:05post reply

quote:
speaking of, the new devil summoner looks SO NICE. The visuals are just fantastic. The environment is really really appealing - 1920s europe? I'm there with you, Atlus. The visual style is totally excellent. I might actually play an Atlus-developed RPG for the first time! This would shock me.

(Riviera doesn't count - developed by Sting!)

Dear Atlus

I like you. Do you like me?

[] Yes
[] No
[] Maybe

Love Radish <3

Pollyanna
1434th Post

"Re(8):RPG me" , posted Tue 27 Sep 06:25post reply

I forget, when I recommend a Megaten/DDS game that many, if not most, people that I recommend it to may not find it to their liking. I remember when all my friends were pumped that SMT3 as coming to America...then gave up very early once they played it.

But I feel that the games are good games that aren't for everyone. In my case, I don't like Zelda and Mario games. Not because they aren't good, but because they aren't for me.

Radiata Stories is NOT a good game. It is a game with great presentation and the most boring battle system I can think of. As much as I wanted to like it, it bored me to tears. I somehow doubt the English dub is too hot, either.

Nickey
25th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(9):RPG me" , posted Tue 27 Sep 07:16post reply

quote:

Radiata Stories is NOT a good game. It is a game with great presentation and the most boring battle system I can think of. As much as I wanted to like it, it bored me to tears. I somehow doubt the English dub is too hot, either.

Radiata Story is okay. It has some promise and the storyline is cute and appealing to me, but yeah the battle system is blah. I hate the fact that there are so many characters...and you can only play as one of them. The english dub is fairly decent I wouldn't call it the best thing in the world but its alot better then some other stuff out there.

And Dragon Quarter is a good game. I <3 it I <3 it so much. It begins out hard and uhhh hard then ends alot easier. I recommend it, but don't listen to me, cause I'm special.

Tell me why do we work over-time Looking for that "SOMEONE"?
Why you lookin around in and out of town being lost and found
And when we find that special "SOMEONE"
Then the love turns part-time
Then you lose yourself
...Love is cozmo-naughty

Pollyanna
1435th Post

"Re(10):RPG me" , posted Tue 27 Sep 07:55post reply

quote:

And Dragon Quarter is a good game. I <3 it I <3 it so much. It begins out hard and uhhh hard then ends alot easier. I recommend it, but don't listen to me, cause I'm special.

My problem with Dragon Quarter is that it became boring after you came up with a "master plan" in battle. Rather than gradually tweaking your strategy, you found the optimal one and stuck with it. So...the battles that at first seemed clever, deep and inventive, became as bland as many other RPGs.

Gojira: I think "numerous" is the best adjective to describe the systems in Shadow Hearts, though I don't think that says much. I can't think of a single system I dislike in SH, though there are very few of them that actually do anything meaningful for the game. Its systems stop you from being bored by giving you things to do...but those things are neither especially deep nor rewarding.

That isn't to insult the series (I like Shadow Hearts), as I think it's an accomplishment to create a game that doesn't have anything irritating in it these days. I just feel that Shadow Hearts manages to do nothing wrong moreso than it manages to do anything right.

Gojira
1848th Post

"Re(10):RPG me" , posted Tue 27 Sep 08:18:post reply

quote:

---

Radiata Story is okay. It has some promise and the storyline is cute and appealing to me, but yeah the battle system is blah. I hate the fact that there are so many characters...and you can only play as one of them. The english dub is fairly decent I wouldn't call it the best thing in the world but its alot better then some other stuff out there.

I did finish Dragon Quarter eventually, it just took me almost a year to get back into it. I still have yet to even try and get my ratio up; all I did was finish it once to see what would happen.

So Radiata Stories is like that, huh... that's a shame, I've liked Tri-Ace's games even though the last Star Ocean got ridiculous after a while. I wish they'd do a Valkyrie Profile sequel someday.

EDIT:
quote:

That isn't to insult the series (I like Shadow Hearts), as I think it's an accomplishment to create a game that doesn't have anything irritating in it these days. I just feel that Shadow Hearts manages to do nothing wrong moreso than it manages to do anything right.

That's a fairly unique perspective. I'm tempted to write it off as wishy-washy though. Could you elaborate on that last part?

[this message was edited by Gojira on Tue 27 Sep 10:06]

Pollyanna
1437th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):RPG me" , posted Tue 27 Sep 14:51post reply

quote:

That's a fairly unique perspective. I'm tempted to write it off as wishy-washy though. Could you elaborate on that last part?

What I mean is the Shadow Hearts is all fluff. At its core its a very simple RPG. All of its systems are nonessential. So while it looks like it's doing something interesting, it's really just covering up how basic it is by keeping you occupied.

I'm basing this on SH3, since everyone I know that's played it feels that it has the best system(s)...and I don't remember SH2 as well. They're -very- similar, though.

The judgement ring doesn't do anything but make you pay attention in battle...and you can turn that off with very few consequences. You don't even have to mess with Uru/Shania's transformations and you'll do just fine. They shouldn't even bother with (non accessory) equipment, because you always have enough money to buy the best stuff and there's never any point to buy anything else. I always got the best prize in the lotto, and taking pictures is just another thing to do. Two more button presses. Getting new weapons for Joachim/Frank gets you a scene, but if you miss it, you can just buy it in the shop 5 minutes later. The combo system is entirely nonessential and hardly requires any thought or strategy.

I could go on.

My point is, that the "spine" of SH is nothing more than the most basic of RPGs. It has a lot of fun distractions to hide that, but it's not doing anything impressive or interesting. If you look at a game like Avatar Tuner and try to take out the mantra/weakness-based battle system, you've essentially reduced the game to nothing because you've taken out its spine. If you try to play Minstrel Song without learning at least a few of the systems, you're doomed to quit before you get anywhere.

But Shadow Hearts is a good game, because it does nothing wrong. None of its systems are irritating. All of them provide you with something moderately enjoyable to do. They aren't deep, they don't make you think, but they're not the least bit bad. They all work.

I don't feel like a basic RPG like SH, is really anything especially good, but as long as it doesn't have systems that impede on the player's enjoyment (as many games do), then it isn't anything bad, either.

Gojira
1848th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):RPG me" , posted Tue 27 Sep 16:37post reply

Polly: I understand what you're saying, and sure I'll agree that's a lot of what SH is. But I don't see distractions in a game as a bad thing. In my experience the one big truth about games has always been that they exist solely to keep your mind distracted.

A long time ago I worked in game retail at Sears, and every day there were people in the middle of shopping for clothes who'd go right up to the N64 and screw with Mario's face for a while, then leave satisfied without actually pressing start. They didn't get Mario up a platform or down a slide or something, they just tugged on his nose and moustache for a while and liked it. That's the whole reason Nintendo put that pointless little feature in there... to make you "waste time" doing something. But that's easy to see with just that one feature; what people - especially hardcore gamers - seem to forget is that the entire rest of the game was based on the same philosophy.

So with that purpose in mind, I pretty much feel that even if a game manages to distract you from itself, it's still a great game regardless of whether that feature has anything to do with the main game. Which is probably why I really liked SH2, because there were just lots of things to do.

Pollyanna
1439th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):RPG me" , posted Tue 27 Sep 17:05post reply

quote:
But I don't see distractions in a game as a bad thing.

And...

quote:

So with that purpose in mind, I pretty much feel that even if a game manages to distract you from itself, it's still a great game regardless of whether that feature has anything to do with the main game. Which is probably why I really liked SH2, because there were just lots of things to do.

I wouldn't say SH2 was a great game (though it wasn't bad at all), but apart from that, I agree. I liked SH3 quite a bit. It distracted me all the way through it (and it was QUITE distracting). I felt empty when it was over, and I prefer to play more "challenging" games (in terms of difficulty and creativity), but that doesn't mean it was bad. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with SH. In many cases I'd rather have 100 mediocre non-intrusive gimmicks than one key gimmick that makes the game less fun.

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):RPG me" , posted Tue 27 Sep 22:45post reply

quote:

I've recently had a lot of fun with Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GC). Previous to that, the last console-style RPG I was interested in enough to complete was Breath of Fire III back in '98.

There were a number of things I liked about Paper Mario. It doesn't take itself seriously and is peppered with neat references to old-school Mario (you even get to play modified versions of several SMB levels as Bowser). Combat involves timed button presses and so is somewhat less boring than standard RPG fare. Enemies are visible on the field, can easily be avoided and don't respawn until you leave the entire area. There's very little back-tracking. About half of the main cast is likable. It also has a nice adventure-game feel to it (puzzles, dialog, etc.).

Then again, it might not be the kind of game for you. My brother, who is much more fond of traditional console RPGs than I (enough to play through FFX, not enough to play through FFX-2) thought Paper Mario was merely OK.