The Revolution's revolutionary revolution - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3585 Views )

OmegaDog
1552th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"The Revolution's revolutionary revolution" , posted Fri 16 Sep 13:04:post reply

1. Click link, skim one or more images.
2. Get first impression.
3. Actually read the article.
4. Second impression?
5. Post Cereal!

All I have to say is -- seemed underwhelming at first, but after reading the article -- well mister, I like it. I like it a lot.

"So... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY!" || CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Fri 16 Sep 13:27]

Replies:

ONSLAUGHT
3495th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 13:36post reply

quote:
well mister, I like it. I like it a lot.

Sorry Mister, but I don't.
It might be good for gimmicky games, but I don't see how could you play something like Devil May Cry on that remote thing.
The way I see it:
PS3: Kick ass games (Metal Gear, DMC, ZoE?, Final Fantasy, etc.)
X-Box 360: a couple of good games and tons of overhyped crap.
Revolution: Gimmicky games supported only by Nintendo.

Pollyanna
1398th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 13:40post reply

quote:

It might be good for gimmicky games, but I don't see how could you play something like Devil May Cry on that remote thing.
The way I see it:

Exactly. That means you don't have to buy a Revolution. There are enough games for PS3 and Xbox. 3 systems with the same type of games is too many. I don't know if this will end up poorly for Nintendo or not, but I applaud them for realizing that they can't, or at least shouldn't compete in the overcrowded "normal" market.

I'm not a Nintendo fan, so...this isn't for me, either, but that doesn't make it a bad idea, since otherwise, I think Nintendo should drop out of the (non-portable) console market.

ONSLAUGHT
3496th Post

"Re(3):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 13:53post reply

quote:

Exactly. That means you don't have to buy a Revolution. There are enough games for PS3 and Xbox. 3 systems with the same type of games is too many. I don't know if this will end up poorly for Nintendo or not, but I applaud them for realizing that they can't, or at least shouldn't compete in the overcrowded "normal" market.

I'm not a Nintendo fan, so...this isn't for me, either, but that doesn't make it a bad idea, since otherwise, I think Nintendo should drop out of the (non-portable) console market.

I might buy a Revolution if there's a game that interests me.
I bought the Gamecube for Twin Snakes (which ended being crap) and Resident Evil 4 (which ended being perfect), aside from those games, I have both Prince of Persia and Metroid Prime 2. Besides those games, there are not a single game I want to play on that system, and I'm seeing Nintendo is following the same path with the Revolution.
It would have been great if they included a normal controller and this weird remote thing, that way third party developers aren't forced to make games for that weird control layout.

Radish
3038th Post

"Re(1):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 14:03:post reply

My prediction for this.

Year 1: A couple tech demo type games get released. Kinda fun but get boring very fast.

Year 2: One or two innovative titles are thought up that truly take advantage of the system.

Year 3: Idea well is dry. The controller is more or less abandoned and they just make games for the Gamecube controller which the Revolution supports.

Thus is the cycle of Nintendo gimmicks.

I wasn't expecting anything that exciting so I can't say I'm dissapointed. I never thought to myself that the current controllers were doing anything wrong so Nintendo will have to design stuff specifically for this controller's advantages which I think there's only so much that they can do with it. I mean if something REALLY cool comes out I'll probably pinch pennies and get one, but I don't see this thing getting a lot of stuff other than the things specifically designed for it. Look at how stagnant the Gamecube's library is and it's a pretty generic system.

Quite frankly I don't want to swing my arms or point at shit on a screen when I'm playing a game. Plus this thing with all its add ons look much more complicated than a regualar dual shock or xbox controller which is what I thought they were trying to avoid in the first place.

[this message was edited by Radish on Fri 16 Sep 14:05]

Pollyanna
1399th Post

"Re(4):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 14:05post reply

quote:

It would have been great if they included a normal controller and this weird remote thing, that way third party developers aren't forced to make games for that weird control layout.

But third party developers have two other systems to make games with a normal controller layout. If they want to make screwy games, they can make screwy games for the Revolution. I'm thinking most people who buy a Revolution will realize that it won't have normal games on it.

Radish
3038th Post

"Re(5):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 14:07post reply

quote:

But third party developers have two other systems to make games with a normal controller layout. If they want to make screwy games, they can make screwy games for the Revolution. I'm thinking most people who buy a Revolution will realize that it won't have normal games on it.

I agree with that, but how succesful can a system really be with that much of a niche market? I guess we'll all have to wait until it gets released to find out.

shin ramberk
177th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 16:08post reply

quote:

I think everyone is missing the point. This new fangled controller will force developers to do one of three things...

(a) Make new games that wouldn't have existed before
(b) Make old games that use the new controller
(c) Ignore the Revolution

Onslaught says, this controller is not suitable for DMC. I think its too early to tell. I think its too early to tell whether this new control method will make 'traditional' games more fun. I think it might-- not every game and every genre but I think it will make some games funner. I think it will be funner to play shooters with this gadget.

It won't work with fighting games but it might work for Zelda type games.

We'll see! This is a semi-high risk move but Nintendo sorta knows what its doing. We'll see.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Stifu
290th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 16:23post reply

Can be fun, yeah...

But seriously, after the DS, it's like Nintendo is trying to "limit" themselves on purpose... Such weird hardware may not appeal to many developers. o_o

Phoenix
840th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 16:35post reply

As my friend puts it, Nintendo is the Apple of console industry. I mean the damn thing even looks like a fucking ipod. Anyway it might be a smart move. If they went generic and tried to compete with MS and Sony...they would've done about as well as they did with GC. Btw, I love my GC. In all honesty, there're only about a dozen games that I like but that's enough to warrant the purchase IMO.

Fygee
1213th Post

"Re(3):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 17:20post reply

quote:
As my friend puts it, Nintendo is the Apple of console industry. I mean the damn thing even looks like a fucking ipod. Anyway it might be a smart move. If they went generic and tried to compete with MS and Sony...they would've done about as well as they did with GC. Btw, I love my GC. In all honesty, there're only about a dozen games that I like but that's enough to warrant the purchase IMO.

If done right, it could be quite a success. Actually controlling the action with motion instead of just pressing a button could be pretty damn fun.

Stifu
291th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 17:21post reply

As long as it doesn't end up like those gadget craps like eye toys...

Time Mage
2250th Post

"Re(3):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 17:35post reply

Wow. Nintendo is surely brave. Such a strange and different console is really more than what I expected (because I expected it to be all hype), and it can really revolutionize some kind of games, such as racing games and FPS. Party games, and other "gimmic" games will surely benefit from it, too. And if the GC controller is used as well, I don't see why traditional games won't fit in the console.

This can become really costly for them, or they can definitely find their place in the market. They won't dominate it, that's for sure.

NARUTO
3220th Post

"Re(2):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 17:46:post reply

quote:
Sorry Mister, but I don't.
The way I see it:

On this one I'm with ONSLAUGHT...
I'm curious to see if the Ledgendary Nintendo title and the Nes/SNES/N64 downloadable collection will make ir sucsessfull...

Ridiculousest controlest ever seen in the whole videogame history... well the stupidest infact...

Tu Fuis Ego eris...
Like you I was Like me you'll be...

[this message was edited by NARUTO on Fri 16 Sep 17:52]

HAYATO
494th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 17:46post reply

I'm not a huge Nintendo fan. I started to become interested on its games some years ago, thanks to emulation, but now I have learned to love this company due to all those risks it's taking in order to innovate. I don't know whether this controller is going to success or not, but Nintendo has gained all my respect with it. No videogame company ever included a lightgun, an standard pad and a steering wheel from the very beginning with its console. Bravo for Nintendo.

Grahf
412th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 18:38post reply

Wow, looks like this could have some nice potential. Obviously it's WAY to early to decide one way or the other (it always depends on the games), but I like the direction Nintendo went with this.

People seem to be saying that this controller is too "new-fangled", complicated, and different to support "non-gimmicky" games, but I'm not so sure. The fact that you can attach the nunchaku analog or just turn the controller sideways makes it easy enough to ignore all the pointing features and treat it like a normal controller if necessary. Like they say in the article, this thing has to be able to play classic games too, right?

To me, this just seems a lot like the DS, in ways. On the DS, it's extremely easy to ignore the touch screen feature (and even the dual screen feature) and play normal, traditional games, including GBA titles.

I'm hoping that we will see some innovative, fun titles that make full use of the Revolution's concept, but I wouldn't mind seeing other games that use them minimally, like we're seeing on the DS (i.e. Warioware Touched vs. Castlevania). I think we'll also see a lot of games that would have required peripherals before being incorporated into the controller design. Like Hayato said, this controller can be a traditional pad, a steering wheel, and a light gun right out of the box. I think it fits Nintendo like a glove (no pun intended on the PowerGlove).

Magus Darkstar
249th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 18:38post reply

BRING IT ON, NINTENDO!

I'LL TAKE ANY CHALLENGE YOU OFFER ME AND STRIKE IT DOWN WITH SWIFTNESS.

| Darkstar Okonomiyaki | Mitsuketa! Japanese Lyrics |

Radish
3040th Post

"Re(2):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 20:52:post reply

This may have promise but I'm not sure exactly how. Most of the stuff this would be good for (a sword game, light gun titles) seem like failed arcade games. Nintendo will probably put out enough decent titles to justify it to the fans and I'm actually kind of glad that this isn't going to be the same thing as the Xbox or PS2 since those have the conventional gaming bases covered.

However I'm once again annoyed at the knee jerk Nintendo fans that have already proclaimed this the "greatest thing to happen to gaming ever" like they do every time that Nintendo makes a press release. I really don't see what this thing is going to do that can't already be done with a mouse and keyboard and not be so simple that the concept gets stale before the game is over. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong but 8 hours after we see the controller with no real gameplay footage isn't the time to label it as the next standard.

EDIT: I just watched the video and it looks retarded. I assume everyone who thinks this is the most innovative concept EVAR went out and bought this.

[this message was edited by Radish on Fri 16 Sep 21:06]

Cain Highwind
607th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 21:00post reply

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334/vids_1.html

Just a vid of the controller in action.

Joe Randel
444th Post

Gold Customer

"Re: I want it to be cool..." , posted Fri 16 Sep 21:55:post reply

quote:

I just don't know.

I turn on my PC at work and find this thing plastered on every game site I got too. What is it? A remote? A controller? It's BOTH?!

Frig...

I'm really not sure what to think about this. I was so on the Revolution band wagon until this morning, now I want to get off and walk a bit until I know for sure the driver isn't crazy.

I remember though when the N64 controller came out and I would see or read things on how the controller was too crazy but now everyone has an analog stick on their controller. Heck Sony's got two! Now my thoughts are "how tired is my arm going to be after playing this thing for an extended period of time?" I'm ether going to have ripped arms or it's going to be increasingly more difficult to feed myself.

I don't want a PS3 or an Xbox360. I just want games that are fun. The sample vid sure makes it look like it could be fun. I'll be interacting with my games more... or will I? The DS promised that but most developers just stick a map or stats on the extra screen. I believe as well that Nintendo for the most part will benefit from this system and not other companies. But that's not so bad is it? I'm happy with the games Nintendo makes. And yet I just don't know.

I want it to be cool so badly...

edit: Okay I'm watching the key note speech that Nintendo made at the TGS and I understand now what they are doing and I think they are on the right track with the game market. They're so far a head in their thinking then Sony and Microsoft.

Nintendo's got it together and the more I think about it the more I like it.

I'll be interesting to see Sony and Microsof scramble to counter this development.

"I can't take any more illicit drugs... I can't afford any artificial joy" - Pursuit of Happiness

[this message was edited by Joe Randel on Fri 16 Sep 22:34]

Kikkoken
984th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 21:58post reply

I don't like the design, but I must admit this versatile device really thrills me. It seems to allow a fair number combinations, and it is like having an arcade at home (imagine the music games (ŕ la Samba de Amigo), race games, shooters, and such -- emulation paradise!). RPGs may now be played single-handedly. And a regular gamepad will be marketed too, so there's no real worry to have about ports. Now, what I find even more exciting is the fact you can conceive to plug in it virtually anything instead of the additional analog stick. I'm sure it won't be long till they release a mini keyboard, pedals, or a 6-button pad, or just any other game-specific extension.

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 23:09post reply

I don't necessarily like the actual prototype's design, but the concept seems solid enough. Hey, and when you turn it sideways, you get an NES controller (granted, with a couple extra buttons and a trigger).

I'm just curious as to how it's going to feel when playing games. I'm one of those guys who actually picks up and points the remote at the TV (due to much experience with shoddy remotes in the past). Hopefully one won't have to make grandoise movements to get things done.

Mokona
322th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 23:26:post reply

quote:

Interesting... to see 2 guys masturbating they controller... erm...

Joking aside, I can see some cool uses of the device, and I'm beginning to understand it better. I thought it was just a light-gun type device, i.e. a pointer. but it seems more than that judging by the crazy movements you see those people do in front of their screens.
The way I see it, it has to reproduce the position of the device on screen, not just show where it's pointing (or else, most of the people in the video are playing on the ceiling and walls instead of the TV screen...)
I saw some golf, some sword action, some shooting, some conducting (WTF? a music conductor game, that could be fun!), some cooking (Iron chef: the game II, whoa), etc.

I'm still not convinced, but I'm definitely interested and curious.

Blah!

[this message was edited by Mokona on Fri 16 Sep 23:31]

tenguman
256th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Fri 16 Sep 23:34post reply

Ugly and gimmicky.

The concept itself is not bad at all.
But still...I just don't know.

「この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ。」

Ishmael
2204th Post

"The revolution will not be televised" , posted Fri 16 Sep 23:36post reply

Finally, a controller I can lose in the cushions of my couch! I'm not sure why Nintendo is hell-bent on making controllers that are so esoteric that they force games to be designed around them but the Revolution controller takes the cake. If this had been a peripheral it would have been clever and fun but as the default controller it's crazy. Also, does everybody have their game systems hooked up to wide screen televisions that have lots of open space in front of them so you can flail about with your controller? Speaking for myself I'm certain I would knock over a lamp the first time I tried the thing. How solid are the controllers? I hope all the gizmos inside are well built since I'm sure controllers are going to go sailing out of the hands of more than a few over-anxious players. The video showing a man repeatedly pounding the controller onto a table gave me pause as well.

While I appreciate Nintendo trying something new this controller looks so quirky that I doubt it will create new possibilities for games. Instead, I agree with Radish and the others who said that the games for this controller will either be shallow party games or will quickly become annoying due to the unique interface. Did Nintendo get the idea for this controller from watching people who tried to play Soul Calibur with the DC fishing rod controller?

Radish
3040th Post

"Re(1):The revolution will not be televised" , posted Sat 17 Sep 00:08post reply

Hay guys the Revolution is now!

Falikors
143th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):The revolution will not be televised" , posted Sat 17 Sep 00:09post reply

I'ma little late... but. I dig it!

I cant wait to try it out

メガ秘密攻撃#48:
牛インストールする!

bootation
490th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):The revolution will not be televised" , posted Sat 17 Sep 00:43post reply

quote:
I'ma little late... but. I dig it!

I cant wait to try it out

I like it. Its the best controller since the nes , because it's just like the classic nes controller. I think the classic nes controller and the saturn s-pad are my favorite controllers.

I like that its small and i like that the console itself is small. I hate seeing huge consoles. I dont even think they are hardly really even competing with sony. They are really doing their own thing.

One bad thing tho is that nintendo is gonna continue sucking for fighting games....prolly....

Pretty please check out my neato sweet awesome webpage

Iggy
7233th Post

"Re(3):The revolution will not be televised" , posted Sat 17 Sep 00:57post reply

A controller made to be held with one hand.

I hope Nintendo will allow Alicesoft, Elf and UGCP to develop on their console this time.

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Kikkoken
985th Post

"Re(4):The revolution will not be televised" , posted Sat 17 Sep 01:24post reply

quote:
A controller made to be held with one hand.

I see you coming.

Radish
3043th Post

"Re(5):The revolution will not be televised" , posted Sat 17 Sep 01:29post reply

quote:

I see you coming.

Sexy

Just a Person
736th Post

"Re(1):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Sat 17 Sep 01:55post reply

Different... and quite weird. Interesting, indeed, but weird.

I don´t know. It could be really nice, actually. The concept does sound interesting and promising. But we will have to wait and see...

BTW, I remember reading that Nintendo was afraid that Sony or Microsoft could steal this idea. But I can´t see these companies trying to make a controller like this (even though PS3 has a boomerang controller, but I guess Sony isn´t making it to be really thrown at the TV...).

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Radish
3044th Post

"Re(2):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Sat 17 Sep 02:24post reply

quote:
Different... and quite weird. Interesting, indeed, but weird.

I don´t know. It could be really nice, actually. The concept does sound interesting and promising. But we will have to wait and see...

BTW, I remember reading that Nintendo was afraid that Sony or Microsoft could steal this idea. But I can´t see these companies trying to make a controller like this (even though PS3 has a boomerang controller, but I guess Sony isn´t making it to be really thrown at the TV...).

I really think that all the "everyone is going to stealz our ideas my precious" talk was just to drive us into a consumer frenzy. I mean no one cared this much when the Xbox360 controller was announced and it does some pretty neat stuff that hasn't been done before as well.

Sony might yank the concept to make some games a la Eyetoy or something but I don't think Nintendo has to worry about anyone going back to the drawing board to compete with this.

Maou
703th Post

"Re(2):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Sat 17 Sep 03:08post reply

quote:

Year 3: Idea well is dry.

But it's evolutionarily revolutionarily evolutionary! er....WAIT
Radish made Revolution remind me of THIS.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Radish
3045th Post

"Re(3):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Sat 17 Sep 03:13post reply

quote:

Year 3: Idea well is dry.

But it's evolutionarily revolutionarily evolutionary! er....WAIT
Radish made Revolution remind me of THIS.

I guarantee that if the Virtual Boy had never been release and was just announced as the Revolution (maybe with some fancier graphics), the people saying that "finally Nintendo is saving the videogame industry" today would be saying exactly the same thing.

KTallguy
749th Post

"Re(4):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Sat 17 Sep 07:04post reply

You guys are missing the big picture.

MMCafe doesn't represent the average gamer. Or the average non-gamer. We represent this elite, hardcore gaming market that is a decent segment, but not the whole pie.

Nintendo, by releasing a cool looking, familiar shaped, straightforwardly functioning controller, is really smart. REALLY smart.

What this is going to do is make people who would have never thought of buying a game console, buy one.

This is going to expand the idea of who plays games. Nintendo is making the gaming market 'pie' bigger.

If Nintendo can market this system well, they may effectivly sweep a large segment of the market away from Sony and Microsoft. All of these two company's efforts are focused on capturing and expanding the hardcore gamer market. I'm a hardcore gamer, and I can assure you that I will buy a PS3 and MGS4, because I'm a hardcore gamer. But the reality is, that market is not that large.

With all the R&D going into the controller, I'm sure all sorts of crazy things will pop up as perphrials. (sp) It's a smart idea to sell 'attachments' because it's simpler than creating brand new controllers and it's more cost effective to manufacture them, I'm assuming. The simplicty and familiarity of a controller that looks like a TV remote is incredibly smart. This will open the market up even more!

Sony is trying to do what Nintendo is doing with Eyetoy, but the DS, and now the new Nintendo system and controller are really changing the 'gamer' demographic. Games are slowly becoming more mainstream, Nintendo's just trying to accelerate the process.

I'm not the target market, but I'm intrigued. And besides, competition is always good for the industry. I hope Nintendo fights! I hope they do well!

Proud Supporter of Next Generation GAMEPLAY
"テメエがヤクブソクなんだよ!"

EternalNewbie
197th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Sat 17 Sep 07:30post reply

Ok, my first reaction to this was "How the hell am I supposed to play Smash Bros. on that?!", and then went to sleep. Now having sobered up a bit and having a bit more clear thought, I have mixed feelings but leaning towards Nintendo a bit more.

I don't think they are going to Revolutionize the industry with the new controller, but I do think that this could be an Ace in the hole to really get Nintendo back in the playing field with Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo is not forcing any developers to unwillingly make games for their new playing format. What they are doing is giving developers a new field in which stretch and practice their creativity once more. As I've told many people before, if you want your product to really stand out, you will either have to do something that has been done, BETTER than it was done the first time, or make something brand new. You can't expect your product to really wow people if they have seen it done better before. Now, in my opinion, the X-box 360 and the PS3 are taking the first route. They want to take something that has been done before (DMC, DoA, FF, etc etc), and do it with better graphics and refined gameplay. While there will be new, revolutionary games made for these two systems, they will not be in the majority of games made. Nintendo, in my opinion, is trying to do the latter option of making something completely new. They will probably keep making a good amount of "normal" type games and familiar Nintendo character faces to entice normal gamers to buy the Revolution, but it seems that they are going for new types of games being the majority of games made for their system, while only have a smaller portion to be refined gameplay games of game types done before. Giving your average game designer out there who doesn't want to or doesn't think he can make a better INSERT POPULAR GAME NAME HERE a system to have fun with and let his imagination run wild in a new type of field he couldn't play with before.

Let's face facts people, while many games are shit loads of fun out there and there still are new imaginary games being made (ie. Katamari); the vast majority of games out there are just games that are constantly repeating themselves. Nintendo is just as guilty of this as anyone. What gamers out there are doing is forcing developers to keep constantly out-doing themselves. We want the first dose of our favorite games done a second time, but even BETTER and MORE FUN than it was the first time. Sometimes, the developers mess up, and then fans are either turned off of the series or demand that the company "Do it again and do it right this time!". If, they do develop the second game to be even better and more fun than the first, the cycle repeats and gamers once again want the second game to be done again, but this time even better. Basically, it seems to me that many gamers feel "If they were actually able to add all this great content the second time, imagine if they add GENERIC IDEA HERE (ie, more characters) or what if they twist this game idea a bit and make it like this". Sometimes, developers get full of themselves and seem to actually think that each new game of the series is better than the last (sometimes true, sometimes not) and go on a milking spree making new sequels every year (I love them, but Capcom is probably one of the most guilty here with the Megaman and Street Fighter series). So, to sum it up before I start raving and ranting more than I have been doing, all games we currently play are hooked to a sort of gaming well of ideas, and while far from empty, the well has been tapped for many many years and only getting worse.

So, Nintendo is trying to make a new well. It borrows properties of the old well, but it seems to be Nintendo is trying to make this a new well. Business wise, I think this could be a good idea. Leaving Sony and Microsoft to kill themselves in direct competition, Nintendo is providing an alternative way of making games for designers and an alternative way of playing games for the consumer. I see the new console war being like this "Sony or Microsoft Versus Nintendo". I say Sony or Microsoft because in most probability, gamers are going to be buying only one of these. Many game types seem to go back and forth between those two systems easily, so barring any must have games for both consoles, gamers are getting the "gaming experience" with only one of those consoles. In time, they want to buy another console, I think they will lean towards Nintendo, so that they can "try something new" and still keep it relatively cheap in terms of buying a new console. Now, I may be horrible wrong and this fiasco could blow up in Nintendo's face so horrible that such a tragedy hasn't been seen since the Virtual Boy. It could be that gamers don't want a new type of gaming, that we are all happy where we are right now, and that we will make that known to Nintendo through sales. But, I don't know the future, I just like the fact Nintendo is doing something new. That's it. In all honest, I like the idea of what they doing, just not really comfortable in the approach (I still think that controller looks too much like a remote control for the TV. And playing one handed seems.... weird).

EternalNewbie:
The Einherjar Hachitoushi -- The 8 Warriors of the Ragnarok Plan

Mosquiton
1693th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Sat 17 Sep 08:15post reply

I'm definitely not surprised to see this idea taking heavy criticism from hardcorps gamers. How are we going to play our six button fighters with this crazy controller?We're not! We'll either get some NEW goddamn experiences, and IMO it's about fucking time, or Nintendo is going to die trying. As for me, I think I can dig it. I'm damn sure going to try it out.

Oh, and keep in mind there will be other control options anyway.

And hey, it's sure to be cheaper than the next-generation sequel machines. I admit though, Nintendo really, really needs one or two totally badass launch titles for this thing.

But seriously, bring it on.

/ / /

GreatJustice!
14th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Sat 17 Sep 10:31post reply

Hay guyz anyone think mebbe they will allow youz guyz to use the GC controllers on da Revvy?!!!!

Jesus, I find it tiring being such a dick online. Do you really think only gimmick games can and will be released on this system? Don't be idiots.

Moving Every Zig for GREAT JUSTICE!

ONSLAUGHT
3498th Post

"A winner is you." , posted Sat 17 Sep 10:59:post reply

quote:
Hay guyz anyone think mebbe they will allow youz guyz to use the GC controllers on da Revvy?!!!!

Jesus, I find it tiring being such a dick online. Do you really think only gimmick games can and will be released on this system? Don't be idiots.

Come on, we are talking about which games could be played WITH the controller Nintendo is showing us. Did you see the video? it was a bunch of retarded people playing stupid games without a hint of "normal" games (there was a girl playing with Super Mario Bros. sounds, but that doesn't mean jack right now). IF Nintendo says a GC controller or any other kind of normal controller can be plugged into the system, well, then it's a whole different matter, and would change my perspective on the system. At this moment, to me, it's like somebody said: a bunch of failed arcade games on a gimmicky system.
Don't be an idiot, and learn to grasp the concept of "context".

Damn, and to think we've only seen the controller and not anything about graphics or processing power yet...

[this message was edited by ONSLAUGHT on Sat 17 Sep 10:59]

Cain Highwind
612th Post

"Re(1):A winner is you." , posted Sat 17 Sep 11:32:post reply

quote:

IF Nintendo says a GC controller or any other kind of normal controller can be plugged into the system, well, then it's a whole different matter, and would change my perspective on the system.

Actually they did I found a quick short summary of what Satoru Iwata says in the unveiling video

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the new controller and if it will support out classic games / multiplatform titles, if you actually go over to GameSpot and watch the full Revolution controller unveiling, Iwata does say at 15:15 of the video:

- Nintendo will release what is called a "classic styled" Expansion Controller.

- The Revolution controller can be "inserted" into a classic styled (shaped) controller.

- Iwata says all you favorite games including virtual console stuff and multi stuff will play fine on Revolution.

Sounds kind of like Dreamcast in a sense. You know with the whole Memory card/VMU unit, except replace the VMU unit with the "main" controller and the ability to plug it into anything else. Plus the "remote" is already wireless and has a rumble feature.

I'm not saying I disagree with what you said though, by itself I wouldn't be very interested either.

[this message was edited by Cain Highwind on Sat 17 Sep 11:33]

ONSLAUGHT
3500th Post

"Re(2):A winner is you." , posted Sat 17 Sep 11:37:post reply

quote:

Actually they did I found a quick short summary of what Satoru Iwata says in the unveiling video

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the new controller and if it will support out classic games / multiplatform titles, if you actually go over to GameSpot and watch the full Revolution controller unveiling, Iwata does say at 15:15 of the video:

- Nintendo will release what is called a "classic styled" Expansion Controller.

- The Revolution controller can be "inserted" into a classic styled (shaped) controller.

- Iwata says all you favorite games including virtual console stuff and multi stuff will play fine on Revolution.

Sounds kind of like Dreamcast in a sense. You know with the whole Memory card/VMU unit, except replace the VMU unit with the "main" controller and the ability to plug it into anything else. Plus the "remote" is already wireless and has a rumble feature.

I'm not saying I disagree with what you said though, by itself I wouldn't be very interested either.

AH! then this changes my views on this system.
Your VMU comparison makes a lot of sense.

[this message was edited by ONSLAUGHT on Sat 17 Sep 11:39]

VManOfMana
630th Post

"Re(1):A winner is you." , posted Sat 17 Sep 11:39post reply

http://www.irwebcasting.com/050916/03/ff3672f7df/main/index_hi.htm

There are a lot of things that the articles online are not mentioning because of lack of space, but watching the keynote can answer a lot of questions.

Nintendo is not going to follow the same path as Sony as Microsoft. That has been pretty obvious in the past. Nintendo is not restricting itself with gimmicky games - what they are trying to do is to rebuild the gaming market with games that might appeal to people who usually do not play games. At the same time, they do not want to leave the current gamer behind, which is why the Revolution will support standard controllers (it already has GC ports, and the keynote mentions an expansion that is just like a regular controller).

In other words, Nintendo will try with the Revolution to make the next step after the success of the Nintendo DS and Game Boy Micro. The new controller is aimed to create new simpler games that everyone can pick up, while still supporting games in a traditional sense.

Afterall, Nintendo was its strongest when games were simpler.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

trogdor
39th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Sat 17 Sep 12:53post reply

innovations aside, i rather not pay extra money to 'accessorize' a controller.

"We want a system that takes advantage of new technology for something that anyone, regardless of age or gender, can pick up and play."

(anyone with deep pockets)

Burning Ranger
1296th Post

"I'll wait..." , posted Sat 17 Sep 13:41post reply

...until I try the thing before judging. I remember when the GC controller, and even the N64 controller, took a lot of flak for their designs... I pretty much was a non-believer. Then I tried them and found how suitable they were. We'll see if this Revolution controller measures up to the hype... all in due time. Besides, they got Zelda:OOT working with a GC controller, right?

But for those of us who might not get used to the Revolution controller, I wonder if Nintendo will release a GC-shaped controller...

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

Felicia & Morrigan: no explanation necessary.

Cain Highwind
612th Post

"New Controller Mockup" , posted Sat 17 Sep 14:36post reply

IGN posted (found and mirrored by Vash at S-C) a mockup of what the controller functionality should be like (IE still not official), but it'll be very similar in the final version

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8857/understandingtherevolutioncont.jpg

Looks like I was right, very much like a Dreamcast.

Phoenix
844th Post

"Re(2):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Sat 17 Sep 17:10:post reply

quote:

(anyone with deep pockets)

Ummm...I don't think Revolution needs to worry about being too expensive with PS3 on the horizon. Anyways, if this remote can support traditional games well then no worries. It's like the DS. Developers don't HAVE to innovate but they can if they want to. Besides if I remember correctly, all 3 next gen consoles have USB ports. So we should be able to plug in almost anything with a USB converter... MAS stick etc. come to mind.

[this message was edited by Phoenix on Sat 17 Sep 17:11]

Iggy
7240th Post

"Re(1):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Sat 17 Sep 21:13post reply

What Kawazu, Kojima and Horii think of the revolution.

Nothing interesting ("waaah, it's new, I wonder how I will use it in my games") but what I like is the very fact Nintendô asked these three big names to talk about it.
It doesn't mean they will actually do anything on the console (none of them did anything on the DS, did they ?) but I think Nintendô might be more open to 3rd party developpers this time around.
I hope it's what it means.

ねんがんの 7000をてにいれたぞ!
  そう かんけいないね
=> 殺してでもうばいとる
  ゆずってくれ たのむ!!

Kikkoken
988th Post

"Re(2):The Revolution's revolutionary revoluti" , posted Sat 17 Sep 23:00post reply

quote:
What Kawazu, Kojima and Horii think of the revolution.

Nothing interesting ("waaah, it's new, I wonder how I will use it in my games") but what I like is the very fact Nintendô asked these three big names to talk about it.
It doesn't mean they will actually do anything on the console (none of them did anything on the DS, did they ?) but I think Nintendô might be more open to 3rd party developpers this time around.

Kojima's Boktai DS is yet to be unveiled, but it seems to be shelved right now.

Burning Ranger
1298th Post

"Re(1):New Controller Mockup" , posted Sun 18 Sep 00:58post reply

quote:
IGN posted (found and mirrored by Vash at S-C) a mockup of what the controller functionality should be like (IE still not official), but it'll be very similar in the final version

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8857/understandingtherevolutioncont.jpg

Looks like I was right, very much like a Dreamcast.

Now that's what I'm talking about--it'll especially be good if I want to play older NGC games. It eases the uncertainty regarding the new controller's compatibility with older games.

Then again, I forsee a problem with pricing for these controller add-ons. Lately, the trend has been $25-$30 for additional controllers, which seems outrageous as it's about 3/5 as much as the price of a game. The Wavebird cost around $30 when it was released. My point is that it's yet to be seen if the big N will stick us just for a more familiar controller.

kurushimi
101th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):New Controller Mockup" , posted Sun 18 Sep 01:08post reply

quote:

Then again, I forsee a problem with pricing for these controller add-ons. Lately, the trend has been $25-$30 for additional controllers, which seems outrageous as it's about 3/5 as much as the price of a game. The Wavebird cost around $30 when it was released. My point is that it's yet to be seen if the big N will stick us just for a more familiar controller.

Wait...how is $25 - $30 too expensive for a controller? Considering the wavebird was wireless to boot, I think that's a very reasonable price, considering the stuff that's inside it (force feedback, pressure analogue, etc). Any cheaper, and you run into the flimsy cheap-feeling third party stuff.

With that said, I don't doubt for a second that Nintendo will include at least one traditional-style controller with their console.

Mosquiton
1695th Post

"Powerful drinking buddies" , posted Sun 18 Sep 10:15:post reply

quote:
Kawazu, Kojima and Horii... but what I like is the very fact Nintendô asked these three big names to talk about it... I think Nintendô might be more open to 3rd party developpers this time around.

What needs to happen: Miyamoto, Yamauchi, and Aonuma need to take Kojima to a bar... leave Iwata out of this, he'd just fuck things up.

Miyamoto should pay Kojima one or two huge, genuine complements. How could he not be moved?

Aonuma should sit around smoking and going with the flow of the conversation, backing his colleagues up and keeping things agreeable.

Yamauchi's should bluntly insult the Metal Gear series and Kojima personally. He really wants to see Kojima make a game worthy of his talents before he dies, he says. Then he can down his gin and tonic in one gulp, slam his glass down on the table, clench his teeth, and shed a big, fat tear.

Wash, rinse, and repeat with other big names in the industry.

EDIT: Oh! Look! It's already happening.

Kojima and Metal Gear series artist Youji Shinkawa abandon 'Solid' series to work on mystery revolution title!!!

Bonus: Snake rumored to die in MGS5!

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Sun 18 Sep 10:23]

Burning Ranger
1299th Post

"Anger" , posted Sun 18 Sep 12:30post reply

quote:

Wait...how is $25 - $30 too expensive for a controller? Considering the wavebird was wireless to boot, I think that's a very reasonable price, considering the stuff that's inside it (force feedback, pressure analogue, etc). Any cheaper, and you run into the flimsy cheap-feeling third party stuff.

I remember my parents buying me an SNES in 1992-- it came with two controllers and Super Mario World. It cost $200 or so. Jump to today-- a PStwo with ONE controller and NO game costs $200. Additional PS2 controllers (1st party) cost $25. The Xbox 360 will cost $299--with the bare minimum of features, ONE wired controller and NO games. And the PS3 and Revolution will have some other scheme at an equivalent price.

And, yes, $25-$35 is a lot of money, when you compare it to the bigger picture. The average next generation game will probably cost $40-60--now why should game companies charge almost half the price of a game for a controller? The same goes for memory cards And you know what's gonna make all of this worse? The fact that the controllers are wireless. Don't be surprised if controllers cost as much as the games themselves.

Now call me old fashioned, but I just don't like how the industry is going. Just as I feel that no handheld should cost as much or more than a company's current console (PSP and NDS), I don't feel a controller should cost even half as much as a game. The traditional model of the game industry has been to price hardware relatively low and software relatively high. In the end, it's the consumer that's being hurt.

trogdor
40th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Powerful drinking buddies" , posted Sun 18 Sep 12:36post reply

quote:

Bonus: Snake rumored to die in MGS5!

spoiler - snake kills dumbeldore!

Mosquiton
1695th Post

"pricing" , posted Mon 19 Sep 00:57post reply

quote:

Now call me old fashioned, but I just don't like how the industry is going... I don't feel a controller should cost even half as much as a game. The traditional model of the game industry has been to price hardware relatively low and software relatively high. In the end, it's the consumer that's being hurt.

Well, remember the SNES controller was not wireless, had no force feedback, and no analog control. And it certainly didn't have a three dimensional tilt-sensor pointing device thing. Actually, by that line of thought, the Revolution controllers might be a bit more... and with the Xbox 360's wireless controllers priced at $49.99, I'd personally be hopping with joy if I could get a next-gen controller for 25 bucks.

And about the price of next-gen software (for the 360 at least) we're looking at sixty dollars US before tax. Yikes.

Of course they do have those convenient bundles, starting at only $699 if you don't feel like you need a hard drive. What a value!

This isn't official, finalized pricing but I doubt it's that far off. The Revolution should still be the cheapest by far over all. But I guess for people with tight budgets it might be a good time to take up retro gaming.

/ / /

aderack
162th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):pricing" , posted Thu 22 Sep 08:40post reply

Yeah. For those lacking context, here's a more detailed writeup of Iwata's presentation:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1078&Itemid=2