Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2736 Views )

Phoenix
849th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks" , posted Thu 22 Sep 11:49post reply

I just got this game and I love it.
Such addictive gameplay...gotta hand it to the company that created Gauntlet.
MK2 (my fave MK) with the sheer awesomeness that is Kung Lao and Streets of Rage type beat them up gameplay with RPG level up elements and Fatalities = WIN. (And Kung's homing hat ricocheting off walls is priceless)
Thoughts and impressions?

Replies:

NARUTO
3225th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks" , posted Thu 22 Sep 17:03post reply

quote:
I just got this game and I love it.
Such addictive gameplay...gotta hand it to the company that created Gauntlet.
MK2 (my fave MK) with the sheer awesomeness that is Kung Lao and Streets of Rage type beat them up gameplay with RPG level up elements and Fatalities = WIN. (And Kung's homing hat ricocheting off walls is priceless)
Thoughts and impressions?

didn't have it (not released in europ) but I was curious about it.
I never really appreciated the MK as VS game so I'll maybe like tham as BTA.

Any hidden stuff like the Classic MK games. (Hidden characters, or others..)

Tu Fuis Ego eris...
Like you I was Like me you'll be...

Just a Person
740th Post

"Re(2):Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks" , posted Fri 23 Sep 00:09post reply

quote:
didn't have it (not released in europ) but I was curious about it.
I never really appreciated the MK as VS game so I'll maybe like tham as BTA.

I donīt have it either. Iīve read a lot of inpressions of this game in other forums, and it seems to be polemic.
While the players do enjoy its gameplay (although they say it gets repetitive after some time, but I donīt think it seems to be a big deal) and all the details in the new creation of Outworld, they also say that the story sucks, and that it contradicts a lot of facts from the MK seriesī plot

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
(including the deaths of a lot of people who are NOT supposed to be dead after MKII and the fact Shao Kahn has an amulet that should be with Quan Chi after MK Mythologies...)

End of Spoiler

. Plus, it doesnīt have Sonya as a playable character (at least no one has claimed that sheīs a secret character so far), and thatīs sad.
Well, anyway Iīm still interested about the game, it does look better than MK:Mythologies (which I found quite good) or MK:Special Forces (which is probably one of the worst PSX games... I mean, even my little cousinīs "Detective Barbie" is better than that (and DB is another lame game...)).

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Fuchikoma
1387th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks" , posted Fri 23 Sep 15:25post reply

Yeah it's funny with all these new beat em ups coming out... Shaolin Monks definitely ranks high among them. The controls are really good, the fatalities are hilarious and add some spark to the game... along with weapons and the ability to level up.

I've been enjoying this game more than the last couple MK fighting games.

Dr Baghead
3512th Post

"Re(2):Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks" , posted Fri 23 Sep 15:31post reply

quote:

Yup:
-Arcade version of MK 2 is unlockable if you complete the missions Smoke gives you.
-Both Scorpion and Sub-Zero are playable in the main walkthrough by beating the game as Kung Lao or Liu Kang respectively (is trying to unlock Sub-Zero now, I don't know if they have their own stories or not, heck I'm still not sure if Liu/Kung or 1 player/Ko-Op have different story lines)
-In VS mode you can unlock Reptile, Johnny Cage, and Kitana... in addition to the 4 storymode characters.

It's a pretty fun game.... I wonder if they can make Konquest more like this in MK7

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

Just a Person
742th Post

"Re(3):Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks" , posted Fri 23 Sep 23:31post reply

quote:
-In VS mode you can unlock Reptile, Johnny Cage, and Kitana... in addition to the 4 storymode characters.

Donīt forget Baraka.
Itīs really sad that Sonya isnīt among these characters (but at least she has great fights with Kano and Baraka... donīt underestimate her!!).

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Ishmael
2214th Post

"Re(4):Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks" , posted Mon 26 Sep 05:46post reply

I gave MK:SM a whirl and found it to be surprisingly fun. There's still plenty of the usual MK staples [bosses who get to cheat more than you do, arbitrarily hidden items and so on] but it's also has a well put together, flexible fighting engine that lets you unleash all manner of over the top violence on people. While there are some parts of the game that I wish had been done differently I still feel that the game was more than worth the price of a rental. Then again, I thought it was worth renting just to see how much damage Baraka could take without dropping dead so make of that recommendation what you will.

How is the two player mode? While platforming things like the battle against the giant snake were merely tedious when playing solo I would think they would be murder with two people.

Gojira
1844th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks" , posted Mon 26 Sep 06:36post reply

I watched some kid play it at Game Crazy and couldn't stop laughing at the de-evolution of Liu Kang. You'd swear they literally motion captured a bunch of chimps to get his moves. He even sounds the part. It's just hilarious. All he needs is a poo-flinging fatality.

Dr Baghead
3513th Post

"Re(6):Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks" , posted Mon 26 Sep 14:31post reply

quote:

There's still plenty of the usual MK staples [bosses who get to cheat more than you do, arbitrarily hidden items and so on]

Although, too be fair, the battle with Goro is INSANELY easily. Just fireballs, run away, fireballs, run away, fireballs, jump over his semimic attacks, run away, etc.

It's all MegaMan style "die 5 times to learn the pattern then win with near full health" fights (Baraka is a pain in the ass though, Christ that's a hard boss)

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

aderack
168th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks" , posted Mon 26 Sep 15:19:post reply

The company that created Gauntlet was Atari Games -- specifically Ed Logg, who also created Asteroids and Centipede (basically).

Atari Games got bought out by Midway in the mid-'90s for the sake of their back catalog. Midway wasn't actually very interested in Atari Games as a developer, or even as a name; Atari Games was quickly renamed something like Midway West, then a few years ago everyone was fired overnight without being told beforehand. The building was locked and no one was allowed to even return to reclaim personal belongings.

Midway has little to do with creating Gauntlet. Midway has a good deal to do with crushing the people who did create Gauntlet, though.

[this message was edited by aderack on Mon 26 Sep 15:20]

Ishmael
2215th Post

"Re(7):Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks" , posted Tue 27 Sep 05:00post reply

quote:
Although, too be fair, the battle with Goro is INSANELY easily. Just fireballs, run away, fireballs, run away, fireballs, jump over his semimic attacks, run away, etc.

It's all MegaMan style "die 5 times to learn the pattern then win with near full health" fights (Baraka is a pain in the ass though, Christ that's a hard boss)

It was sort of depressing that the final battle to save the Earth and numerous other dimensions consisted of me running in circles around a guy with a big hammer. It was, however, a pretty good encapsulation of the MK experience. I am curious to see how I fare against the bosses with Scorpion; while the yellow palette dead ninja guy can tear through the grunts in the game I'm probably going to have to come up with a different strategy for beating the bosses with him besides hanging back and tossing fireballs.

It was a shame about Goro tho'. He used to be such a fearsome clay puppet but in MK:SM the big sap just rolled over and died.