Vacation in Hong Kong & Beijing (OT) - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2346 Views )

simonbelmont
41th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Rare Customer

"Vacation in Hong Kong & Beijing (OT)" , posted Wed 21 Sep 09:22post reply

I'm taking a vacation to Hong Kong and Beijing with friend and fellow cafe customer Bootation. I was wondering if anyone here has been there before. Are there any arcades in particular worth checking out? Anything else that I must see/do that the average tourist might miss? I have a friend in HK that will show me around but in Beijing I won't be so lucky...

Replies:

ONSLAUGHT
3502th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Vacation in Hong Kong & Beijing (OT)" , posted Wed 21 Sep 09:40post reply

quote:
Anything else that I must see/do that the average tourist might miss?

Yeah, go find some sailors, and give Lan Di my warmest regards.

EddyT
512th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Vacation in Hong Kong & Beijing (OT)" , posted Wed 21 Sep 10:31:post reply

And ask about the "3 Blades". That mystery has been killing me for about 4 years now.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Wed 21 Sep 10:32]

KTallguy
752th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Vacation in Hong Kong & Beijing (OT)" , posted Wed 21 Sep 11:01post reply

I've been actually trying to find out if anyone knows anything about the four woodoo too? Ask some random people about that.

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

Grahf
414th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Vacation in Hong Kong & Beijing (OT)" , posted Wed 21 Sep 11:24post reply

From what I can tell there isn't much of an arcade "scene" here in Hong Kong (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), but if you want some cheap anime merchandise be sure to stop by the night market in Mong Kok. There's the also the occasional KOF wallscroll and some other gaming related stuff as well. Mong Kok is also the place to go if you want a really cheap cell phone. Hopefully your friend here can speak Cantonese because that makes bargaining a lot easier.

For bars you can't go wrong with Lan Kwai Fong in Central, which is what everyone will tell you, but if I were you I wouldn't miss out on Tsim Sha Tsui as well. In Tsim Sha Tsui you can get some really nice views of the harbor, especially at night. There's a place called Aqua on the 30th floor of the One Peking building there that overlooks the harbor. It's not cheap, though. If you just go to the bar (and not the restaurants) there's a $120HK (about $15.60US) minimum per person for drinking, but I'd say it's worth going at least once for the experience and the atmosphere. Also, while you're there, if you can find a bar called Chasers you can hear some really good live music and get some nice calamari.

For standard tourist fare you should definitely take a trip to Victoria Peak, ride at least one ferry through the harbor at night, and go see the Po Lin monastery on Lantau. If you have a choice, try to go to the Peak after it rains so the air will be clearer and you'll be able to see the city better. For Po Lin, you'll need almost a whole day to make the trip and see everything, so you may want to skip it if you're short on time. The giant Buddah statue looks really cool at night, but be sure you get there before 5:30 when the monastery closes.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know about Hong Kong, and let us know what you do when you're in Beijing because I want to go sometime soon while I'm still living here.

simonbelmont
42th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Vacation in Hong Kong & Beijing (OT)" , posted Thu 22 Sep 04:25post reply

Thanks for all the excellent advice Grahf! I can't really thing of anything else to ask. What made you decide to live in HK? That's really cool. My friend in HK is local, lives in Kowloon, and speaks Cantonese. I'm staying at a hotel in Causeway Bay though. I'll be sure to let you know all about Beijing when I get back. A full day tour of the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, and the Great Wall is included in the Beijing package. I was unaware that you could bargain in HK. I thought that was just a mainland China thing. I did a pretty good job bargaining in Mexico when I was there years ago. It will be interesting to try it again in another country.

Mokona
323th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Vacation in Hong Kong & Beijing (OT)" , posted Thu 22 Sep 05:13post reply

I went to HK in 1993. I enjoyed Victoria Peak, Sha Tin temple and most of the islands around.
I was young though, so most of the stuff I thought was boring at the time might be quite interesting. I don't remember any arcades either...

Blah!

Grahf
415th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Vacation in Hong Kong & Beijing (OT)" , posted Thu 22 Sep 09:29post reply

quote:
Thanks for all the excellent advice Grahf! I can't really thing of anything else to ask. What made you decide to live in HK? That's really cool. My friend in HK is local, lives in Kowloon, and speaks Cantonese. I'm staying at a hotel in Causeway Bay though. I'll be sure to let you know all about Beijing when I get back. A full day tour of the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, and the Great Wall is included in the Beijing package. I was unaware that you could bargain in HK. I thought that was just a mainland China thing. I did a pretty good job bargaining in Mexico when I was there years ago. It will be interesting to try it again in another country.

I'm studying abroad, so I'm only going to be living here a few more months. You need to be sure to bargain with the cab drivers here too. I find that it's never a good idea to let them charge you based on the meter -- always set a price before they start driving. They'll get you there quicker, and they won't get stuck in traffic to drive up the price. The drivers usually don't speak much English, so it's a good idea to have your hotel's name and address written out in Cantonese. I'm sure they'll understand numbers in English, though. Also, if you can, try to find out if they're going to charge you for tolls or for luggage. You should only have to pay tolls if you're crossing the harbor or going to the airport. (Hint: if they charge you for luggage and you don't have any, you're being screwed).

simonbelmont
43th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Vacation in Hong Kong & Beijing (OT)" , posted Thu 22 Sep 14:05post reply

quote:
I'm studying abroad, so I'm only going to be living here a few more months. You need to be sure to bargain with the cab drivers here too. I find that it's never a good idea to let them charge you based on the meter -- always set a price before they start driving. They'll get you there quicker, and they won't get stuck in traffic to drive up the price. The drivers usually don't speak much English, so it's a good idea to have your hotel's name and address written out in Cantonese. I'm sure they'll understand numbers in English, though. Also, if you can, try to find out if they're going to charge you for tolls or for luggage. You should only have to pay tolls if you're crossing the harbor or going to the airport. (Hint: if they charge you for luggage and you don't have any, you're being screwed).

Thanks again for the heads up. You've been very helpful. I plan on taking the subway rather than using taxis. I heard HK has a pretty good subway system. The hotel provides a free shuttle from the airport so I guess I lucked out there. Yeah taxi drivers are bastards and try to screw you everywhere you go it seems. I will keep that in mind.

Grahf
416th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Vacation in Hong Kong & Beijing (OT)" , posted Thu 22 Sep 14:40post reply

quote:
Thanks again for the heads up. You've been very helpful. I plan on taking the subway rather than using taxis. I heard HK has a pretty good subway system. The hotel provides a free shuttle from the airport so I guess I lucked out there. Yeah taxi drivers are bastards and try to screw you everywhere you go it seems. I will keep that in mind.

Yeah the subways here are really great. They're very clean and easy to use. One thing to make note of, though, is that they stop running at 12:30, so plan accordingly if you're going to be out late.

simonbelmont
44th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Vacation in Hong Kong & Beijing (OT)" , posted Fri 23 Sep 04:33post reply

quote:
I've been actually trying to find out if anyone knows anything about the four woodoo too? Ask some random people about that.

OK I will make sure to ask random people questions from Shenmue. As pathetic as it sounds being a Shenmue fan is one of the reasons I decided to visit HK. Sure I'd love to visit Japan someday but it's too damn expensive. I will especially ask questions about the woodoo and the 3 blades. I won't ask about sailors though. I could care less where they hang out. I'll be really stoked if I find a playable After Burner in a Kowloon highrise but I sure as hell won't hold my breath...

Maese Spt
9th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Vacation in Hong Kong & Beijing (OT)" , posted Fri 23 Sep 17:40post reply

quote:
As pathetic as it sounds being a Shenmue fan is one of the reasons I decided to visit HK.

If you see a huge gaijin with blonde moustache and flamboyant clothes playing darts in a petty bar, take a photo and post it, please. It would be priceless.

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months"

simonbelmont
45th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Vacation in Hong Kong & Beijing (OT)" , posted Wed 12 Oct 04:13post reply

quote:

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know about Hong Kong, and let us know what you do when you're in Beijing because I want to go sometime soon while I'm still living here.

Had a great time in HK despite the crappy weather. HK had a great arcade scene. I've never seen so many KOF machines in one arcade. They even had some weird hacked versions I've never seen before. Some really good players too. Also, they had mame running on arcade so you can play almost any fighter or vintage game you want. Even played a little Neogeo Battle Coliseum while I was there.

The Aqua had a kick ass view and the Big Buddha was also interesting. Victoria Peak was incredible. I'd definitely go back to HK. Great city. A little expensive tho.

In Beijing I visited Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, Ming Tombs, the Great Wall, Summer Palace, and a few parks. Excellent shopping in Beijing. Make sure to brush up on your bargaining skills. You even get haggled at some bars. The club scene in Beijing was pretty weak. I did get a free round of drinks though. They really seemed to like my dancing there. I just took cabs in Beijing. I never payed more than $20 yuan for a cab ride. Just make sure to have someone write where you want to go in Chinese characters. Their English there sucks to say the least.

Anyway, I'm glad I went to Beijing. I probably will never go back there though. The whole city seems to be stuck in the 80's. Kinda reminds me of 80's Russia. You can definitely tell capitalism is a realitively new concept there. Be sure to check out this site if you go. Helped me out a lot.

http://www.beijingtraveltips.com/

Thanks for all your help and advice.